“Totally excellent service...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Batam View Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Batam View Beach Resort to your Saves list
Batam View Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29432, Indonesia   |
Ranked #3 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
“Totally excellent service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2007

My first visit to Batam... pp asked me why not go to Bintan instead??? its much nicer, better etc etc... well, i've been to Bintan and the hotel stay in Batam is so much cheaper... so i decided to give it a shot... I didnt regret any one bit about the decision...

I booked the 1 bedroom Villa stay using the hotel website... and made some calls to the toll free line to Batam... a very friendly staff, Artas, attended to my reservations... first impression is already very very good...

$300 for a 3D2N stay at the 1 bedroom villa, with 2 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner provided... includes ferry tics and transfers... the price is hard to beat...

Day 1:-
Monsoon season and was drizzling and raining for the past few days... after checking in, we took our buffet lunch at the coffee house in the hotel and went to our lovely villa... the view is breathtaking!!! we're right at the edge of the water... and the room is so spacious... fantastic!!!

We called the activities hotline to check whether there's any activities we can do on a rainy day... the sea sports were out of question, so we booked a cab to Nagoya Hill shopping mall... after shopping for 3 hours, we came back to the resort for a spa aromatic massage... all of us opted for the hot stones massage... it was totally soothing and very relaxing... thumbs up!!!

Day 2:-
Lucky us!!! Weather was fair and clear today!!! After breakfast we walk straight to the beach area... first activity- canoe... i'm really not tat much of a sporty person... so i wasnt comfortable in the canoe at all... every minute i'm afraid tat may fall into the water... in the end my hubby did most of the rowing... i just sat there with the oar... hahaha...

next up- Banana boat... VERY RECOMMENDED ACTIVITY... the ride was really fast and exciting... we could choose from 2 options... either normal or extreme... extreme means they'll flip the banana boat over and land everyone in the water... hahaha... sorry but we're not the adventurous ones... we prefer to stay dry... heehee...

one down side about the beach is that there're some black oil on the beach... all 4 of us stepped on at least a bit of it and its difficult to wash off... i really suggest that Batam clean up their waters to attract more pp to their island...

Our lunch was at their coffee house again but this time we decided to order from their ala carte menu... VERY RECOMMENDED dish is their mee goreng... its SUPERB... the best mee goreng i've ever tasted... you cant go wrong with that... fresh fish, fresh prawns, the noodles are moist and really very tasty... i give it full marks...

after lunch, we went for the river cruise... frankly speaking, it was the most boring part of our day... there's really nothing much to see except for mangroves and pp digging sand... you'll probably wanna give it a miss...

Dinner was at the Kelong restaurant... the set meal comprises of tom yum soup, garlic chicken, fried calamari, mixed veg, sweet sour fish, black pepper crab and fresh fruits... I was abit disappointed with the dishes... the soup was not up to standard, the chicken was too dry, the crabs were too oily... but the calamari, fish and veg were very tasty... overall a pass for the dinner...

Day 3:-
After breakfast we took a walk round the resort once again and took more photos... but after a while it started to drizzle again and we had to go back to our villa...

All in all, the service at the resort is excellent... smiles all around... villa was perfect... spa was great.... standard of food at the coffee house was high... i'll definitely go back again... but perhaps not during the rainy season...

• Liked — Spacious Villa and Fabulous View
  • Disliked — Nothing!!!
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

189 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2007

I went to Batam View resort with my wife and 2 kids and a couple with 2 kids. It was a relaxing experience in this resort. The exterior looks old but once you enter the resort, it was completely different. Big comfy chair and cooling lobby. The room is nice and cosy and the bed is comfortable. Hotel staff polite and helpful. Pool is a bit small but still ok. Go on a weekday if you wish to have some quiet moment at the beach or anywhere in the hotel as it's a bit too crowded over the weekend.

