“Lacks finishing touches to be a truly 5 star property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Lacks finishing touches to be a truly 5 star property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in a beachfront villa - this was a joke as the property does not have a beach right now (something they didn't tell us when we made our booking)! The villas were nice though could have been cleaner (I found strands of hair on the couch when we walked into the villa). Now for the good part - the pool is fabulous, as is the roof top where you can have a nice BBQ. We went as a couple and didn't end up using the 2nd bedroom but it was still worth it. Breakfast is great with a good spread on weekdays and Saturday - Sunday it turns into a buffet to cater to the horde of Singaporeans descending for a weekend break. Food at Pantai was fantastic too. As an additional plus we had free wifi and villas come with Wii consoles for an added distraction. Beachfront villas have beautiful sunset views and its lovely to have dinner on the table near the pool while watching the sun go down. Staff are great and couldn't be more helpful. Avoid Sundays if possible to get a more personal experience when the resort is less crowded. Worth a visit, but I'll wait till the beach and the rest of it is done before visiting again.

• Stayed April 2013
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
My appreciation for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I must apologize for the lapses especially on the cleanliness and have shared this with our operational leaders with a view on improvement.

However, I also noted that you enjoyed the remaining services that we offer and the villa. We are nearing the completion of our beach club which is going to be very exciting and I hope that you will be back soon to experience this new addition to our resort.

Thank you once again and I look forward to your return.

269 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I stayed in Montigo late March this year with 2 of my girlfriends. The room we had was 'Wow' you have to stay here to experience it. As the place is still on renovation, so of course you will find insects accompanying you in the evening especially at pool area. However, you need not have to worry as the room is well equipped with insect repelent & lotion.
We did not opt for Private BBQ dinner instead we ordered room service. I had a burger which was delicious my girlfriends ordered nasi goreng which was 'ok' and the parmesan fries nothing near it!
We had American set for breakfast, I cant comment much on breakfast as the restaurant was not fully open i guess because only set breakfast were offered.
The buggy service could be more effective, we have to wait alomost 15mins to be picked up from breakfast place to our room.
Overall the room,location,food are excellent! I will return for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments on our resort. I am glad that you enjoyed our villa and our food.

I would also like to apologize for our lapses like the delayed buggy pick up service and rest assured that I will work with our operational leaders to improve on this.

I look forward to your return real soon.

Thank you once again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm still staying at Montigo Resorts, Nongsa as I'm writing this review. Many turn of events that prompt me to write this now.

1) Late pickup from airport - Had to wait for close to 15 mins before our chauffeur arrives.
2) Check In - was told we will be charged in Rupiah when paying by card, even though our booking confirmation stated the full amount we had to pay in SGD. This will result in us paying abt 4-5% more due to credit card fees and exchange conversion.
Typically when u book online. They will show u 2 rates: SGD/IDR. Whatever rate u see, will be the final rate you pay in that currency.
Upon check-in, the IDR rate they charged resulted in us paying more than our initial SGD rate. Reasoned out with them and there was nothing they could do. Only said it is the credit card policy.

3) Waiting for room - Had to wait 2.5 hours for our room. We arrived at the hotel abt 12pm. They said our room's previous guest just checked out and they will try to expedite the cleaning, whilst we have our lunch at the restaurant. 2.5 hrs later and 2 times of us calling the reception to check, our room was FINALLY ready. I wonder how long it will take if they had not expedite the cleaning of our room.

4) Room cleanliness - Floor obviously not mopped. Can see stains on the living room floor. Toilet bowl had stains. Given that this villa is barely a year old, it's shocking to see wear and tear throughout the hotel premises. White sofa has stains, could tell most of the furnishings were of low quality. It rained several times during our stay and water could seep in through the wall gaps and windows, toilet ceiling as well.

5) Food - Only 1 restaurant within the villa. Menu selection is little as well. Worst thing of all, the in room dining selection is just a smaller extension from the restaurant. Total lack of variety. It is only our 1st day here and I'm already sick of the food here. Doesn't help that their in villa BBQ is super pricey and they charge $100 for a one-time setup fee.
We ordered a beef rending and chicken curry and portion was horrendously small. Only 3 pieces each, and cost us almost SGD$30 each.

6) Buffet Breakfast - ONLY AVAILABLE IF THERE'S HIGH OCCUPANCY! What rubbish! First time I hear of this clause. Best of all, this was not made known upon booking nor check in. We were still informed that breakfast will be served from 6-10am. We purposely woke up earlier cos of rave reviews we heard abt their Bfast, only to be told we can only select from 1 out of their 4 breakfast menu. Serving was small and definitely feel cheated having paid the same amount. Called for the Manager and he allowed for us to order whatever we want from the menu. However, we din feel the sincerity and any form of apologies from the hotel and staff. No prompt top up of coffee and juices, despite an almost empty restaurant. I even had to get my own juice from the counter (even though it was not a buffet).

7) Insects! Loads of them! Huge flying ants that is attracted to the light at night, and tend to drop their wings off. Woke up on our last day after a heavy rain at night to find a whole stairway and floor full of insect wings ! Gross !

Overall really disappointing 1st day. Not exactly looking fwd to meal times cos of the lousy selection. Breakfast was something I initially looked fwd to cos of the lousy in room dining. But now, not anymore.

Would I recommend this place? Nope, only if you have no where else to go nearby.

• Stayed April 2013
My sincere apologies for being unable to deliver a level of service that is acceptable.

I would like to speak with you to garner more details so that I can work on improvements for any lapses that we may have.

Could I trouble you to call me, at your convenience, through +627787768888.

I look forward to speaking you. Once again, please accept my apologies.

