“Holidays from Hell” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Batam View Beach Resort

You added Batam View Beach Resort to your Saves list
Batam View Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Holidays from Hell”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This resort is a disgrace and a cheat. If I could give half a star, I would. Let me say that I have been traveling extensively around the world, both for leisure and for business. I have stayed anywhere from cheap and simple accommodation to 6-star luxury hotels. I can safely say this has been the worst experience in my traveling life to date.

My wife and I booked a villa for one night to escape the hustle and bustle of Singapore on Monday and Tueday after Chinese New Year, with the idea to relax on the beach. We have been to Bintan a few times so decided for a change to try Batam and booked this resort as we were told it's best on the island.

We arrived at a very shabby white old building and entered the reception. There is no personal or separate check-in for the villas, despite those are way more expensive than the normal rooms (we paid SGD 380 for one night). After a long queue, the check-in staff could just not get it together, it took them about 20 minutes of walking hopelessly from one side to the other of the reception desk and various phone calls to tell us that our villa was not yet ready. It was 11.30am and they said the villa would be ready by 2pm. We then asked if the villa was occupied, which they said it was not. So we asked if housekeeping could clean the villa sooner, they called and let us know that we could get the villa at noon. In the 30 minutes wait we went for a round of the "resort". Walked past a pool filled with murky water, surrounded by screaming people playing silly games and quickly headed towards the beach.
The so called private beach is a completely abandoned, dirty, full of plastic, the deckchairs old and broken, the water very polluted. There is a bar which has not been in use for ages. Words cannot describe the shambles the beach is in, please check the pictures attached.
In complete disbelief we realized the beach was not an option and having seen the status of the pool the only hope at that point was our villa.
We headed back to reception to get our key, again we had to wait 30-45 mins to get it, we do not really know why. By 1pm we got in the villa, it's very old, run down, yes by the water, but sadly watersport activities are not confined to a certain area so we had jetskies and speedboats with banana floats and screaming people passing no farther than 5 meters away from our balcony, not quite the relax we were hoping for not to mention the fumes.
Having discounted beach and pool, the only thing left to do was to enjoy some lunch in the villa. We ordered food service from a very poor menu and got our food about 2 hours later!
Initially we had booked the last ferry on the day after, thinking we would enjoy as much as possible our time at the resort. By then we were already wondering whether to just leave the same day, eventually decided to get on an earlier ferry the day after as we had already paid (yes they make you pay in advance the full amount as they probably know most people otherwise would just leave and not pay!).
We called reception to complain about the food and also to check about our passports, which had been retained by the resort to fulfill the immigration procedures. The first two calls got no answer, at the third attempt we finally managed to speak to a lady. We mentioned about the food and also asked to be moved to an earlier ferry quoting as a reason "because we want to get out of here as early as possible". To our disbelief the lady replied "Yes sir, everyone is saying that!".
Two hours and the food arrives, we eat and leave the plate on the table. To cut the story short, after dinner we go back to the room and about 8 hours later the plates are already there. We moved them outside the villa, hoping someone will collect them. The morning after at 11am, before we checked-out, the plates were still there outside the villa.
We had booked a SPA treatment so we went to the SPA. We asked for a Romance massage, the lady at the counter recommends an Indonesian massage. We insist for the romance and can see the discomfort in the therapist eyes. The therapists have no clue, they can only do Indonesian massage, they just change oil and call it romance or whichever else is on the menu, but they still charge you for it!
We go back, get a shower and go for dinner to the seafood restaurant. Very poor ambience, no atmosphere whatsoever, anyway we order live fish to find out that only one fish is left. The lady informs us it will take about 20 minutes to steam the fish, we said that's ok, to bring the starters in the meanwhile, nothing too complicated, some noodles and vegetables. One hour later nothing is on the table yet, despite our constant reminders. I decided I had enough and go speak to the manager. He apologizes for the delay, saying that the food is coming, saying that they had full occupancy and therefore the delay, unfortunately when I look around me I can only see a few tables with people and most of the restaurant empty (again check the picture).
We have our food, the manager apologize again...but we are charged the full amount, not one single cent discounted, not one beer on the house, so classy! We are leaving when to my surprise the waiter chase after us, I thought to apologize again, give us a voucher or something...no it turns out he asked to see my room key to make sure I am charging my bill to my own room and not to some random ones! Outrageous!
As every single interaction we had with anyone at this joke resort made us angrier, we decided to stay in the villa and skip breakfast, while changing our ferry from the initial 6pm to noon as we just want to get out and go back to Singapore. We asked for some water and again....1 hour to deliver 2 bottles of water to the villa. We gave-up asking for a buggy to pick us up and take us to reception as it'd have taken another hour and we just wanted to get out.
Once we arrive at the ferry terminal, we realize they have not returned our 50 dollars deposit, so we quickly drive back to the hotel. My wife goes to reception to get the deposit and she is asked very rudely to queue again! She explained our ferry is departing in 30 mins, that we had already queued and checked-out, that they made a mistake not returning the deposit..still she was asked to queue. Once she started shouting and asking for the employee's names, only then she got attention and the 50 dollars back.
The last mis-adventure at the ferry terminal. We had re-booked for the 12pm ferry. Once boarding starts us and two more poor souls are asked to wait and go to another ferry as "it's faster and bigger, only for Batam View resort clients". Of course I did not buy it, I asked who else is in the ferry, no ferry will take only the 4 of us. I made it clear I wanted to leave at 12, I would not want to wait for other people to come. They said it was ok, the ferry would leave at 12.20pm. After much shouting (we realized only shouting at this people make them work), they told us the truth. Batam View resort booked us on a different operator (not BatamFast) that is waiting for a cruise to reach Batam and then it'll leave to Singapore. The 12.20pm was just a lie, the ticket showed 12pm, in reality they'd just wait and leave when the group from the cruise would reach Batam. We had enough and after much shouting, threat of suing, etc. they put us on the original 12pm....finally the ordeal is over.

