“Beautiful Resort! Service somewhat disappointing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful Resort! Service somewhat disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Recently me & 2 friends spent a night in a spa villa. Before I went I had to lower my expectaion slightly after I saw many unfavourable review from some guests. However I can safely say the resort did surpassed my expectation. I won't dwell too much into the details too much as there were already tons of reviews on this.

So let me get straight to the good & bad points during my stay.

Bad (-)
- Room service is virtually non-existence. I had to make 3 calls & waited for almost 2 hours before the 3rd person finally told me they do not provide lighter. They surprised us with complimentary birthday cake, but then ruined it by refusing to provide a lighter. We had to go all the way to the small shop at the other end to get one. Ok fine, later I requested for a bucket of ice but it never come. Bummer!
- Pantai restaurant forgot our order causing us to wait for more than 1 hour just to have a simple dinner. Everytime we asked, they just nodded & walked away. Until the manager finally came & told us they indeed forgot our order & we had to wait another 20 min or order alternative dish. By then we already lost our appetite.

Good (+)
- Villa is beautiful & clean. Ok, maybe not that clean since you can see some stains on floor & seat covers. The floor is slightly dusty & the pool light is also faulty, but those didn't bother us at all.
- Warm, attentive & great service from the lady guest relation manager who in charge of our stay. All the other staff are equally pleasant & nice as well
- Complimentary birthday cake & pastries.
- We were allowed late checkout until 3pm.

Despite the slight unpleasant experience with service & restaurant, this was a great stay.

Room Tip: For unblocked sea view from your pool, get Seafront Villas. But avoid Spa Villa, because you will be...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

After getting reviews from some friends and reading up on the various types of villas within Montigo, I decided to book the Montigo Resorts at Nongsa Batam as advance birthday gift for my hubby who is simply a fan of resort holidays. I got my booking through agoda.com and got a hill top villa. There are 3 types of villas situated tiered at 3 levels - Seafront (lowest tier nearest facing the sea, hillside villa (middle tier) and hill top bvilla (top tier, highest villa). All 3 tiers give a similar panaromic view of the sea. However, if you only want to see the sea and not the view of other villas, you can select the seafront view which usually is slightly more costly. Not much diff if you ask me.

We arranged for a pickup at Nongsa ferry terminal with Montigo at about 10.30am. The drive was 5min away.
Staff - Very friendly and their service was awesome. Buggies appear at our door when we need them.Angkat, one of the staff from Tadd's restaurant really impressed us by arranging for the kitchen to prepare a portion of really authentic spicy sambal upon our request as I love spicy stuff and I find their chilli too mild for me. Dian, their recreation staff was a joy to be with on our 2 hr bike trail. Lilia, the recep lady in charge of our stay was thoughtful in making sure our logistical needs were well taken care of. I always believe that staff are the people who make the trip truly special.

Lodging - The villa was impressively huge and beautiful, just like in the pictures, Good for families and gatherings for 4-5pax. Spotted some ants, insects and bugs in rooms though which didn't really bother me after spraying some insecticide around. I was too busy enjoying myself and I take it that I'm in the arms of real nature. :) The mini fridge items and mineral water were free flow to our surprise and gets top up every day of your stay.

Amenities and food - Did not get to use the gym but it looks well equipped. Buggies were everywhere which made places easily accessible. The buffet breakfast spread was good and to my liking and prices at the other restaurants were also pretty reasonable.

All in all, both me and my hubby really enjoyed our 2 nights stay at Montigo. I would highly recommend anyone to consider this resort if you want a short getaway from singapore but want a different experience from the usual busy and bustling Batam hotels. I felt that the luxurious price was well worth the bucks with the exclusivity that came with it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed for 2D1N with my girlfriends as a hen's party celebration. We were impressed with the overall architecture of the buildings; the oversized villas, the lobby, main pool; as well as the interior design that portrays a very relaxed and zen feel.

Based on the just the villas, I will rate the resort a definite good stay. Love the huge space, the personal pools overlooking the sea, the zen rooftop, plush beds and branded toiletries.

However, service is definitely something that the management HAVE to look into, if they are planning on having return customers.

I have 5 pax staying in the villa and yes, we paid for 5 pax. However, EVERYTHING in the villa is set for 4 pax. We had to call the housekeeping/reception several times for ask for a 5th set of item and each time we call, we have to wait for at least 45 minutes before the item arrive. We did not ask for a separate single bed to be set up, BUT hello, we PAID for 5 pax, so why is it not being set up? Thank God that the sofas in the villa are huge enough to serve as a bed for 1 pax and extra pillows are available in the villa. No initiative AT ALL.

