“Mixed Experience” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Turi Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Turi Beach Resort to your Saves list
Turi Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Jalan Hang Lekiu | Nongsa, Batam Island, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29465, Indonesia   |
Ranked #2 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
“Mixed Experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Ferry there:

Went on a weekend.

Ferry was full of passengers going to the gambling ship (Probably about 95% of the load). Note to families: Don't expect any consideration from these wretched creatures. The minute the gate opens, they will rush to the ferry like a horde of charging zombies just to get a seat. Those with children - consider yourself forewarned. Being crushed by a swarm of human filth is not an ideal way to start any holiday.

My impression of them hit an all-time low when, deprived of seating indoors, my wife and I had to bring our infant to the outdoor seating area. Alas, this was also a smoking area. One of the smokers came out of the cabin, stood directly in front of my child and started lighting up.

Thankfully, the ride was only a half-hour.

Resort:

I have to say that the service at the hotel was incredible. They fussed over us the minute we boarded the shuttle all the way to the end of our stay. Really good service all around. During check-in we didn't have to wait very long as they opened up multiple counters to serve more people. We did have to wait till 2pm for our room though, probably due to it being a weekend.

We got a room with an amazing view - an unblocked view of the entire beach front -which was great. This was probably the most positive point about the stay.

I thought the room was reasonably clean. Not up to the standard of a good 4-star hotel, but a probably a solid 3-star. At least they got the basics right: there were clean sheets, fresh towels, shampoo and a hair-dryer.

The infamous shower stall floor stains were there as well, but I wasn't too bothered by them. You get what you pay for after all. What peeved me most however was the clogged drain. There was a pond in the middle of the shower after every bath anyone took.

Swimming pool is a plus point. Its a good size. Beach is good to walk on but not for swimming as its murky, dirty and full of rocks.

Resort is far away from town. Shuttle service is non-existent on weekdays and sparse on weekends. Taking a private taxi is possible but will set you back about S$30 return.

Food:

Having an infant in tow made going out of the resort a challenge. So we had most of our meals there.

For lunch, we wanted to try out some of the dishes on the ala carte menu but were told that only the buffet was available. We were disappointed but decided to go for the buffet anyway. Incredibly, only minutes after we sat down, a family sat down next to us and were allowed to order from the ala carte menu. Talk about double standards.

The lunch buffet on Saturday was alright. For S$20++, we did expect something better though. There was rice, some chinese dishes, one type of sushi and a few local desserts. Coffee and tea's included, but no plain water. To get water, you'll need to pay for it. And you probably will, because the food is incredibly salty. My advice: Skip the buffet.

The Saturday BBQ buffet dinner had a better spread. But it did cost more at S$27++. Food quality was okay. Again, no drinks except for coffee and tea. A can of coke will set you back about five bucks. Water about the same. Good entertainment though as it was provided by a live band.

The breakfast was probably the best dining experience there. They had a good spread, an egg station, a prata station, juices, water(finally!) and coffee/tea.

My verdict: Not much value to be found in the lunch/dinner buffet. If you can, take a taxi out to a seafood restaurant or to town where you can not only eat but also shop. Despite the high fare, its still a better option!

Ferry back:

Was even worse this time round as the ferry company let the passengers from the gambling ship shuttle board first. When those who were boarding from the terminal finally got on, there were little seats left and some had to stand (not easy when the craft is rolling around on the waves).

Conclusion:

Will not be returning any time soon. Good resort service, ambience and rooms really pulled down by the lacklustre dining experience and remote location.

The worst part of the whole experience was the horrific ordeal aboard the ferries, which is a shame really as its out of the control of the resort. Due mainly to this, I do not recommend this resort to those with families. I think its still not a bad choice for couples though.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Antonio H, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Receive my personal appreciation for your time and comments. It is Turi Beach team goal to provide a memorable experience. All your stay feedback have been shared amongst the relevant teams and individually reviewed for action and improvement. Please accept my sincere apologies for not providing you and your family with the expected experience. We also have shared your ferry feedback with Batamfast to consider a similar boarding process as airlines where families with children board first and are allocated in a preferential area. I would appreciate if you could contact me directly at antonio@nongsaresorts.com next time you plan a leisure break in Turi Beach Resort. Yours sincerely. Antonio

520 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

First view of the resort was impeccable - the sight of the lobby was clean, staff greeted us with welcome drinks (gingle ale).

Highlight of the resort was their outdoor activities - My siblings and I did parasailing and canoeing. It was fun, the staff was friendly. Would revisit the place and play again.

Rooms was big and clean - called room service for food, toiletries and ironing board. Served nicely.

