Went on a trip for 5 to Montigo, from 14 to 16 June 2013. Having read mixed reviews on Tripadvisor before our trip, we made sure to manage our expectations before we even arrived.
1) Private yacht - This saves a lot of hassle from immigration. They do have to keep your passports with them till the end of your trip, though you may request to take it back if you feel uncomfortable. We chose to just keep it with them and got it returned to us during the yacht ride back. The staff onboard were lovely, and we got to experience both the smaller and bigger yacht (bigger one rocks obviously, as it came with a sun deck/bed which you can lounge on during the trip).
2) Food - The buffet breakfast was satisfying. I particularly enjoyed the Mee Soto and Lontong that were available.
3) Pool - The villa's pool is gorgeous! I really enjoyed it and pretty much lived in it for the 3 days I was there.
4) King sized bed - Really comfortable, even when shared amongst 3 (albeit not very tall) people. The sofa bed in the master bedroom can double up as a bed if required. The 3 of us didn't mind squeezing with so we chose to crash on the king sized bed together instead of using the sofa bed.
Now on to the not so great...
1) Service - Don't get me wrong, most of the staff were really lovely and greeted us wherever we went. However, there were 1 or 2 staff whose tone were bordering on rude when we called for room service. For instance, on our last night, we received a call letting us know that the yacht that was supposed to send us back broke down. We were offered a replacement yacht which would leave at 5pm (usual check out time is 12pm) and they would extend our checkout time till then. This arrangement was fine with us. However, on the day of checkout at 12pm, they called us to say "Do you know that it is checkout time now? Did you extend your stay? Who said you could have complimentary late checkout?". I chalk it up to lack of training as it is still really new, and miscommunication between the reception team. But for a luxury resort, they really need to work it out.
2) Stains - For a new resort, they already have stains on the floor in our kitchenette and bathroom mirror. The doors looked old too. Perhaps they focused too much on the aesthetics and neglected to think how they can maintain what they have?
3) Bugs - Disclaimer: Personally, I HATE insects. And unfortunately, there were plenty. From roaches, to spiders and ants. There were even ants on the bed (killed 6 on the first night before we slept). Did I mention that the bugs are all supersized? Insecticides are provided, though I recommend bringing a friend/family member along who isn't afraid of dealing with them. Surprisingly, no mosquitoes when we were there though. Plus point there!
4) Room service - They tend to take awhile with your request(s). Could also be inconsistent as we ordered the Burbur Ayam (chicken porridge basically) for lunch, and it came with a yummy Mee Soto broth which we loved. So we decided to order it for dinner as well, but they ran out of broth and gave us some sort of oil instead. Not so yummy and we were really disappointed.
5) Technical issues - The villa blacked out once, though it took only 10s for everything to recover. And the master bedroom's aircon turned off by itself in the middle of the night (even though we didn't set anything).
1) Bring dvds and your ipod. They have dvd players and speaker docks in the living room and bedrooms.
2) Microwave and induction stove available. Though we didn't cook, we used to microwave to heat up our food and even made popcorn!
3) If you are planning to stay in and not leave the villa (what we did), load up on snacks and canned food to help you get through the day.
All in all, we really enjoyed ourselves. Our plan was to stay in the villa, so we did not travel out to explore the rest of Batam. It is a pity that there were some imperfections that I could not overlook. Would I return though? Definitely! Hopefully when they have worked out all their issues when they officially launch.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Agoda, AsiaRooms, Despegar.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Montigo Resorts Nongsa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Montigo Resorts Nongsa Batam