“Will be back soon .....” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Turi Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Turi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Turi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Hang Lekiu | Nongsa, Batam Island, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29465, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore
“Will be back soon .....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

We have heard and read many reviews about the resort's services and food, etc.
Most of them were negative feedbacks and for myself, personally do not feel
like staying there.

Under my husband's persuasion, my whole family packed our bags and visited Turi
Beach Resort on Saturday 23/10/2010 - 2D1N.

Upon arrival and departure at the ferry terminal, a well spoken service man from the resort greet us with a big smile! We reached the resort after a 5 min drive and stayed at Riani wing Room 0141, the furthest, which is a long walk from the main lobby. The reception guy should have given us a room nearer to the pool as we have two very young children with us. This is the only complaint we have.

To my surprise, we really enjoyed our stay there. Food is great, service is average but in my opinion, the mangement have done a good job and efforts in proofing most of the crtics wrong.

We are still in the process of getting a room during the November school holidays to celebrate my son's 8th birthday there. This time, we will stay at Tirta wing for a change and to Mr. Canovas, many thanks for your prompt replys to all our emails. We believe under your service and guidance, you will make each of our stays at Turi beach resort a memorable one!

Take care and hope to see you soon.....

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 7, 2010
Dear Mrs. Chong,

Glad to read to your Trip Advisor post.

Thank you very much for your personal review and additional email communications.

All well noted and action.

I look forward meeting you and your family during your next trip in December.

If you need any assistance prior to your arrival, please let me know.

Cheers,

550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We stay there from 17-19 Sept and its meant to celebrate our 5th Anniversary with my hubby. We booked from agent a kind sized bedroom but instead we got a double beded room instead request for a change of room but staff said that all room fully booked and push the blame to my agent. Nvm, i called my agent to confirm and its confirm that we had made the correct room reservation. No room changes for us the first night and we got to sleep seperatly.

The 2nd nite we got a room change, but the room air con spoilted. The whole room wad so stuffy. Called the operator and they sent 2 engineer up twice to repair and check but after they check none came back to tell us how is the aircon problem and still it is still not cold! Called the operator again and they check on it again tis time round it got air coming out but still its warm but am glad the operator did call back and check the aircon problem. But, they did a check 3 times despite our 3 time calling to complain y cant they do anything like for example change a room with aircon for us?

Well, overall i wanna let the management know that me and my hubby is having a very unpleasant stay to celebrate our 5th Anniversary at Turi :(

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Ms. Peggy,

Good afternoon.

Please advice your alternative email address.

I have sent three emails to your attention since your first email on 20th September 2010.

Looking forward to receiving your feedback, I remain.

With best regards,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

I shall write this review systematically with the rating scales as a guide, with a new scale of food. This review is not sponsored nor am i in anyway related to management staff.

Our combined experience in F&B: 14 years
Room: 208 Tirta Wing Premier room. Duration 3D2N Thurs till Sat Sept
Note to all Singaporeans: no need to change much rupiah. They are well versed in Sing dollar.

On arrival from Singapore, land transfer was already there waiting for us. It would add a certain class if they had sign boards with our names on it. Other than that, it was smooth.

Cleanliness: Why 5 stars? The whole resort is super clean. Hardly saw litter anywhere. Dustbins were easy to find.

Location: It is about 30 mins from Nagoya town where the cheap buys are. Lesson learnt, be daring and head to half the price of everything. Thought I had a good deal when I reduced 120000 rupiah to 100000 for a pair of Oakleys, but just after the deal, saw a shop which was selling it at 50% discount.

Room: It is actually optimistic 3.5 stars as simple measures can be done to up it. Room was excellent, twin bed though a king was preferred due to late booking. Slight concern was that the reading lights by the bed wasnt working. Door bell (or was it) wasnt working. Of more concern was the mini bar fridge had some sticky brown coffee residue in it. Very comfy beds, good linen, high ceiling. Asthetically, some form of art would be nice on the wall. A fan outside for the balcony would be a god send on still warm nights. Another point would be a curtain at the entrance would provide better privacy. All rooms face the sea. It is however very strange that if each day the rooms are entitled to two bottles of water, I wonder why we were charged for it when we asked for a replenishment.

