“excellent stay in a great place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“excellent stay in a great place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

excellent, relaxed and luxurious getaway, 40 mins from Singapore.

our stay at Montigo resorts was near perfect.

Montigo is a big resort, expanding, ambitious, in Nongsa area, facing Singapore, in the indonesian island of Batam. The location is excellent in terms of convenience : 40 mins ferry from Tanah Merah terminal (Singapore) and a quick (free) and comfy transfer offered by the resort from Nongsapura terminal to Montigo. The place is calm, relatively green, offering this strange feeling of being in nature, despite having the view of Singapore's skyscrapers at the horizon.

There is an artificial beach, under construction, but the sea is neither clean nor inviting. However, this is not a problem, since each villa at Montigo resorts comes with a little private pool, plus two big pools near the Tadd's restaurant and the bar, and another one at the spa.

Each villa has the same layout, which means that the price difference between them are rather a matter of being very close to the beach, or close to the beach, or having a little spa cabana (for the probably overrated spa villas). My advice : go for the hillside villas, usually the cheapest, not too close from the possible nuisances of tha bar, main pools and restaurants.

One thing that is necessary to be aware of : Montigo resorts caters mostly for Singaporeans who want a quick getaway. Which means that it is full, more expensive, probably crowded and quite possibly very noisy (think families, partying people, djs spinning at night, queues at the overbooked spa and restaurants, and so on) during the weekends, while the weekdays are totally different : quiet, cool and relaxing and, above all, much more affordable, thanks to the weekdays promotions.

For its architecture, design, ambitions and "spirit", Montigo resorts is apparently quite inspired by two very successful villas project in Indonesia : Alila Uluwatu (Bali) for its design and (vaguely) eco-friendly appearance [but the location is definitely not as grandiose as Uluwatu's cliffs, however Montigo's villas are three times bigger and three times cheaper than those of Alila Uluwatu], and Qunci villas (Lombok) for its new project of swimmingpool's dining in front of the beach with djs and chic food [but the sea and the beach at Nongsa cannot compete with Lombok, however Montigo's project is more open and less snubbish].

The villas are big, smartly and elegantly designed. They can easily accomodate for a family (two kids), 4 people or more and they are a huge and very pleasant palace for a couple.
At the first floor, there is a big living room with an all-equiped kitchen (meaning you can bring your food and cook there, but beware of the ants!), comfy sofas, opening to a terrace with a very pleasant private infinity pool and a fragrant cempaka tree.
At the second floor, the master bedroom is great, with a big kingsize bed, a comfy large couch and a beautiful view over the sea. Adjoining the master bedroom, there is a fantastic bathroom, with a cool well-designed shower with chic amenities, toilets, and a massive bathtube in stone, with very high ceiling and a light-well, allowing you to enjoy a bath while looking at the moon... Next to the master bedroom, there is also a comfy room with two twin beds and another nice bathroom.
The third floor is a very pleasant big rooftop terrace, where one can have dinner, barbeque, a good suntanning or enjoying the moonlight. This part is probably what makes Montigo villas go to the extramile. However, i guess it might be a bit annoying in terms of quiteness and privacy when the resort is full, people from the villas uphill being able to peep at what's going on downhill rooftops and pools. Noise may be also an issue in the case of a packed resort (in weekends and Singapore public holidays). We were lucky enough to be almost alone in the resort and to enjoy a quiet romantic full moon at the rooftop, which is unforgettable.
In terms of amenities, the villas are fully loaded : comfortable beds and luxury bathroom and bedlinen amenities, coffee machine and everything you need for cooking, ipod deck, wii console, soundsystem, lcd cable tvs in case you could feel the strange need to watch tv in such a place, bluray and dvd players, and so on. Strangely, though, some basics are lacking : no hairdryer, no razor in the bathroom.

I would recommend to have at least a massage at the spa. Service is exquisite and massages are great (the Indonesian massage is better than the Montigo special, though). The massage rooms are clean and relaxing, in huts facing the sea, with that strange feeling of getting relaxed and pampered by typical indonesian grace, while seeing Singapore's seafront at the horizon. The spa comes also with a pool and two (non-heated) jacuzzi.

