“Looking old and tired despite being fairly new” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
“Looking old and tired despite being fairly new”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2014

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and we were picked up at the ferry terminal. After a short ride, we reached the resort and we're promptly greeted by staff with cold wet towels and a welcome drink. That was a rather great start.

Check-in was longer than usual and we waited at the reception lobby to get ourselves registered. Luckily for the free wifi at the lobby, we managed to keep ourselves entertained. As we arrived in the late morning, they could only give us one villa (we booked two), which wasn't a bad thing since they've arranged for our two villas to be beside each other.

We booked a hillside villa for one night and a seaview villa for the next night. The villas were identically furnished and they were quite nicely decorated. Although the villas were new (we found out that the resort was built only like 2 years ago), we found that it was already showing signs of wear and tear. Stains on the tiled floor were apparent, broken shower stall handle, stuck room door and a half-filled pool were some of the issues we encountered.

We ordered a BBQ dinner on our first night and the staff did a fantastic job with the food and service. We had our dinner served at the balcony of our living room, beside the pool and overlooking the sea.

Breakfast was served at Tadd's, an open dining area beside the pool. It was a good thing that the morning was cool during our visit, although I can imagine it being quite an unpleasant experience if it was a scorching hot season. We were also extremely taken aback by the level of hygiene at the restaurant, with practically every chair at the restaurant stained with house lizard droppings. While the restaurant staff did try to find us 'cleaner' chairs, we still couldn't get over the fact that we still ended up with dirty chairs to sit on. However, the food served at the restaurant was delicious.

Overall, we did enjoy our stay and it's a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle of city life. There's not much you can do at the resort (the gym and jetty were both under maintenance), but you can always charter a taxi to bring you into town for the afternoon. Wifi is available in the villas and every public area of the resort, so you can still keep yourself entertained or connected with friends.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

Resort is very near to ferry terminal but rather far from shopping area. The villa we stayed in (hilltop) wasn't very well maintained. There were stains on the floor, sofa and bathroom considering the villa is relatively new. Deco is nice in and around - rooftop is too hot to hang out in the daytime but makes for good party at night except it's very humid. Each time we asked for room service/buggy, always arrive within minutes. Not sure if it's because we stayed near the reception. First day we checked in, the safe was locked out. Water heater is not giving hot water even after repair. Toilet gives off a strong sewage smell. Electric kettle is not working. It rains and water leaks into the rooms. Massage is great and staff always greet with smiles and ask if we are doing fine. Will probably return for the spa. Kids club is good but more can be done to maintain it properly. We went early one morning and the play mat was already dirty.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Von G, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed feedback about your recent stay at our Resort and it was unfortunate that you had a negative impression of our villa. Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the team, we will continue to work at improving and maintaining our product quality. Meanwhile, it is great to know that you have enjoyed the massage at the Spa. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

Was a great getaway trip for my friends and I.. Pretty pricey but well good things come at a premium right? We were ferried everywhere on a buggy.

Villa Standard
Maintenance was so-so. But we used slippers around the villa so it was ok. There is cooking facilities, but no pots and pans were provided. Had to ask them for 1 and it took like 3-4 phone calls to get it settled. Besides that, the infinity pool was great! There are 2 bedrooms, the master bedroom with an amazing, huge toilet, and the guest bedroom which wasnt too bad either. One of the rooms had a pretty bad air con which couldnt cool the room but we solved that by switching the fan on. Our neighbours were horrible though, playing loud tasteless music and smoking at the pool. There could have been more privacy for guests - we can see each other's pool from the balcony.

F&B
Daily breakfast - good variety, nice concept of live cooking stations. Happy with this!
In-villa dining - we had the in-villa BBQ. It was amazing! We had 2 personalized service staff, explaining each dish and the accompanying sauce. Chef was good too.
TADD'S - NASI GORENG IS THE BOMB!

Room Service - a little slow, and needed some "chasing" to get things..
Spa - Awesome! I tried the Montigo massage and scrub. Both were great, and I especially liked the rooms which were housed in huts facing the sea. We also tried the jacuzzi pool, until we spotted an aedes mosquito.... Staff also remembered my name throughout the trip.
General - The buggy came pretty fast whenever we called, and we realised one thing.. the staff never says 'NO' to any of our requests.. Whether they can fulfill it or not.. They would always check first :)

We enjoyed our stay a lot and didn't want to leave the resort at the end of 2 nights. Pricey for Batam standards but definitely worth the experience.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed sharing of your recent stay with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the In-Villa Dining and most happy to know that you had such a great time that you did not want to leave the resort! Please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the teams and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back again!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

This is my first trip to Batam after 6-7 years and this is definitely the nicest part of Batam. Group of 4 friends is the best combination as we all fit nicely into the villa. We were picked up at the terminal after crossing the custom and it is just a 10 min ride to the villa, check-in is pretty late but I imagine everyone checking out late. Had a leisure swim by the pool restaurant and lunch is delicious, far exceeded my expectations. Upon check-in, we were wowed by how beauitful and spacious the place is, 3 floors for us to lounge around. Living room that opens to the plunge pool, best sunset view! We had BBQ in the villa great service by 2 chefs and 1 butler, feeling very pampered. Always driven around by a buggy, and it is once of the most affordable luxury stay around Singapore. Skip the shopping center as it is a 45 min drive there and nothing attractive apart from A&W, classic!