The last straw came when we called the reception at approximately 9pm. This time, we requested for an extra chair. My girlfriends and I have cooked dinner and planned to sit by the pool to have our dinner. There is a dinner table, with 4 chairs set by the pool. As mentioned previously, everything was set for 4 pax, so we had to call the reception for an extra chair. One of my friend did the calling and the lady over the phone told her that there is no extra chair available as all the villas are fully booked for the night, one restaurant is closed for renovation (we happened to walk pass this restaurant earlier in the day and yes, it is closed for renovation however all the tables and chairs are lying around the entire space) and the other restaurant has been set for breakfast. Such ridiculous response!! Knowing their level of service after countless encounters during the day to ask for a 5th pax item, we decided that a stool will do as well and we offered to return the chair/stool by 11pm, but the lady over the phone said that there is none available as well.

Dear management of Montigo. If you want to charge your customers for extra pax, you make sure that you provide all the necessary items for that pax as well. If not, DO NOT charge for the extra pax and nobody will complain.

To finish up on the story above on the chair, my friend requested to speak to the manager, explaining that this is ridiculous as we have paid for the 5th pax and we had to call them the entire day to request for extra items for the 5th pax whom we have paid for, and know what? The lady replied that she is the manager. My friend then asked to speak to the operations manager or general manager, to whom the manager on the line bluntly said that he/she has left for the day. Only upon such request, that the manager then told my friend that she will bring a chair over. And yes, we had to wait for 30-45mins to get it.

Come here if you just want to enjoy the space, however, avoid having to contact any of their service crew for any service at all, in order to ensure that you leave this place happy.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the spa, has better views. BBQ at villa is not available on Saturdays.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

The villa is beautiful. as usual, I've split up the points into pros and cons.

Pros:
- beautiful surroundings. a lot of greens and the villas looks beautiful from the outside.

- the villas itself are beautiful! The picture other reviewers posted are sort of what u see here

- buggy rides to bring you to your villa even if it's only a 30 secs ride

- beautiful sea view and private pool

- had a nice dinner at the rooftop!

Cons:

- it is raining right now at 6Am and my friends and I were awaken by the loud bangs on the glass windows. We woke up, and found out that the window which had been shut tight, was slightly opened (maybe due to the heavy rain) and rain was coming in. Our toilet was also dripping with water. The stairway, because it is a little open concept, is also wet. Our shoes are ok thank god! We closed the windows several times and gave up. It wouldn't stay shut. And the glass banging And vibrating so hard is not really common.

- now, we don't know how we will get to the breakfast area because it's a good 2-3 min buggy ride away. The buggy rides does have shelter but it will not ensure that you stay dry when it's this kind of heavy rain. We will see about this...

- no nearby mall or anything to explore. Seriously it will be good to have more eateries or stuff nearby. The bus takes u to a mall 45 min away. The bus is squeezy and small. I don't know why they can't get a bigger bus if they r accommodating so many people.

- shower goes on and off heater. Sometimes cold, then suddenly scalding hot. So be careful when you use it.

- lizards! If you are really really scared of lizards, this is not the place for you. Believe me!

On the whole, I think that exteriority of a building is important but the interior should be taken seriously as well. With a flooding villa no one wants to come! And can you predict rain? No.

Excuse me now while I go and check if my toilet is still dripping and if my window is still securely locked up.

• Stayed October 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is our 2nd trip to Montigo Resorts and we are quite pleased with the service except for the long wait for the room to be ready. We left Singapore at 1120 hrs and were met promptly by a staff at the ferry terminal. However upon arrival at the resort we were told that our room was still not ready (official check in time is 1500 hrs). We have no choice except to proceed to Tadds for lunch. After finishing at 1400 hrs we were told that the room was still not ready; but luckily a lady staff member suggested another alternate room which was ready. Hence we checked into Room 5 which turn out to be okay as it was much nearer to the lunch and breakfast restaurant (Tadds) , away from the construction site and have unobstructed seaview.The villa was very large and clean with 3 flat screen TV, indoor plunge pool , free wifi, oven and cooking stove. For the latter please note there is no knife for cutting and also no detergent around for cleaning the pot and pan.We borrowed 2 DVDs from the menu ,ordered some ices and then proceed straight to our villa to chill out. Breakfast was a little dissapointing as unlike the last trip where we have buffet this time we have to choose from 5 breakfast sets.
Dont forget to take some pictures around the private pool near Tiggo which is just next to Tadds.There was enough small bottles of plain drinking water to go around as we found 4 bottles in every rooms.The mini fridge was filled with cans of complimentary soft drinks.Please note you have to deposit some cash upon check-in. There is a free daily shuttle bus to Nongsa Shopping Mall (good for eating) at 1000 hrs and returning at 1600 hrs, Our requests for buggy was okay with no long delays.Upon returning we saw there was a large kelong restaurant (Amazon Restaurant) just opposite the ferry terminal.We cannot vouched for the food here as we did not eat here and there were no diners around but it does have nice view and the prices seem reasonable. We booked our trip through Panorama Tours in South Bridge Road Singapore as they charged per villas instead of per pax and used Wave Master instead of Batam Fast. All in all it was a good trip and there is no reasons for us not coming back.

