“Good, if you don't expect too much” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Turi Beach Resort

You added Turi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Turi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Hang Lekiu | Nongsa, Batam Island, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29465, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
25 Turiversary fr S$124++
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Good, if you don't expect too much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

3 girlsfriends and I purchases a Groupon voucher and went for a 2D1N stay over the weekend. Reservations and ferry bookings were done hassle-free via email. We arrived promptly at the ferry terminal and were escorted to the resort which was less than 10 mins away. Check-in was smooth and we stayed at the Tirta wing in rooms 302 and 303. We immediately went for a dip in the pool after we settled into our rooms.

Room: The view from our rooms were amazing. We were situated right in front of the Emerald Pool and the sea was just within our gaze. However, the rooms themselves were in a downright filthy state.

Firstly, our safety deposit boxes were not working and we called for the Bell Boy to come and fix it up several times, but no one arrived. We heard excuses like the boy was busy attending to other rooms, hence, we resorted to carrying our valuables with us everywhere we went. The door to the mini-bar was not working and one light was spoilt.

Secondly, there was dust everyone, like on the floors. The bathroom was so dirty that I wore my slippers while bathing. The sink was very badly cracked (in hindsight, I believe it was used by many couples for activities that involved much more than just brushing their teeth and washing their hands). It was so badly cracked that my girlfriend actually thought that it was a design that was just orginally there. There was algae growing between the cracks and there were stains everyone. Thank god, the toilets were alright!

Breakfast: The breakfast was pretty decent and we had a someone show us to our tables right away. Can't complain about the service, it was really good.

General: If I had stayed more than a night, I would have definitely asked for a change of rooms but my girlfriends and I are not even fussy travellers and even for that one night, I was slightly disgusted! It's not like I paid really little for the Groupon, it's a pretty substantial amount for a night (99 SGD) and I feel that the rooms could have been kept in a more decent state.

You can enjoy the views and resort and ignore the state of the rooms, if you don't expect too much :)

Room Tip: Perhaps, dont choose 302 on the Tirta wing, it really semmed to be in a very bad state!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Thank you very much for your time and feedback…. greatly appreciated.
Please accpet my apologies for the inconvenience cuased.
We have taken good note on all your remarks and shared them with the relevant teams for priority attention and improvement.
Wish to have the opportunity to welcome you back next time you plan a leisure break in Nongsa, Batam with your girlfriends.
May I be of any assistance, please contact me via antonio@nongsaresorts.com
Cheers… Antonio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

A good friend and I were planning on a last minute trip somewhere when we saw that there was a promotion on Groupon for Turi Beach Resort. We took a 3D2N package that included transfers from the Ferry Terminal, Daily Breakfast and 1hr massage.

First off all, if you are coming from Singapore, you may want to bring some water (aqua- that's what the Indonesians call it) with you unless you plan to head out to the city immediately after checking in as there are no shops nearby. The hotel provides 2 bottles of water in the room daily but for me, it would not be enough.

Check-ins were fairly swift but the resort is quite firm on the check-in time which is about 2pm. So if you are arriving on the morning ferry, you may be hanging around for a few hours until your room is ready. Dress appropriately for some time at the beach or the pool while you wait or you can head down to the restaurant at L2 for some Indonesian food. The food is authentic but they have cut down on the spice to cater to the western palate. Prices wise, expect Singapore prices (SGD 7-15++) for a main course and you can pay for your meal in SG Dollars. There are taxes and service charges.

The resort provides free wi-fi only at the lobby area. There are plenty of seats and tables there that are made out of solid wood for those who are using laptops.

We were very lucky to get a twin room with an unblocked view of the sea and the jetty. It was near the main pool area but fortunately was facing away from it. My review of the room:

The GOOD: Great view, decent size, good access to the pool area and because of its facing, quiet...

The BAD: The mini bar was hidden in a recess behind a mirror that was flush to the wall beside one of the beds. It was almost half a day before we found it and had a good laugh. The location of the fridge was much better suited for a safe!

The UGLY: The bathroom door handle had come off so we had to be careful when opening the doors. I think the management could have done a better job with the inspections, maintenance and repairs. However, as compared to the horrors that I've seen elsewhere in Indonesia, the overall standards here are actually quite high for an Indonesian resort.

For the second day, we wanted to head out to the Nagoya Hills area to do some shopping. I am very familiar with Batam but it was my friends first time there. We booked a taxi with the reception and took a name card from the lobby with the name and address of the hotel just in case. A trip out would cost us 130,000 rupiah (~SGD16).

The "taxi" turned out to be a very nice, very clean toyota people carrier van that could have probably taken up to 7 people. The taxi driver spoke a little bit of english and we arranged for a deal where he would pick us up at a predetermined time from nagoya hills at 170,000 rupiah (~SGD20). Most drivers would be more than happy to do this for the resort guests. In fact for 300,000 rupiah, most drivers would happily wait and fetch guests to multiple places for up to 4hrs. We didn't want to waste our time and ruin our mood haggling over taxi prices with drivers that may not speak any english so it was a good deal for us.