Value: Due to the holidays, demand and supply pumped up the prices of the rooms slightly above the perception of the dollar. We would have stayed another night if it was cheaper or on a goodwill basis of extension. There are two distinct moods that we experienced. A very quiet weekday experience and the very promising full weekend party scene! My partner was very disappointed that the pool bar wasnt manned neither on the thurs or fri that we stayed, but we figured it was more of a ' if there were people swimming, it would be manned ' deployment strategy. If you arent into water sports and spas, then that leaves the club house the only form of entertainment. But it puzzled us as to why food wasnt served there. Bar snacks would have been most excellent. We arent too sure about the directive of the resort as it caters to both couples and families. As a couple, the nightlife was pretty much dead. What would have been spectacular was the the pool bar at the new wing be opened always. It was quite sad to see it unmanned. There is nothing more pleasant than having a drink by the pool or by the beach. The island bar out into the jetty should serve some kind of food as well. So if you want a quiet getaway, weekdays, a lively situation, weekends.

And oh yes, a free internet terminal at the reception would be most useful and appreciated for quick checkups for work. Pamphlets of places of interest would be good too.

Sleep quality: Rooms are quite sound proofed. Can hear the occasional engines or laughter from the children at the pool but no biggie. You are supposed to enjoy the sun at a beach resort. Would have loved a bolster.

And now for the food scale, one that is of major importance especially to a foodie country like Singapore. It is of great regret that of my epicurean palate, it rendered only a pessimistic 2.5 max 3 stars.

The steak at the teppanyaki and grill is one of the toughest I have ever eaten. Asked for medium it came well done. Brought me another one but still....it was leather. I could only manage 3 bites out of it i got so tired of chewing. However, the prawns were of excellent quality.

Singaporeans are steamboat hotpot aficonados. Come to Singapore and experience it and then put it out on the menu. Not this way. The beef slices must be thin, not thick. Two seperate soup styles in one pot is the common theme. And at $25, it should be a buffet. Another downer was that although reservations was made and confirmed twice, the restaurant didnt get it and we had to wait. We were planning to cancel as we were in Nagoya but was told prior that 3pm was the latest we could cancel. We had to rush back for it. But I think they made it up with a discount sort of.

Local fare: Have items like the bakso sapi on the menu. We tried it in the local town mall and it was DELISH! simple honest noodle soup with meatballs and spicy condiments, I could eat that everyday for breakfast! And bring on the fire, the sambal had no kick!

Would have loved so much to try the sat seafood bbq buffet, but we had to leave. We will come back just to experience that!

Service: Ah.. the make or break in any service industry. It must be clearly understood that this is very much a 2 way street. I tend to treat service staff with extra understanding and consideration it is very tiring in the hotel line. So as such, my comments are based on the return of appreciation. That means if you go there waiting to be treated like a king when ur attitude towards the staff is of a subservient type, then you might not get the same treatment as please they are also human. I suppose these reviews would be mostly read by Singaporeans, so drop your impatient attitude at the ferry terminal. Be friends with them. Tip for good service, add a verbal appreciation for the excellent ones.

There is a rare quality of sincerity that stems from their interaction with the guests. They strive to be the best but without that plasticity that reeks of distinct city relations. 90% of the staff I dare say are at the top of their game. The rest of the 10% are probably very tired as I have seen some at breakfast, lunch and dinner service.

Two outstanding staff that I need to mention are Iqbar from the Taming Sari and Franky from reception area. Iqbar is such a sincere young lad, always taking care of both of us. We were treated like VIPs since the first day he met us during breakfast. He even came to say goodbye when his shift ended. It is very rare that other than management staff, service staff would bother to have an interaction with guests. My partner and I were both extremely moved and impressed by him.Be careful we might poach him back to Singapore to be a trainer!

Franky Franky Franky. I met him only during checkout and I had to leave my bags at the counter. At first he was visibly quite disturbed that we went into the bag counter to leave our stuff. I understood his concerns. Things changed dramatically when I addressed him by his name, thanking him for his assistance. He started making jokes with me, teasing me about my ferry details going wrong, even up till the departure gate! It goes to show, one small gesture can go along way, and they appreciate that.

So would we return for another time?: Yes but for off peak rates so that we can stay longer to have a a total built up towards the weekend. And only at the traditional huts because it is a personal preference.

The clincher for us was the attitude, personality and service that we were lucky to be bestowed upon. No hotel can ever get 5 stars if the service staff was bad, no matter how excellent the facilities are. The interaction with both Iqbar and Franky and the rest that we experienced is deemed priceless and thus warrant recognition for their service.

Please do contact me if you need more details.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2010
Dear D_Junkay,

Weekend greetings from Turi Beach!

Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your feedback earlier.

I want to personally thank you for your detailed review and hospitality insights.

