“Good stay if you are not a fussy person” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore
“Good stay if you are not a fussy person”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Montigo Resort (2D1N), 45min ferry ride plus 10min shuttle bus service provided by the resort free. Reached the resort at 12pm and was able to get the room by 12.30pm.

Overall, the villa is good, stayed in Hill side villa. 3 story (1st - Living Room, Pool. 2nd - 2 bedroom 3rd - Open concept rooft top)

1st floor consist of a kitchen with electrical stove. As side from the usual fridge and water boiler, pots and cutleries are also provided which i'm pretty surprise. Wii is also provided and there are games to choose from the reception counter. There are also other medias such as DVD players and a Iphone dock speaker. The plunge pool is a disappointment. The pool is dirty and murky. I wonder do they ever do a cleaning before their guest check in.

Bedrooms on the second floor are relatively ok. However like what others have mentions, bedsheets are dirty. The bath tub and the shower area looks dirty.

Nothing much to say about the roof top except the view is splendid.

In my opinion, if you are not a fussy person this place is great for family and friends. However, the place is relatively new but the things are showing signs of aging.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
My appreciation for taking your time to share your valuable feedback.

Whilst I am glad that you found our villas spacious, I have taken note of your comments on our cleanliness in both the linen and plunge pool.

Rest assured that steps have been put in place which includes changing our laundry supplier to improve the condition. I have also shared your experience on the plunge pool cleanliness with our Chief Engineer for improvements.

Please accept my sincere apologies for these lapses. I dh hope that you will return to our resort and see the improvements.

I would also like to wish you a fabulous 2013 ahead

266 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in villa 079 for 3D2N over the Xmas eve. First impression was good as the reception was facing the sea. We were promised early check in but didn't get it. Restaurant took more than half an hr to serve the food when the restaurant was almost empty. Took about 20 mins to get the bill done.

Bad:
- sofa was extremely dirty. Could see the whole sofa in stains and smelt really bad. Reminded me of my dog before I bath her.

- missing bathrobes in master bedroom.

- missing shower caps in guest room

- air con remote controls were mixed up and missing. Guest room was missing a remote control. Found it in living room. Which means living room's one is missing. The one in master bedroom wasn't working.

- missing knob in shower room in master bedroom. There was no way we can open the shower room once we are in there. Luckily we were tall enough to touch the top of the door to open it. Which makes us think how are shorter people going to ever get out of the shower room.

- air con makes a loud vibrating sound. Lucky it stopped when we switched off the air con and turned on again.

- Bedroom door couldn't close or lock. My dad who does renovation took a look at it and said the lock wasn't installed properly. Just a shift will do the trick.

- Restaurant food choices limited and very expensive. Likewise is the BBQ choices. (considering Batam's rate)

Good:

- attentive housekeeping staff. The first night I called service line to inform about the sofa. Nothing was done. Until the normal housekeeping staff came the next afternoon. The staff asked me about the remote control which I didn't tell him about. Asked him how he got to know and he said it was from the note that I left on the table. I scribbled all the problems on it when I was calling the service line.

- My friends had early check out but left her blue jacket in the villa. Since I'm still there, I managed to call the reception to get the key again. The housekeeping staffs were in the midst of cleaning up but they didn't see the jacket. One of the staffs even went through the trouble to go to the office (in the rain) to check with the other colleague as they are not the first to enter that villa. Yes! The blue jacket was already in the office and we managed to retrieve it.

- Careful staffs. We had quite a number of luggages and heavy ones though. But the staffs carefully load and unload them.

- BBQ night. The pit & food were nicely prepared with good table settings, cushions and a pavilion on the roof terrace. Too bad it rained, we had our BBQ on the ground floor instead. The staffs were very professional and even asked if we need the dishes to be served all at once or course by course. We had a great night! "Mr and Mrs" Santa Claus were there to greet us too! Ho Ho Ho.

- Pool was clean.

• Stayed December 2012
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Montigo Resort is a close 45min ferry and 10min car ride from Singapore.

On the surface the villas all look impressive. White tasteful decor, triple storey with kitchen & roof terrace, private pool, 4 poster bed, 2nd bedroom for the kids, huge bath tub, flat screens in all the rooms, blueray & Nintendo wii, free minibar (soft drinks only), free wifi - all the creature comforts you could ever wish for. Those who are not fussey will be happy. For me, at this price point I expect more.