Breakfasts are at Tadd's restaurant, the main restaurant, facing the sea. Food there is average and the place is a bit too noisy. Pantai, chinese seafood restaurant, is much more classy, with a lovely setting and a beautiful view, and the enjoyable cuisine of chef Stacey Teo. Tiigo, the club-bar, is still under construction. There could be other solutions for dining : cooking your own meal in the villas, or having private dining at the villas (same price than in the restaurants).

Now, what makes the Montigo resorts so pleasant is also the quality of service there. People at the reception were exquisitely polite, efficient, friendly, cool and understanding. Check-ins, check-outs are smooth. Restaurant staffs were attentive and polite, although not always very fluent in english. Buggies drivers, drivers, security staffs and cleaning staffs were friendly, polite and efficient. And, as i wrote before, the staff at the spa was amazingly polite and freindly. Once again, this was in a semi-empty resort, on weekday. I hope the service can be as friendly and efficient in the rush of weekends.

This is definitely a place i'll be eager to stay again and again.

Room Tip: the layout is the same for all the villas, so it's better to go for a cheaper Hillside villa...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time off your previous schedule for a detailed feedback which is truly appreciated.

I am glad that you have enjoyed our villa and our services and that our staff were able to deliver great service that you enjoyed. I have also especially shared your feedback with our spa team and the staff were thrilled.

I have also taken note of the shortcomings that you have highlighted and rest assured that I will work with my Management Team on the improvements like language improvements.

Thank you once again and I look forward to your return real soon

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This luxury resort provides the best getaway for busy Singaporean like myself. Having read all the reviews here, I decided to take the journey south and try the one night hideaway myself. From the moment I arrive (I booked a car) till I reach front desk, the service was immaculate. I had dinner at Pantai, and was impressed by the selection of local/Chinese food. We ordered the ginseng chicken soup, broccoli with mushroom, calamaris, roasted tou fu and fried rice. I eat more than my fair share and ordered anoither bowl of tom yam soup (must try!).
The spacious room and its beddings were the highlight of my stay. The next morning, I even over heard a group saying the beds were so comfortable that they would return just to sleep in it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
I am happy that you had an enjoyable sleep experience amongst others. Alot of our guests share similar feedback with me on our bedding and even purchase them from us.

I am also happy that you have enjoyed our food at Pantai. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and he is delighted.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I look forward to welcoming you back

Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

Was staying with family and friends for 3nights in seafront villa and today in spa villa,well this is a great resort,the villa is huge with great view and pool, especially in spa villa with cabbana enjoying free soft drink in villa dining at sunset....somehow spa villa is smaller than seafront villa which is more expensive and also the food is not taste so well and we need to pay extra to go outside for lunch or dinner...need some of improvement on food, other than that i have no complaint..

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback

I am happy that you have enjoyed your stay. I have also noted your feedback on our food and have shared this with my Executive Chef. We will continuously work to improving our services.

Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and looking forward to seeing you again soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Hari Raya and National Day long weekend does not make for a smooth short getaway anywhere and I must confess when we arrived at Montigo, my heart sank at the huge group of people in the foyer who were checking in and out. We were early and knew our villa wouldn't be ready, so by the time we checked in, reconfirmed a tee off time at the Golf Course next door and Spa appointment, it was time for lunch. It was then that we met Gig and Seohyun, and the service levels sky rocketed. They were so attentive and so helpful, it really did sum up our entire stay. Our Villa exceeded expectation. It was very spacious, although the stairs to the bedrooms could be a challenge for kids and elderly guests. The private pool was the real star of the Villa, sitting under a clear night sky, in a private pool, looking back to the lights of Singapore was so peaceful. Breakfast buffet was a little disappointing, in terms of options. Spa was completely out of this world and the golf course, just beautiful. I think this resort will come into it's own in a couple of years once all the construction is finished and the landscaping a little more mature - but I loved it!

Room Tip: Keep the lights down at night so not to attract the bugs
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
My sincere thanks for your feedback

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us especially our in villa pool. I have also shared your feedback with Gig and Seoh Yun, both of whom were delighted that they were able to assist in making your stay a joy.

I have shared your feedback on the breakfast selection with our Executive Chef and we will continue to strive to render improvements as we obtain more and more feedback from valuable guests like yourself.

Thank you once again and hope to able to see you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Rented 2 villas for my family of 7 and we had a very enjoyable stay.

Villas had plenty of amenities and entertainment options such as private pool and Wii console etc. There are 3 bathrooms within each villa; master bathroom was very big with a skyview. There's also an option to cater for a private BBQ session at the rooftop of the villa (includes BBQ menu, personal chef and set up).

