“When terrible is an understatement” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“When terrible is an understatement”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I booked this resort because I wanted to give my family an experience of a lifetime and boy; it was truly an experience of a lifetime, but in a negative way!

I had travelled extensively and stayed in many high-end resorts and hotels like Banyan Tree, Bintan, Ritz Carlton, KL and many others which charge close to what Montigo Resort cost me. This resort is utterly disappointing. From the beginning to the ending of our stay there, what we experienced were nothing close to what we paid for.

I wrote to the resort days before our arrival and ask for early check-in because we will be travelling with young children and an elderly mother, I was told they will try to accommodate my request. So when I arrived at local time 11.30am, after filling the necessary forms and presented my credit card for check-in, the front-desk staff asked us to take a seat while he check my villa for me. I assumed that our villa would be ready soon. So we sat around the lobby and waited. And after half an hour, still no news from anyone from the resort, then my husband approached the front-desk again and this time another staff told us that the check-in is only at 3pm! We were really unhappy with the answer. Firstly, I don't believe I have to wait for more than 30 minutes to hear that the check-in is at 3pm, because I already know, that's why I requested for early check-in and if early check-in is not possible, at least let us know immediately, not after such a long delay. We totally felt like a fool sitting there waiting and waiting!

When I confronted the front-desk staff and asked him why did he ask to to wait while he checked the villa from me if I can't check-in now, he said nothing and just looked at me and gave me a what-seem-like an apologetic smile.

Knowing that we were unable to check-in, we decided to go to the town (some 40 minutes drive away) for lunch, but was told the free shuttle bus only operates in one single timing - 10am to town and 4pm back from town to resort. The bus had left, we had to take our own transport there. So we arranged for a $26 per trip ride to town and reserved for our seat back from town with the resort shuttle.

When it was 4pm, the resort sent a tiny van to pick the resort guests up from the town. There were more than 20 people all squeezed into that tiny van, it sure spelled hazardous with a capital H! What is the reservation of the bus for, if the people in the resort can't do simple math and had to send such a small vehicle to pick all the guests and their shopping bags. Seriously, this endangered the lives of the guests!

Local time was nearly 5pm, when we finally check into our villa, on the facade the villa looks luxurious, but upon closer inspection, you will noticed there are just loads of flaws. The wood of the dining table had split, the TV in the living room had its reception messed up and all channels are shown with 'snowflakes', one of the tap in the master bedroom had became loose, the glass door of the shower creaked badly whenever I tried to close it, oh and it doesn't even stay closed. These aren't the worst.

What happened next was horrendous! On our first night, the aircon in the master bedroom made a constant vibrating noise. We just tried to ignore it and go to sleep, then a 5 plus in the morning, we were rudely awaken from our sleep by this loud rattling noise, it sounded as if the motor or the blades of the aircon and caught something. I quickly switched off the air-con. Then I found water dripped from the air-con onto the table we placed our belonging and my bag was soaked! Luckily our handphones and cameras were not kept inside my bag or they would have been damaged for sure.

We phoned the resort and told them that we had asked for someone to fix our TV since last evening and no one came (yes, after 12 hours, not a soul show up) and now the air-con is breaking down, they had to send someone over at this instance!

On our last day at the resort, we were at the only restaurant in the resort for breakfast and suddenly it was pouring. We asked the staff from the restaurant to call us a buggy to send us back to our villa as we needed to pack and check-out soon. The staff took more than 15 minutes to call for the buggy and when I thought the buggy had finally arrived, the buggy left without us because there is a distance from the restaurant and the place the buggy stopped and as it was raining we had to wait in the restaurant, and each time the buggy comes, before we could get to it, it will assume that there isn't anyone needing it and drove away. After the third buggy left us stranded in the restaurant, we gave up and decided to walk back to our villa in the rain with 2 children and 1 elderly mother! Doesn’t that pi*s you off!!

Throughout our 3D2N stay, we had to put up if slow services or even no show when we request for something, lousy management and mediocre services. The grand finale came when we were at the counter checking-out and the resort bus took our bags and luggage and left without us to the ferry terminal!

I ran after the bus like a mad woman. It was then, a staff from the resort told me he would contact the driver of the bus and we could pick up our belonging when we reached the ferry terminal but no apologies were given.

When we reached the ferry terminal, we managed to retrieve our stuff and I was just dying to get away from Batam and Montigo Resort as fast as possible. It has been the WORST Christmas I ever had in my entire life, all thanks to Montigo Resort!

Room Tip: For privacy, choose the hill top.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
I am truly sorry for the many lapses in our service and not being able to provide a comfortable experience.

If you would permit me, I would like to get in touch with you to discuss this personally so that I can investigate and put in steps to ensure no recurrence of such issues.