Dig deeper and you soon see the poor workmanship and upkeep. Some of the light switches look poorly fitted, our master bedroom wardrobe shelves and desk hinges were already broken after 6 months usage (thats how old this resort is at time of writing). Master bedroom shower door that cannot open properly because the hinge has either been set up incorrectly or has failed under the weight of the glass door. Minibar fridge not cold because the enclosing cabinet is poorly designed/ventilated so that the heat is trapped inside the fridge space (we had to leave the cabinet door open to allow theheat to escape and the fridge any chance of approaching single figure temperatures!). An ornament with broken corners and stained bean bag not removed or replaced (nit picking I know but it sets the tone and affects my overall impression).

They are still building villas about 100 yards away. Not exceptionally noisey but some hammering can be heard throughout the day. Mildly irritating in the villa but very irritating from the Spa which is even closer to the building work!   The first night, the power tripped downstairs. Again, nit picking but not a usual occurrance for a good hotel & a frequent traveller. When a call was put into reception, it took 25mins for someone to come attend to it. This was the same response time when we asked for ice earlier in the evening. OK, I accept that they must drive a buggy to get around the resort, so some leeway is fine, but they need to improve on these response times or keep the guest informed of the delay.

The restaurant food was nice, lunch portions were decent and not too pricey. We ate local dishes and stayed away from the western menu items after reading bad reviews of their western dishes. There was a good selection at breakfast but they did charge us for cafe latte (which some places do not).   We did have a nice relaxing time for the most part. Some people may have even had a perfect holiday here and not noticed the flaws. Its just that Montigo Resort has some way to go before justifying these prices. We are here during the "soft opening" which means prices will rise after everything has been finished.

You will get nicer villas in Bali. You just need to fly there instead of taking a 45min ferry from Singapore.

• Stayed December 2012
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I have to agree with all the negative comments about this resort posted previously, so I am not going to repeat in too much detail...

Old negative comments:
(1) poorly designed villa, especially the 'outdoor' staircase which you have to use to access all levels of the villa. everyday, you sort of need to fight with all sorts of insects, e.g. centipedes, hornets, ants..., you can find in the staircase
(2) poorly maintained / dirty furniture and lousy finishing
(3) unstable water supply, so be ready that water will suddenly stop in the middle of your shower
(4) not-existent service: there are electric blinds in the 'outdoor' staircase which should be able to block out heat and insects if they work! as soon as we entered our villa and found out the the blinds didn't work, we called the reception and requested them to be fixed. when we checked out 2 days / 48 hours later, still no one came...

New negative comments:
(1) I have been to lots of pricey spa in 5-star resorts and more reasonably priced ones. The Montigo Spa is the most ridiculous one I have ever been to and it is not even comparable to the cheaper ones that I have been to especially when they are charging me the 5-start resort spa price! I got a 3-hour spa package for SGD210 (including tax and service charge) and my husband had a 60-minute massage for SGD100, but the double spa room we were given was next to the spa pool. There was nothing wrong if the pool was not open to non-spa guests, including kids who kept shouting, yelling, laughing, and making A LOT OF noise. We requested to be relocated to another spa room, but we were told that those further away from the pool were for one person only. If during your relaxing spa experience, all you want is noise from kids rather than spa music, the Montigo Spa will NOT disappoint you!!!
(2) I requested medium pressure for my massage. When I woke up the following morning, I found bruises on my back. If you ever want a massage at the Montigo Spa, request for soft pressure!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

The idea behind Montigo Villas is a great one - spacious living space (3 storeys!), in-villa lap pool with a gorgeous view where you can even see the Singapore Marina Bay Sands. However, you should know that the resort isn't fully completed now (people who have gone, like myself, paid a soft-launch price of around S$500+ per night), so they have nothing much to offer in terms of dining options and facilities. However, that said, I was impressed by the efforts made by the staff to make our stay enjoyable.

We are a big group of 8 adults, 7 children and the villas we spilt up staying in were spacious and clean. One of the villa had a noisy air-conditioner which was fixed promptly the next morning. In general, I felt that the housekeeping services could be better improved as we had to make several calls to request for towels/ drinks top-up in the mini-bar/ toilet paper which were not topped up during their standard visit. They make it up by responding very quickly, so they made a few trips a day and I think this is something which should be looked into to have the staff better trained in ensuring the villas are fully-equipped and not missing any standard furnishings.

