“TO OUR GREATEST DISMAY.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“TO OUR GREATEST DISMAY.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My group of girls and I in our early twenties are always looking out for a relaxing weekend and we have had many enjoyable experience in resorts such as The Capella in Sentosa and many other hotels. We had looked forward all week for our getaway expecting a luxurious and rejuvenating stay at the Montigo Resorts.

To our horror, we were on a downward spiral.

When we arrived at the ferry terminal, the minivan to pick us up was full and could only seat 4 of us. This is understandable as we did not notify the hotel in advance that there would be 3 more of us. So 4 of us decided to take the minivan to the hotel to do a check in first whereas the other 3 would take a cab.

Upon arrival, we were enthralled by the view surrounding the reception. However, we could see many restless guest waiting around probably for their villas. We waited for a few hours for our rooms and managed to check in at about 330pm.

And from here on, begins our nightmare.

1) The floors and even the walls were dusty! Makes us wonder if they were even cleaned! When we told the staff, she told us it was just how the marble looks?

2) The shutters would not come down. Called for help and apparently it was spoiled. The engineer had to manually yank it back down!

3) THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DISGUSTING FACTOR. :
FOUL SMELL COMING FROM THE TOILET. When we informed the staff, she just gave an apologetic smile. We thought maybe it was only temporary so we decided to let it slide. Apparently not! Every single time we step into the room, we would be greeted by the FOUL SMELLING TOILET FOR OUR ENTIRE STAY! Smelled like diarrhoea! Utterly disgusting.

4) Not only was the toilet foul smelling, when flushed, a small puddle would form by the toilet bowl. The bath tub when rinsed, had brown particles flowing off its sides and the bathtub's shower head could not be used.

5) Mini fridge, what fridge? It failed to cool a single beverage. A light in the living room wasn't working too.

6) Rooftop: Sad & pathetic. The view was amazing but our rooftop was completely bare, there were even dried leaves on the ground! Not a single cushion set up, they were all chucked in a corner accompanied by table tops and table legs. This was really disappointing! We were so looking forward to lounging at the rooftop.

7) The buggy would take up to 45 minutes to arrive despite us seeing empty buggy being driven around.

7) When the other 3 arrived at the resort, the staff demanded us to pay an addition of 100SGD++ for each extra pax. Despite paying additional 300SGD++, no extra beds, blankets, pillows, cups nor breakfast were provided! Was this additional amount imposed on us, a fine?

The staff also insisted on holding on to 3 passports! We could only have them back upon checking out or if 3 of us were personally escorted out of the resort by their staff! (& upon checking out, we watched the staff took the 3 passport out from a plastic drawing sitting on the reception counter. How dangerous was that! Anyone could have reached out and took our passports away!)

Montigo Resorts is surrounded by a lush view that takes your breath away but receiving such poor services and such a dreadful villa really makes one think twice about revisiting. The seven of us are scarred by this experience.

I have heard about the excellent service that my other friends received at Montigo Resorts. However, I am greatly taken back the double standards. Do different groups of people receive different standard of service? If that's the case, the organisation's code of practice needs to be reviewed or re-aligned such that all staff display impartiality and offer excellent customer service.

I hope the organisation can give an explanation to the aforementioned issues, as this is also a form of reassurance to customers that the quality of service that the organisation offers is exemplary and highly impartial.

Stayed - September 2013

Room Tip: Perhaps not villa 8?
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Worth to compliment...
1. The private pool was awesome!
2. Service was not too bad, especially the receptionist name Sutya, and the F&B staffs too.

Such a disappointment...
1. Fridge totally not cold
2. Light beside the TV was not working
3. No dishwashing liquid to wash utensils
4. Toilet has a bad smell and flooded with puddles of smelly water.
5. Shower head at the bathtub is not working.
6. Ants on bed
7. Buggy took close to 45mins to reach the villa after calling for it.
8. Visitors' passports were not kept in a safe place. Receptionist took them out from their drawer?
9. Villa's balcony was not set up and there were leaves here and there.
10. No close up mirror for girls to put on their make up?

