“so much better than expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“so much better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I did my research before I went on my trip and expected to be disappointed based on the reviews that were given. However, everything was so much better than I had anticipated. We were received at the ferry terminal and it was a quick 5 minutes drive to the resort. We were greeted at the entrance with friendly cheers and the check in was extremely quick and painless. Kudos to the friendly Seohyun!

We got a seaview villa that was very near Tadds, the restaurant, so we never had to worry about calling for a buggy apart from checking out (and it came quickly enough). The villa smells of clean laundry which was a big plus for me. Everything was clean, including the pool. The seaview villa seems to afford to best privacy if that is what you are seeking. The other villas were by the pavement so you get to see guests splashing in their pools on your way to breakfast.

However, that said - I did wish that the walls that separated the villas were higher as we had neighbours looking down on our pool from their rooms/sky terrace and even peeking over the walls. The low walls also means you get to hear all the conversations your neighbours are having by their pools - including that frisky elderly neighbour next door and the really loud pool party several villas down.

Yes, there were stains around the villa but the staff definitely have tried to clean them up. Let's face it though - they were caused by previous inconsiderate guests - like the morons who stuck gum all over the wood carvings around our villa. Blame it on the guests and not the service crew who have tried to remove them.

The food was to be honest, meh. For the price that we paid - we expected a far better spread for breakfast and even for the buffet dinner that was offered. It wasn't that great. We ordered room service mostly, and the a la carte menu was better. Food came really quickly too. (My husband is a vegetarian - and they have a small vegetarian menu which was really appreciated!)

Check out was quick and painless as well. Seohyun remembered us and had arranged for transportation for us to the Batam Ferry Terminal.

Overall - we really enjoyed the stay. We spent most of our time by the pool and really appreciated the top notch service. Thank you Montigo for the wonderful experience. We will definitely go back :)

Room Tip: We had a seaview villa that seemed to afford more privacy. We also had a villa that was a 5 mins wal...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Very nice resort. Good service too. The villa is huge. 2 stories of living space, with large living area downstairs and 2 bedrooms upstairs. no extra charge for kids. The staff were great, one very helpful lady at check-in helped us to confirm our return ferry and looked for us at the kids club to let us know our villa was ready ahead of time. There's also a free shuttle in the morning to the shopping mall. restaurant and kids club has no air conditioning though. Somewhat on the pricey side. No need for the seaview villas, we got the hill side ones and still had great view of the sea.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Recently me & 2 friends spent a night in a spa villa. Before I went I had to lower my expectaion slightly after I saw many unfavourable review from some guests. However I can safely say the resort did surpassed my expectation. I won't dwell too much into the details too much as there were already tons of reviews on this.

So let me get straight to the good & bad points during my stay.

Bad (-)
- Room service is virtually non-existence. I had to make 3 calls & waited for almost 2 hours before the 3rd person finally told me they do not provide lighter. They surprised us with complimentary birthday cake, but then ruined it by refusing to provide a lighter. We had to go all the way to the small shop at the other end to get one. Ok fine, later I requested for a bucket of ice but it never come. Bummer!
- Pantai restaurant forgot our order causing us to wait for more than 1 hour just to have a simple dinner. Everytime we asked, they just nodded & walked away. Until the manager finally came & told us they indeed forgot our order & we had to wait another 20 min or order alternative dish. By then we already lost our appetite.

Good (+)
- Villa is beautiful & clean. Ok, maybe not that clean since you can see some stains on floor & seat covers. The floor is slightly dusty & the pool light is also faulty, but those didn't bother us at all.
- Warm, attentive & great service from the lady guest relation manager who in charge of our stay. All the other staff are equally pleasant & nice as well
- Complimentary birthday cake & pastries.
- We were allowed late checkout until 3pm.

Despite the slight unpleasant experience with service & restaurant, this was a great stay.