Downside
1. Asked the hotel to call a cab to a mall, payment wise - advice, settle the payment terms before the trip properly.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We very much appreciate your time and kind comments. Glad you like the fresh ginger welcome drink on arrival. Regarding the taxi feedback, we will introduce shortly a taxi voucher including the taxi fare to avoid any misunderstanding at the time of settling the payment. Look forward to welcoming you and your family back in Turi Beach Resort during your next leisure break in Batam. Cheers. Antonio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

all common area very old and blowzy , services not that good they forgot the room services and not good English speaking the location is nice no more than that! it could a coils location but the price valuable too hight for service and location

• Stayed December 2012
New Year Greetings! Thank you very much for your time and comments. The maintenance team is working around the clock to take care of the monsoon effects in the common areas. At the same time we take good note on your room service and English language comments to be included in the quality improvement program for 2013. If I can be of any assistance to you or your network, please contact me at your convenience via antonio@nongsaresorts.com Cheers. Antonio
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed at the Tirta Wing from 21-23 Dec for an advance anniversary celebration with my wife. Initial problem upon check in but staff managed to rectify. Overall, the stay was good BUT hotel could have improve on safety, and guests convenience. These are just some of the things that management can look into.

1. ROOM
1.1:Safety of room can and should be improved. I was surprised to see that there is no ledge at the room door. If we forgot to put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign, housekeeping staff can just come in while we are fast asleep, after several knock or press on the bell, thinking that no one is in the room. Also, if for whatever reason we forgot to lock the room, anyone can just open it up and come in.
1.2: Privacy in the room is another matter that management should look into.. I was given a room facing the pool (203 to be exact). There is another room which is slightly in front of mine where the guest will have to walk pass my room in order to get to their room.. Anyone walking out from the other room can clearly see what is happening in my room if the curtain in my room is not drawn. management should consider at least to put up a blinder or tainted glass to the door and the glass panel at the balcony. If those were asking for too much, then at least change the door to a wooden one for a better privacy.
1.3: Cleaninesss to the toilet is another area management can look into.. Stains were spotted everywhere on the toilet floor. Also, water heater in my room was not functioning properly. At times we do get hot shower but most times its just cold water.

2. SHUTTLE:
2.1: Hotel provided shuttle serrvice to Megamall. Thats a great service BUT, charging SGD8.00 per person for a return journey is a pull down factor. Even if guest only need a one way transfer, the charge is still the same, as I experienced. First of all, staff should have informed guest that there is charges for the transfer and not let guest assume it is FOC. But the most important thing is why charge for the shuttle service? And also shuttle service is only limited to 1 timing per day (1pm depart & 4,30pm return on weekdays while 10am depart & 1.00pm return on sundays ?????) This area really needs a review from hotel management

3. ENTERTAINMENT:
3.1: Karaoke: I was at the Yatch Club on my last night which is a Saturday night, at about 10pm. While the info booklet says that the karaoke/yatch club is open until 2am (or is it 1am) on weekends, the staff at Yatch Club told me that they closes between 11-12midnight if there is no crowd and at 1am if there is crowd. After about half hour sitting down enjoying the live music provided by the 4man band and I decided to ask for the karaoke room from one of the staff. To my surprise, he told me that the karaoke room closes at 11pm so we decided against it as we are left with only about 45mins of karaokeing if we were to take it up..But surprisingly, at about 11 plus pm, one of the staff approcahed me asking if I want to take up the karaoke room saying that it closes till late. Why the change of heart? IS it because they noticed that the crowd in the club has increased (another group of about 8 European guest came in in between and the atmosphere in the club became hot with dancing and all)??? Why is there inconsistency????
4. RESTAURANT - STAFF ATTITUDE
4.1: While the food was good, one of the staff's attitude need to be checked. The 2nd day when having breakfast, I wanted to sit at a table for 2 at the side of the restaurant. While I see that the table was empty, a female staf told me in a very stern and high pitched tone voiced that the table is occupied. After about almost 10minutes seeing nobody sitting at the table, I once again asked her and the reply was the same with a stern and raised voice (like she is not happy that I asked) and when asked where the guest are, she pointed to someone at the buffet area at the same time giving me the kind of look (I told you oredi right). I feel that in whatever situation, staff should practice tact and courtesy to guest. Her attitude is really something to be looked into.

COMPLIMENTS:
The above comments are just some of the things I noticed during my stay at the resort. But at the same time I do exprienced great service from other staff of thhe resort. Some I remember the name while some I could not remember or could not get their name. One of those which made guest feels at home and relaxed was Mr Adhit - Guest Relation Executive. His way of handling guests' request, enquiry etc was something other staff should try to follow. He took initiatives in reccommending things to guest and also rendered his assistance whenever and wherever needed with forver smile in his face. Another staff is the guy who handles the ferry booking. There are also a waltress at the restaurant whose name I did not get but I can easily point her whenever I see her again.. These are some of the staff that made our stay a memorable one, superceding those other unhappy incidents and encounters with other staffs.