Batam, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Staff is very helpful
Unit 58 is a good villa for us even when c/in the aircond is not cold in small room on 2nd floor. The villa is a big villa for 4 pax ! Beware of ant,,,,,,near the microwave and table near swimming pool area !!!! NO Liquid soap and sponge for cleaning the kitchen utensil........
Swimming Pool area need to clean and change the water
Breakfast is okay but the staff (waiter & waitress) need concentrate and focus on their guest, not making a small group for chit-chat......!!!

Last not but least,,,,,panorama from the Roof Top is a Plus from this resort....

For Local People Like me,,,,,,bring snack and food for kids is a must because the hotel food is expensive and the hotel location is appr. 20km from Nagoya (Town)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to live up to your expectations.

I have shared your feedback with our operational leaders in order for us to work on improving our service standards.

I hope that you will indulge us this occassion and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The resort was new-ish when we were there last November so their restaurants weren't opened yet. Neither was the beach front ready. The resort is isolated thus no other establishment is nearby - this meant that we had to bring in food or eat at the only cafe that was open at the resort.

Anyway, property is fairly well kept and the villas are clean and comfortable. View from the roof top is amazing! The rooms are air-conditioned and has the standard stuff like hairdryer, toiletries etc. The master bedroom is big and has a huge bathroom that comes with a tub and standalone shower stall. The other bedroom was comparatively small and cosy with a smaller bathroom (without tub).

The corridors were non air-conditioned and we've had some insects come join our party. On one night when we left the balcony door opened, a tiny bat flew in to say hi too! It's not too bad.

Oh there's also a pool in the villa just at the balcony. We didn't use the pool as it rained and the water didnt look clean. There were workers that came by the pool from the outside early in the morning as well - this didnt make us feel safe using the pool as well. But this shouldnt be a problem once the resort is ready for their official opening.

All in all a nice property in Batam, a really good addition to the hotels they have on the island that is not really even near 4-star standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have also taken note of the inconveniences like the insects and the bat and have shared this our Executive Housekeeper and will work with him to ensure improvements so that our guests have an uninterrupted and enjoyable stay with us.

My team and I look forward to your return soon.

singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

One of the best relaxing trip I had in recent years, the resort/services itself is magnificent, and what you see in the pictures are pretty much what you get - for once!

After a short transfer from the Nongsa ferry terminal, you arrived at Montigo's hotel lobby that is perched on top of a hill overlooking the sea and part of the resort. It was an amazing sight to behold. It probably helped that we arrived on an early weekday morning, as such there were no other guests in view, and the whole place was very peaceful and serene, with the staff giving us their sole focus and attention.

We got ourselves a Spa Villa, so we were the very first row of villas facing the beach. The spa villas had a little hut/cabana leading down from the private pool, which is a perfect sanctuary for 2 for a quiet time just gazing out into the horizon. The entire villa was well-sized and stocked - complimentary soft-drinks, wifi, cable TV, cooking area/utensils. No major complains!

Which comes about my following point of keeping your own expectations in-check.
Prior to booking this trip, I did a read of 1/2 of the Montigo reviews posted on Trip Advisor. The common poor comments about Montigo were - stained sofas/beds, dirty/uncleaned spots in the rooms/toilets, pool filled with leaves, noisy construction on the 2nd phase of resort. no activities (i.e. water sports, beach, gym), many insects, slow service.

Hence, we came (mentally)prepared.

- Upon entering the villa, we did a quick check on the cleanliness of the villa/furniture, and usability of the electronics/lights/aircon - which were in 95/100 faultless condition.
- We brought some movies/games along
- We stayed a distance from the construction area, as such, we were not affected by the on-going construction at all.
- Insects were easily dealt with insecticide sprays/creams, though there were a lot of ants.
- Slow service, especially so during the peak weakend periods, can be negated with planning, so plan ahead if you need a buggy ride or that bucket of ice as it could take 2-3 calls for them to get your order through.

Overall, we had a nice balance trip of activities and relaxation when we included a round of golf, a trip out to Nagoya shopping city, and Montigo's spa. The staff were all very warm and friendly, and always willing to go that extra mile to assist you.

Two thumbs up to Montigo from me and we will definitely be back sooner than later!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 96 which was pretty much in the centre of the resort. We could walk to the restau...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I am delighted to know that you had a relaxing stay and our staff were able to assist you in making your stay a an enjoyable one.

We are continuously looking towards hearing our guests' feedback so that we can look into improving our service standards in order to be able to exceed our guests' expectation.

I look forward to your return in the very near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just came back from a weekend getaway to celebrate a birthday and wedding anniversary with friends. Room was originally booked for 4 pax but we had a last minute addition to the group, totalling to 5pax. We were FORCED to pay an additional S$100 for the additional pax which i found very unreasonable because we had not asked/used any additional facilities.

We were told that the additional fee for the extra person was to cater for extra bed, guest amenities and breakfast, HOWEVER, we had NONE of the mentioned. There was no extra bed nor bathroom amenities for the additional pax, neither did we consume extra breakfast. Everything that we had used/consumed was only meant for 4pax!

Tried to reason with the Front Desk but they were insistent that this is their hotel policy. Being a hotelier myself, I find this ridiculous! Guests should have been given the option of paying for additional items upon consumption instead of the charges forced upon unwillingly. We were made to feel like we were there to cheat the hotel for having an additional guest BUT in actual fact, it was the other way. So in general, we had been made to pay the additional amount just to step on the property of Montigo, breathe in their air and a breakfast which was not consumed!

The management should really looked into their policies and exercise flexibility when situations call for it but your harsh executing of the policy and inflexibility was really uncalled for. Not every group of guests are there to cheat you!

Would I stay with Montigo again? - Never again after this experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I apologize for the unpleasant that you have experienced during your stay with us.

I am keen to speak with you for more details and I will be grateful if you could spare some time to speak with me through +627787768888.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!