Your comments and recommendations are very valuable and indeed brought to the attention of my team to ensure that we can avoid those shortcomings during your next stay with us.

I am confident that with the new incorporation of Mr. Mino – Director of Food and Beverage – your next culinary experience will be certainly enhanced.

Iqbar and Franky will be recognized for their contribution and personal attention to make your stay a memorable one.

If I can be of any assistance to you or your friends, please contact me at your convenience.

Glad to personally welcome you back during your next stay at the resort.

antonio@nongsaresorts.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Pro
A great getaway, quiet beach and resort. Some seasports. The staff was smiley and polite at all times. The breakfast spread was quite good though. There's two pools, one at each wing. The one at Tirta wing was in excellent condition.
Cons
After reading bad review about the Riani wing, I decided to book a room from the new Tirta Wing. After clicking 'tirta wing'at the hotel website, I was directed to the booking page, where I clicked on the 'package rates'and booked a room. Upon arriving, I was told that my booking was for superior room which was only in Riani wing, none in Tirta wing. True to the reviews that I read, the room was in old condition, and infested with mosquitos, they were still actively attacking at night even when we had the aircon on, thus we did not sleep well, with buzzing and biting.
Contrary to the breakfast, the ala carte food (lunch, dinner) served at the cafe was not nice, as read in previous reviews, not even the local food. One of the food we ordered, Ikan Bakar, the fish was really not fresh to the extend of smelly. There were also mosquitoes and a stray cat accompanying us when we dine. However, there's no other place nearby to eat unless we want to travel out to town, which is a distance away.
Conclusion
I will only return if the mosquito problem is resolved and ensure that the next time I stay in the Tirta wing.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 18, 2010
Sea, sun and nature greetings from Turi Beach!

This is to show my appreciation for taking the time to share with us your latest stay experience.

Your comments have been shared amongst the relevant executives to ensure that similar happenings do not occur again.

Regarding your comments on mosquitoes, we have increased the fogging frequency inside and outside the rooms. In addition, we are in the process to install electric mosquito repellent devices in every room as well as planting lemon grass in the gardens.

Cats are very important to assist the resort in controlling certain type of pests in a jungle environment. In the meantime, we will manage the cat community to ensure that cats are properly tagged and not allowed to enter the restaurants during meal periods.

I would appreciate if you could contact me at antonio@nongsaresorts.com for additional management comments on your last stay.

Thank you very much for your time and feedback.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We like to do our homeworks, so before we travelled to Turi Beach Resort we read quite a few reviews and, whereas we still booked up anyway, we noted a few adverse comments regarding the staff, so this was on our minds when we arrived.

Any such worries were quite unfounded, as it turned out. Whereas we all speak from personal experience, ours was that the staff were excellent. We brought our six-month-old son along, and they were all brilliant with him. Constant fuss and affection. He loved it!

We decided to extend our stay for a couple of days, and promptly ran out of baby food! Cue the chef pureeing some tasty mixed vegetables which the little guy preferred to his usual stuff. What was the charge for this service? Zero... zilch.

Running low on nappies? Resort shop closed? Problem? Not at all! They had the shop opened and we got what we needed right away. As for the managerial staff, the GM was very attentive in making sure customers (not just us!) were kept happy, and his under-managers seemed keen to ensure that our stay was enjoyed to the max. To summarise, the staff here basically couldn't do enough to help and nothing was too much trouble.

As for the resort itself, yes, we'd agree that it's not a true five star, but who cares? You're supposed to be out on the beach, right? But that's not to say anybody slums it. The rooms are all comfortable and clean, with adequate facilities (we tried the traditional and the more "modern" versions). Again, room service staff pleasant and helpful throughout.

The beach (or beaches, actually - there are two of them) are fairly short, but clean and quiet. Shallow, clear water that's pretty safe for kids. Jetskis and all the usual paraphernalia are available for hire. Two very nice swimming pools cater for those who don't want to venture into the sea.

The east-west orientation of the resort makes for lovely sunrises and sunsets (tropical weather permitting, of course!).

My wife enjoyed her time at the spa. A variety of massages and treatments on offer.

The main restaurant offers a fairly limited but (in our experience) very tasty menu (try the Indonesian oxtail soup!). Didn't notice any problems with the slow service that another reviewer reported.

Main bar was quiet but adequate, with pool tables and TV's for those inclined to watch.

