“Has potential when it is ready” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Save Saved
You added Montigo Resorts Nongsa to your Saves list
Montigo Resorts Nongsa
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl Jalan Hang Lekir, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province 29411, Indonesia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore, Singapore
“Has potential when it is ready”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Montigo is very new hence if you prefer a beach getaway with everything in place, you may consider staying in this resort in mid to late 2013. Montigo has potential when they are ready but until then there are several items which they can improve on so that there will be more returning guests after the soft opening.

Villa
The size is very good for family or a group of friends. The main entrance wall were made up of planks which you can see through when you walk pass. For some it feels a lack of privacy but it is part of the design that gives you the resort feel. There are two rows for hillside villa and the view would be great if you are on the first row as it is directly facing the beach. Mine was the center row hence the view from my pool was the front villas.

Layout and cleanliness
Simple and basic furniture with minimal decorations. There were lots of post renovation stains/marks on the floor and walls, insects are almost everywhere especially mossies. As Montigo is still building the resort hence it is normal that the furniture tends to get dusty. Because the place is new hence insects will conveniently come in since villa is empty most of the time. Perhaps with all the construction still going on, my skin became itchy when I am either sitting on the sofa or sleeping on the bed. The most less desirable experience was I got badly bitten by the mossies (face, fingers, legs and shoulder).

Minibar
At the moment the mini bar is complimentary but the items provided are too little which I believed when the place starts to get busier, there will be more variety. Do bring your own snacks if you could. The teapot and cups were dusty but not a big problem.

Restaurant and food
Only one restaurant is available but they can work on the table/utensils hygiene. The table/utensils have lots of sands which could be from the construction site. At the moment they do not have breakfast buffet since occupancy is low but they may consider to have a menu buffet in which guests can order whatever they want. This method is organic and prevents food wastage.

Even though my review seems to be less positive but I did enjoyed my stay as the staff were friendly and helpful. Some may not speak very well but you can tell he/she is putting efforts to chat up with you. Do not compare Montigo with other resorts as they are new and they had mentioned that now is soft opening so visit the place with an open mind if you are fine that most of the amenities are not ready. Will I visit Montigo again? I will when everything is ready.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I appreciate that time taken off your busy schedule to pen down your detailed comments.

It is true that we are in our pre-opening stage and we are working closely with our development team to ensure that our services are completed at the earliest opportunity. At the same time, I have taken note of your feedback and shared it with both our development team and our operational team so that we can look into the improvements.

I am confident that you will feel the improvements when you visit us next.

I am looking forward to your return visit soon.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We were staying in the hill top villa .
We really enjoy our stay in this place and the service is really very impressive. If you guys are planning for a relaxing trip and unexpected fishing tour experience you can look for Mukti Ali one of the manager there....cheers

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for taking time to share your valuable feedback.

I am truly glad that you had an enoyable experience at our resort. I am also happy that Mukti was of assistance in making your stay a memorable one.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Me and my friends checked-in last weekend for a hen's night party at montigo resort! We were greeted by the amazing views at the reception! The welcome drink is great as we juz had our massages n everyone was dying for a drink.

The friendly staff gave a very good and brief intro of the resort. We tested everything n seemed fine then started cooking our own dinner. The kitchenette was small and handy but would be great if the utensils range can be a little wider like salad bowl, scissors, can opener n bottle opener. We bought our own ice cream cones but they melted becoz there is no freezer. The rooms are generally very well kept with the exception of the first floor living room where giant ants can be found crawling all over.. Although the ants didnt attack us or anything we still need to spend some considerable amount of time to get rid of those crawling over mats as we were sitting on the floor.

The pool was the best thing we had a great chilling session there. As per the other reviews, yes the floors are generally slippery! Even with our feet dry, we were at risk of falling down a few times. Probably if the resort can add a few more lights to the pool area, we can enjoy the pool a little bit more in the evening as we didn't use the pool the moment it gets dark.

The breakfast is actually quite okay for gal's appetite not for guys. Surprisingly, their food is not spicy for a singaporean's taste bud. So for those who really want spicy food, please highlight in advance.

Basically, there were more pros than cons. The staff didn't really understand English do it was a bit difficult if we need to get something and they take slightly longer. I supposed this is due to the huge compound.

Should at least go 2 nights to fully enjoy the stay. My gal friends can't wait to go back for a second trip!

• Stayed October 2012

I am delighted that you enjoyed you enjoyed your stay. I have also taken note of the various areas for improvements and will work wih my operational team to ensure that these are looked into for improvement.

I look forward to your friends and your return real soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Montigo Resorts Hilltop villa for 2 nights. Everything abt the villa was good except for the stairs leading to the bedroom.. It rained during our stay at the resort and the steps leading up to the bedroom was wet as it can be and very slippery. As i was with an elderly and a child, i got a bit worried. There was a bit of a problem with the blinds, which doesnt go all the way down, so that doesn't help at all in keeping the rain out..

And the food and its range can be improved..we ordered room service for lunch, some dishes were a bit bland, the rendang did not taste like rendang, but i was told that, that is the balinese way of cooking it..so i guess i can't argue much, there...choices for complimentary breakfast was limited but view from the restaurant was fantastic.

Staff were friendly and my overall stay was good. I hope to be able to visit an improved Montigo Resort soon.

Room Tip: I visited the spa and based on the view from the bottom, I think, the hilltop villas provide more pr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your valuable feedback.

I am delighted that you found our villa good and staff friendly. I have also taken note of the 2 points namely the wet stair situation and the food selection and tastes. I will work with my operational leaders to ensure that we look into this with an intention to improve.

