“Overrated villa - lousy food selection, prices and insects galore!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
“Overrated villa - lousy food selection, prices and insects galore!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

I'm still staying at Montigo Resorts, Nongsa as I'm writing this review. Many turn of events that prompt me to write this now.

1) Late pickup from airport - Had to wait for close to 15 mins before our chauffeur arrives.
2) Check In - was told we will be charged in Rupiah when paying by card, even though our booking confirmation stated the full amount we had to pay in SGD. This will result in us paying abt 4-5% more due to credit card fees and exchange conversion.
Typically when u book online. They will show u 2 rates: SGD/IDR. Whatever rate u see, will be the final rate you pay in that currency.
Upon check-in, the IDR rate they charged resulted in us paying more than our initial SGD rate. Reasoned out with them and there was nothing they could do. Only said it is the credit card policy.

3) Waiting for room - Had to wait 2.5 hours for our room. We arrived at the hotel abt 12pm. They said our room's previous guest just checked out and they will try to expedite the cleaning, whilst we have our lunch at the restaurant. 2.5 hrs later and 2 times of us calling the reception to check, our room was FINALLY ready. I wonder how long it will take if they had not expedite the cleaning of our room.

4) Room cleanliness - Floor obviously not mopped. Can see stains on the living room floor. Toilet bowl had stains. Given that this villa is barely a year old, it's shocking to see wear and tear throughout the hotel premises. White sofa has stains, could tell most of the furnishings were of low quality. It rained several times during our stay and water could seep in through the wall gaps and windows, toilet ceiling as well.

5) Food - Only 1 restaurant within the villa. Menu selection is little as well. Worst thing of all, the in room dining selection is just a smaller extension from the restaurant. Total lack of variety. It is only our 1st day here and I'm already sick of the food here. Doesn't help that their in villa BBQ is super pricey and they charge $100 for a one-time setup fee.
We ordered a beef rending and chicken curry and portion was horrendously small. Only 3 pieces each, and cost us almost SGD$30 each.

6) Buffet Breakfast - ONLY AVAILABLE IF THERE'S HIGH OCCUPANCY! What rubbish! First time I hear of this clause. Best of all, this was not made known upon booking nor check in. We were still informed that breakfast will be served from 6-10am. We purposely woke up earlier cos of rave reviews we heard abt their Bfast, only to be told we can only select from 1 out of their 4 breakfast menu. Serving was small and definitely feel cheated having paid the same amount. Called for the Manager and he allowed for us to order whatever we want from the menu. However, we din feel the sincerity and any form of apologies from the hotel and staff. No prompt top up of coffee and juices, despite an almost empty restaurant. I even had to get my own juice from the counter (even though it was not a buffet).

7) Insects! Loads of them! Huge flying ants that is attracted to the light at night, and tend to drop their wings off. Woke up on our last day after a heavy rain at night to find a whole stairway and floor full of insect wings ! Gross !

Overall really disappointing 1st day. Not exactly looking fwd to meal times cos of the lousy selection. Breakfast was something I initially looked fwd to cos of the lousy in room dining. But now, not anymore.

Would I recommend this place? Nope, only if you have no where else to go nearby.

• Stayed April 2013
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
My sincere apologies for being unable to deliver a level of service that is acceptable.

I would like to speak with you to garner more details so that I can work on improvements for any lapses that we may have.

Could I trouble you to call me, at your convenience, through +627787768888.

I look forward to speaking you. Once again, please accept my apologies.

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
Batam, Indonesia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Staff is very helpful
Unit 58 is a good villa for us even when c/in the aircond is not cold in small room on 2nd floor. The villa is a big villa for 4 pax ! Beware of ant,,,,,,near the microwave and table near swimming pool area !!!! NO Liquid soap and sponge for cleaning the kitchen utensil........
Swimming Pool area need to clean and change the water
Breakfast is okay but the staff (waiter & waitress) need concentrate and focus on their guest, not making a small group for chit-chat......!!!

Last not but least,,,,,panorama from the Roof Top is a Plus from this resort....

For Local People Like me,,,,,,bring snack and food for kids is a must because the hotel food is expensive and the hotel location is appr. 20km from Nagoya (Town)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my sincere apologies for not being able to live up to your expectations.

I have shared your feedback with our operational leaders in order for us to work on improving our service standards.

I hope that you will indulge us this occassion and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

The resort was new-ish when we were there last November so their restaurants weren't opened yet. Neither was the beach front ready. The resort is isolated thus no other establishment is nearby - this meant that we had to bring in food or eat at the only cafe that was open at the resort.

