“Relaxation at its best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
smiley811
“Relaxation at its best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

I booked the hilltop villa during their promotional period. A 3D2N stay only costs me around S$660 and I must say it was very well-spent.

Albeit nothing much to do in the villa itself (cos it's still undergoing construction), my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

We kept ourselves occupied with the free WiFi access and the Wii games. Private pool allows us to dip into it as and when we feel like it. Cans of soft drinks and mineral water were all complimentary and we absolutely laze around in the villa, relaxing.

When doing nothing gets a bit too boring, we took their complimentary shuttle out to town for shopping. I thought I would have to squeeze with others in a mini bus but no I was wrong. A Toyato Wish came and the journey was very smooth and comfortable.

Note: The complimentary shuttle is only available at 10am daily and if you wanna take their complimentary shuttle back to hotel, you will have to wait till 4pm. If you think 6 hours of shopping is too long, that's when you are wrong.

Considering the time taken to reach the shopping area, you have only about 5 hours left to shop. If you want some cheap massage, that's another 90 minutes gone. So theoretically speaking, you are only left with 3.5 hours to shop and eat.

Anyway, back to the resort. Below are the pros and cons in our opinion.

Pros:
(1) Extremely friendly staff.
All of them have a smile on their faces. When we took a morning walk down to the restaurant and back to our villa, we encountered many staff on bungy. All of them greeted us when they drove past us. We said like at least 10x of 'good morning' in one morning. Lovely!

(2) Extremely helpful staff.
In continuation of the above point, the staff in bungy always offer to give us a ride to our destination for which we kindly decline. The resort is big but it's not tough to walk around actually. A walk from the lobby to the restaurant takes about 20 minutes. My husband and I prefer to walk and enjoy the scenery.

(3) Food
DELICIOUS! It's on the high side but what do you expect ya... it's a resort!

(4) Villa pool
Love it to bits. I consider the pool to be very clean but the handles where we used to pull ourselves up from the pool needs re-constuction. It's way too low. I couldn't possibly lift myself up from the pool. My husband would have to give me a push from behind.

(5) Indoor entertainment
There's Wii, free WiFi, DVDs, many different channels on TV, you will never be bored.

Cons:
(1) Bed and pillow way too soft for me.

(2) Montigo resort is supposed to be new but unfortunately, many things inside the villa are in bad shape. The sofa in the living room is no longer white. The mirror in our bedroom is cracked. The seats at the roof terrace are all turning yellowish brown.

Note: If you find the massage service rendered by Montigo is too expensive, head down to the shopping malls outside. I had a 90 minutes full body massage for IRD 70,000. That's less than S$10 and it was shiok (meaning extremely good).

I would definitely bring my kids over the next time, when there's another promotion. :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
I am truly delighted that your husband and you had a very relaxing stay with us.

I am happy that our staff were friendly and offered assistance and you enjoyed our food and our pool amongst others.

I have also taken note of the suggestions for improvements which I will work together with my team on I am confident that you will see the improvements on your next visit.

I look forward to your return visit soon.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

It's a very clean and relaxed place with nice staff and pretty tasty food- but they should get a bigger boat. They should also have activities for example........ Electric scooter and electric bikes.... Ziplines And a bar otherwise montigo resorts is awesome

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.

I am working with our development team to ensure that our services like our TIIGO Bar will come online at the earliest opportunity. Though we offer recreational activities like Cycling, Kampong Trail, Fishing etc currently, we are also working with our team to work on more offerings in the very near future.

I am confident that you will be delighted to see the changes upon your next visit in the very near future.

Looking foward to welcoming you back.

VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Pro: We had a great get away. The site is gorgeous. The villas is huge. The private pools are fun. The spa is well laid out and the massage was fantastic. Spa has a small library you can borrow from. Front desk has some DVDs too. The villa has Wii to keep the younger ones occupied. The place is 5 min drive from the ferry terminal. Beds were clean and comfortable. The roof top terrace of each villa has phenomenal views.