I am confident that you will see the improvement on your next visit. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I would say the service and villa pretty meets my expectation for the price we paid. There are some minor teething issues but it's part and parcels i suppose. Service from the entire team were extremely good. Their enthusatic smiles and volunteering to take group pics for us were a bonus.
The only disappointment was the breakfast. I wish it could have a generous and hearty spread in the next future when we next visit.

The villa was spacious and we pretty much had a wonderful time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
I am happy to note that you found our resort beautfiul and enjoyed the services of our staff. I am confident that you will see improvements during your next trip as we continue to tweak and improve on our servie and product standards.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

I stayed at Montigo Resorts in a hilltop villa for 4 nights. Check in was a breeze, and the hot towel and lemongrass tea were most refreshing! I really appreciated that it only took us 5 mins from the ferry terminal to the resort.

The Villa is really nice. What you see in the pictures, is really what you get! I would agree with some of the other reviewers that cleanliness was not top notch, but it wasn't such a big issue. It is true that the villa doesn't offer much privacy...the staircase is in full view of other villas, or the road depending on where you are. There seem to be automatic blinds that you can close, but these were not working in my villa.

It was lovely to have a pool on the patio, but again, you are in full view of your neighbours if they look down from upstairs, as well as the villas across. It is also very difficult to get out of the pool, as there are no railings you can use to pull yourself up and out of the pool. In our case, anyone who happened to see, would have had a good laugh as we desperately tried to get out of the pool using the steps which were cut into the side of the wall. It is hard to have your foot in the 'step' and then pull yourself out with no help from a railing! You can see from one of my pictures that the railing does not extend out of the pool!

Please, please,please (I cannot stress this enough) be careful when you get out of the pool! There are no bathmats to dry your feet on, and if you step foot onto the floor in the villa, it is extremely slippery! My husband fell, my daughter fell, and the room service guys all slipped when they came to deliver out meals!

The master bathroom is huge! I am puzzled by the lock being outside the door as opposed to being on the inside! Again, as earlier mentioned in one of the posts, there is a small step in front of the sinks which we all very painfully hit our foot against numerous times. This was also where I fell coming out of the bathroom. Even damp feet on the villa floor are enough to send you flying, or in my case 'planking'!

The food is better from the room service menu at the moment. And more than 2 choices of breakfast on a weekday would be appreciated. However, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. I never had to wait longer than 5 mins for a buggy. Riyanto was always quick to come and I enjoyed my short conversations with him to and fro on the buggy.

Overall, an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Aloysius M, General Manager at Montigo Resorts Nongsa, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

I have read with concern on the issues raised with regards to the slippery surface and will look into ways to improve this immediately. I will also be working with my team to look into improving the lapse in standards which you had mentioned.

I would also like to get in touch with you to obtain more details and follow up on your feedback. Feel free to contact me at +627787768888 at your convenience.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that your family and you experienced and I look forward to speaking with you soon.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Our trip to Montigo was a 3-day-2-night getaway for 5 people. Overall the resort was good but not up to 5-star standards of cleanliness and service.

We stayed in the hillside villa with private pool, which was extremely spacious. The furnishings were modern and new. Inside the villa, the living room (1st floor) and bedroom (2nd floor) were quite clean. However, the rooftop terrace (3rd floor) left much to be desired. Some of the white beds and cushions were stained with lizard droppings and blood (hopefully from mosquitoes). Needless to say, we avoided sitting on those.

Prior to arrival, I was informed that there would be no extra bed for the 5th person but they would make up a day bed (probably on the sofa in the bedroom). This was not done, and we had to request for extra pillows, blankets and towels for the 5th person. There was also insufficient plates, utensils, etc for the group. Considering that we paid an extra $100 for the 5th person on top of the 4-person rate, I expected the villa to be better prepared.

On the first night, the water in the villa suddenly stopped running for about 1 hour. When we called reception to ask about it, they explained it as some maintenance work that was going on. This was around 8pm, and did not inconvenience us greatly as we were just hanging around and chatting. However, if someone was in the middle of a shower.... They should have informed us prior to conducting the maintenance work just in case.

Because the compound is extremely large, the staff need to take the buggy to deliver room service or other requests such as extra towels, etc. This resulted sometimes in a long waiting time for service to arrive. Suggest to furnish the rooms better (i.e. with towels and pillows in one of the cupboards). The weather was also very hot, and we had to keep requesting for ice. Suggest to include an ice-maker in the room to reduce manpower needed to deliver it each time.

A final comment on the buggy service. We had to take the buggy out to the dining area for breakfast in the mornings. On the first morning, the service was excellent - buggy came within 5 minutes of calling for it. On the second morning, however, the buggy took 30 minutes to come, and we had to call for it 3 times before it finally came. For a 5-star resort, this is extremely unacceptable.

One major plus of the service is that they are extremely friendly and always smiling. They even helped to chase a large spider away from one of our bathrooms, which was extremely helpful.

Overall, the stay was comfortable but not up to the luxury standards that would be expected of a 5-star or even a 4-star resort. As Montigo is still at the soft launch stage, they should take the time to address many of these issues while guests are still accepting of these teething problems.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
I am dissappointed to note that you did not have a enjoyable stay. I have looked into all issues that you had raised and will personally work with my team with a view to improve on our services.

Though on a soft opening stage, valuable feedback as yours help us improve and ensure that such issues do not recur in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your feedback and I look foward to being able to welcome you back in the near future.

Montigo Resorts Nongsa

Been to Montigo Resorts Nongsa? Share your experiences!