“Expensive for a below average experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Turi Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Turi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Turi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Hang Lekiu | Nongsa, Batam Island, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29465, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Expensive for a below average experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I stayed here with some friends for a short 2 day 1 night trip. Location wise, it's quite favourable, being about 40 minutes from the city center, where there's not much to do anyway.

The waters are decently clear, and I enjoyed myself very much with the water sports (about $14 SGD/person for banana boating) and the staff were always very polite and helpful, making sure that we stayed safe.

Resort food was pricey, so we ate out most of the time. The one buffet breakfast we had was all sorts of terrible, with a limited spread and substandard quality. Go out for a seafood dinner at any one of the nearby places, you'll find much better food at better prices.

We had a room on the ground floor that cost $230++ SGD/night which I felt was expensive for the lackluster quality. It was nice to open the door to the beach, but the toilet, although spacious, had a terrible stench that smelled like the sewerage. Also, an iguana sneaked in from under the front door at one point and it was absolutely horrifying. The air-conditioning was a bit faulty and was hardly cold enough, but it was bearable for a night.

All in all, it's a rather peaceful place, but could do with some maintenance and brushing up of its facilities and food.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. This is to show my gratitude for your detail review and scorecard… I am really sorry about your experience in certain areas. If your time allows, please contact me directly via antonio@nongsaresorts.com for a more personalized reply and a favourable outcome. Please get in touch with our reception during your next visit to discover the number activities near the resort and around Batam available. Thank you very much for your time and understanding. With best regards, Antonio

530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
new delhi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We visited the resort from 15th to 17th May. The hotel pick up at the ferry terminal was convenient and comfortable. The check in at the reception was swift with a ginger ale given at the time of arrival, which was indeed refreshing. The room are all sea facing and have a wonderful view, The rooms were quite comfortable with complete privacy for second floor and above (i loved the size of the room and the bathroom). The staff can do better on the cleanliness front (we found multiple larvas and red ants in the bathroom!!).

Mind you the resort is in the middle of nowhere, which i wanted and loved it. It would be better that ppl get their own beer and cig either from singapore or from the shop at the arrival as the price in the resort for the same is SGD8/beer. The room service was quite efficient, however we were a tad disappointed on the food front. Among other things we tried fish and chips, which in all honesty was inedible, however their club sandwich was quite satisfactory. Most of our food we had in the cafe, which was just about ok, however expensive for the taste and preparations. We tried the Japanese restaurant which was a turn off for us as the chicken preparation served was quite hard in texture. The breakfast buffet was relatively comprehensive and good.

The swimming pool was quite good, however has steps and can be dangerous if you are not careful. There are lot of activities for the water sport lovers.

We tried the spa, and it was completely blissful. The staff was very friendly and helpful and ready to tend the needs of the guests.

Pros: Complete relaxation for those who want to get away from the hustle bustle of city. Beautiful resort feeling and ambiance. Nice and big rooms, beautiful sea view, lots of greenery, friendly staff, spa, swimming pool.

Cons: Food, cleanliness.

Tips: Get your own beer, cig and snacks. Try to get the room on the 4th floor as it has best view, closer to the lift in order to get to the restaurants, and to the reception.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. I very much appreciate all your feedback and tips as well as your outline on our unique selling points… We will continue working on the food consistency as well as the remaining points mentioned. Look forward to welcoming you back for a relaxing weekend with an improved dining experience. Cheers… Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I love how every room has it’s own private corridor and it’s own gate. It makes it feel like it's home for the weekend.

We got the Tirta Premier Room, which has two super twin beds. Not an ideal situation (we'd pretty much prefer a double bed) but the beds were really so comfy that we had no good reason to not be pleased with them.

A nice bathroom in a hotel room earns plus points with me. And I really love this one as it looks all bright and airy :)

One thing to note: the resort is stark in the middle of nowhere. So unless you’ve equipped yourself with snacks from mainland Singapore, you’d probably end up like us – eating at the resort restaurants and ordering multiple room service.

Seriously, there was not even a mini-mart within the resort itself.

But luckily for us, the food was awesome. Do note that the prices are in Singapore dollars (both at the restaurant and the room service menu), but they accept rupiah as well.

Those of you who are active in sports and such (so obvious that I’m not) can also have some fun during your stay here. It’s just that it’s a tad pricy but if you're interested in parasailing, kayaking, fishing - they have these activities right within the resort.

We really enjoyed our short stay here, mainly because we were so relaxed the entire weekend. Truth be told, we did absolutely nothing but relax, rested and ate a lot! TV channels were pretty decent. We watched movie after movie in bed :)

Room Tip: Bring your own snacks!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. Thank you very much for your time and detailed review… we love to read that you felt like in your weekend home… One of the minimarts is located next to the Yacht Club and the second one is located at Nongsa Point Marina and Resort only five minutes walking by the beach (we will replace the existing signage to ensure other guests don’t miss it). We will work on la large collection of Asian snacks for your next visit. May I be of any assistance for you or your friends, please contact me via antonio@nongsaresorts.com Cheers… Antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

we had 10 rooms and sadly to say that 5 of the rooms air-condition not working at night... can you imagine the heat we have to endure the whole night without air-conditioning and using the fans to blow hot air into you.. truly unbearable. The technician came to assist and the air-con works for 10 minutes and down again... in the end, we have to squeeze into those rooms that have air-condition.
staffs were friendly, however meals needs improvement.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. I am very sorry to read your group experience stay. Please contact me directly via antonio@nongsaresorts.com to provide you with a personalized and favourable feedback. Thank you. Antonio
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I had visited this resort briefly for a day trip some months ago. When a friend of mine decided to visit Batam, I thought this would be a nice place to spend a quiet night.