The trick to enjoy your stay at Montigo is to plan well, particularly if you have young children with you. We brought pasta, sauces and other ingredients so that we could cook in-house for certain meals, especially for lunch where we typically could have had a late breakfast. Just remember to pack your own detergent,sponge, knife and the rest are provided for by the villa.

There is a daily shuttle that leaves the resort at 10a.m. to Nagoya shopping centre and picks up guests at 4p.m. We were aware of the timing but with small children, we decided to keep it flexible and the hotel offers private transfers of S$50 for a 2-way trip in a 7-seater. So we covered a meal out in Nagoya and also topped up groceries and even managed to pack supper from A&W!

For a variety during meal times, we booked a Christmas eve in-villa BBQ which came with a chef who helped us cook the food. It rained that evening so we dined in the balcony next to the lap pool but it worked out very well and the layout was superbly done by the staff with candles and a variety of utensils laid out. Santa also paid us a visit with some local cakes and an invitation to a kids' party on Christmas morning at the Kids' Club where they received free balloons and cookies.

Meals at Tadd's was reasonable. Service could be faster in terms of arranging the tables and asking for warm water/ extra plate, etc. The dinner menu isn't extensive but the food (fusion) served was tasty but a little small in portion.

In our kids' words, they enjoyed the place very much because of "(prompt) buggy service, lap pool and hide-and-seek (space)". The rooftop is amazing, good ventilation through the villa and overall a very comfortable stay. I will recommend this place for families who want to spend quality time together (free rental of DVD, Wii games) or anyone who just wants to chill. There is no beach, no sun-beds up yet, so you are somewhat confined to hang out in your villa/ reception/ spa; so make sure that's what you'll like or else you'll be better of booking somewhere else. Lastly, because the hotel is new, the beds and couches are new and very comfortable. I do hope they will keep up the maintenance as this resort offers a different experience but its appeal will also depend on what their future rates are like, after the property is fully completed.

Room Tip: Hilltop and hillside villas offer great views and are convenient.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

I am glad that you were able to enjoy your stay with your family. Though we are still in our soft opening period, we strive to provide activities for our guests who want to spend their time. Activities like cycling, tennis, kampong trails, fishing, mangrove expeditions are currently being provided by our fabulous recreation team. We will continue to add more activities whilst our remaining facilities are in the final stages of completion.

Thank you also for sharing areas of improvement especially with our housekeeping services and rest assured that I will personally look into this with a view to improve.

I look forward to having you return to our resort and at the same time would like to wish your family and you a fabulous 2013 ahead.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We have booked a 2D1N stayed in this hotel. I found this hotel is excellent, the staff is friendly and the service is good. Below is some of my review in each of the area:

Front Desk: Check In: Excellant, but Check out a little bit too inefficience, so you need to cater for around 10 - 15 mins for checking out. As for me, during check in I choose to pay Cash as a deposit, so when during check out I need to wait for the staff who is holding the key to open the drawer to get back my money.

Food: Nothing to say much - one word "Excellent" in term of quality and taste. But in term of price, also one word "Expensive".

Housekeeping: Fast and responsive. At midnight, I would like to play WII, but I realised that there has no response on WII remote, so I call the housekeeping, within 5 mins, housekeeping reach and help me to fix it.

In-house transport: Still have room to improve, as during the morning time, it will need to wait a little bit long for the transport. But the rest of the time is OK.

Overall this hotel is excellent and bring me to have a great experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your detailed feedback which is appreciated.

I have taken note of both the positive and the areas suggested for improvement. Rest assured that we will strive to ensure continued improvement in both our services and products.

I have also discussed your feedback with the respective section leaders to put in steps for improvement.

Thank you once again and my team and I wish you a fabulous 2013!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I booked this resort because I wanted to give my family an experience of a lifetime and boy; it was truly an experience of a lifetime, but in a negative way!

I had travelled extensively and stayed in many high-end resorts and hotels like Banyan Tree, Bintan, Ritz Carlton, KL and many others which charge close to what Montigo Resort cost me. This resort is utterly disappointing. From the beginning to the ending of our stay there, what we experienced were nothing close to what we paid for.