Room Tip: For unblocked sea view from your pool, get Seafront Villas. But avoid Spa Villa, because you will be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

After getting reviews from some friends and reading up on the various types of villas within Montigo, I decided to book the Montigo Resorts at Nongsa Batam as advance birthday gift for my hubby who is simply a fan of resort holidays. I got my booking through agoda.com and got a hill top villa. There are 3 types of villas situated tiered at 3 levels - Seafront (lowest tier nearest facing the sea, hillside villa (middle tier) and hill top bvilla (top tier, highest villa). All 3 tiers give a similar panaromic view of the sea. However, if you only want to see the sea and not the view of other villas, you can select the seafront view which usually is slightly more costly. Not much diff if you ask me.

We arranged for a pickup at Nongsa ferry terminal with Montigo at about 10.30am. The drive was 5min away.
Staff - Very friendly and their service was awesome. Buggies appear at our door when we need them.Angkat, one of the staff from Tadd's restaurant really impressed us by arranging for the kitchen to prepare a portion of really authentic spicy sambal upon our request as I love spicy stuff and I find their chilli too mild for me. Dian, their recreation staff was a joy to be with on our 2 hr bike trail. Lilia, the recep lady in charge of our stay was thoughtful in making sure our logistical needs were well taken care of. I always believe that staff are the people who make the trip truly special.

Lodging - The villa was impressively huge and beautiful, just like in the pictures, Good for families and gatherings for 4-5pax. Spotted some ants, insects and bugs in rooms though which didn't really bother me after spraying some insecticide around. I was too busy enjoying myself and I take it that I'm in the arms of real nature. :) The mini fridge items and mineral water were free flow to our surprise and gets top up every day of your stay.

Amenities and food - Did not get to use the gym but it looks well equipped. Buggies were everywhere which made places easily accessible. The buffet breakfast spread was good and to my liking and prices at the other restaurants were also pretty reasonable.

All in all, both me and my hubby really enjoyed our 2 nights stay at Montigo. I would highly recommend anyone to consider this resort if you want a short getaway from singapore but want a different experience from the usual busy and bustling Batam hotels. I felt that the luxurious price was well worth the bucks with the exclusivity that came with it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed for 2D1N with my girlfriends as a hen's party celebration. We were impressed with the overall architecture of the buildings; the oversized villas, the lobby, main pool; as well as the interior design that portrays a very relaxed and zen feel.

Based on the just the villas, I will rate the resort a definite good stay. Love the huge space, the personal pools overlooking the sea, the zen rooftop, plush beds and branded toiletries.

However, service is definitely something that the management HAVE to look into, if they are planning on having return customers.

I have 5 pax staying in the villa and yes, we paid for 5 pax. However, EVERYTHING in the villa is set for 4 pax. We had to call the housekeeping/reception several times for ask for a 5th set of item and each time we call, we have to wait for at least 45 minutes before the item arrive. We did not ask for a separate single bed to be set up, BUT hello, we PAID for 5 pax, so why is it not being set up? Thank God that the sofas in the villa are huge enough to serve as a bed for 1 pax and extra pillows are available in the villa. No initiative AT ALL.

The last straw came when we called the reception at approximately 9pm. This time, we requested for an extra chair. My girlfriends and I have cooked dinner and planned to sit by the pool to have our dinner. There is a dinner table, with 4 chairs set by the pool. As mentioned previously, everything was set for 4 pax, so we had to call the reception for an extra chair. One of my friend did the calling and the lady over the phone told her that there is no extra chair available as all the villas are fully booked for the night, one restaurant is closed for renovation (we happened to walk pass this restaurant earlier in the day and yes, it is closed for renovation however all the tables and chairs are lying around the entire space) and the other restaurant has been set for breakfast. Such ridiculous response!! Knowing their level of service after countless encounters during the day to ask for a 5th pax item, we decided that a stool will do as well and we offered to return the chair/stool by 11pm, but the lady over the phone said that there is none available as well.

Dear management of Montigo. If you want to charge your customers for extra pax, you make sure that you provide all the necessary items for that pax as well. If not, DO NOT charge for the extra pax and nobody will complain.

To finish up on the story above on the chair, my friend requested to speak to the manager, explaining that this is ridiculous as we have paid for the 5th pax and we had to call them the entire day to request for extra items for the 5th pax whom we have paid for, and know what? The lady replied that she is the manager. My friend then asked to speak to the operations manager or general manager, to whom the manager on the line bluntly said that he/she has left for the day. Only upon such request, that the manager then told my friend that she will bring a chair over. And yes, we had to wait for 30-45mins to get it.