Pictures are kinda deceiving because it didn't really appear as what I see. The whole resort experience can be superb IF you are lucky because they do not have consistency in their service, as well as the facilities management. Really disappointed with my first visit. Besides, there were no service recovery AT ALL.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Arrived with welcome drinks at reception..it took about more then 1/2 hr for them to process my booking whereby guests who came in later , got their rooms earlier then us. The service is kind of slow.. and limited sitting area.....As we booked our rooms early, , we were charged a higher rate around 600+ per night..whereby the rate now for Agoda is around 250 sgd per night.. HUGE DIFFERENCE....so beware of this. we would personally suggest not to book through their website instead ...Quite furious that we are paying extra more the half the amount of what people is paying for..felt cheated. Made a fuss about it and the reservations upgraded our seaview villa to a spa villa..out of their goodwill. They sent us complimentary fruit basket and a basket of cakes. But the cakes were filled with ants..so we sent it back.

The spa villa's view was terrible as it was located right beside the ongoing construction. So We requested back our seaview villa. It was by then a guy which I believe was the manager (he's wearing plain clothing ,wearing specs) came to attend to our request. His attitude was really good which we would compliment him for this ...and he made an effort finding us a villa with no blocked view.
However, there's an incident on day 2 of my stay....we had guests barging in our villa with room keys assigned to them...was quite shocked about it. Seems like the staffs at reception made a mistake and assigned them to our villa. we felt it's kind of ridiculous not knowing there's guests already assigned to the villa yet made the mistakes.. We don't feel safe at all.. Follow by then, our villa access card doesn't seem to work anymore and we were locked out of our villa and we had to ask the mantainence staff to unlock our room for us.

Seaview villa - Roomy, equipped with Wii (2 games) , Ipod/iphone speaker (ipod,iphone3/4) , Pool is clean..some stains on the living room sofa..no washing detergent at the kitchen sink...must request for it. A lot of ants and spiders...but no mosquitoes. There's insect repellent in the villa. Not much privacy between villas..It's an open concept. Basically u can peek at ur neighbors.... and good luck if they are having party with loud music blasting. Walls are not sound proof..we can hear the loud music and screams even we were at the 2nd lvl bedroom.

Food- Inhouse dining - We ordered mee goreng and nasi goreng , both were good... Ordered Salad but it taste quite bad. Suggested asian cuisine would be a better choice.
For the free complimentary breakfast, it was a buffet style..packed with lots of guests every morning.. not much variety ,food tastes quite bad. Service staff not that attentive enough. We have to request our tea again n again before they remember it.

Spa - Rustic feel as the spa area is done up with bamboos..Not so bad.. The staffs were courteous and friendly.. Massage service was average. Massage and scrub for the price of $130-140 sgd..Cleanliness of the bathroom could be better...there's insects crawling around when we were bathing.

Overall exp: Average.

Room Tip: All the villas are the same, two bedrooms with inhouse pool. Would suggest a seaview villa if u wan...
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked this resort around end of July , checked the rates on the website was stated sea view room priced at $800+ So decided to book the room through phone but was told promotion only applies through website. So we went online to book and within less then 5-10 mins interval, the price changed to 900+ and there was a problem with the site for reservations and every time we reload the price will change. And it increased from 800+ to 1200+ within few mins. How is it possible for the price to change in such short interval? And my friend has booked the hotel for 500 dollars for the same room same days and montigo is charging me 1200+ for it. We mean this is so ridiculous. We have asked them to cancel my reservations and was told no cancellation no refunds. Their customer service response was incredibly slow. Such bad service. We felt so cheated. This is the first n last time we will ever book this resort. What a scam.