Anyway, property is fairly well kept and the villas are clean and comfortable. View from the roof top is amazing! The rooms are air-conditioned and has the standard stuff like hairdryer, toiletries etc. The master bedroom is big and has a huge bathroom that comes with a tub and standalone shower stall. The other bedroom was comparatively small and cosy with a smaller bathroom (without tub).

The corridors were non air-conditioned and we've had some insects come join our party. On one night when we left the balcony door opened, a tiny bat flew in to say hi too! It's not too bad.

Oh there's also a pool in the villa just at the balcony. We didn't use the pool as it rained and the water didnt look clean. There were workers that came by the pool from the outside early in the morning as well - this didnt make us feel safe using the pool as well. But this shouldnt be a problem once the resort is ready for their official opening.

All in all a nice property in Batam, a really good addition to the hotels they have on the island that is not really even near 4-star standard.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I have also taken note of the inconveniences like the insects and the bat and have shared this our Executive Housekeeper and will work with him to ensure improvements so that our guests have an uninterrupted and enjoyable stay with us.

My team and I look forward to your return soon.

singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

One of the best relaxing trip I had in recent years, the resort/services itself is magnificent, and what you see in the pictures are pretty much what you get - for once!

After a short transfer from the Nongsa ferry terminal, you arrived at Montigo's hotel lobby that is perched on top of a hill overlooking the sea and part of the resort. It was an amazing sight to behold. It probably helped that we arrived on an early weekday morning, as such there were no other guests in view, and the whole place was very peaceful and serene, with the staff giving us their sole focus and attention.

We got ourselves a Spa Villa, so we were the very first row of villas facing the beach. The spa villas had a little hut/cabana leading down from the private pool, which is a perfect sanctuary for 2 for a quiet time just gazing out into the horizon. The entire villa was well-sized and stocked - complimentary soft-drinks, wifi, cable TV, cooking area/utensils. No major complains!

Which comes about my following point of keeping your own expectations in-check.
Prior to booking this trip, I did a read of 1/2 of the Montigo reviews posted on Trip Advisor. The common poor comments about Montigo were - stained sofas/beds, dirty/uncleaned spots in the rooms/toilets, pool filled with leaves, noisy construction on the 2nd phase of resort. no activities (i.e. water sports, beach, gym), many insects, slow service.

Hence, we came (mentally)prepared.

- Upon entering the villa, we did a quick check on the cleanliness of the villa/furniture, and usability of the electronics/lights/aircon - which were in 95/100 faultless condition.
- We brought some movies/games along
- We stayed a distance from the construction area, as such, we were not affected by the on-going construction at all.
- Insects were easily dealt with insecticide sprays/creams, though there were a lot of ants.
- Slow service, especially so during the peak weakend periods, can be negated with planning, so plan ahead if you need a buggy ride or that bucket of ice as it could take 2-3 calls for them to get your order through.

Overall, we had a nice balance trip of activities and relaxation when we included a round of golf, a trip out to Nagoya shopping city, and Montigo's spa. The staff were all very warm and friendly, and always willing to go that extra mile to assist you.

Two thumbs up to Montigo from me and we will definitely be back sooner than later!

Room Tip: We stayed in Villa 96 which was pretty much in the centre of the resort. We could walk to the restau...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I am delighted to know that you had a relaxing stay and our staff were able to assist you in making your stay a an enjoyable one.

We are continuously looking towards hearing our guests' feedback so that we can look into improving our service standards in order to be able to exceed our guests' expectation.

I look forward to your return in the very near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just came back from a weekend getaway to celebrate a birthday and wedding anniversary with friends. Room was originally booked for 4 pax but we had a last minute addition to the group, totalling to 5pax. We were FORCED to pay an additional S$100 for the additional pax which i found very unreasonable because we had not asked/used any additional facilities.

We were told that the additional fee for the extra person was to cater for extra bed, guest amenities and breakfast, HOWEVER, we had NONE of the mentioned. There was no extra bed nor bathroom amenities for the additional pax, neither did we consume extra breakfast. Everything that we had used/consumed was only meant for 4pax!

Tried to reason with the Front Desk but they were insistent that this is their hotel policy. Being a hotelier myself, I find this ridiculous! Guests should have been given the option of paying for additional items upon consumption instead of the charges forced upon unwillingly. We were made to feel like we were there to cheat the hotel for having an additional guest BUT in actual fact, it was the other way. So in general, we had been made to pay the additional amount just to step on the property of Montigo, breathe in their air and a breakfast which was not consumed!

