“Terrible customer Service and terrible rates.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
“Terrible customer Service and terrible rates.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked this resort around end of July , checked the rates on the website was stated sea view room priced at $800+ So decided to book the room through phone but was told promotion only applies through website. So we went online to book and within less then 5-10 mins interval, the price changed to 900+ and there was a problem with the site for reservations and every time we reload the price will change. And it increased from 800+ to 1200+ within few mins. How is it possible for the price to change in such short interval? And my friend has booked the hotel for 500 dollars for the same room same days and montigo is charging me 1200+ for it. We mean this is so ridiculous. We have asked them to cancel my reservations and was told no cancellation no refunds. Their customer service response was incredibly slow. Such bad service. We felt so cheated. This is the first n last time we will ever book this resort. What a scam.

• Stayed September 2013

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

With trepidation, I arrived at the hotel. Fortunately, my fears were uncalled for. The check-in was smooth. As expected, there was a welcome drink.
I wish the people at the front desk know more about the services provided at Montigo. After all, they are the very first people whom guests will meet. One of the receptionists did not know the services at the kids’ club. For sure, guests want to know what they can expect at a hotel so they can plan their activities. I was told to call the recreation desk. How troublesome!
Nevertheless, my kids enjoyed their stay in Montigo. The pool in the villa is enough to entertain them for hours. There is also a kids club where kids will be entertained.
The villa is too spacious for 4 people. In fact, 4 people can sleep in the master bedroom. I do not understand the rationale behind
A word of advice: Please bring sufficient water especially if you have young kids. The hotel only provides 4 small bottles of mineral water. Bottles of water are priced exorbitantly. We managed to get around it when we bought huge bottles of water on the way home from Rekezi Seafood Restaurant. 5 huge bottles for 25k.
We tried the room service. It’s really just average. Make sure you bring some snacks to keep your stomach from growling.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

We chose the Weekday Special for a 3d2n trip and I guess it's a right choice as there aren't many people around. We heard on weekends, the resort is really overcrowded. Similar to what reviewers here have mentioned, the villa is not well-maintained, but I guess the overall service makes up for this imperfection.

Arrival
The complimentary transport arrived punctually and within 5 minutes, we reached the resort. We were offered nice welcome drinks. We were told that our room was not ready, so we went to Pantai restaurant, which is just below the lobby, to wait as the wind from the rain was very cold, so we didn't want to wait at the lobby. We were offered water by the restaurant, a nice gesture I must say. Within 10 minutes, we were told that our room was ready.

Room
We were given room 50, a Hillside Villa. As many have said, the Villa is really huge and I personally like the white theme. But because it's white, stains are very visible and I think it's not because housekeeping wasn't done properly, but rather it's very difficult to remove the stains as they have become permanent (although of course the resort can spend money to do some refurbishments). The sofa and daybeds were not very clean. Even the booklet on the resort info was dirty. We figured that while the management should improve on its housekeeping and maintenance, we feel the problem lies with the customer base of the resort - guests who travel in large groups, usually with friends. While we were there, we noticed quite a number of guests (mostly Singaporeans) who travel in large groups. So it seems like this resort has been treated as a high-class chalet. While researching on this resort in some travellers' blogs, I have come across pictures which show them manhandling the furniture (e.g. putting chairs inside the pool). I feel sorry for the resort to have such inconsiderate guests. We love the master bedroom and chose to watch tv here instead of the living room because we find the TV too far away from the sofa. Perhaps, the management should consider shifting the sofa nearer to the TV. This will create more space for the kitchen too. We love the bathroom and how it has natural lighting. The bathtub is huge enough to allow 2 people to lie down comfortably. Hot water is readily available, so this is a plus when filling up the bathtub. As mentioned by some reviewers, the bathroom has a strange step which makes it easy for one to fall, so perhaps this should be looked into. There is a weighing machine, but not sure why washing detergent, scissors are not provided, considering that the villa has a kitchenette and the resort should expect people to make use of the kitchen, so basic kitchen equipment should be provided. We request for washing detergent and it was quickly provided. We also asked for the equipment to open our canned food. However, they do not have it but offer to help us open it at the kitchen.