• Stayed September 2013
indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

With trepidation, I arrived at the hotel. Fortunately, my fears were uncalled for. The check-in was smooth. As expected, there was a welcome drink.
I wish the people at the front desk know more about the services provided at Montigo. After all, they are the very first people whom guests will meet. One of the receptionists did not know the services at the kids’ club. For sure, guests want to know what they can expect at a hotel so they can plan their activities. I was told to call the recreation desk. How troublesome!
Nevertheless, my kids enjoyed their stay in Montigo. The pool in the villa is enough to entertain them for hours. There is also a kids club where kids will be entertained.
The villa is too spacious for 4 people. In fact, 4 people can sleep in the master bedroom. I do not understand the rationale behind
A word of advice: Please bring sufficient water especially if you have young kids. The hotel only provides 4 small bottles of mineral water. Bottles of water are priced exorbitantly. We managed to get around it when we bought huge bottles of water on the way home from Rekezi Seafood Restaurant. 5 huge bottles for 25k.
We tried the room service. It’s really just average. Make sure you bring some snacks to keep your stomach from growling.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We chose the Weekday Special for a 3d2n trip and I guess it's a right choice as there aren't many people around. We heard on weekends, the resort is really overcrowded. Similar to what reviewers here have mentioned, the villa is not well-maintained, but I guess the overall service makes up for this imperfection.

Arrival
The complimentary transport arrived punctually and within 5 minutes, we reached the resort. We were offered nice welcome drinks. We were told that our room was not ready, so we went to Pantai restaurant, which is just below the lobby, to wait as the wind from the rain was very cold, so we didn't want to wait at the lobby. We were offered water by the restaurant, a nice gesture I must say. Within 10 minutes, we were told that our room was ready.

Room
We were given room 50, a Hillside Villa. As many have said, the Villa is really huge and I personally like the white theme. But because it's white, stains are very visible and I think it's not because housekeeping wasn't done properly, but rather it's very difficult to remove the stains as they have become permanent (although of course the resort can spend money to do some refurbishments). The sofa and daybeds were not very clean. Even the booklet on the resort info was dirty. We figured that while the management should improve on its housekeeping and maintenance, we feel the problem lies with the customer base of the resort - guests who travel in large groups, usually with friends. While we were there, we noticed quite a number of guests (mostly Singaporeans) who travel in large groups. So it seems like this resort has been treated as a high-class chalet. While researching on this resort in some travellers' blogs, I have come across pictures which show them manhandling the furniture (e.g. putting chairs inside the pool). I feel sorry for the resort to have such inconsiderate guests. We love the master bedroom and chose to watch tv here instead of the living room because we find the TV too far away from the sofa. Perhaps, the management should consider shifting the sofa nearer to the TV. This will create more space for the kitchen too. We love the bathroom and how it has natural lighting. The bathtub is huge enough to allow 2 people to lie down comfortably. Hot water is readily available, so this is a plus when filling up the bathtub. As mentioned by some reviewers, the bathroom has a strange step which makes it easy for one to fall, so perhaps this should be looked into. There is a weighing machine, but not sure why washing detergent, scissors are not provided, considering that the villa has a kitchenette and the resort should expect people to make use of the kitchen, so basic kitchen equipment should be provided. We request for washing detergent and it was quickly provided. We also asked for the equipment to open our canned food. However, they do not have it but offer to help us open it at the kitchen.

Dining
Our first breakfast was a buffet one. Food was average, although Mee Goreng is nice. Our second breakfast was ala carte and I was disappointed. I have been to resorts whereby during low season, ala carte breakfast was served instead of buffet breakfast, probably due to lesser guests and hence to avoid wastage. I'm totally fine with this, in fact, I'm against food wastage. However, we were only allowed to select a small selection of food and I'm only allowed to choose one set. So if I chose the American Breakfast set, I'm not allowed to choose the Continental Breakfast set unless I offer to pay extra. The waitress said I can choose other food choices, but must not exceed 161,000 rupiah in total as that's the price of breakfast per guest. I chose the Soto Ayam set which comes with Mee Soto (which was average in quality and in a small bowl) and a toast with scrambled egg on it, some fruits, juice and coffee. If ala carte breakfast is offered, I'll expect to have a regular-sized bowl of Mee Soto and not a small pathetic bowl. The toast is not bad. My experience in other resorts which provides ala carte breakfast was so much better with greater variety and you can choose whatever you want and totally free. Because of that, it allows me to have a variety of breakfast choices (i.e. Asian or western food) instead of being limited to either one. An ala carte breakfast should make up for the lack of ability to provide a buffet one for whatever reasons, and not an opportunity to rip the guests off (in other words, my breakfast for day 1 and day 2, by right, shouldn't differ much because I'm paying the same rate for both). We only had one dinner at Pantai restaurant and one lunch at Tadd's. We find the food at Pantai quite good, although not excellent. It was a free dinner anyway with our $50 dining credit. Lunch at Tadd's was quite good.