We opt for a full board package which consists of breakfast and lunch at the Wangi Melati Coffee House and a seafood dinner at their Kelong Seafood Restaurant. The food was ok. If you are heading down to the Kelong seafood, check with the counter staff to arrange a buggy to send you down. The trip to Kelong from hotel is 230m away.

Overall a great experience if you wish to have a relaxing time.

• Liked — Room
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

We spent the weekend - Saturday to Monday - at the Batam View Beach Resort. We took up the one bedroom villa. The villa that we got was the first one off main beach area and right opposite the beach loos! Not a good location for a 696-Singapore- dollar-for- two- nights stay (about 350 Singapore dollars per night with breakfast). The villa is a single bedroom wooden cottage right over the water. There is a smallish kitchen counter with a gas hob but no cooking utensils were provided. The commode flush did not work well which was a bit inconvenient with three adults and a child. The glasses provided smelt of pesticide and we did not use them as we were with a young child. I thought the hotel could have been a bit more generous with the tea and coffee sachets and the sugar - they provided exactly two- really budget for a non-budget price. The overall feel of the hotel is three star.

There was a children’s playground area was ok. The coffee shop buffet was reasonable but a bit restricted for vegetarians. Try the fried banana with ice cream dessert – that’s nice. We did not try the sea food restaurant.

The spa was strictly so-so – I had the head, neck and shoulder massage – which was mostly a back massage (??) and ended up with a sore back the next morning.

The beach was extremely noisy until Sunday evening with loudspeakers playing music all the time even through the Sunday afternoon. Some companies had their retreats here so there were additional loudspeakers to conduct staff games through the day. Not what we wanted when we chose a weekend retreat.

Service was overall reasonable - I kind of expected at least this level of service for the price so am not going to say that it was really good. However, the popcorn people refused to make fresh popcorn until the existing popcorn packs were over which I thought was poor customer service as they could very easily have made some fresh pop corn. And this was despite telling them that the popcorn was for a young child.

I would recommend the Banyu Biru Villas at Bintan instead of this hotel where we actually get a two bedroom villa (two storeys) for about the same cost with an altogether better weekend experience.

To note:
If payment is by credit card the hotel will convert the singapore dollar rates to Indonesian rupiah which in turn will be reconverted into home currency by the credit card company so we end up losing twice on the exchange rates.

• Liked — Nothing really
  • Disliked — Expected better quality for the price
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
sin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2007

i n my wife book a delux seaview room for a nite on 16th july 2007. On arriving we were impressed on what we saw at the lobby clean n spacious. the lounge area were impressive with comfortable sofa around it.
the room which we stay in were relatively big with a good seaview n a tabletop in it for me to do my work. wat impressed me is that they actually provided free intenet access in the hotel room(just ask for a lan cable from the reception in the lobby) usually other hotel charged.
the food they served in the restaurant is quite good n the price is quite reaonable.
As for the pool i prefer it to b bigger will be better
overall the atmosphere is good n a good place for relaxation n would defintely recommended my friends there.
if times permit i would defintely like to try the villa there. it have a tremendous view directly facing the sea.
for those who have not been there BATAM VIEW RESORT is a good place to try in batam.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
sin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2007

had just visited this resort last weekend as recommended by my
friend, is a total surprise tat i didnt know for just 30mins travel from sin , you can arrive at such a relaxing place at all... the resort's rooms is v new & clean, heard tat just been renovated not long, all the staffs r v nice & courteous, although u can actually just do nothing at all but just lying around the beach or their jetty area watching ppl fishing etc... discovering how life can b tat easy & simply actually.... sigh... but they do hv lots of sea sports activity avail.. though i do not hv time to try it tat day, must try next visit... wl ask more frd to join me then... saw few rows of seafront villas lying along the seaside... looks interesting too... i stayed in a deluxe rm this time though, if its not ex should try it ...
oh like their Islander lounge embience with live performers singing romantic jazz piece at nite...

