“Great potential, if all kinks are resolved.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Great potential, if all kinks are resolved.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Went on a trip for 5 to Montigo, from 14 to 16 June 2013. Having read mixed reviews on Tripadvisor before our trip, we made sure to manage our expectations before we even arrived.

Pros:
1) Private yacht - This saves a lot of hassle from immigration. They do have to keep your passports with them till the end of your trip, though you may request to take it back if you feel uncomfortable. We chose to just keep it with them and got it returned to us during the yacht ride back. The staff onboard were lovely, and we got to experience both the smaller and bigger yacht (bigger one rocks obviously, as it came with a sun deck/bed which you can lounge on during the trip).

2) Food - The buffet breakfast was satisfying. I particularly enjoyed the Mee Soto and Lontong that were available.

3) Pool - The villa's pool is gorgeous! I really enjoyed it and pretty much lived in it for the 3 days I was there.

4) King sized bed - Really comfortable, even when shared amongst 3 (albeit not very tall) people. The sofa bed in the master bedroom can double up as a bed if required. The 3 of us didn't mind squeezing with so we chose to crash on the king sized bed together instead of using the sofa bed.

Now on to the not so great...

Cons:
1) Service - Don't get me wrong, most of the staff were really lovely and greeted us wherever we went. However, there were 1 or 2 staff whose tone were bordering on rude when we called for room service. For instance, on our last night, we received a call letting us know that the yacht that was supposed to send us back broke down. We were offered a replacement yacht which would leave at 5pm (usual check out time is 12pm) and they would extend our checkout time till then. This arrangement was fine with us. However, on the day of checkout at 12pm, they called us to say "Do you know that it is checkout time now? Did you extend your stay? Who said you could have complimentary late checkout?". I chalk it up to lack of training as it is still really new, and miscommunication between the reception team. But for a luxury resort, they really need to work it out.

2) Stains - For a new resort, they already have stains on the floor in our kitchenette and bathroom mirror. The doors looked old too. Perhaps they focused too much on the aesthetics and neglected to think how they can maintain what they have?

3) Bugs - Disclaimer: Personally, I HATE insects. And unfortunately, there were plenty. From roaches, to spiders and ants. There were even ants on the bed (killed 6 on the first night before we slept). Did I mention that the bugs are all supersized? Insecticides are provided, though I recommend bringing a friend/family member along who isn't afraid of dealing with them. Surprisingly, no mosquitoes when we were there though. Plus point there!

4) Room service - They tend to take awhile with your request(s). Could also be inconsistent as we ordered the Burbur Ayam (chicken porridge basically) for lunch, and it came with a yummy Mee Soto broth which we loved. So we decided to order it for dinner as well, but they ran out of broth and gave us some sort of oil instead. Not so yummy and we were really disappointed.

5) Technical issues - The villa blacked out once, though it took only 10s for everything to recover. And the master bedroom's aircon turned off by itself in the middle of the night (even though we didn't set anything).

Tips:
1) Bring dvds and your ipod. They have dvd players and speaker docks in the living room and bedrooms.
2) Microwave and induction stove available. Though we didn't cook, we used to microwave to heat up our food and even made popcorn!
3) If you are planning to stay in and not leave the villa (what we did), load up on snacks and canned food to help you get through the day.

All in all, we really enjoyed ourselves. Our plan was to stay in the villa, so we did not travel out to explore the rest of Batam. It is a pity that there were some imperfections that I could not overlook. Would I return though? Definitely! Hopefully when they have worked out all their issues when they officially launch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
I wish to thank you for taking the time to share a detailed feedback.

I am happy with the pros and I have read with concern on the cons. I have shared your feedback with my operational team especially the heads so that we can continously work on improving on the consistency of our standards. The focus on training our staff continues in our pursuit for perfection.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the cons and I hope that you indulge us. I look forward to your return in the very near future.

264 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Montigo is definitely a great place for a short getaway. However, given the image that Montigo is a luxurious getaway resort coupled with the stunning pictures of the villa rooms and facilities, we had expected much more, and were a little disappointed with what we got instead.