Booked via Internet and the room matched what I paid for... In fact I ended up in one of the new standalone rooms by the beach. These were really fantastic. Getting to and from the main hotel is still a bit of a challenge as the beach path isn't finished yet, and there are more renovations going on in the middle area where you should be able to take a shortcut.. Once those are finished it won't be a problem, but till then, be careful where you walk!

My friend is Indonesian - we didn't experience any issues as mentioned by another reviewer - in fact I think we got better service than most!

Pros:
- good price for level of comfort and the place was busy without being crowded
- easy to get to
- friendly staff who went to extra lengths to help make our stay more memorable
- free wifi and good connection speed
- pool facilities were very good
- various water sports available and all were being used
- good choice of food

Cons
- check in seemed a bit haphazard for some guests... There was a bit of a commotion around reception and perhaps not enough staff at peak, such as when a tour bus would pull up. My check in time was okay, though I had to sit and wait for the queue to subside for about 10 minutes.
- entertainment options are very limited.... I recommend you bring your own if going as a group.. There's a band during dinner, but after that everything seems to close down. The bar (Yacht Club) wasn't very welcoming, and I seldom saw anybody in there - with so many people in the resort, I thought there might be a bit more life in there
- the food was good, but nothing special. In the absence of anything much also to do at night, I think this could be better. I didn't eat at the Japanese restaurant, so I don't know what that's like. The buffet was okay, but no real 'wow' factor. There was a BBQ on the night we were there - again it was a chance to do something really memorable (Java style ribs, etc) but it was pretty average.
- wine selection was extremely limited
- in room mini bar contained water only, though you could request other items to be sent to the room
- landscaping and access to new wing needs to be addressed... It was an obstacle course getting back at any time, especially at night
- parts of the grounds had rubbish all over the place ... We walked around the point past a small soccer field.. There was paper cups and plastic bottles everywhere and no sign of anybody cleaning it up
- day trippers arrived on Sunday.. One group of about 8 young men took over one end of the pool .. Might have been more irritating if you were looking for a quiet afternoon after lunch.. I was checking out so it didn't worry me too much. Again, there's another pool in the renovation area, so that will help once its available.

if you go, and I recommend you do, try to get one of the new wing rooms with beach view.... Very relaxing.

Well done to the staff... Great service overall.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. Receive my gratitude for trusting us with your last vacation in Batam. I am very glad to read that you and your Indonesian girlfriend had a lovely stay and enjoy our new Riani wing accommodation. All your remarks have been shared amongst the relevant executives for inclusion under the quality improvement plan. The Aqua pool and the jetty will open within the next two weeks. May I be of any assistance until your next visit, please contact me directly via antonio@nongsaresorts.com Cheers… Antonio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Turi Beach is ideal for a quick getaway from hectic Singapore. We have visited three times in the last 18 months. The 35 minute ferry from Tanah Merah Ferry terminal followed by the provided transport to the resort is very convenient. However, the price of food, drinks and spa treatments are comparable to Singapore. The resort’s policy of charging in Singapore dollars, converting to Rp, then converting to Singapore dollars inflates prices disproportionately. While the resort maintains a good standard for such a remote location and major improvements are being done to the old wing, the expense of food and drink can be somewhat offputting when considering quick getaway destinations.

Room Tip: As of May 2013 there are still
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. We very much appreciate that this is the 3rd stay in 18 months as well as your remarks regarding all the progressive improvements. Not being able to alter the government laws in terms of credit card charges, we always recommend paying cash in Singapore dollars to avoid any currency exchange effects. I look forward to welcome you back on your fourth stay during your next leisure break in Batam. Cheers… Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

Went few times in this resort,which is near by Singapore.
After 45mn by ferry give you the tone, suddenly you feel in an other planet... Far from the buzz of the BIG city but still near...
The staff was friendly, we booked via internet, and they accommodate us to allocate a new room, without extra charges...
The room was clean as well as the resort, which not always the case in other places....
Food is ok, not fantastic but not bad.
in few words, if you fancy a short break, it can be the place...
Should I go back, definitively, YES.

Room Tip: private bungalow for couple...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Please accept my apologies for not acknowledging earlier your guest review during my annual leave. Thank you very much for returning back to Turi Beach Resort in several occasions and especially for sharing with us your stay comments and tips. I am very glad that you enjoy the newly renovated rooms in Riani wing. We will continue working on the food to make it “guao” next time you are in the resort. Cheers… Antonio via antonio@nongsaresorts.com

Been to Turi Beach Resort? Share your experiences!