• Liked — the v clean spacious rooms
  • Disliked — take time to explore the whole resort
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

Just went to batam view last sat.......
the room is very new and clean.....but the SPA really kinda of sad..
as rundown..and kinda not clean!in the end didnt take the spa.

the service for the front counter really a MESS!!!
super crowded...maybe due to alot of company function and school holiday..

and the swimming pool really small..as too crowded..didnt able to swim much.........

and the kelong resturant..really head pain to those elders..alot of steps to climb!!!!danger.....to the older age

And seafood not so fresh..my cousin have diarrhea after eating `flower crabs`

And when she want to buy medicine ..need to see their house doctor..which cost Singapore dollar $150 each visit!!!

And in the end..the next day..we left very early...

i will go back only for their Villa..as the view is great..

• Liked — The clean bedroom
  • Disliked — their villa
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2007

I went to the hotel in mid April. I had initially wanted to try Harris Resort but it was fully booked. So I contacted the Singapore representative office to book a few deluxe rooms as Batam View is one of the most famous resort in Batam. I made specific request like seaview rooms, king beds and a complimentary one way land transfer to Batam Centre instead of the usual pick up and departure point at Nongsa which was much nearer the resort.

The representative in Batam assured me that all my specific requests will be met as I had told him that I will cancel my bookings if none of the requests could be met as I appreciated people to be forthright right from the beginning.

My problems started the moment I arrived. I was told that no seaview rooms are available and my specific one way transfer back to Batam Centre could only be met at a Price of $5 per pax.

It was a most exsparating experience talking to the staff in the resort. They were rude, uninitiated, patronising and clueless. I repeatedly told them to check with the Singapore representative my pre-arranagements. I told them I did not want a car park view (which was what some of us were given) Come on, why should I pay the premium price of a deluxe room if I was given that view? I might as well stay in a cheap hotel in Nagoya Town. They did not want to check with the Singapore representative and I suspected they want to save on IDD costs. I have never seen such a CHEAPSKATE hotel!

I was embarrased throughout the whole epsisode as I went with some foreigners and there were other hotel guests around and the last thing I wanted was for my foreign friends to think I was being difficult. It is hard to control one's emotions when dealing with a bunch of thorougly clueless and unprofessional staff. What was shocking was that the senior staff did not lead by example and was really rude, speaks in a patronising mannner to me when her staff consulted her on the situation.

The best service from the resort ironically came from people who are not trained - the TRAINEES. They are professional and kept smiling depsite the heat of the situation. Hmm, I wonder what kind of training was given that could turm some young, aspiring individuals into a bunch of ignorant, imbecile, unprofessional individuals that I had witnessed manning the front desks that warm Saturday afternoon ?

The matter was reluctantly resolved after much haggling and it really spoils our mood.

If you think the above is BAD, wait till you hear this. Some of my friends had to check out early the next day and had to take the complimentary land transfer back to Batam Centre.A journey which would take 45 mins took only 15 mins. So anybody could have imagine the recklessness of the driver! Lives are at stake here, Oh BOY!

The rest of us who stayed later arranged our own transport at our own expense as we didnt want to inconvenience any of the hotel staff any further.

When I told the Singapore representative about the reckless driver, he claims that it is beyond their control as they had engaged the services of a taxi driver to meet my specific request instead of using the hotel shuttle. Granted they were trying to oblige, but don't they have to ensure the safety of their guests? It is convenient to simply shrug off one's responsibilities. I am appall and did not expect such service from a reputable hotel like Batam Veiw.

To everyone out there: Forget about this resortl! The Service SUCKS Big Time. There is total incordination and confusion between the Singapore respentative office and the Batam hotel. I will NEVER go back to this resort EVER AGAIN!

The only redeeming feature is the Banana Boat which I urged everyone to try.

• Liked — banana boat
  • Disliked — staff attitude
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Batam View Beach Resort? Share your experiences!