It's not a round-the-clock-drinking-and-dancing type place, so maybe if you're a night-clubber or raver, you won't find too much to interest you here (try Bintan if that's what you fancy), but if it's a quiet, chill-out family break you are after, we would recommend this resort to anyone... and yes, we will be going back!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 26, 2010
Dear Mr. McMahon & Family,

It was a pleasure to have you with us.

We very much appreciate your comments and the beautiful photos you took from the resort.

Please extend my regards to your wife.

Glad to have you back in Turi Beach during your next vacation.

Have a great weekend!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

Turi Beach has really improved! We stayed for 3D2N and took 4 dbl/twins at the Tirta Wing (the new wing), and had a great time. We had rooms on the 2nd floor, so it was easy to walk down the steps to the beach and pool. Room were cleaned daily, and amenities replenished, and all rooms were spacious with a balcony facing the sea. Spacious enough to enjoy pre and post dinner drinks ....

If you enjoy seasports, then there's lots to choose from without breaking the bank. E.g. snorkeling classes are at SGD 5.00 per lesson. You've got 2 pools to choose from, one at the new wing, and another at the old wing. The old wing pool also has a sunken bar ... perfect for some extra downtime while swimming or sunbathing :) If you enjoy walking, which we did, then you could stroll across the boardwalk all the way to another marina nearby. Or just stroll across the jetty and checkout the amazing ocean ...

One downside at Turi. There's not much choice by way of restaurants - 2 restaurants (one of which is the all-day dining restaurant), a Japanese-style restaurant, plus a weekend BBQ at the poolside. There are also a couple of bars/lounges apart from the sunken pool bar. Food is decent enough, but choices could be more varied. Service was polite, if a little slow at times. However, we were later attended to by Iqbal, a wait staff at the main restaurant - lovely guy and so so helpful ... and that improved the dining experience by tons!

If you want more dining variety, then take a taxi to a seafood restaurant about 15 mins away from the hotel, or if your'e up to a longer ride, then there's a popular seafood restaurant called Golden Prawn 88 Restaurant (I think). It's on stilts by the seaside. Food is reasonbly priced, e.g. dinner for 4 was less than SGD 100. Plus you can bring your own wine, so be sure to load up at the SGP duty free shop before you take the ferry to Batam. Taxi charges are about SGD 10 for an hour, min. of 3 hours. You can easily combine dinner with shopping...

So if you're looking for shopping, then there's some decent buys at Nongsa Shopping Centre, and BJC Mall. The fx rate works well esp if you pay in rupiah. Pick up some great tasting kueh-lapis (layered cake) at the Batam Centre Mall, There are 2 shops, but the one that's better is nearer to the JC supermarket entrance. You can also pick up some great tasting coffee packs at the supermarket (look out for the Kapal Api brand with mocha flavor.... solid stuff!).

The most important thing to remember when staying at the Turi Beach is to pick up the local mentality .... just chill and not be too impatient. Breathe ... relax .... wait things out and leave your "city/work" mentality behind. After all, we're on holiday!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Dear Ms. Seber,

Tropical greetings from Turi Beach!

This is to show my appreciation for taking the time to share with us your experience during your last stay in our resort.

Your feedback will be communicated to all our staff and especially to Iqbal.

During your next stay you are most welcome to enjoy traditional Indonesian delights at Cinta Manis restaurant or a private seafood lunch or dinner at any location of your choice.

If I can be of any assistance to you or your friends, please contact me at antonio@nongsaresorts.com

I will be glad to welcome you back to Turi Beach Resort during your next trip to Batam.

With best regards,

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Attractive resort with enough to occupy teenagers for about two days. Accommodation is good - either authentic quaint-style room or more modern version thereof - both comfortable and well-appointed. Kindly, welcoming staff but not the best-trained: service is very slow so that the first person to get served dinner is finished long before the last gets their meal. Menus a bit limited although food is OK if nothing special. It was busy the weekend we were there with a lot of Singaporean National Servicemen and partners (NO problem) but quieter-mid-week although conference was running then. Easy to get to and peaceful retreat for a few days.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 21, 2010
Dear Mr. Fulton,
Sea, sun and nature greetings from Turi Beach!
Receive my gratitude for taking the time to share with us your latest stay experience.
Your feedback has been distributed amongst our staff to action those areas in need of improvement.
A new director of food and beverage is joining our team next Monday. This will allow us to provide you with a more personalized service and extensive culinary choice in the weeks ahead.
If I can be of any assistance to you or your friends, please contact me at your convenience (antonio@nongsaresorts.com).
Glad to welcome you personally during your next stay at Turi Beach.
Antonio Hernandez Canovas

Been to Turi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!