Overall, I woud say my stay was still a good one and I would consider coming back to Turi in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
New Year Greetings!

Receive my personal gratitude for selecting Turi Beach Resort to celebrate your anniversary as well as for your very valuable recommendations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to deliver your expectations.

All your remarks and suggestions have been shared with the relevant department heads for incorporation in their new year action plan.

We very much appreciate your favourable feedback regarding the service offered and a special note will be given to those recognized in your review.

May you or your network requires any information or assistance in the future, please contact me directly at your convenience via antonio@nongsaresorts.com

Wishing a you very Happy and Prosperous New Year!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Third time to Turi Beach and quite galled at how dirty and unappealing the place has become. Stayed at the Tirta Premier room and the room was unswept and dusty with dead insects in the crevices and stained sheets on the bed. Toilet was absolutely foul, marble floor un-mopped and discoloured, stinking of stale pee that no amount of air freshener could dispel, and towels stained as well. Food was appalling. We ordered meat and seafood skewers at Island Bar, and stomach rolling, had to spit out my first bite of the prawn skewer -- flagrantly stale -- and so bad that I can still remember its rancid taste.

Facilities were sadly neglected. Their second swimming pool was closed, with no prior mention on website, and the prettiest part of the resort -- a wooden bridge leading out to the open sea, was shut down, with no indication of when it would reopen. Feel quite cheated, as the rooms don't come cheap, costing SGD$200 a night, for such a lackluster experience.

Such a pity that the resort is so un-cared for, as it really is quite nicely located, next to its own beach which allows visitors a range of sea activities. Additionally, staff are courteous and quick to make concessions -- costs of my uneaten meal were quickly waived upon complaint -- but given Turi's crumbling facilities, very little they can do to make up for this terrible resort experience. Given Batam's up and coming newer and better for value resorts, would definitely give this a miss.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your stay experience feedback.

I would like express my personal apologies for all the inconvenience caused during your stay. If your time allows, I would appreciate if you could email me via antonio@nongsaresorts.com with your stay details to ensure that all the points mentioned are addressed and immediately rectified.

With all my respects, we have mentioned about the upgrading program including the Aqua Pool in our website – please see link http://www.turibeach.com/riani.php while the Jetty remains partially open due to safety concerns during the monsoon season.

Regarding you rate comments, please be informed that December is peak – holiday season.

If I can be of any further assistance, please contact me at your convenience.

Wishing you and your family a great New Year ahead!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I would say that the trip was above what i expect.. Although we had waited quite awhile for the room that we wanted, we enjoy the relaxing ambience and helpful staff there are really professional too. I believe is the good management that bring the staff a level different from others. Keep up the good job.

Had book a private taxi to golden prawn for dinner $30 2way. Feel very safe with the resort staff help. As we do not know how to speak malay, they find us a nice,hansome, and skillful (uncle Ali) that speak alittle english. Had our fill and head back to resort.

Had a birthday cake send to the room as requested at 12am and they are super on time (impressive). The cake turn out to be above average (bravo).

Overall happy with the mind relaxing trip.
Will wait for the new Riani Wing. And shall go back again in near future. And will sure to recommand my friend to turi beach for short getaway.

• Stayed December 2012
Palmesano1965, General Manager at Turi Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 22, 2012
Season’s greetings from Turi Beach! Thank you very much for your time and kind comments. Glad to welcome you back to experience Riani Wing once the upgrading program is completed in early 2013. May you or your network require any information or assistance, please contact me at your convenience via antonio@nongsaresorts.com. Cheers. Antonio
Singapore, Pasir Ris,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Initially had some unfavorable feed back on this place but still decided to try it out, and... walla twas a grrreat experience. The rooms were above our expectations and the mirrored wall brought a smile on me and the wifey's face lol. The service was ok, with the helpers constantly in a pleasant state, however what i thought could improve was the guest relations aspect...as the intro video broadcasted on the TV was not consistent with their knowledge of the promotions. The receptionist was either unaware or not clear of the offer :( I guess everything cannot be tooo purrfect if not the prices would sky rocket and we middle incomers would not be able to afford this lil luxury :p hehehehe....I think I better indicate an example.. the 9 hole golf was advertised as $15 SGD for 2 x 9 holes inclusive of caddy!!! That was broadcasted on the TV (I thought I had cataract but I confirmed my vision was OK), I thought this deal was a steal but was duly disappointed..Next example is that they advertised that there was wind surfing but again..nope, zilch, yiada yiada!! Well end state the location..Great!! Food.. Great!! Between the sheets (with the help of the mirrored wall).. Great!! Till next review hav a great life... ;p

Room Tip: The rooms closest to the pool is the best for my preference... Rm 106, 107 etc...