“Great for a cheap quick getaway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Batam View Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Batam View Beach Resort to your Saves list
Batam View Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Great for a cheap quick getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

I spent Easter here, with a couple of friends. It's great for a quick getaway from Singapore - we were pleasantly surprised to be picked up at Nongsapura ferry terminal, and the resort was a very short drive away. The main hotel is a fairly non-descript 80s style block, but it has a large spacious lobby with plenty of comfy seating and a helpful check-in and tours desk. There's also a bar, a live band performance space, and a gift shop. We were in a suite, which was essentially a double room with living room in the main building, with a balcony overlooking the pool - it wasn't much more expensive than a double and was huge, clean and well equipped (my only gripe was the rather dim lights!).

The pool area is definitely the highlight of this resort - there's a large pool (with small children's pool), surrounded by sunloungers with a bar on one end. A short walk takes you to the private beach - a small cove mostly set up for water sports, and the resort's villas. There's also tennis courts and some gardens. And a spa on the 5th floor, where we had great massages.

Both nights we were there a live band performed in the evening, who were great, but the lobby was not the most atmospheric setting. On one evening the hotel recommended a local seafood restaurant, which was a brilliant experience - a huge informal place filled with locals and tourists. On the second night, we tried the resort's Kelong seafood restaurant - it has an idyllic setting on the sea, looking out towards Singapore. The food was delicious, but it was sadly rather empty.

We booked a car from the hotel to go down to the Bareland bridge and islands - while I'm sure there are cheaper ways of getting around, it was nice to be driven in air-conditioned comfort and to be able to stop for food and drinks when we wanted.

All in all, I'm sure there are both cheaper and more luxurious places to stay in Batam, but this was a very easy, very relaxng, very comfortable place to relax and see a small part of Indonesia. It would be even better if it was a bit fuller, giving the bar and restaurants more atmosphere!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

207 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is an excellent getaway from the hustle and bustle of city life. You can choose the sea facing hotel rooms in the main building or the sea-fronting villas. The spacious villas are self-sufficient and you can see fishes and crabs from your balcony that is over the water.

Room Tip: go for the villas..a true getaway
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I liked it the moment I saw how large the entire lobby area was. Lots of couches to slouch in should you need to wait for anything, big bar, big stage for live band, big restaurant, nice gift shop.

Liked it even more when I saw the sun and the pool from the lobby. Couldn't help running outdoors, exploring and soaking up the sun while.

Love the rides on the buggy up and down the hill.

My 1-Bedroom Villa is exactly as I see in the photos, right over the sea, no blockage, can see, smell, feel, and hear the sea every moment. That's what I paid for, what I dream off, and what I do not regret. I wish I can just live there all my life.

The entire villa is sea-view. Even the toilet is sea-view. I enjoyed doing yoga in the bedroom in front of the sea, and in soft sunlight. Never lived so close to sea before.

The rooms are excellent, clean (balcony is dusty because it is exposed), spacious, well-equipped. My goodness, the kitchen has everything, from pots and pans, to wine glasses and plates, knives, washing detergent, rice cooker, microwave, etc. I love the bathroom.

There were ants though, so be careful about leaving food out open.

Service is excellent. Although this could be because my husband and I were probably one of the only 20 - 50 people there?

They were on time for all of our room service meal delivery, and came down in 2 minutes whenever we call for a buggy to bring us uphill. When they didn't understand what we were talking about over the phone, two of them came all the way down in the buggy with the restaurant menu to clarify and take our orders in person.

I don't think the food is overpriced at all because it is restaurant food. And we pay about the same price, $50 for two person, when we go to Swensens in Singapore. The thing to note though, is that this hotel is far from city centre, so it is kind of like, you don't have a choice but to eat restaurant food for both lunch and dinner everyday if you don't want instant noodles. That's why the cost can really add up to some $100 per day, just for food alone.

Breakfast is adequate. Variety is not like Shangri-La (5-countries international buffet), but there are nice things, and it fills my stomach. I like the Soto Ayam and porridge.

The Kelong Seafood restaurant that is under Batam View is only opened from Wednesday to Sunday. And for Wed - Fri, it only opens from 6pm to 9.30pm. So if you go on weekdays, there is a need to think about how you are going to settle the lunch. If you go on Mondays and Tuesdays, you will probably end up eating the restaurant food for all meals unless you are willing to cab to city centre and back, which does not makes much economic sense at all.

The good thing about the restaurant food is that they are nice!! We loved the Fish and Chips, Salmon, Lamb, and Prawn. Only the beef is not that good. So you really do get your money worth if you are willing to pay for a proper meal.

