That's what a vacation or holiday is about. Somehow, Turi Beach Resort doesn't quite this. Sure, the resort grounds looks chic as the website mentions and the views are actually great but there are a LOT of things that I could point out that ruins the whole experience of it so let me start to point these things out:
- lots of mosquitoes... even during daytime! So unless you want to stay your whole stay inside your room, you can use the mosquito repellant lotion (two sachets are provided in the room). But I think they should fumigate regularly which I don't think they do.
- wifi costs SGD20/day and as mentioned in past reviews, it's quite frustrating. Sometimes, it just disconnects automatically. If you're paying that much for internet, you expect to get your money's worth.
- the restaurant (Taming Sari) has never heard of salt. Food is always bland even with spice and all.
- hotel grounds can use a lot of cleaning up and some much needed polishing/refreshing. When you're managing a resort, you have to keep in mind that the things are not noticeable doesn't mean it's invisible. Places under the staircase, under the cottage... though not noticeable at first will be noticed if it's not maintained or well hidden.
- stray cats lounging in the pool area and restaurant... go figure.
- gift shop, bars not manned 100% of the time
- service staff having a hard time speaking english. In Thailand, I don't mind because all of them always serve you with a smile and they are always very polite and make you feel they understand you. However, in this case, it almost seem they are afraid to smile and sometimes give you a feeling that they cannot understand you.
- there was no regard whatsoever for other guests when they accommodated a corporate booking which was blasting music all the way through 11pm!
- the idea of having a motion sensor lamp in the balcony is a nice idea but can be quite annoying if you're reading a book and it just turns off because you weren't moving in the past few minutes.
BUT as I mentioned in the beginning of the review, the resort (fortunately!) has some great views. From the hotel, you can also walk to Nongsa Point Marina which is also quite relaxing and more quiet than Turi Beach.
There are 2 wings: The Riana Wing (where I stayed) and the Tirta Wing. The confusing thing is they call their rooms Tirta Bar Premier and Tirta Beach Bar so you'd thing you'll get a room in the Tirta Wing (the newer wing). Some of the room (like the room that I got was newly renovated so the fixtures are new or newly painted. The aircon is also new. I actually prefer the Riana Wing because it's much more quieter being less exposed to common areas BUT having said that, I don't think all of the rooms in the wing have been renovated (seeing a lot of complaints from previous reviews).
Sure it's a nice short getaway from Singapore but all the small complaints I have just ruin the experience of a relaxing holiday. And it's so frustrating because this could have been a great vacation spot for some quiet time away from the city. And I wish the hotel management realizes what they are really selling... and anyone in the hospitality business can tell you, it's not just the rooms and accommodation you are selling...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Turi Beach Resort, Where Chic Meets Charm. Immerse yourself in this Indonesian boutique paradise and explore the beauty of nature. Nestled in Nongsa Resorts, at the northeast part of Batam Island, and 35 minutes away from Singapore by ferry and 15 minutes from Hang Nadim Airport. Set amid 7.7 Hectares of beautiful green landscaping in a tranquil tropical village, Turi Beach Resort features Modern - Minimalist accommodation in Tirta and Riani wing. All 140 rooms and suites are facing the sea being well spread over the beach front and the hillside.Turi Beach Resort is your idyllic retreat in the tropical Riau Islands amidst unspoilt beauty and fine beaches where tranquility and impeccable service are rightly yours to savour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Turi Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Turi Beach Resort Batam/Nongsa
- Turi Beach Batam
- Turi Beach Hotel Batam