Overall, a terrible resort, a cheat, terrible service, people just trying to get money out of you providing nothing in return.
They blamed Chinese New Year and full occupancy but I do not accept it:
1. CNY is not a suprise, you can plan in advance and hire more people for that period
2. We were not given any discount, in fact we paid premium price for CNY, so we should expect full service
3. The overall status of the resort and especially the beach have nothing to do with CNY, see the pictures to believe it.

Do not go there, in fact do not go to Batam if you are after a beach gateway. If you can't afford Bintan prices, best to say in Singapore. Your average condo's pool is better and cleaner than the Batam View resort one and hopefully you won't have weird people playing stupid games by it. The beach is much cleaner in East Coast, go to places like Mana Mana and they have way more interesting water activities at a fraction of the price.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I spent in 3 days and 2 nights in Batam View Beach Resort with my friends and it was really a lovely experience. We really had fun and enjoyed a lot. The rooms were nice and clean. The staff was very nice and service was quick. The swimming pool view is amazing. The foos is really nice. Overall, we really enjoyed a lot and had fun.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice and spacy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

so relaxing place to have a gateway from busy and stress day..
cheap and breakfast is good.. we have a full breakfast on that day.. and usually we didnt mind eating breakfast in hotel.. but we had a full breakfast on that day..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Batam View beach hotel is a very Nice Place to stay with family or friends....private beach is very good......breakfast is nice....they have every thing like.......small bar, jim, simming pool.....etc...we can see a nice view of singapore from this hotel....its one of the major attraction of this hotel....i always recommed this hotel for every one........:)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Bath, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

This hotel was a joke.

We booked a night away from our kids and chose this place thanks to their Spa offer on their website. Well, we arrived at a really old & tired looking building, got changed and went to the "beach". well, nothing was open, beach bar/restaurant hadn't been open for ages and the beach was disgusting with no deck-chairs or anything similar to sit on.

Pool Bar - they have one but it is shut and they don't use it either. Why???? Surely they will sell more if the amenities where open?

Anyway, we went to complain to management and asked them to find us another hotel to stay in and that took 2hrs (since we only came over for 1 night from Singapore, this was eating into our chillax time). So I found Nongsa Marina Resort and we got a suite there and they took us to that hotel (only nice thing they did). Staff where useless and whilst waiting we had a couple of drinks in the shoddy lounge and some bar snacks (samosas and spring rolls). Everyone in the hotel looked miserable.

I highly recommend NOT to go to this place on Batam and to be honest don't go to Batam full stop!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

Everything seem to be.....as it is since I last visited 5 yrs ago. The lobby, the pool... Wangi Melati coffee house.I thought after all these years there should have some changes and I was wrong.

This place still has its charm somehow. Forget the town area. Take a slow walk around the hotel, the garden, the pool, the beach area and to the kelong and back to the lobby for a drink. Read a book, access the internet with their free WIFI at the lobby, have your legs massage or go for the 60mins spa package.

The only thing I cannot stand is the strong cigarette smell when I step into the room. I think it's time for the hotel management to consider a major facelift in order to attract/retain its customers hopefully when I return again the next time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Batam, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

we were here to celebrated our company's anniversary. I thought the hotel will be better if compared to hotels in the before years. This hotel have no problem with the room, but if you go to the beach, it's have delimitation in this side and the other. About the breakfast, this hotel just have a standard food menu. After all this hotel is just in average standard.

Room Tip: choose a room with beach view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Batam View Beach Resort? Share your experiences!