Room Tip: Basic level villas is as good as sea front as view is not blocked
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Von G, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. I am also happy to know that our staff were able to meet your needs and please rest assured that your feedback will be shared with the team.

We look forward to your returning to Batam and to Montigo Resorts.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

It was one of the most beautiful resorts in Batam and it is awesome for a short getaway with your friends! Staff are really friendly and helpful. Price could be a bit pricey in Indonesia standard but for the standard of the villa we are getting, there is no complains!

Check out my blog at http://wanderlust-tales.blogspot.sg/ for further details on the itinerary we had for our 2 days 1 night stay and more photos.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Von G, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Motigo Resorts! I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and found our staffs are friendly and helpful!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

I had pretty high expectations for Montigo after reading the reviews. As I am a beach bummer, I have stayed in a handful of beach villas and for the price I am paying for Montigo, I think the service is quite disappointing.

Things went wrong from the 1st night we checked in.

1.We were given a villa with ppl staying inside. We'd to return to the reception to sort the issue.

2. Upon check-in, I reminded the staff on my sister's ferry arrival the next morning, I have also sent an email to Montigo to confirm all the ferry pick up. But apparently, the pick up did not have my sister's name and she had to wait at the ferry terminal for another transport to be arranged.

3. We called for in-flight breakfast as we were told during check in that breakfast in villa is possible. After making our breakfast order, I was told over the phone that all the orders made are chargeable! I was very surprised because I wasn't told when I asked about in-flight breakfast. So we had to quickly wash up and change and rush to the restaurant for our complimentary breakfast.

4. Hair Dryer wasn't working, called for house keeping but it never came.

5. Montigo agreed to allow us to check out at 1pm. But house keeping came knocking at our door at 12 noon. So we had to let them in to clean up the rooms while we are still in the villa!

6. Upon check out, we called reception for buggy service, but no one picked up the call. So we decided to stand outside our villa to try our luck to grab a buggy. But none picked us up and we waited for a good 20 minutes under the Hot Sun.

7. While settling our bill for the stay, a 2 million rupiah Spa was miraculously charged to my villa when I did not do any spa throughout my stay. Reception staff still showed me the Spa receipt indicating my villa no. and still wanting us to pay for the Spa. We had no choice but to say NO firmly, then the staff removed the payment.

7. We needed transport to Nagoya, the concierge arranged for a taxi and I was already sitting in the taxi that the concierge staff told us to hop on to, but to my surprise there was another group of guest who was also asked to board the taxi by their concierge staff. And I was ask to leave the taxi. Then we had to wait for another cab for another 20 mins with all our bags. We were one of the first to ask for a taxi, but ended up being the last to get a taxi.

I realize there is no communication between all the staff in montigo. We have to keep repeating ourselves, and the information given to us is so so so so confusing. The stay was all around the place, instead of feeling relax, we felt so stressful having to be worried of all the arrangements.

Montigo management should do more training in managing Guest's request and providing full information to all Guest.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Von G, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, September 15, 2014
Dear Sharon,

I am truly embarrassed by the whole episode. I have reviewed your feedback with my entire leadership team. I am truly sorry for this experience which is not the usual standards that we strive to achieve.We offer no excuses but sincere apologies on areas that did not meet your expectation and I am totally agree that things should have turned out better if we had handle it swiftly.

I certainly hope that these issues will not mar your impression towards the resort. If I could indulge you to give me a call at +627787768888 at a time of your convenience as I am eager to speak with you on your experience.

Once again, please accept my apologies.

Yours sincerely,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2014

Good: Clean rooms, each villa comes with a Nintendo Wii console and a ipod docking station for our use. Quiet and nice surrounding.

Bad: Staff response to guests' request is the slowest that I have ever experienced anywhere in this world. One bucket of ice came only after two calls to the front desk and more than an hour later. Similarly when we needed a staff to check on the Wii controller which wasn't working. I was glad we were about 15villas away from the main lobby (which is not a very easy walk too, given the slopes along the way) and not any further...because the buggy rides we requested for never ever came as promised by the front desk, and each time we waited for more than half an hour and eventually decided to just walk out.

I felt that this resort has been terribly failed by its staff...but if travellers are not too concerned about the slow responses from front desk, this resort is definitely worth a visit.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!