Come here if you just want to enjoy the space, however, avoid having to contact any of their service crew for any service at all, in order to ensure that you leave this place happy.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the spa, has better views. BBQ at villa is not available on Saturdays.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The villa is beautiful. as usual, I've split up the points into pros and cons.

Pros:
- beautiful surroundings. a lot of greens and the villas looks beautiful from the outside.

- the villas itself are beautiful! The picture other reviewers posted are sort of what u see here

- buggy rides to bring you to your villa even if it's only a 30 secs ride

- beautiful sea view and private pool

- had a nice dinner at the rooftop!

Cons:

- it is raining right now at 6Am and my friends and I were awaken by the loud bangs on the glass windows. We woke up, and found out that the window which had been shut tight, was slightly opened (maybe due to the heavy rain) and rain was coming in. Our toilet was also dripping with water. The stairway, because it is a little open concept, is also wet. Our shoes are ok thank god! We closed the windows several times and gave up. It wouldn't stay shut. And the glass banging And vibrating so hard is not really common.

- now, we don't know how we will get to the breakfast area because it's a good 2-3 min buggy ride away. The buggy rides does have shelter but it will not ensure that you stay dry when it's this kind of heavy rain. We will see about this...

- no nearby mall or anything to explore. Seriously it will be good to have more eateries or stuff nearby. The bus takes u to a mall 45 min away. The bus is squeezy and small. I don't know why they can't get a bigger bus if they r accommodating so many people.

- shower goes on and off heater. Sometimes cold, then suddenly scalding hot. So be careful when you use it.

- lizards! If you are really really scared of lizards, this is not the place for you. Believe me!

On the whole, I think that exteriority of a building is important but the interior should be taken seriously as well. With a flooding villa no one wants to come! And can you predict rain? No.

Excuse me now while I go and check if my toilet is still dripping and if my window is still securely locked up.

• Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is our 2nd trip to Montigo Resorts and we are quite pleased with the service except for the long wait for the room to be ready. We left Singapore at 1120 hrs and were met promptly by a staff at the ferry terminal. However upon arrival at the resort we were told that our room was still not ready (official check in time is 1500 hrs). We have no choice except to proceed to Tadds for lunch. After finishing at 1400 hrs we were told that the room was still not ready; but luckily a lady staff member suggested another alternate room which was ready. Hence we checked into Room 5 which turn out to be okay as it was much nearer to the lunch and breakfast restaurant (Tadds) , away from the construction site and have unobstructed seaview.The villa was very large and clean with 3 flat screen TV, indoor plunge pool , free wifi, oven and cooking stove. For the latter please note there is no knife for cutting and also no detergent around for cleaning the pot and pan.We borrowed 2 DVDs from the menu ,ordered some ices and then proceed straight to our villa to chill out. Breakfast was a little dissapointing as unlike the last trip where we have buffet this time we have to choose from 5 breakfast sets.
Dont forget to take some pictures around the private pool near Tiggo which is just next to Tadds.There was enough small bottles of plain drinking water to go around as we found 4 bottles in every rooms.The mini fridge was filled with cans of complimentary soft drinks.Please note you have to deposit some cash upon check-in. There is a free daily shuttle bus to Nongsa Shopping Mall (good for eating) at 1000 hrs and returning at 1600 hrs, Our requests for buggy was okay with no long delays.Upon returning we saw there was a large kelong restaurant (Amazon Restaurant) just opposite the ferry terminal.We cannot vouched for the food here as we did not eat here and there were no diners around but it does have nice view and the prices seem reasonable. We booked our trip through Panorama Tours in South Bridge Road Singapore as they charged per villas instead of per pax and used Wave Master instead of Batam Fast. All in all it was a good trip and there is no reasons for us not coming back.

Room Tip: Choose room with smaller number, Nearer to breakfast and lunch area . No need to call buggy. Also f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Batam View Beach Resort
Banyan Tree Bintan
Banyan Tree Bintan
#5 of 29 in Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 stars 950 reviews

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!