Meals wise, the daily breakfast had a decent selection of local cuisine and western food. There was an egg station where you can order omelettes, coffee/tea, juices. It's very good given the prices that we paid overall.

We didn't manage to utilise the spa vouchers because we simply forgot to book earlier. Try to pre-book the day before if you are picky on the timing.

Check out is at noon and the resort provides free shuttle to the ferry terminal. You will need to check with the lobby on the timings though.

Overall, it was an excellent trip! For the price that travellers pay, it is not realistic to expect 6-star hotel standards. Neither is it realistic for travellers to expect resort food to be super cheap either.

Room Tip: If at all possible, try to get the rooms / chalets that are right along the beach and or in front of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Receive my gratitude for sharing with us your stay experience with your friend…

We very much appreciate your detail feedback as well as your understanding and flexibility on those areas in need of improvement…

Please allow me to share with you that Aqua bottles are available in the boutique shop next to the Aqua pool…

We aim to have all rooms ready before arrival time although sometimes we experience challenges due to high occupancy the night before…

Wifi at no cost is offered to every guests booking directly with the resort either via email or the resort online system in our website…

Please keep the Spa vouchers for your next visit… Glad to extend the validity date…

Look forward to welcoming you back to Turi Beach Resort with your friends…

Cheers… Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Our family had a 4D3N stay during the September 2013 school vacation. The journey there was smooth, quick and uneventful. We were greeted warmly by the staff and all arrangement were done efficiently. We had a connecting room with our girls and that was excellent! Our only displeasure was that our rooms were too high up and far away from the beach. We were on the 3rd Level. As my family loves the sea and sand, it would have been better if we were on the second floor. The landscape is beautiful and relaxing and we love the pool and the beach! The highlight for us was the kayaking experience. It was lovely weather and the staff were very friendly and helpful! My daughters were able to do the double kayak by themselves and they are 13 and 8 years old :) The staff were attentive and would always look out for us and help us whenever we were near the shore. The staff in the restaurants are all very friendly and polite though I must say that the quality of food could be better especially the dessert spread for the buffet! On the whole, we had a fabulous time there and we will surely visit it again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for selecting Turi Beach Resort for your family vacation…

We truly appreciate your time and review...

Mr. Ramani - New Director of Food and Beverage - will certainly look out with our pastry chef what other desserts we can include in the buffet before your next visit.

If I can be of any assistance to you or your network, please contact me at your convenience via antonio@nongsaresorts.com

Singapore, null, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

We had a minor booking issue which was treated with the atmost professionalism, super understanding and rapid solution.
Customers value is higly appreciated. The resort was lovely, rooms were clean and great. Food was good and the facilities were all in good condition. Batam is a great weekend getaway with good value for your money. The resort provides a shuttle going to the batam centre for shopping, cheap and good massge which is a big help. All in all, our weekend was perfect and we definitely recommend Turi beach resort and batam for people who are looking for a quick, relaxing and value for money weekend trip! :)

• Stayed September 2013
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Thank you very much for your time, generous feedback and favourable review…

We will continue working to ensure that we provide a memorable experience to you and future guests…

Have a great week… Antonio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Located in Batam, this island can be reached by ferry from Singapore or Malaysia within less then one hour. White sands, fresh air and good food.

This resort provide all good stuff as resort with warm service. Good buffet dinner during weekend at open air also additions items that you can consider.

Bring family or at least spouse is a must, because you should enjoy this with them but also most of guest doing the same. Although the room are quite so you can enjoy it alone

• Stayed September 2013
Greetings from Nongsa...

Thank you very much for comparing us with Bali… greatly appreciated...

This is to show my gratitude for your review as well as for taking the time to highlight Turi Beach Resort unique selling points in your review.

Look forward to have you back in the near future.

Cheers… Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

EXPERIENCE.

That's what a vacation or holiday is about. Somehow, Turi Beach Resort doesn't quite this. Sure, the resort grounds looks chic as the website mentions and the views are actually great but there are a LOT of things that I could point out that ruins the whole experience of it so let me start to point these things out:

- lots of mosquitoes... even during daytime! So unless you want to stay your whole stay inside your room, you can use the mosquito repellant lotion (two sachets are provided in the room). But I think they should fumigate regularly which I don't think they do.

- wifi costs SGD20/day and as mentioned in past reviews, it's quite frustrating. Sometimes, it just disconnects automatically. If you're paying that much for internet, you expect to get your money's worth.

- the restaurant (Taming Sari) has never heard of salt. Food is always bland even with spice and all.

