“Back for the third time” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Back for the third time”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

In a span of less than 12 months, I had been back to Montigo Resorts for my third visit! I was there with my company on a 2D/1N offsite retreat.

I was quite surprised when the Guest Recognition Manager, Ms. Gig, still recognized me and remembered I last visited the resort with my two children.

When I reached the villa that I shared with my other 3 colleagues, I was delighted to find a handwritten card, attention to me, welcoming me back to the resort. And I noticed the fruit basket in my villa was filled with more variety of fruits compared to the other villas that were occupied by some of my other colleagues.

It was a small gesture from the resort, but I made me feel good as a returning guest.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Good:
- convenient from Singapore - 40-45 min ferry from harbourfront, quick taxi ride to the resort
- spacious, 3 stories, master bedroom is huge, 2nd bedroom with 2 twin beds
- small pool in villa
- small kitchen - not very useful, but there
- staff very good about cleaning and room service
- golf across the street

The Mediocre:
- The top floor is pretty much useless - too spread out unless you are doing a party
- No lounge chairs by the private pool
- Nothing really around outside of the place, no place to buy anything to use on the little kitchen if you wanted to cook
- no beach
- no store - i.e. bring mosquito repellant
- one restaurant for breakfast, lunch, dinner, another just for dinner. The latter is pretty decent, but if you are staying for more than a few days the lunch menu gets pretty uninspriring.
- transportation - the whole place is pretty walkable, but they do have buggys to get you around. if and when they show up. We were there during the week and the place was empty and still had to wait 15-20 min for a buggy, in some cases none showed. Hassle if you have kids. I can't imagine how bad it would be if the place was busy.

The Bad:
- Bugs aplenty. Not one night did we not find cockroaches in the place, and I mean huge roaches. Ants all over.

Room Tip: They all looked pretty much the same. The ones directly on the water probably offer the best view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed here with a group of friends (9 of us) for a night over a weekend in Sep 2013.

I contacted a Sales Executive named Cynthia to help make my reservation. She was polite and efficient, even helping me to made several changes to my reservation along the way. Upon arrival at Nongsapura, we had to wait for a couple of shuttles to go by before we got on but that was ok as they sent a large bus just for us! The resort is about a short 5 minutes drive away from the terminal. We were welcomed by drinks and cold towel at the resort. Excellent way to start. Check- in was slow in my opinion and the staff had a bit of difficulty understanding me but we got through the basics. We booked 2 villas for 9 people. Each villa is meant for 4 but they can allow up to 5 with an extra fee. They got us the ones that were side by side.

Headed to Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall which was about 45 mins away from the resort. The concierge will help you to book a taxi and you can tell the driver to pick you up at anytime. A return trip will cost about 400,000 Rupiah or S$52. The resort also offers a free shuttle that leaves at 10am and picks you up at 4pm. Highly recommended to sign up for a spot at the concierge as spaces go fast.

The villas were spread out over the compound. The spa, reception and Pantai (seafood/ Asian restaurant) were one the left, most of the villas are in the middle and the kid's club, souvenir shop, function rooms, two swimming pools, TADDs (western restaurant) and Tiggo's (the beach bar) were on the right. We got the villas closer to the right so it was walking distance to the pools so depending on your your preferred activities during the stay, it's wise to request for villas near those areas.

Our villas were 60 and 61. We were escorted there by a lady from the Singapore Corporate Office who was there to help over the busy weekend. Very pleasant lady helping us to book spa therapies for 9 people, showing us around the villas, explaining the facilities etc. Our stay was made extra pleasant because of her. Wished we had gotten her name to write her a compliment. Oh, and the snacks, water and soft drinks you see in the villas? They're free! Have them and you can even ask for refills. No kidding. We called to Housekeeping to ask for ice and detergent and it was very prompt. Got them in less than 15 mins and all in just one call so I don't understand why some other guests who have reviewed this resort had to wait 1 hour for them. Bad luck I guess. Mind you, we came during a very busy weekend; that's why the corporate office lady was there according to her.

In the villa, you'll find a private pool with an outdoor dining area, a living area with XBOX and Wii machines and flat screen TV with cable, kitchen area with 4 cook tops, pans and pots, microwave oven, mini-bar and cutlery, guest bathroom and two closets on the first floor. Two bedrooms- Twin and Master with their own attached bathrooms on the second floor and a rooftop deck with cushions and day beds to lie on on the third floor. Very big and excellent for a luxurious for a short weekend getaway. We bought some ingredients from the shopping mall and had a very sumptuous dinner that night. The hotel provided breakfast and you can choose to have it at Pantai for an Asian breakfast or TADD's for a continental breakfast. I thought the food at TADD's was really good.