Otherwise, there are lots of instant noodles being sold at the Gift Shop for a few dollars per cup. And Indoenesian Mee is actually quite nice.

As for the beach, it is not really for lying down. You can play beach volleyball there, but that's about it. I went for the Jetski, which I felt was expensive but nevertheless worth it, just for the experience.

I also took a canoe for 30 minutes. I wouldn't recommend the canoe or kayak, because they don't allow you to go into the wider ocean lest you can't control and float back to Singapore. It was disappointing because I get to kayak out to sea from East Coast Park, Singapore, and I really am not used to playing in shallow waters within the designated safe area. Perhaps it could be because Indonesian waters are much choppier than Singapore's, so the restriction. But anyhow, this is an activity easily available home in Singapore.

I would like to try the Gong Gong (some shell creature) fishing trip if I go back again.

I really, really love Batam View Beach Resort. It is an out of this world experience, and I will return to take the sea-top villa again if I can afford.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Stayed a couple of days with family, rooms adequate considering its a beach resort (albeit with no mentionable beach), service ok, but worst are the charges for food (e.g. under "Promotion" !! nasi goreng @ RM 30, some mee at RM 34, it's just ridiculous and you are taken for a ride here since taxi to town is also 100,000 Rupiah, hotel called taxi add 40%). The seafood restaurant within same compound is built into the sea, but the prices for quality and quantity of food are just horrendous. A medium size fish (for 2 adults, I kid) alone @ RM 280 ??
First and last time ever ....

Room Tip: Forget about it, any room will do but just bring your own food !!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
little red dot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Old fashioned hotel...the tv was bit small....the hotel spa prices were steeper compared to other hotels in town area...but I didn't get to try it as they had limited timing slots...pool looked alright but it was raining cats n dogs that weekend I was there...breakfast buffet was alright only.....frankly I wouldn't stay here again...it's too far from town where the seafood restaurants are...abt 30-40min drive away...unless u just want to be near to the ferry terminal n palm villa golf course....other then that...nope I prefer Novotel in town....more modern n centralized...breakfast there better too

• Stayed January 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

i have stayed in this hotel often,i found it good and the rate for the room resort are affordable,me and my partner are really happy anytime we spent nice afternoon,looking at the beach and the great ambiance surrounding,as well with good friendly staff provide us a good service, their kelong Sea food is also great for a quick sea food tests bug, i will fully recommended to visit this resort and we are also defiantly will comeback again in the near future....

Room Tip: deluxe on the 5th floor
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This resort is a disgrace and a cheat. If I could give half a star, I would. Let me say that I have been traveling extensively around the world, both for leisure and for business. I have stayed anywhere from cheap and simple accommodation to 6-star luxury hotels. I can safely say this has been the worst experience in my traveling life to date.

My wife and I booked a villa for one night to escape the hustle and bustle of Singapore on Monday and Tueday after Chinese New Year, with the idea to relax on the beach. We have been to Bintan a few times so decided for a change to try Batam and booked this resort as we were told it's best on the island.