I wrote to the resort days before our arrival and ask for early check-in because we will be travelling with young children and an elderly mother, I was told they will try to accommodate my request. So when I arrived at local time 11.30am, after filling the necessary forms and presented my credit card for check-in, the front-desk staff asked us to take a seat while he check my villa for me. I assumed that our villa would be ready soon. So we sat around the lobby and waited. And after half an hour, still no news from anyone from the resort, then my husband approached the front-desk again and this time another staff told us that the check-in is only at 3pm! We were really unhappy with the answer. Firstly, I don't believe I have to wait for more than 30 minutes to hear that the check-in is at 3pm, because I already know, that's why I requested for early check-in and if early check-in is not possible, at least let us know immediately, not after such a long delay. We totally felt like a fool sitting there waiting and waiting!

When I confronted the front-desk staff and asked him why did he ask to to wait while he checked the villa from me if I can't check-in now, he said nothing and just looked at me and gave me a what-seem-like an apologetic smile.

Knowing that we were unable to check-in, we decided to go to the town (some 40 minutes drive away) for lunch, but was told the free shuttle bus only operates in one single timing - 10am to town and 4pm back from town to resort. The bus had left, we had to take our own transport there. So we arranged for a $26 per trip ride to town and reserved for our seat back from town with the resort shuttle.

When it was 4pm, the resort sent a tiny van to pick the resort guests up from the town. There were more than 20 people all squeezed into that tiny van, it sure spelled hazardous with a capital H! What is the reservation of the bus for, if the people in the resort can't do simple math and had to send such a small vehicle to pick all the guests and their shopping bags. Seriously, this endangered the lives of the guests!

Local time was nearly 5pm, when we finally check into our villa, on the facade the villa looks luxurious, but upon closer inspection, you will noticed there are just loads of flaws. The wood of the dining table had split, the TV in the living room had its reception messed up and all channels are shown with 'snowflakes', one of the tap in the master bedroom had became loose, the glass door of the shower creaked badly whenever I tried to close it, oh and it doesn't even stay closed. These aren't the worst.

What happened next was horrendous! On our first night, the aircon in the master bedroom made a constant vibrating noise. We just tried to ignore it and go to sleep, then a 5 plus in the morning, we were rudely awaken from our sleep by this loud rattling noise, it sounded as if the motor or the blades of the aircon and caught something. I quickly switched off the air-con. Then I found water dripped from the air-con onto the table we placed our belonging and my bag was soaked! Luckily our handphones and cameras were not kept inside my bag or they would have been damaged for sure.

We phoned the resort and told them that we had asked for someone to fix our TV since last evening and no one came (yes, after 12 hours, not a soul show up) and now the air-con is breaking down, they had to send someone over at this instance!

On our last day at the resort, we were at the only restaurant in the resort for breakfast and suddenly it was pouring. We asked the staff from the restaurant to call us a buggy to send us back to our villa as we needed to pack and check-out soon. The staff took more than 15 minutes to call for the buggy and when I thought the buggy had finally arrived, the buggy left without us because there is a distance from the restaurant and the place the buggy stopped and as it was raining we had to wait in the restaurant, and each time the buggy comes, before we could get to it, it will assume that there isn't anyone needing it and drove away. After the third buggy left us stranded in the restaurant, we gave up and decided to walk back to our villa in the rain with 2 children and 1 elderly mother! Doesn’t that pi*s you off!!

Throughout our 3D2N stay, we had to put up if slow services or even no show when we request for something, lousy management and mediocre services. The grand finale came when we were at the counter checking-out and the resort bus took our bags and luggage and left without us to the ferry terminal!

I ran after the bus like a mad woman. It was then, a staff from the resort told me he would contact the driver of the bus and we could pick up our belonging when we reached the ferry terminal but no apologies were given.

When we reached the ferry terminal, we managed to retrieve our stuff and I was just dying to get away from Batam and Montigo Resort as fast as possible. It has been the WORST Christmas I ever had in my entire life, all thanks to Montigo Resort!

Room Tip: For privacy, choose the hill top.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am truly sorry for the many lapses in our service and not being able to provide a comfortable experience.

If you would permit me, I would like to get in touch with you to discuss this personally so that I can investigate and put in steps to ensure no recurrence of such issues.

Could you kindly assist to get in touch with me through +627787768888 or through our email reservations@montigoresorts.com

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!