Con: The service is super slow (so I ordered ice and I am back home and still no ice !). That said the service folks are friendly and the cook even rustled up a special veggie dish for us.
There is construction going on on both sides of the property so make sure you ask for a room where you are not looking at the construction. Also being surrounded by greenery etc there are some ants around only on the ground floor but not enough to be a nuisance. The fridge could be more cold. The bathroom door can creak very loudly. If you are taking kids remember to take pool toys because they don't have any. The roof top sitting mats were all wet and so even on a sunny day we had to wait very long to be able to use them. The steps inside get rain water and so be super careful as to not slip.

Bottom line: As the title said, the place is a work in progress. Once the kids club and the new beach club opens it is going to be a fantastic place. Hopefully the service speed will also be faster by then. Overall I would recommend it provided you are not super fussy.

Room Tip: Choose a room close to the main pool so it is easy to go down and also close to the main restaurant...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind comments on our resort and our friendly staff.

I truly apologize for the lapses you have highlighted and rest assured that I will work with my team to ensure an improvement in our service standards.

I look forward to your return especially for your kids to enjoy our new Kids Club and its related activities.

Thank you once again.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

To be frank after reading the earlier reviews, I am quite hesitant about this trip. A coin have 2 sides so just take all reviews with a pinch of salt.

We spent our holiday celebrating CNY eve over there and I expected it to be crowded but thankfully there wasn't alot of people. The crowd started coming in on CNY Day 1 onwards. That makes a difference as the staffs are able to give a better attention when the crowd is not around. Thus the resort needs to take note how to handle the crowd during peak season.

Like what others said, the place is beautiful and at a closer look there were dirts and some furnishings are not in good condition. The place is huge and maintenance is quite a challenge here. The things i experienced
1) Master bedroom aircon - off and on by itself. Good thing there was a fan
2) Ants in the Master bedroom
3) Stains on the white sofa.
4) The kitchen floor was "flooded" as the rain had seeped in from the outside. (How did this even happen?)
5) Room was dusty (my hubby had sensitive nose) and i guess it was dusty because no one stayed in the villa for awhile until we came in.

The good things about the trip
> Excellent customer service. I have to say we are very well taken care of. Recep Staff is doing a good job and we also ordered a in villa BBQ. Pricey but the service was good.

Regards to the stained furnishings reported by others, other than the poor maintenance by the resort, i felt that as guest using the place should take good care of things too. If we have dirtied the sofa example, we should at least do some minimum cleaning up and not just let the stain sit and making it harder for the resort to clean afterwards. Just my 2 cents of worth.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your kind feedback.

I have taken note of the issues that you have highlighted and have discussed this with our operational leadership with a view to improve on our service standards.

I wish to also thank you for your kind comments on our staff and our service.

We look forward to your return soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I'm writing this review while waiting for lunch to be delivered to our villa#37. Ordered mee goreng and spring rolls, at a mark up of the restaurant menu price.

It is raining. It has been raining since breakfast, which we had in the restaurant (breakfast in the villa is chargeable)
It is very cool, and we have been lounging in the spacious living area/ balcony facing the calm horizon, with singapore's identifiable skyline in the distance.

We enjoyed our room service lunch on the half flooded balcony. In the noon light now, I can clearly see that even though this hotel is new (now in prelaunch), the floor tiles are stained and the white seat covers equally not pristine. The white bath towels we rolled out over the sofa last night appear unevenly soiled and greyed, even though they smell laundered.

Yesterday, we arrived at 5pm, after waiting more than half hour at the terminal after clearing customs. we had to wait for all 26 guests to clear customs and assemble before we were herded up a mini bus. Took us but a10min ride to the resort grounds. Check in was swift. But we would have been less sulky if we were driven in in smaller vehicles, so that we didn't have to feel like we were hindered as if in a tour group. So that we would feel the resort's bold "luxury" claim and pricing from the start.

The rows of mediterranean styled three storey villas look impressive From any angle. It's very spacious for a couple like us. Probably better utilised by a family. There are after all two bedrooms, an open rooftop, a cooking area.

My husband just announced that the roof is leaking into the master bathroom toilet and our floor mats are soaked.