The next thing that made my stay even more enjoyable was the Montigo Spa. We made use of the pool and jacuzzi there. I liked that they enforced a "Silent" rule there for adults to relax without the craziness that goes on at the other two pools. And the spa staff even brought out cold towels, cold water and chocolate chip cookies for us to have by the pool. Does life get any better? Following the relaxation by the pool, we split up to try the scrubs and massages at the spa. I had the massage and my masseuse was attentive and excellent through and through. My friends who did the scrub were also very impressed. After the spa therapy, we were told to enjoy the rest area where they served us more tea and cookies! Going on top of that, they even called for a buggy to take us back to the reception without us having to mention anything. I guess the only point that they needed to improve were the pricing. An hour full-body massage cost $92 which was about or even more expensive than the ones we can get in Singapore.

Overall, a very perfect stay that couldn't be made any better. If I had 10 thumbs, I would raise it to compliment every single staff at Montigo. From the welcome staff, buggy drivers, security guards, the corporate office lady, spa therapists, Cynthia- the sales executive, restaurant chefs and servers, housekeeping staff to the silent behind the scenes staff, you guys rock and made me want to recommend every friend to visit this very awesome resort!

Room Tip: Grab rooms near the pools if that's where you're going to spend more time at. Saves you a lo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
I am truly delighted that you have enjoyed your stay with us and our staff were able to be part of that memorable experience.

I have also congratulated our Cynthia, Grace (from corporate office) and spa team for going the extra mile to make you comfortable and not to mention our kitchen team.

Such valuable feedback helps us to continue delivering great service to our guests. Though we have misses here and there, we "listen" to our guests to ensure that we are on the right track or make improvements when we are not.

Thank you once again and hoping to see you back in the near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We booked a hillside villa for an all girls' short getaway. Arrive at the resort at about 1030am (Batam time),Check in was smooth and staff is quite friendly. Requested for early check in but was told room is not available, which quite surprising as we came on the weekday. So, we decided to proceed to the only place (TADD's) in the resort which is open for lunch that day.

When we wanted to place our order at the cafe, was told by waitress that it is not available for lunch yet and we need to wait till 11:30am. Eventually, we only manage to order our food at about 11:45am as the staff were having briefing. Lesson learnt: Don't arrive too early.. Anyway, the food at TADD's was decent but nothing to shout about. Total damage is about S$20 per pax for a main course & 1 drink.

After lunch, we went to the only retail shop in the resort to check out what is available. My friend was hoping to get a swim suit/bikini. But items sold in the shop is quite limited, no swim suit/bikini in sight. It's also not really a convenience shop as you don't find the usual items like cup noodles and snacks variety is super limited.

We finally got to check in our villa at about 3pm. When we 1st entered the villa, we were very happy with how spacious the villa is. The view from the private pool is nice. The main room was very nice a spacious, the 2nd bedroom is of decent size. However, as we stay longer in the villa, there's quite a few design & building fault that is jarring to eyes.

1) Main Bedroom Bathroom
The floor in the toilet is not flat. There's a slope/curb thing in front of the wash basin area which is not visible and easily forgotten. My friends and I got tripped quite a few times. The door to toilet cubicle cannot be closed properly.

2) Main Door
There's no inner latch which allow us to lock the door from inside. The main door is more like a gate with gaps and the access card slot for electricity is just beside the door. Don't feel very secure, esp since we are just 4 girls staying there.

3) Private Pool Lounge Area
There are missing bulb, non-working light so it's quite dim at night.

The biggest shock came at night when we experience a massive storm in batam. It's only then did we realise that the side wall of the villa is not really solid wall but canvas. And due to the strong winds, the canvas sheets kept on slapping on the railing/frame. It's quite scary as we felt as if the villa is like not stable. Also, although we closed all the windows tightly, the curtains still moved quite violently like the windows are partially only closed. Upon closer check, I think there are gaps at the top and wind seeped through gaps from the top.

The buggy service is quite prompt during off-peak. But during peak hours like morning breakfast time or check out time, we waited about 20 min for a ride.

Hopefully, the whole resort can be more well maintained. It is such a shame as it could have been a top-notch beautiful resort but the misses have deducted quite fair bit of points from our overall experience with the resort.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for sharing your feedback in detail

I have taken note of our lapses for which I sincerely apologize. Rest assured that the points raised has been shared with my management team with a view to improve.

I have also taken note of your experience with the storm. I will add these to our records for consideration as part of our continued process of improving our standards and services.

Please accept my sincere apologies once again and I do hope that you will return to see the improvements that we have done since.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our stay was on 2nd August, after hearing more and more from complains from my group of friends, and realized the problems was not only with my villa (we had 4), I decided that I need to post this review.