Room Tip: Choose room with smaller number, Nearer to breakfast and lunch area . No need to call buggy. Also f...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My group of girls and I in our early twenties are always looking out for a relaxing weekend and we have had many enjoyable experience in resorts such as The Capella in Sentosa and many other hotels. We had looked forward all week for our getaway expecting a luxurious and rejuvenating stay at the Montigo Resorts.

To our horror, we were on a downward spiral.

When we arrived at the ferry terminal, the minivan to pick us up was full and could only seat 4 of us. This is understandable as we did not notify the hotel in advance that there would be 3 more of us. So 4 of us decided to take the minivan to the hotel to do a check in first whereas the other 3 would take a cab.

Upon arrival, we were enthralled by the view surrounding the reception. However, we could see many restless guest waiting around probably for their villas. We waited for a few hours for our rooms and managed to check in at about 330pm.

And from here on, begins our nightmare.

1) The floors and even the walls were dusty! Makes us wonder if they were even cleaned! When we told the staff, she told us it was just how the marble looks?

2) The shutters would not come down. Called for help and apparently it was spoiled. The engineer had to manually yank it back down!

3) THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DISGUSTING FACTOR. :
FOUL SMELL COMING FROM THE TOILET. When we informed the staff, she just gave an apologetic smile. We thought maybe it was only temporary so we decided to let it slide. Apparently not! Every single time we step into the room, we would be greeted by the FOUL SMELLING TOILET FOR OUR ENTIRE STAY! Smelled like diarrhoea! Utterly disgusting.

4) Not only was the toilet foul smelling, when flushed, a small puddle would form by the toilet bowl. The bath tub when rinsed, had brown particles flowing off its sides and the bathtub's shower head could not be used.

5) Mini fridge, what fridge? It failed to cool a single beverage. A light in the living room wasn't working too.

6) Rooftop: Sad & pathetic. The view was amazing but our rooftop was completely bare, there were even dried leaves on the ground! Not a single cushion set up, they were all chucked in a corner accompanied by table tops and table legs. This was really disappointing! We were so looking forward to lounging at the rooftop.

7) The buggy would take up to 45 minutes to arrive despite us seeing empty buggy being driven around.

7) When the other 3 arrived at the resort, the staff demanded us to pay an addition of 100SGD++ for each extra pax. Despite paying additional 300SGD++, no extra beds, blankets, pillows, cups nor breakfast were provided! Was this additional amount imposed on us, a fine?

The staff also insisted on holding on to 3 passports! We could only have them back upon checking out or if 3 of us were personally escorted out of the resort by their staff! (& upon checking out, we watched the staff took the 3 passport out from a plastic drawing sitting on the reception counter. How dangerous was that! Anyone could have reached out and took our passports away!)

Montigo Resorts is surrounded by a lush view that takes your breath away but receiving such poor services and such a dreadful villa really makes one think twice about revisiting. The seven of us are scarred by this experience.

I have heard about the excellent service that my other friends received at Montigo Resorts. However, I am greatly taken back the double standards. Do different groups of people receive different standard of service? If that's the case, the organisation's code of practice needs to be reviewed or re-aligned such that all staff display impartiality and offer excellent customer service.

I hope the organisation can give an explanation to the aforementioned issues, as this is also a form of reassurance to customers that the quality of service that the organisation offers is exemplary and highly impartial.

Stayed - September 2013

Room Tip: Perhaps not villa 8?
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Worth to compliment...
1. The private pool was awesome!
2. Service was not too bad, especially the receptionist name Sutya, and the F&B staffs too.

Such a disappointment...
1. Fridge totally not cold
2. Light beside the TV was not working
3. No dishwashing liquid to wash utensils
4. Toilet has a bad smell and flooded with puddles of smelly water.
5. Shower head at the bathtub is not working.
6. Ants on bed
7. Buggy took close to 45mins to reach the villa after calling for it.
8. Visitors' passports were not kept in a safe place. Receptionist took them out from their drawer?
9. Villa's balcony was not set up and there were leaves here and there.
10. No close up mirror for girls to put on their make up?

Pictures are kinda deceiving because it didn't really appear as what I see. The whole resort experience can be superb IF you are lucky because they do not have consistency in their service, as well as the facilities management. Really disappointed with my first visit. Besides, there were no service recovery AT ALL.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Batam View Beach Resort
Angsana Bintan
Angsana Bintan
#7 of 29 in Bintan Island
4.0 of 5 stars 1,084 reviews

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!