Looks like finishing isn't this resort's forte. Btw in the dim light last night I noted what I thought was fungal growth on the wooden tv console in the master.
But My husband blew off the 'mushrooms' which turned out to be powdery excretions by termites! Shudder.

Despite being disappointed by (1) The DVD player not being able to run the DVDs we brought (different region!! But you can borrow from 30 titles from the reception, n there's cable entertainment and wii console) (2) The foc wifi not allowing me to surf on google and facebook on my ipad, only on our iphones (3) the master bedroom aircon chugging like a ten year old condenser, we enjoyed our one hour Indonesian massage at a reasonable sgd100 each.

Also, we appreciated that the staff seem genuinely keen and helpful. My prawn and chicken sate was undercooked last night. I gave feedback, showing the manager the raw parts I had spit out. He promptly offered a replacement. But I was full. He arranged for a complimentary dessert, which we politely declined. The sate charges were removed from the bill. Thankfully too, I have not taken ill from the raw bits I might have consumed.

We had chosen montigo over banyan tree bintan (to save sgd200/ night..montigo sgd445 vs banyan us$500). However, we would have have probably experienced the same or better in sentosa onedegree15 or The Sentosa (save time, save money, eat better, contribute to my own country) or even one of bintan's better resorts, for a quick escape from Singapore over Chinese New Year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experince.

Please accept my apologies for the lapse in our service standards of cleanliness and food quality which I have addressed with my team. I have also taken note of your suggestions.

Rest assured that each of our guests' feedback is shared with our team so as to ensure a continuous exercise of improvement with a genuine desire to deliver a delightful stay for our guests.

Thank you once again for your feedback and I hope that I could meet you in the resort in the near future.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Views were beautiful on a right side, left side of the view is construction view.

Check in was fast and easy with warm welcome from the staffs. Hence i THOUGHT the service level was there.

I was wrong ! We realised the master bedroom aircon is down , called for technican, both times he came down , promised it will be working in 20 mins. It doesnt work , room was stuffy and hot.

Afterwhich , we called the 3rd time - simply NO SHOW.
Called the 4th times - reception said will look into in and arrange for someone to come down- AGAIN, NO SHOW AT ALL - we gave up , spent the night in master bedroom with full speed fan turned on and sweating the whole night.

Requested for ice , ice bucket was sent w/o the ice , oh dear , called Montigo service hotline , thrice for ice , reminder call and after reminder calls for ice , NO SHOW , was really disappointed and appalled at the service level.

Didn't mind if the service is slow , but totally unacceptable for promising something and it didnt turn up. We can forgo the toilet door can't be lock , sofa is dirty , swimming pool lights are faulty, your B&O speakers are electrical short circuit - it's shocked my hand everytime i touch it , air con is not working. But please look into your service level , need some major revamp!

Please do something about it! 5 stars facilities , 2 stars service!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
My sincere apologies for us being unable to deliver an acceptable service standards.

Rest assured that I will be looking into the operational issues together with my Executive Team to ensure that we improve our service delivery.

I would love to speak with you to gather more detailed information. I seek your indulgence to give us a call at +627787768888.

Once again, please accept my apologies and I look forward to speak with you soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

hi guys this is long over due as i had promised to write a report on the venue since i spent my last weekend there. i have read prior to going over that the place wont that great but my were they wrong! Yes it may not have the finest finishing but the place and view is amazing! the 3 storey house was perfect with your own private pool and 2 bed rooms, both bath rooms were excellent and the bathroom amenities are great ( i am not one to use bathroom amenities provided by hotel). The manager and assistant managers made the whole experience a much more enjoyable stay and offered us unparalleled experience! i will def be back soon esp when the whole place is fully open in June! Note to friends who read this, dont be so picky and enjoy a wonderful & quiet weekend from the hustle and bustle of Singapore. ( This is not a paid testimonial but a true report, should you require more infor pls inbox me). Thank you Montigo resort!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the garden suites as they have more privacy than the hill top suites!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I am delighted that you truly enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you for your kind words. My team and I will continue to improve our services in order to give all our guests a truly relaxing and memorable experience.

We look forward to your return real soon.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!