Welcome experience:
Upon arriving at the check-in lobby, my friends were served iced tea and a hot towel for refreshment. However, we did not receive the same treatment, and were disappointed upon hearing that they had such inconsistent service.

Check-in service:
The villa staff were not prepared to handle the crowd arriving from the ferry. There were manpower shortage issues and check-in was delayed. The fact that there were insufficient seats in the waiting area made waiting very uncomfortable.

Villa:
My friends and I stepped into a dirty and sticky villa floor. It looked like the villa was not prepared for our arrival. There are several maintenance issues; the light in the swimming pool was not working and thus we could not turn it on to swim at night, the water heater was not working as well, several lights were flickering in the living room and washroom, the water ran out from taps and we experienced a blackout during the night. There were also hygiene issues; the pool edge was not clean and as a result we had oil stains on our bodies and our clothing.

Room service:
We asked for a bottle opener several times and nobody attended to us until hours later. They then explained that we could not have the bottle opener and told us that they would have to open all bottles right there and then. Later on, we just made do with opening bottles with a knife or a spoon. We also requested for more bottled drinking water but they told us it was limited. We had planned to use the BBQ pit but were disappointed upon hearing that it was not available for rental that day. The website made no mention of this, and we had to cook our food with the stove and pans instead.

Food:
The food was average and lacking in variety, the quality of the food was mediocre and we expected more given its image.

Staff:
Some staff were very friendly while others were not; service, again, was inconsistent

Check-out:
The check-out was faster than the check-in process. The staff explained the charges patiently and politely.

There were gaps between our stay at the villa and the expected experience Montigo resorts promised on their website as a “paradise on Earth”. We hope to experience it again once the above issues have been addressed.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconsistencies that you have experienced.

I have discussed in detail your feedback with the respective leaders with a view to investigate and fix issues in order to ensure that our service standards are not compromised.

I thank you for sharing your feedback and I seek your indulgence in this occassion. I look forward to your return real soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Excellent service throughout our trip!

The morning pick-up at ferry terminal was prompt and welcome reception at the resort is great. Both cold towels and cold drinks are a nice touch.

All reception staffs were very helpful and eager to serve.

Our villa was awesome and from previous reviews, we read that there were stains in the villa. We found it to be of acceptable standards and appreciate the readily available buggy rides.

On the other hand, we felt that the service at the bar and restaurant can be better. The service staffs somewhat neglected us and food were running up despite having our dinner at 8pm. In addition, we ordered for four persons we were only served one dinner set. The waiting time for our food and drinks took some time; given the number of patrons, we felt this was unacceptable.

The night scene at the bar was not up to our expectations either, perhaps it was due to the new opening of the bar.

We were pretty surprised that most of the villas were overcrowded and they can get very rowdy at night.

Another point of improvement will be placing more clean towels in the villa, providing both bath and pool towels.

In all, we were very satisfied with this resort. In the near future, we hope to see more improvements.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback.

I am happy that you enjoyed your overall stay with us and have shared your feedback with my team.

Please accept my apology for the delay in your food order and rest assured that I will work with our Food & Beverage Leadership to improve upon this and the ambience which you mentioned about.

I have also taken note of the suggestion on the towels.

I look forward to your return to our resort real soon.

Thank you once again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Before going here, I researched and planned the itinerary. I went there for a night stay with my family. We wanted a relaxing luxurious stay. The resort's nearest ferry terminal is Nongsa Ferry terminal which is 5 minutes away from the resort. The resort provides complimentary land transfer to and fro Nongsa ferry terminal. After booking, email them with your confirmation number or confirmation slip to book the complimentary land transfer.

Through research, I realized that the resort provides a complimentary trip to Nagoya Shopping Centre. It is about 45 minutes away from the resort. There are not much activities or shops around the resort; therefore it's great to grab this complimentary transportation. Departs at 10am from resort and picks the guest up at 4pm from the shopping centre. We made a reservation with Spa Secret (located opposite Nagoya shopping centre). There are many spas and massage salons located around the shopping centre. Quite a handful of eateries located in the shopping centre (AnW, JCO, Ayam Penyet Ria, Pizza Hut and more). However, shopping would not be advisable as shops are priced in SG dollars and some are more expensive than what we can get in Singapore.