Could you kindly assist to get in touch with me through +627787768888 or through our email reservations@montigoresorts.com

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

280 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Indonesian first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012 via mobile

Services is slow and we have to call 5 times to get someone to change the bed sheet as it was dirty and it is not done till now after 7hours.

Was promised early check in but when I arrive. the room can only be ready at 3 plus.

For about 500++ per night in batam, this is not acceptable at all.

Book 2 way travel to town twice and realised that I was overcharged for 1st night. When I asked why, they say they will investigate and no one got back to me yet.

Even the interior finishing is the worst I have seen. Design concept was great. But maintenance and material used is lousy.

Very disappointing with this stay.

The only plus point is that the staff are friendly.

Totally not worth the price.

• Stayed December 2012
Please accept my sincere apologies for failing to provide you with a comfortable stay. I believe that Jordan, my Executive Assistant Manager has been in touch with you a couple of days ago.

I have taken note of all your comments and rest assured that it was discussed in detail with our Operational Leaders with a view to improve our services.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We went to the Montigo Resorts Batam for a quick weekend getaway, just to get some peace and quiet. The resort was also newly opened so we were hoping that we would not get too much of a crowd there.

We used the Aqua Voyage private ferry service (pre-booked with Montigo) to get to destination. It was great having a private vessel and not having to jostle with the crowd. You could also choose to sit on lower deck, or on the flybridge. Arrival at Nongsa Batam, our passports were collected by the crew, retained and processed via the CIP terminal. A car from the CIP terminal took us to Montigo Resorts Batam took us to the resort which was only about five minutes away.

Our villa was not ready for check in so we settled down at the all-day restaurant – presently located a floor below Reception – for a nice long lunch. It was raining any way. We had oxtail soup and nasi goreng and found the food quality to be really good.

When the villa was ready around close to 4pm, we were taken there and so checked in. It was huge. The living room and the pool took up the ground floor, and on the second floor was where the two bedrooms were located. And on a floor above that, was the rooftop where you would be able to hold a barbecue party if you liked. We were just two persons so a rooftop party would have been an extravagant too-much.

For the rest of the day and night or the rest of the stay – pretty much, we just chilled out inside the villa, watching TV, using their free wi-fi, and soaked in the pool. We had our own snacks and coffee and drinks supply so we were rather self sufficient but we did order in a big dinner from Room Service. Or should it be called Villa Service …

We treated ourselves to a two hour spa and massage session the next day and that was good, completed our weekend getaway perfectly, before we left with the 5pm Aqua Voyage ferry back to Singapore.

Price point: It would not be a cheap getaway especially if you’re not four persons (every villa there caters to four) but that said, whilst four would make the getaway a bit more economical or efficient from a cost perspective, those who want the full Montigo Resorts experience or want their full value for money, should wait for the resort to complete all their remaining public facilities which when we went, were still not opened. Namely: public pool and a couple more restaurants. (Yes, there was only one restaurant for when we were there and that catered to our lunch, dinner, breakfast and room service too). Still overall, the resort is pitched at the upper end of the market so we were aware. That said, we did really enjoy the Aqua Voyage service so that was a big big plus.

Villa: Though the resort development was new, the villa was already showing quick signs of wear and tear. Vis a vis price-point, some aspects of its finish lacks the finesse, and as it was still in soft opening phase, it may be inferred that the property management were still going through the villas to clear up defects. Benefit of the doubt. Anyhow, maintenance could likely be challenging for the resort management going forward as their property is one of high maintenance.

Safety: The bathroom in the master bedroom was huge and had natural sunlight in which was nice. However, there was a slight “step” one step away from the wash basin which would prove to be dangerous because of the uneven flooring. Both my partner and I tripped multiple times during our stay there. I returned and warned another friend (who was also going to the resort a month later) and even though she went knowing about the step in the bathroom, she still came back to Singapore with a blue-black mark on her leg because she really did, trip and knock herself. We were just lucky to have broken fall each time we tripped. So watch for that little "step" near the wash basin (ours was the Hillside Pool Villa)

Shower: there was some water supply issues in the master bedroom shower. The water temperature would fluctuate between hot and cold and the water supply in the morning was pretty much non-existent. Not sure if this was just peculiar to the villa but we left that feedback with the resort management.

Room Tip: check in may be delayed if the resort is busy, plan your time and trip properly so you are suitably...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking time to share your feedback in Tripadvisor.

I am glad that you enjoyed our villa and our service and also the private yacht transfer provided by our official transport partner Aqua Voyage.

Indeed, we are working together with our development team to ensure that our facilities are up at the earliest opportunity and we are also looking into comments and feedback from our guests to improve on our current services and product.

I hope that you will be able to return soon to enjoy another getaway with us real soon.