We had a big group of 19 and booked 4 pool villas, 3pax were thinking of returning to Singapore in evening and not staying over. Check-in staff keep going on and on and on about extra charges if the 3pax stayed over, very rudely and unprofessionally insisted the 3 names and passport numbers listed, even requesting for them to sign beside their name as a sort of "declaration", I told the check-in staff that this is unnecessary, as I will pay for the extra pax during check-out if they eventually decided to stay the night, they have taken a deposit from my credit card anyway (circaSGD1700), I don't think such extreme measures will be necessary, I'm already irritated and this conversation wasted 20mins of my time. CHECK-IN process is highly unpleasant, and ranked the worse experience I ever had in all my hotel/resort stays.

Villas are not maintained at all, doors did not close properly in at least 3 of the 4 villas (main door, balcony, bedrooms, toilets and/or roof).

Sofa had a very strong stench of sweat, and stains of spills can be seen, have not been properly cleaned. Some walls were dirty, needing a fresh coat of paint.

The roof is not as it seems in the pictures, the cushions were extremely dirty and stacked up behind the door, the floor turned my feet black after just walking in and out, leaves and plastic wrapper was seen on my roof, the big wooden door handle was broken, and would seem to fall if pulled (unsafe).

The pool was incredibly dirty, you can clearly see floating particles and there were dirt at the bottom, the glass side of the pool is also moldy.

In villa service was alright in the day, they refused to leave a corkscrew with us, even though we explained that we needed it throughout our stay, and all 4 villas will share one. We even offered to just buy it. NO MEANS NO! Ice was prompt during the day, but it took 2 calls and 1 hour for it to arrive at night.

The worst part was at night! We were just chilling after dinner, watching tv, and at about 9.45pm a villa staff rang my villa, and used an accusing tone to state that my 3 extra pax have not returned to Singapore, and extra charges will apply. I very clearly stated at check-in that I'm fully aware of the charges and it will be settled at check-out, why do we have to be disturbed at almost 10pm? This staff insisted that I acknowledge the 3 extra pax, and said that he will return with a receipt for the extra 3 pax, when I told him I will pay at check-out, he still insisted that I have to sign on the receipt to acknowledge. HIGHLY IRRITATED by now, he just left and returned 15mins later with a receipt, which I just signed to get the nightmare over, and requested that he send staff to set up the day beds with sheets/pillows and provide toiletries. This did not come till about 11pm. They only placed the folded sheets on the day bed in 2 villas, and no toiletries came to any of the villas.

On toiletries, I just realized that 2 out of 4 villas did not have any, and my friends in those villas thought it was the norm, therefore didn't request from the reception. The shampoo in my villa is obviously recycled, as its was almost empty. Very inconsistent, how can they stock some villas and not others?

Everyone turned in at about 1am, but there was a neighboring villa that blasted music, it was too loud for anyone to sleep easily, so 2 out of the 4 villas called the reception to complain, nothing was done, the music lasted till 4am (afew light sleepers who couldn't sleep confirmed this). I was assured that this will be a quiet resort on the phone when I called to enquire.

To my horror when I went to bed, I saw that there were a stain on my bedsheet when i pulled open the covers. I was just too tired so I just place a towel on the stained portion and slept.

WIFI was slow and repeated log-ins required.

The whole issue of the 3 extra pax came at check-out again, the check-out staff was somewhat giving me a lecture on it, I was abit pissed off, and just told the staff to quickly tell me whats the total bill and just charge my card for it.

An unpleasant stay in all aspects, this is also a particularly expensive resort in batam. I really hope they can improve, as the infrastructure is good, just lacking maintenance, cleaning, proper training and attention to details.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

It was my very first trip to a batam Resort.Checked in on 31/08/2013 & was greetd by friendly & courtoues staff plus the Front office Manager who was always ever ready with his charming smile & warm gesture.Staff there were friendly & very polite.Only thing was that there were not much you could do at the beach frent which was not supposed to be for swimming or to laze around & for spa we had to go to Turi beach @ Tspa.Other wise if you need peace & a quiet way to relax & do nothning there's where you should head to .The food wasn't too great & hope that could be improve. The settings at the lobby & restaurant was very nice in white plus the free welcome drink was a bonus when you arrive thirsty.
Rosalind

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback

I am glad that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. I have also taken note of your suggestion on improving our food quality. We have since made improvements and I do hope that you will return soon to experience that changes.

Wishing you a great year ahead.

Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We took the ferry from Singapore to Batam, Indonesia for a side trip with my friends, very convenient just 45 minutes from Singapore. We arrived Batam on the day they were celebrating their Independence day, the place was great and the food we love it. We stayed at the 2 bedroom villa with swimming pool, each villa has a private swimming pool. Perfect get away place with friends and family. The villa has its own barbecue grill and roof top terrace perfect place to watch the sun set, we stayed at the villa with ocean view, just perfect!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. I hope that you will return soon to enjoy more of our resorts and the services that we offer.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nongsa
Spa, Mid-range...
#6 of 67 in Batam
4.0 of 5 stars 177 reviews
Free Parking, P...
Nongsa Point Marina & Resort

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!