To catch the free shuttle service and have an early spa, we came to the resort way before check in time. Thankfully, we were given an early check in as our villa was ready. We refreshed ourselves and left our baggage in our villa. The villa is simply awesome. It is still new but there were some stains on floors. We didn't bother about it as the floor was smooth and clean despite the stained look. Most of the equipment and the resort are in white; therefore it may have been difficult to maintain the pure white look. We felt that the pool contained too much of chlorine. Kitchenette was clean and well equipped. We could have cooked small dishes if we brought condiments from home. In-room dining lacked of variety but the food ordered was good. Wii gaming was provided in the resort as well but only one game was given.

The bathtub in the master bedroom was stained but the rest of the toilet amenities were great. Their toiletries were good. They had a very good aroma and it added on to the resort theme. The whole villa was designed in the 'resort' theme. It gave us a relaxing atmosphere. There are 3 toilets and 3 TVs in each villa, which means that you don't have to watch the same thing as the rest or queue for the toilet. The villa has 3 stories, so do prepare yourself to climb up and down. The beds were VERY comfortable and the rooms had a great view. It was awesome to look out at the sun rising or setting. I suggest the hotel should place a mirror in the rooms so it would be easier to dress up instead of visiting the toilet to do so. If someone is using the toilet, the other person may not be able to use the mirrors in the guest room. Rooms have insect repellent as insects tend to easily enter the resort. Try not to place your food in the open. The rooftop terrace was too hot in the morning but excellent in the night. Great for friends to hangout and have drinks.

The resort is big; therefore buggy service may be needed to move from one place to another. We could request for buggy service from the room and they'll arrive outside the villa to bring us around. However, buggy services may be delayed during check-in, check-out and breakfast timing as they experience peak hours. It's advisable to call in earlier if you need a buggy during those hours. We almost waited 20 minutes for the buggy which caused us a delay in reaching our terminal while checking out.

Overall, a night was not enough for us. We had no heart to leave while checking out. 2 nights would have been perfect. The staffs are very polite and patient in handling the guest. They are always smiling and assisting the guest. Even the staffs who attended the calls from the room’s phone were friendly and patient. We were lucky that the second public pool was in operation and they were having sundown party at the pool and bar during the weekends. Email the resort if you have any queries as they are prompt and efficient in replying. Besides the delay in buggy’s arrival, I did not experience any negative feedback from this resort. It was a great stay for the value I paid. Since it’s only 30 minutes away from Tanah Merah terminal, I would say that this paradise is closest to what we have.

PS: Resort is still under construction. You may experience some fall backs, but it didn’t bother us as the service and resort was impeccable for the cash we paid.

Room Tip: We got villa number 60. It was clean and in the middle of the whole resort area. All the villas ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay. I have also noted the challenges for which I apologize and will work to ensure improvements especially on the buggy service availability.

I look forward to your return soon. Thank you .

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Before booking my 2D1N getaway at Montigo, I checked Trip Advisor for reviews and read a few blogs online about people's experiences. There were certainly some mixed reviews online but after my trip, I will definitely come back to Montigo again!

We were greeted by our friendly driver, Faisal at the ferry terminal once we arrived. He was very friendly and approachable. He definitely let us have an excellent first impression of Montigo. Once we reached the resort and alighted, we were greeted with cold towels and welcome drinks - very very nice gesture. As it was still early (we arrived around 10am), we put down our luggages and proceeded to take the shuttle bus to Nagoya Hills shopping mall. The bus was stopped halfway and everyone was wondering why - till a staff member came all the way out just to return a guest their camera which they had left at the lobby. Once we reached the mall, Faisal offered to drive us to a nearby Spa place where we could do massages as a much cheaper price. This was definitely going the extra mile.

We returned back to the resort at about 1pm and checked in immediately. The villa was fantastic! I lowered my expectations of cleanliness because of some reviews on Trip Advisor but to my surprise, the villa was really clean. There were 3 toilets and there was sufficient amenities of the four of us. We could borrow Wii games and movies for free too. Soft drinks and crackers were complimentary. What I also liked was that there was more than sufficient mineral water bottles all around the villa - we did not have to call for more. One problem we had with the villa was the supply of hot water when showering. It seems that they have a limited supply of warm water.