The management should really looked into their policies and exercise flexibility when situations call for it but your harsh executing of the policy and inflexibility was really uncalled for. Not every group of guests are there to cheat you!

Would I stay with Montigo again? - Never again after this experience

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
I apologize for the unpleasant that you have experienced during your stay with us.

I am keen to speak with you for more details and I will be grateful if you could spare some time to speak with me through +627787768888.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

What an amazing place. Just what Batam needed to compete with the overpriced and complacency of nearby Bintan Resorts.

The villas are beautifully decorated, fully equipped with all mod cons. If you want a quick and easy luxury get away from Singapore then this is the place for you. You could easily spend an entire weekend just relaxing in the Villa with it’s private pool and roof top sun deck.

All the staff were exteemly helpful and friendly, nothing was too much trouble.

The main restaurant served quality food all day and at reasonable prices. 3 courses for 2 people with soft drinks came to around 50SGD. They also had a gret kids menu.
Nasi Goreng was outstanding as was the ceaser salad

It’s early days for Montigo and the resort is not fuly open yet. There is construction continuing on the 2nd half of the resort so some people may have some complaints about that, but it didn’t affect our stay at all as it is quite self contained at the other end of the site.

The kids play centre is fantastic with lots of different things to keep the little ones entertained. The staff were again very friendly and engaged the kids throughout.

This place is already excellent but still has some opportunities for improvement. If they can iron out these snags then they will take it to the next level:

*when we arrived at the ferry terminal there was no one obvious there from Montigo to greet us. We eventually found the representative but it would help if they had Montigo clearly on their uniform and were holding up a sign

*There were no sun loungers or outdoor furniture next to the Villa Pool. It would be nice just to have a couple of comfy sun beds.

*Upon check in, the receptionist told us that there were a selection of Nintendo Wii games available. Our daughter was very excited about this. But we tried a few times during the weekend to get some games but they were all unavailable. Maybe a system where guests keep the games for a max of 24hrs and a waiting list for specific games would help satisfied more guests.

*the only glasses in the villa were wine glasses, it would be good to have some tumbler type glasses for drinks

· The resort would benefit from having an onsite grocery store to pick up some basic ingredients. There is a fantastic kitchen in the Villa but unless you head out of the resort to pick up provisions, you will not be able to use it

· Having the pool in the villa was amazing but we got the feeling that it wasn’t cleaned as often as it should be. If you build a resort with a 100+ villas with a 100+ pools, you need to have a cleaning and maintenance programme in place to support it.

Room Tip: we paid extra for the Spa Villa, but as every villa onsite has exactly the same layout, we would rec...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind comments.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff were able to make your stay a memorable one.

I have also taken note of your suggested improvements some of which like the signage for arrivals are already being worked on. Feedback from our guests such as yours, always helps us in our continuous pursuit to provide quality service to exceed the expectations of our guests.

I look forward to your return to our resort real soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

Everything was simply nice and peaceful thru out our 2 days 1 night stay there, from the transfer to the check-in and food with lots of fantastic service in-house. We had a perfect trip planned so as we thought, checking out at 11am before heading to the ferry terminal to confirm our tickets for ferry back to Singapore since it was our 1st time to Batam and we did not want to take chances just in case. Since our scheduled ferry back was supposed to be in the evening, we thought we could settle for a massage before we leave Batam. And so we arranged for the massage place to send their driver to the ferry terminal to pick us instead. To our horror, the poor chap came and was stopped by some people at the terminal. We did not understand what they were saying other than hearing "Montigo... Montigo..".They pulled him to one side to speak, making matter worse a car pulled over while the saga was still going on. A few men alighted and pushed the driver, one of them slapped him in the face and this man was wearing a "Montigo Resort" Polo Tee. After some pushing and pulling the driver around, they chased him away leaving us standing at the ferry terminal. And the group of men who came in the car that pulled over actually asked if we wanted to go back to Montigo Resort! Gosh! Anyone would have been totally freaked out after having such an experience with such a bunch of hooligans! We left in the next ferry back to Singapore.

Room Tip: we had a hilltop room, view was good.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I regret to hear that this has happened to you. We have taken immediate action to investigate the situation and have discovered that the person in the t-shirt with our resort logo is an employee of a local taxi company which serves the area of Nongsa. We are unaware that they had put our logo on their uniform and they have no authorization to use our logo in any way. This incident has been referred to the local police for their action.

Again, I profoundly regret that you have encountered this unpleasant experience. I wish to thank you for raising this matter so that we can take prompt action and be able to do our utmost to deliver our service commitments to our guests. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!