Wishing you a fabulous 2013!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed one night at the resort with my family. The villa is very big and spacious, with 2 bedrooms. Definitely enough space for as many as 8 pax, if some members don't mind sleeping in the huge living room. The master bedroom is really well designed and spacious, with good view and nice bathroom. The other room is normal, but definitely spacious enough.
They offer free mini bar items, with enough soft drinks and chips for 4 pax. They also have a wii console for entertainment. The plunge pool is very nice a relaxing.
The service staffs are attentive and helpful. The food in the restaurant is not bad but price is on the high side. Would recommend the Spa also. Service is good and price is reasonable after discount.
Overall a very enjoyable experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am glad to know that you enjoyed your overall stay in our resort. I am happy that our staff were able to make your stay a comfortable one.

I have taken note of your comments for our consideration and improvement.

I look forward to your return visit to our resort in the near future.

Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Big villa with infinity pool, very comfortable for 5 pax. The master bedroom is especially appealing as you can see the panoramic seaview from your bed. The attached bathroom is very well designed. The only concern that I had was that there was insufficient hot water for shower. The hot water ran out very quickly, especially when more people were bathing.

Overall, staff service is very good. Special mention to the duty manager, Mr Harun Al Rasjid for helping us with our check in and accomodating to our request. There is also a male staff (I don't know his name) mending the reception at the spa villa. He took the initiative to serve us drink and keep us company when our buggy service were a little slow. Excellent service and hospitability from them.

Generally, good value for the villa if there were only 4 pax. The additional cost for the 5th person is SGD100++ which is very expensive. Furthermore, there is no additional bedding given. Actually the villa is big enough to accomodate up to 8 pax, as there were many sofa beds. Perhaps the management can reconsider its pricing as there isn't actually much extra cost for the additional pax in the villa other than the breakfast.

Would also recommend the management to have a heated jacuzzi pool with stronger jets at the common pool area. Currently, the pool at the spa villa is pretty cold and the jets are not strong.

Generally, comfortable and relaxing stay within easy reach from Singapore. I look forward to visiting the resort again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
I am glad that you enjoyed our villa. I will also share your kind comments on the service rendered by our Duty Manager Harun with him.

On the same note, I have also taken note your suggestions and rest assured that I have listed them for consideration.

Thank you and wishing you a fabulous new year ahead.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went to Montigo Resort in Nongsa last week. Taking the wait at the ferry terminal into account, the journey from Singapore take you a nearly 2 hours, not 20 minutes as advertised by the resort. Immigration was a excellently organized by the resort, we just walked into Indonesia. The property is 5 minutes away from the ferry station and checking was swift. Since the hotel seems to be very empty on a weekday, we got our villas at 10 am right away. The first impression is gorgeous. A big villa, very modern light architecture with nearly too much space. Minibar is free, but they don't tell you. Basically we were driven to our villas, but nobody explained the rooms to us.

The living room view is breathtaking! The plunge pool is a bit too small for swimming but adds nicely to the view. Once you go into the pool the water drainage system makes a lot of noise that keeps basically everybody including adjacent villas awake. The tiles are bit dirty and stained our swimwear.

Once you look a bit closer you can see that the materials used in the villa are ok, but the installation and finish of the whole thing is of really shabby quality. If every villa is a good constructed as our this resort will be done in less than 10 years. The questionable quality is also evident in other ares of the property.

Another lowdown is the pathetic artificial beach that the hotel created. So far also none of the advertised pools or the beach club is open. This was advertised for June 2012 in the past. New completion is about a year later. Looking how few workers are on site one could get the idea that there might be funding some problem.

On the positive side, all the staff are very engaged, friendly and clearly concerned to make your stay a good one.

To sum it up: I hope they get their act together and fix all the construction issues. This place has a lot of potential to be the best hotel in Batam.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I apologize that our staff did not communicate our services to you. I have shared this with our operational leaders and we will strive to improve our communication.

I have also shared your comments on construction with my colleagues from the Development Team and will work with them on improvements that we can do. I am also working with them to ensure that our remaining facilities get ready at the earliest opportunity.

Finally, I am glad that you found our staff engaged and friendly which feedback I have shared with them.

We are working to ensure that we deliver a truly 5 star resort and service to our guests and feedback from our guests like yourself are important and valued.

Thank you once again and I hope that you will indulge us this occassion and return to our resort soon.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed for a work related visit and was expecting a better standard of service as the initial impression is 5 star.
The location is great, the villas lovely, but badly maintained, and the restaurant was nice.Unfortunately none of the staff have any obvious experience which is fine except that doesn't mean they should ignore your requests or their duties ( especially cleaning) I don't mind if it takes longer but not at all is not appropriate.
Unfortunately there is only one other place nearby that you can seek as an alternative for entertainment as the Batam township is a 30 minute minimum drive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I would like to discuss this further with you if you could indulge me. Could I trouble you to call me at +627787768888.

Once again, I am truly sorry and I hope that I would be able to speak with you real soon. Thank you

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!