The balcony was overlooking the sea and it was definitely an amazing view. You travel everywhere by the buggy and all the buggy drivers were certainly friendly and accommodating to everyone. We even had a short resort tour by one of the buggy drivers - showing us where's the restaurants, pool, spa and beach. I did not expect turn down service as we were only staying for one night - so that was a nice gesture as well. The comfort level of the beds and pillow was fantastic too!

As there are no convenience store or minimart within the resort, the front desk agent kindly assisted us in arranging a trip to a nearby convenience store where the locals frequent. Our driver was very kind. He waited for us and never once left the mini mart while we did our shopping. That trip costed us around Rp. 150,000.

Breakfast next morning was average. I expected a buffet breakfast spread but we were given a few choices from a menu. We had the American Breakfast which consisted of ham, sausages, potato gratin and eggs. There was also a small fruit platter and yoghurt. You can choose either tea or coffee and a choice of fruit juice. One qualm that we had with breakfast was the jam. The bottle was sealed but when we opened it, it was clearly used. Overall, it was okay. Staff at the Tadd's restaurant were extremely kind and helpful though.

We checked out at 1pm and spent our remaining time by the poolside and Tadd's restaurant before leaving for our ferry. We had an early dinner at Tadd's and I must say that the food was amazing! It was reasonably priced too. I liked my Seafood Fettucine and the Coconut Creme Brûlée with caramelized coconut ring was awesome. The staff at Tadd's was very helpful and accommodating too.

Overall, if I had to rate this experience out of 10, I would give it a 9/10. Service was 10/10 definitely. Everyone we met at Montigo was very nice and would go the extra mile to make you feel at home. From the drivers to the front desk agents to restaurant staff - the service was superb! Thank you for an amazing stay Montigo, we will definitely be back soon!

Room Tip: All the villas are similar in terms of size and facilities. They just differ in terms of view and if...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you for your detailed and kind comments on your experience.

I am truly happy that you had a wonderful time and that our staff have made a difference with their service. I will share your feedback with them especially Faisal.

I have also noted your comment on the jam issue which I have raised with our Executive Chef to investigate as this is not our standard. We will ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again and I hope to be able to see your return real soon.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

Husband and myself check in on Sunday and check out on Monday. Building seems impressive especially with swimming pool in each resort. Like the bed and the tub. It is really spacious. The buggy team are very efficient. However, probably most visitor check out on Sunday, kitchen seem to be under catered. On our first day, I ask for extra chilly belacan which was served along with my husband food. The waitress told me that it was the last serving. The following day during lunch, I ask for butter to go along with bread they served. Again the waitress told me it was kept in the storeroom and it is too far to bring it back to the restaurant. Not sure if I will go back again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us.

Please accept my sincere apologies for this unacceptable experience. I have shared your feedback with our Executive Chef and our F&B leadership to ensure that there is no repetition of such incidences.
Rest assured that this is not our usual standards and the staff have been educated to ensure no repetition of such issues.

I do hope that you indulge us this occassion and return to our resort real soon.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

I went to this resort to stay together with another 5 of my friends for 2D1N. The scenery and the staffs are wonderful. The resort is indeed dirty. Stains can be found on the bath tube, floor and there is lizard, ants and cockroach. However, we understand resort is more to nature so there bound to be insects. The nightmare come the next day when we left the resort. We found lots of red dots on our body. I was sleeping on the sofa bed and I was bitten the worst. My friends that were sleeping on the master bedroom bed was also been bitten. i confirm is bed bugs as i went to seek medical treatment. My both legs, my back of my body was badly bitten. Doctor say need a week to recover. My friends wound even have blister. I really hope that they can maintain their cleaniness. The resort is beautiful but is a nightmare after sleeping there.

• Stayed May 2013
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I have read with great concern on your experience and would like to get in touch with you to obtain more details so that I can conduct a thorough check in this matter.

Would you be kind to get in touch with me at your convenience through our contact number +627787768888.

Please accept my apologies for your negative experience and I look forward to speaking with you.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!