“Our Revisit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
“Our Revisit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

On Boxing Day, Dec 2012, I returned home from Montigo Resorts, Batam, infuriated by a series of horrendous experiences I received while I was holidaying at the resorts. I sat down and wrote one of the worst review I had ever written on my blog and on tripadvisor, titled “When terrible is an understatement”.

Soon after my review was published, I received emails and phone calls from the management of Montigo Resorts. Apologies were made and they had extended an invitation to have me and my family back for a 2D/1N complimentary stay. Seeing that Montigo Resorts was sincere to make amends and had valued me as a guest, I told them I will be back, however I wasn’t ready to return so soon. As I felt it would only be fair if I gave myself time to calibrate, so that when I revisit Montigo Resorts, I would be able to enjoy my stay without prejudice.

Close to half a year went by, and I was able to put the past behind and give Montigo Resorts a second chance to impress me and my family. This time, I chose to return on weekdays, believing that with lower occupancy, there would be no excuses for their service to be compromised.

And I must say, they went out of their ways to accommodate my requests. I had travelled in from Batam Centre Ferry Terminal instead of Nongsa, where the resorts’ land transfer is provided. Montigo Resorts made special arrangement for my family to have land transfer for Batam Centre at no extra cost.

When we arrived, I was rather taken back to see the GM of Montigo Resorts, Mr. Aloysius Michael, himself, making a point to welcome us. Gosh! It made me felt like a rock star!

They had arranged for us to be put up at one of their finest villa, The Spa Villa, where the villa has an extension to a little cabana with fantastic view of the sea-front and the resorts’ spa. The cabana was one of the best places in the villa to chill and unwind. My husband and I spent some quiet time, lounging on the bean bags and listening to the sounds of the night when our children had turned in.

I was very impressed by the little details they put in to delight us – we were given complimentary wine, fruit baskets, cakes and cookies, and even two stuffed toys for my young children. There was also a hand-written welcome card by the GM.

The services that we experienced during our stay this time was phenomenal. Everything was prompt and on time. I called up and asked for a kitchen knife to cut a pineapple I’d brought, I was told they were unable to provide me with a knife, due to some policy. However, they quickly offered to send someone to pick up my pineapple to have it cut up at their kitchen instead. Wow! That was an excellent initiative!

Everywhere that we went, when we mentioned our villa unit (we stayed at #100), we were treated with extra care and the staff seemed to know the profile of us very well. While we were at the ‘unofficially opened’ Kid’s Club, a staff (we never met him before) came along to play with my son and he asked about my daughter (she was playing at the main pool with my helper and husband). Hmm… he must had already ‘done his homework well’. And the same staff drove us back to our villa, knowing exactly which villa we were staying. I suspect, there might even be a picture of me pinned up on their staff notice board, marked “notoriously difficult guest, handle with care!”

Even though, I was disappointed with my last stay, I had enjoyed the spa, so my husband and I took some moments to visit the spa again. To accommodate our trip to the spa, the resort extended our check-out to 3pm, instead of the usual 12pm. We were given the sea-facing hut at the spa, where the sounds of the waves and the birds chirping were so sensual and soothing. The 90-mins session was simply beyond relaxing, it was euphoric!

If my last trip at Montigo Resorts was hell, this trip must be heaven! Everything was near to perfection! Yes. It did feel staged, but at least, they had proven to me that they are capable of providing top-notched services if they want to.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, June 8, 2013
Thank you very much for returning and allowing us to show you the truly hospitality of our staff.

I hope that this will be beginning of many more trips to come and I look forward to welcoming you back for another occassion to rest and unwind at our resort.

Thank you once again and looking forward to seeing your family and you real soon.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Indonesian first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

Gorgeous white-washed villas for a luxurious out-of-this-world getaway experience in Batam. Montigo Resorts truly does well at changing the landscape of Batam. The villas are beautiful and extremely modern. Interesting furniture, indulgent services (such as optional BBQ under the Stars in your own Villa Rooftop Patio) and a to-die-for private pool.

Got the villa at a good price and was able to enjoy an extremely luxurious weekend at great value for money.

The only downside was that food was incredibly expensive (even more so than in Singapore hotels) and the only restaurant open TAAD'S was inflexible. Breakfast was alright but could be better.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
I am delighted that you were able to enjoy a good break with us.

I wish to thank you for your kind comments on our villa and our services.

On the same note, I have noted your comments on our food pricing and rest assured that I will look into this with our Chef.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to your return real soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The place is first of all gorgeous. Modern, lush, and relaxing. The private pool is a great treat, no reason to go to the beach and there was a mini kitchen area where we cooked dinner, with almost all the basic utensils that you need provided. The beds were comfortable and the toilets very clean with really nice toiletries provided.