- hotel grounds can use a lot of cleaning up and some much needed polishing/refreshing. When you're managing a resort, you have to keep in mind that the things are not noticeable doesn't mean it's invisible. Places under the staircase, under the cottage... though not noticeable at first will be noticed if it's not maintained or well hidden.

- stray cats lounging in the pool area and restaurant... go figure.

- gift shop, bars not manned 100% of the time

- service staff having a hard time speaking english. In Thailand, I don't mind because all of them always serve you with a smile and they are always very polite and make you feel they understand you. However, in this case, it almost seem they are afraid to smile and sometimes give you a feeling that they cannot understand you.

- there was no regard whatsoever for other guests when they accommodated a corporate booking which was blasting music all the way through 11pm!

- the idea of having a motion sensor lamp in the balcony is a nice idea but can be quite annoying if you're reading a book and it just turns off because you weren't moving in the past few minutes.

BUT as I mentioned in the beginning of the review, the resort (fortunately!) has some great views. From the hotel, you can also walk to Nongsa Point Marina which is also quite relaxing and more quiet than Turi Beach.

There are 2 wings: The Riana Wing (where I stayed) and the Tirta Wing. The confusing thing is they call their rooms Tirta Bar Premier and Tirta Beach Bar so you'd thing you'll get a room in the Tirta Wing (the newer wing). Some of the room (like the room that I got was newly renovated so the fixtures are new or newly painted. The aircon is also new. I actually prefer the Riana Wing because it's much more quieter being less exposed to common areas BUT having said that, I don't think all of the rooms in the wing have been renovated (seeing a lot of complaints from previous reviews).

Sure it's a nice short getaway from Singapore but all the small complaints I have just ruin the experience of a relaxing holiday. And it's so frustrating because this could have been a great vacation spot for some quiet time away from the city. And I wish the hotel management realizes what they are really selling... and anyone in the hospitality business can tell you, it's not just the rooms and accommodation you are selling...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your stay and experience…

We very much agree and sympathize with your comments and feedback…

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to provide you with a complete experience…

All your comments have been shared amongst the management team and staff for rectification and improvement as part of our quality improvement program…

At the same time I would like to share with you that we provide daily pest control services in public areas and rooms…

Being nestled in a jungle state, we face different patterns and behaviours on the eco-system asides to the daily pest control efforts…

Wifi is provided at no cost in the lobby…

Those reservations made directly with the resort are entitled to Wifi at no cost in the room and public areas as well…

In the event Wifi is not functioning accordingly, we have an IT team in the resort to check the nature of the incidence and make sure that you can enjoy your IT connection as expected…

Being in a wild – jungle state, we keep a few cats in the resort with the intention to neutralize any mouse left after the pest control is done in the kitchens and restaurants…

The appreciation of BAR stands for Best Available Rate… please let me know the website you book through to eliminate the note to avoid other guests confused.

Riani wing renovation and upgrading program has been completed this month including all rooms and suites…

Please share with me via antonio@nongsaresorts.com the details of your stay to ensure that we can rectify and improve all your comments and experiences as well as to provide you with an extra token touch of hospitality from our end…

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

stayed for 1 night in room 340 (twin sharing), which is in the new wing (tirta?).

upside:
-room was huge and clean. toilet too. beds and toilet were clean too, except for a few strands of stray hairs, but thats fine. towels provided were clean too. provided basic toiletries like toothbrush, toothpaste. water pressure from the shower was strong. hot water available too.
-pool nearest the reception is clean. the other pool (older i think?) was not as clean, there were some leaves floating about
-breakfast was pretty good, quite a wide selection.
-many water sports activities (banana boat, jet ski, wake board, parasailing, fishing) avail, but i didnt do any of them. saw ppl doing jet ski and para-sailing.
-staff was friendly and helpful, allowed us early check in and late check out. also helped us to change our ferry time
-air con in the room was strong

down side:
-room was on top of a slope, but a short walk to the pool and reception.
-no free in-room wifi, but i could get a v slow starhub signal
-shuttle bus to town centre (mega mall) costs S$19.80 for 2 pax. a bit expensive imho.

tips:
1. take the 2nd ferry from sg, the one that leaves around 11am. i took the 740am one, arrived way too early
2. take the 3pm ferry back to sg, coz late check out is at 2pm
3. bring some cup noodles if u dont wish to eat lunch/dinner at the resort. food is slightly expensive. there is a flask to boil water in the room

Room Tip: ask for room 300-304, it is not so high up on the slope
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Receive my gratitude for your valuable time and balance review… greatly appreciated…

Wifi is provided at no cost in the lobby for all guests…

Those reservations made directly with the resort are entitled to Wifi at no cost in the room and public areas as well.

Glad you enjoy your stay and share your experience amongst your friends and colleagues.

Cheers.. Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com

Been to Turi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!