Spa
The best part of the resort. Spa was really excellent. We were served cold welcome drink when we entered. We opted for a 90-minute Montigo massage and it was really good. My therapist is very skilled and I'm grateful to her for the comfortable massage. Everybody in the spa is very courteous. After our treatment, we were brought to a quiet room for cookies and hot tea. The only flaw with the spa is I couldn't fall asleep and I think it's because the pillow isn't very comfortable. Variety of spa choices is limited and if expanded, it's really worth going. Prices are a little steep, if not for the one-off 50% discount given for massages. The spa manager was nice enough to offer 50% discount for massages if we make another booking. We didn't do so immediately as we want to spend our last day playing by the pool in the morning.

Time for a review?
Overall, we do enjoy our stay there as unlike some guests' experience, buggy service was mostly quite punctual. The security guard even took the initiative to ask if we needed buggy service. Most service staff are also courteous and warm. We enjoyed the pool very much, although it's a little too shallow for swimming, so I chose to do aqua-robics instead. Although the size of the pool is small, it's quite acceptable for simple and relaxing swims. We like that the villa is very spacious and it feels like your own home. What I feel require a major review is the kind of guests which the resort want to attract. It seems like the resort tends to attract large groups and I have a feeling it's not what the resort wants, given the sheer number of complaints about the resort charging for extra persons. In my opinion, this happens when each of your villa accommodates 8, so it is natural for people to want to bring in more people. When a villa has too many people, maintenance becomes a headache. So Montigo should think about what they want their resort to be. Perhaps some villas should be converted to 1 bedroom and therefore priced lower and some villas remain as 2-bedroom and priced higher. Reference from other resorts with villa concept to see how they do it successfully.

I will definitely come back again due to its close proximity to Singapore, lovely sea view (manage to see sunset for the very first time in my life!), refreshing pool, thumbs-up spa, and very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Choose the hillside room, the cheapest room, if you do not require unobstructed seaview. All rooms h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My friends and I booked the Hill Side Villa for one night. It looked nice and just like the pictures from the outside, but once we got into the villa, we were really disappointed. It seemed like there was no housekeeping done. There were stains everywhere, from walls to furniture. The floor is so dirty that it is impossible to walk around indoor barefooted.

Apparently they did not clean the place thoroughly as there were rubbish such as cotton pads and opened drinks left by the previous guests lying on the table of the bedroom. The bath tub was very dusty and dirty as well, we doubt anyone will use it. The most amazing thing is we couldn't find any soap or hand wash at all in the entire villa. We could only use the small pathetic bottle of body wash to wash our hands. There's no washing detergent in the kitchen as well. Made us wonder how clean the kitchen utensils are, by just washing with water after using. Housekeeping person takes forever to come after calling for one.

The rooftop was dirty and stained couches were all stacked in one corner. We spotted baby cockroaches and immediately we closed the door to the rooftop and did not step in there for the rest of our stay.

Buggy service was extremely slow, yet we are unable to walk from one place to another due to the distance and slopes. Be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for the buggy to arrive at your villa after requesting for one.

When we checked-in, the reception staff asked for our credit card for payment. When we checked-out, credit card was once again requested for payment. We were bewildered as to why they had to keep asking for our credit card and just as what we have guessed, we were double charged when I received my credit card statement.

For the kind of prices charged, please at least improve on the guest service and maintain the cleanliness of the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!