The staff are very polite and accommodating and for Batam island, which is usually known for being seedy. This is one place to just escape it all.

The room service for food was good, but slightly pricey. But I guess this is expected. The desserts, Coconut creme brulee and sago melaka was amazing. The fried rice and chicken wings that we ordered however was nothing to scream about. Similarly, so was the breakfast buffet, the food tasted like it had been sitting there for a while. The pastries were slightly tasteless. I think I have been to other resorts for cheaper which had a better breakfast spread.
Either way, the best thing to do is to stock up on food as there are no eateries nearby. Also, the buggy service was not too bad, but was really late when we needed it the most.

If you need a weekend where all you plan to do is float in the pool and just in general not move much. This is an amazing place to break away from reality.

Also, I think one villa holds 5 people, there was some dispute for an additional person staying that cost us another SGD$100 more. Which in the end I thought was reasonable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
I am grateful for sharing your experience with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay and our services with us. I am thankful for your comments on our food and buggy service which we will strive to improve upon.

I sincerely look forward to your return in the near future.

Thank you once again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

A fantastic getaway for a long weekend! It's so close to Singapore (30 minute ferry ride) but you can even see the Singapore skyline in the distance! We travelled to Montigo with fiends and wash perfect place for kids! The private pools are wonderful and the sunset each evening is just incredible! We stayed in a beachfront villa which had uninterrupted views of the sunset.

Room Tip: The beachfront villas are best
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us

My team and I look forward to your return real soon.

Thank you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Took a ferry from Tanah Merah Ferry Terminal to Nongsa Ferry Terminal. There was a shuttle bus from the ferry terminal to the resorts. Check in was smooth, was told to wait while our room was still not ready. When it was ready, there was a buggy to bring us to our room cos it was far away from the lobby. The villa was awesome! Sufficient toilets for 4 people. Master bedroom was huge! There was an electronic stove and utensils for cooking which we fully utilized. Didn't spend time at the pool near the restaurant cos each villa had it's own pool which we spend most of our time at. Restaurant - Breakfast was average. Dinner was average but we liked the nasi padang! Cleanliness was average. There was ants crawling around the stove and the toilet when we arrived. Would come again if I need a short getaway.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us especially the pool in our villa and our nasi padang!

I have also taken note on the areas of concern like the ants and cleanliness and rest assured that I will work with our housekeeping leadership to ensure improvements in this area. I have also shared your comments on the food with our Executive Chef.

I am happy that you will be coming back and I look forward to welcoming you back real soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Didn't feel like we were in Batam.

Service - Overall, warm & polite service from staff. Except that we waited a tad too long for the villa after check-in, and the buggy service could be improved. Called 3 times & waited almost 30 minutes for pick-up to breakfast room and called 2 times waited 15 minutes for pick-up to reception for check-out.
Value - The villa have 2 rooms, sharing with friends would be ideal.
Location - Transfer from ferry port is provided, less than 10 minutes drive.
Rooms - Beautiful!
Restaurant - In-villa BBQ was nice but not value for money. Breakfast spread can be improved, need wider selections.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your valued comments.

I have shared the improvements you have suggested with my team so that we can continously look into improving our service standards at our resort. We are also focusing on training so that our staff would be able to deliver service standards that exceed our guests' expectation.

I hope that our team and I would have another opportunity to serve you in our resort in the very near future.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

I visited Montigo with my boyfriend. Checked-in was so slow. The front desk didn't inform us about the facilities in Montigo. After checking-in the driver took us to our villa. The villa was big and had a pool. But the sofa was so dirty. The cutleries also dirty. We liked the master bedroom. It's large.

Lunch time, we decided to have lunch in tadds. Lack of variaties of the food. Very tasteless. But we like the bread. The restaurant was large. It's near the pool and the beach, very nice view. We liked the beverage we ordered, cocogo was the best.

Dinner we ate at Pantai. Alot of variaties of food. The waiter recomended us to have seafood noodle and the fish with nyonya sauce. He said that those are very nice and the fish with nyonya sauce is the chef specialty. He also said that the fish with nyonya sauce is the icon of the pantai restaurant. Just like Merlion and singapore. He is so funny and very cheerful. He is right. The food he recomended were yummy. Me and my boyfriend liked very much.
But the restaurant was dark outside.

Overall, the hotel must be improved.

• Stayed June 2012
I have read with concern on your experience with your arrival and rest assured that I will work with our Front Office Leadership to ensure that we look into these lapses. I have also shared your feedback on our all day dining restaurant with our Chef for the same purpose.

On the same note, I am happy that you enjoyed your experience at our seafood restaurant, Pantai.

I hope that you will indulge this occassion on our lapses and return soon to our resort to see our improvements and the new services that we are set to launch shortly..

Thank you very much.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!