Dining
Our first breakfast was a buffet one. Food was average, although Mee Goreng is nice. Our second breakfast was ala carte and I was disappointed. I have been to resorts whereby during low season, ala carte breakfast was served instead of buffet breakfast, probably due to lesser guests and hence to avoid wastage. I'm totally fine with this, in fact, I'm against food wastage. However, we were only allowed to select a small selection of food and I'm only allowed to choose one set. So if I chose the American Breakfast set, I'm not allowed to choose the Continental Breakfast set unless I offer to pay extra. The waitress said I can choose other food choices, but must not exceed 161,000 rupiah in total as that's the price of breakfast per guest. I chose the Soto Ayam set which comes with Mee Soto (which was average in quality and in a small bowl) and a toast with scrambled egg on it, some fruits, juice and coffee. If ala carte breakfast is offered, I'll expect to have a regular-sized bowl of Mee Soto and not a small pathetic bowl. The toast is not bad. My experience in other resorts which provides ala carte breakfast was so much better with greater variety and you can choose whatever you want and totally free. Because of that, it allows me to have a variety of breakfast choices (i.e. Asian or western food) instead of being limited to either one. An ala carte breakfast should make up for the lack of ability to provide a buffet one for whatever reasons, and not an opportunity to rip the guests off (in other words, my breakfast for day 1 and day 2, by right, shouldn't differ much because I'm paying the same rate for both). We only had one dinner at Pantai restaurant and one lunch at Tadd's. We find the food at Pantai quite good, although not excellent. It was a free dinner anyway with our $50 dining credit. Lunch at Tadd's was quite good.

Spa
The best part of the resort. Spa was really excellent. We were served cold welcome drink when we entered. We opted for a 90-minute Montigo massage and it was really good. My therapist is very skilled and I'm grateful to her for the comfortable massage. Everybody in the spa is very courteous. After our treatment, we were brought to a quiet room for cookies and hot tea. The only flaw with the spa is I couldn't fall asleep and I think it's because the pillow isn't very comfortable. Variety of spa choices is limited and if expanded, it's really worth going. Prices are a little steep, if not for the one-off 50% discount given for massages. The spa manager was nice enough to offer 50% discount for massages if we make another booking. We didn't do so immediately as we want to spend our last day playing by the pool in the morning.

Time for a review?
Overall, we do enjoy our stay there as unlike some guests' experience, buggy service was mostly quite punctual. The security guard even took the initiative to ask if we needed buggy service. Most service staff are also courteous and warm. We enjoyed the pool very much, although it's a little too shallow for swimming, so I chose to do aqua-robics instead. Although the size of the pool is small, it's quite acceptable for simple and relaxing swims. We like that the villa is very spacious and it feels like your own home. What I feel require a major review is the kind of guests which the resort want to attract. It seems like the resort tends to attract large groups and I have a feeling it's not what the resort wants, given the sheer number of complaints about the resort charging for extra persons. In my opinion, this happens when each of your villa accommodates 8, so it is natural for people to want to bring in more people. When a villa has too many people, maintenance becomes a headache. So Montigo should think about what they want their resort to be. Perhaps some villas should be converted to 1 bedroom and therefore priced lower and some villas remain as 2-bedroom and priced higher. Reference from other resorts with villa concept to see how they do it successfully.

I will definitely come back again due to its close proximity to Singapore, lovely sea view (manage to see sunset for the very first time in my life!), refreshing pool, thumbs-up spa, and very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Choose the hillside room, the cheapest room, if you do not require unobstructed seaview. All rooms h...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My friends and I booked the Hill Side Villa for one night. It looked nice and just like the pictures from the outside, but once we got into the villa, we were really disappointed. It seemed like there was no housekeeping done. There were stains everywhere, from walls to furniture. The floor is so dirty that it is impossible to walk around indoor barefooted.

Apparently they did not clean the place thoroughly as there were rubbish such as cotton pads and opened drinks left by the previous guests lying on the table of the bedroom. The bath tub was very dusty and dirty as well, we doubt anyone will use it. The most amazing thing is we couldn't find any soap or hand wash at all in the entire villa. We could only use the small pathetic bottle of body wash to wash our hands. There's no washing detergent in the kitchen as well. Made us wonder how clean the kitchen utensils are, by just washing with water after using. Housekeeping person takes forever to come after calling for one.

