My group of girls and I in our early twenties are always looking out for a relaxing weekend and we have had many enjoyable experience in resorts such as The Capella in Sentosa and many other hotels. We had looked forward all week for our getaway expecting a luxurious and rejuvenating stay at the Montigo Resorts.
To our horror, we were on a downward spiral.
When we arrived at the ferry terminal, the minivan to pick us up was full and could only seat 4 of us. This is understandable as we did not notify the hotel in advance that there would be 3 more of us. So 4 of us decided to take the minivan to the hotel to do a check in first whereas the other 3 would take a cab.
Upon arrival, we were enthralled by the view surrounding the reception. However, we could see many restless guest waiting around probably for their villas. We waited for a few hours for our rooms and managed to check in at about 330pm.
And from here on, begins our nightmare.
1) The floors and even the walls were dusty! Makes us wonder if they were even cleaned! When we told the staff, she told us it was just how the marble looks?
2) The shutters would not come down. Called for help and apparently it was spoiled. The engineer had to manually yank it back down!
3) THIS IS PROBABLY ONE OF THE MOST DISGUSTING FACTOR. :
FOUL SMELL COMING FROM THE TOILET. When we informed the staff, she just gave an apologetic smile. We thought maybe it was only temporary so we decided to let it slide. Apparently not! Every single time we step into the room, we would be greeted by the FOUL SMELLING TOILET FOR OUR ENTIRE STAY! Smelled like diarrhoea! Utterly disgusting.
4) Not only was the toilet foul smelling, when flushed, a small puddle would form by the toilet bowl. The bath tub when rinsed, had brown particles flowing off its sides and the bathtub's shower head could not be used.
5) Mini fridge, what fridge? It failed to cool a single beverage. A light in the living room wasn't working too.
6) Rooftop: Sad & pathetic. The view was amazing but our rooftop was completely bare, there were even dried leaves on the ground! Not a single cushion set up, they were all chucked in a corner accompanied by table tops and table legs. This was really disappointing! We were so looking forward to lounging at the rooftop.
7) The buggy would take up to 45 minutes to arrive despite us seeing empty buggy being driven around.
7) When the other 3 arrived at the resort, the staff demanded us to pay an addition of 100SGD++ for each extra pax. Despite paying additional 300SGD++, no extra beds, blankets, pillows, cups nor breakfast were provided! Was this additional amount imposed on us, a fine?
The staff also insisted on holding on to 3 passports! We could only have them back upon checking out or if 3 of us were personally escorted out of the resort by their staff! (& upon checking out, we watched the staff took the 3 passport out from a plastic drawing sitting on the reception counter. How dangerous was that! Anyone could have reached out and took our passports away!)
Montigo Resorts is surrounded by a lush view that takes your breath away but receiving such poor services and such a dreadful villa really makes one think twice about revisiting. The seven of us are scarred by this experience.
I have heard about the excellent service that my other friends received at Montigo Resorts. However, I am greatly taken back the double standards. Do different groups of people receive different standard of service? If that's the case, the organisation's code of practice needs to be reviewed or re-aligned such that all staff display impartiality and offer excellent customer service.
I hope the organisation can give an explanation to the aforementioned issues, as this is also a form of reassurance to customers that the quality of service that the organisation offers is exemplary and highly impartial.
Stayed - September 2013
- Also Known As:
- Montigo Resorts Nongsa Batam
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Booking.com, Tingo, AsiaRooms, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Montigo Resorts Nongsa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.