Staff was also very helpful, sending us to and from our villas with their buggy. Some of the resort's sports and entertainment facilities were still under development when I visited though.

I would recommend Montigo for anyone looking for a relaxing weekend getaway with family and/or friends. There is probably more affordable accommodation on the island, but the large private space you get in the villas is worth the extra expenditure.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

I am delighted that you had enjoyed your stay with us and for your kind recommendations.

I look forward to your return in the very near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Went to the Montigo Resorts Nongsa for a long weekend with fiends.
Found that there was not much to do at the resort as they did not have many tours or sports facilities available.
We went to the resort with our kinds and they did have a kids club house which was set up for very small kids 2 to 5 years of age upstairs or for the older kids there were WII and XBOX downstairs. As I am constantly trying to stop my kids from playing too much on such electronic devices this was not of a great help.

The rooms them self are very roomy but they are not 3000 Square foot as advertised (unless you count the corridors ans stair case and outside area.

There are three pools but you can only use one of them if you are under 16 years of age and the one you can use is rather small.

On the plus side the staff is very friendly and they do try hard. However, they do lack competency. In the restaurant the ham and turkey sandwich became a salmon bagel. And the replacement sandwich did not come as the staff had changed shift and nobody had told the new staff that our table still needed a sandwich. All in all it took one hour and twenty minutes for them to make a sandwich.

A bottle of white wine we ordered became a bottle of red. A request for a comb become a Golf Buggy, etc.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I appreciate the time that you have taken to share your feedback

Please accept my sincere apologies for communication challenges with my staff. I have discussed your review in detail in our Director of Food & Beverage and rest assured that we are working on to plug this issue soonest.

I do hope that you indulge us this occassion and I look forward to welcoming you back to our resort real soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

8 guys on a golfing trip.

Went for a 2D/1N golfing trip in Batam and decided to stay and find out more about the rather new Montigo Resorts.

Okay, some small but useful details first !
The villas have free wifi, can you can charge your mobile devices using the usb outlets via the TVs or the docking stations provided(only iphones 3GS, 4 n 4s, i'm afraid)
Best for couples or small families, however, do take note that if you have very young children or old folks, it maybe quite troublesome to climb those stairs to reach the rooms on the 2nd floor. The breakfast area+main swimming pool are a slight distant away. You can walk (healthy option) or call for a buggy to take you there n back.

Overall, the resort is lovely, new and at some areas, still constructing new buildings/villas.
The 2 room villas has 3 floors. Once you enter in, you will be greeted by the large living room. It has many a amenity like, 42in TV, Bose docking system, large sofas and service apartment style cooking area. Just outside the glass door is the mini "infinity" pool, with the very nice sea view to relax and soak in.

On the 2nd floor are the 2 huge rooms. One is with a Queen size bed n the other is Twin bedded. Both comes with (again) huge bathroom/toilet and overall it is very cosy !
There's a smaller size 24" TV and iLurve docking station. Once again, you have the nice sea view just right infront of you.

And now, the rooftop ! It is a beautiful place to rest n relax at, howbeit, ONLY from evening n sun down onwards. You WON'T wanna be baked there during the day ! A great place for BBQ, as this can be arranged directly with the resort or your booking agent.

Dinner setting at the restaurants are mainly set up for couples and with candlelight lovely dovely ambiance. I did not check out the prices but do believe it should set you back a fair bit.
We opted to go to the nearby Amazon Seafood, which is literally next to the Ferry Terminal ! The food was GREAT n very very reasonable !

Lastly, besides the resort, there is really nothing much going around there. Can get too boring easily ! You can request for paid transfers to town (sorry not sure how $$) but the one way trip is one hour car ride. Then there is the old but familiar Batam View Resort next door as well as Palm Springs Golf Courses just next to it too.

Well, just my opinion n sharing. Hope you find this helpful and if you do go, have fun n enjoy yourselves ! cheers !

Room Tip: Need to climb stairs to the rooms, so those with young children n old folks please take note
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience

I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay. We have several activities in the resort that you could indulge in ranging from tennis games, cycling trips, kampung tours, fishing and firefly trips to sea sports.

I do hope that you will return to stay with us again real soon.

Thank you once again and looking forward to welcoming you back.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!