The rooftop was dirty and stained couches were all stacked in one corner. We spotted baby cockroaches and immediately we closed the door to the rooftop and did not step in there for the rest of our stay.

Buggy service was extremely slow, yet we are unable to walk from one place to another due to the distance and slopes. Be prepared to wait at least 30 minutes for the buggy to arrive at your villa after requesting for one.

When we checked-in, the reception staff asked for our credit card for payment. When we checked-out, credit card was once again requested for payment. We were bewildered as to why they had to keep asking for our credit card and just as what we have guessed, we were double charged when I received my credit card statement.

For the kind of prices charged, please at least improve on the guest service and maintain the cleanliness of the place.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is the first time I left my comment and the purpose of leaving this comment was to share my experience about the above. Upon departure while waiting for the shuttle bus at the lobby, We saw the bus arrived with 15-20 people. However, not all of them proceed to the counter for check in as some of them went straight to the walkway beside the restaurant - sort of hiding. Myself and my friends smile as we understood what was happening. However, they got caught by the resort staff while they were preparing the Buggy for check in then end up have to approach the counter to pay for the extra person fee.

Same as the review I read here with regards to the extra person charge. I know it is frustrating and I totally understood that sometimes to make the trip more affordable and subsequently leave you with more money, you plan on splitting the room cost between the five of you or more. You may not know that most of the resorts charge an additional person fee nowadays, often range from $20 to $50 per person a night. Usually the fee kicks in for the third person as most resorts will allow two guests in a room in the room rates. This fee is typically applied at check-in although we're sure if a resort catches a ton of people sleeping in the room they could fine you on the check-out folio as well. If they catch you, the credit card they have on file will be charged the extra rate - at the least. They commonly catch people through housekeeping.

Last but not least, please reconsider when you booked the room for 2 instead of the real 4 that will be staying in the room, this is considered illegal - it's a form of fraud. They would likely just charge you the difference, but they could have you leave and could even press charges if they wanted. You might get by with it, but there is a decent chance you'll be caught. Just booked the room according to the number of persons staying to avoid all the hassle.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

In a span of less than 12 months, I had been back to Montigo Resorts for my third visit! I was there with my company on a 2D/1N offsite retreat.

I was quite surprised when the Guest Recognition Manager, Ms. Gig, still recognized me and remembered I last visited the resort with my two children.

When I reached the villa that I shared with my other 3 colleagues, I was delighted to find a handwritten card, attention to me, welcoming me back to the resort. And I noticed the fruit basket in my villa was filled with more variety of fruits compared to the other villas that were occupied by some of my other colleagues.

It was a small gesture from the resort, but I made me feel good as a returning guest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Good:
- convenient from Singapore - 40-45 min ferry from harbourfront, quick taxi ride to the resort
- spacious, 3 stories, master bedroom is huge, 2nd bedroom with 2 twin beds
- small pool in villa
- small kitchen - not very useful, but there
- staff very good about cleaning and room service
- golf across the street

The Mediocre:
- The top floor is pretty much useless - too spread out unless you are doing a party
- No lounge chairs by the private pool
- Nothing really around outside of the place, no place to buy anything to use on the little kitchen if you wanted to cook
- no beach
- no store - i.e. bring mosquito repellant
- one restaurant for breakfast, lunch, dinner, another just for dinner. The latter is pretty decent, but if you are staying for more than a few days the lunch menu gets pretty uninspriring.
- transportation - the whole place is pretty walkable, but they do have buggys to get you around. if and when they show up. We were there during the week and the place was empty and still had to wait 15-20 min for a buggy, in some cases none showed. Hassle if you have kids. I can't imagine how bad it would be if the place was busy.

The Bad:
- Bugs aplenty. Not one night did we not find cockroaches in the place, and I mean huge roaches. Ants all over.

Room Tip: They all looked pretty much the same. The ones directly on the water probably offer the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!