We arrived at a very shabby white old building and entered the reception. There is no personal or separate check-in for the villas, despite those are way more expensive than the normal rooms (we paid SGD 380 for one night). After a long queue, the check-in staff could just not get it together, it took them about 20 minutes of walking hopelessly from one side to the other of the reception desk and various phone calls to tell us that our villa was not yet ready. It was 11.30am and they said the villa would be ready by 2pm. We then asked if the villa was occupied, which they said it was not. So we asked if housekeeping could clean the villa sooner, they called and let us know that we could get the villa at noon. In the 30 minutes wait we went for a round of the "resort". Walked past a pool filled with murky water, surrounded by screaming people playing silly games and quickly headed towards the beach.
The so called private beach is a completely abandoned, dirty, full of plastic, the deckchairs old and broken, the water very polluted. There is a bar which has not been in use for ages. Words cannot describe the shambles the beach is in, please check the pictures attached.
In complete disbelief we realized the beach was not an option and having seen the status of the pool the only hope at that point was our villa.
We headed back to reception to get our key, again we had to wait 30-45 mins to get it, we do not really know why. By 1pm we got in the villa, it's very old, run down, yes by the water, but sadly watersport activities are not confined to a certain area so we had jetskies and speedboats with banana floats and screaming people passing no farther than 5 meters away from our balcony, not quite the relax we were hoping for not to mention the fumes.
Having discounted beach and pool, the only thing left to do was to enjoy some lunch in the villa. We ordered food service from a very poor menu and got our food about 2 hours later!
Initially we had booked the last ferry on the day after, thinking we would enjoy as much as possible our time at the resort. By then we were already wondering whether to just leave the same day, eventually decided to get on an earlier ferry the day after as we had already paid (yes they make you pay in advance the full amount as they probably know most people otherwise would just leave and not pay!).
We called reception to complain about the food and also to check about our passports, which had been retained by the resort to fulfill the immigration procedures. The first two calls got no answer, at the third attempt we finally managed to speak to a lady. We mentioned about the food and also asked to be moved to an earlier ferry quoting as a reason "because we want to get out of here as early as possible". To our disbelief the lady replied "Yes sir, everyone is saying that!".
Two hours and the food arrives, we eat and leave the plate on the table. To cut the story short, after dinner we go back to the room and about 8 hours later the plates are already there. We moved them outside the villa, hoping someone will collect them. The morning after at 11am, before we checked-out, the plates were still there outside the villa.
We had booked a SPA treatment so we went to the SPA. We asked for a Romance massage, the lady at the counter recommends an Indonesian massage. We insist for the romance and can see the discomfort in the therapist eyes. The therapists have no clue, they can only do Indonesian massage, they just change oil and call it romance or whichever else is on the menu, but they still charge you for it!
We go back, get a shower and go for dinner to the seafood restaurant. Very poor ambience, no atmosphere whatsoever, anyway we order live fish to find out that only one fish is left. The lady informs us it will take about 20 minutes to steam the fish, we said that's ok, to bring the starters in the meanwhile, nothing too complicated, some noodles and vegetables. One hour later nothing is on the table yet, despite our constant reminders. I decided I had enough and go speak to the manager. He apologizes for the delay, saying that the food is coming, saying that they had full occupancy and therefore the delay, unfortunately when I look around me I can only see a few tables with people and most of the restaurant empty (again check the picture).
We have our food, the manager apologize again...but we are charged the full amount, not one single cent discounted, not one beer on the house, so classy! We are leaving when to my surprise the waiter chase after us, I thought to apologize again, give us a voucher or something...no it turns out he asked to see my room key to make sure I am charging my bill to my own room and not to some random ones! Outrageous!
As every single interaction we had with anyone at this joke resort made us angrier, we decided to stay in the villa and skip breakfast, while changing our ferry from the initial 6pm to noon as we just want to get out and go back to Singapore. We asked for some water and again....1 hour to deliver 2 bottles of water to the villa. We gave-up asking for a buggy to pick us up and take us to reception as it'd have taken another hour and we just wanted to get out.
Once we arrive at the ferry terminal, we realize they have not returned our 50 dollars deposit, so we quickly drive back to the hotel. My wife goes to reception to get the deposit and she is asked very rudely to queue again! She explained our ferry is departing in 30 mins, that we had already queued and checked-out, that they made a mistake not returning the deposit..still she was asked to queue. Once she started shouting and asking for the employee's names, only then she got attention and the 50 dollars back.
The last mis-adventure at the ferry terminal. We had re-booked for the 12pm ferry. Once boarding starts us and two more poor souls are asked to wait and go to another ferry as "it's faster and bigger, only for Batam View resort clients". Of course I did not buy it, I asked who else is in the ferry, no ferry will take only the 4 of us. I made it clear I wanted to leave at 12, I would not want to wait for other people to come. They said it was ok, the ferry would leave at 12.20pm. After much shouting (we realized only shouting at this people make them work), they told us the truth. Batam View resort booked us on a different operator (not BatamFast) that is waiting for a cruise to reach Batam and then it'll leave to Singapore. The 12.20pm was just a lie, the ticket showed 12pm, in reality they'd just wait and leave when the group from the cruise would reach Batam. We had enough and after much shouting, threat of suing, etc. they put us on the original 12pm....finally the ordeal is over.

Overall, a terrible resort, a cheat, terrible service, people just trying to get money out of you providing nothing in return.
They blamed Chinese New Year and full occupancy but I do not accept it:
1. CNY is not a suprise, you can plan in advance and hire more people for that period
2. We were not given any discount, in fact we paid premium price for CNY, so we should expect full service
3. The overall status of the resort and especially the beach have nothing to do with CNY, see the pictures to believe it.

Do not go there, in fact do not go to Batam if you are after a beach gateway. If you can't afford Bintan prices, best to say in Singapore. Your average condo's pool is better and cleaner than the Batam View resort one and hopefully you won't have weird people playing stupid games by it. The beach is much cleaner in East Coast, go to places like Mana Mana and they have way more interesting water activities at a fraction of the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Batam View Beach Resort? Share your experiences!