“Not worth the premium price!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Nongsa Point Marina & Resort

Save Saved
You added Nongsa Point Marina & Resort to your Saves list
Nongsa Point Marina & Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jalan Hang Lekiu, Nongsa, Riau Islands Province, Indonesia   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Nongsa
Singapore
“Not worth the premium price!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

Paid more than SGD200 for a seafacing room but was disappointed. Bathroom with previous occupant's hair still can been seen on the drainage area despite spending my second night in the same room. Buffet breakfast was nothing to shout about and spend more time chasing away swarm of houseflies rather than enjoying my breakfast! Can't they do something about the houseflies problem?

Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Indonesian first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

At first glance, Nongsa Point looks magnificent. Nestled in a bay, the chalets line the hill side overlooking the marina and sea. The reception and lounge is pristine white. Then, you notice the flies around the restaurant. The beef rendang is delicious though. Service is slow but friendly.

We took the 3-room chalet for $300. The surroundings are clean and there are many monkeys roaming around, which could be a plus/minus for some. The place has a working kitchen, with pots, pans, plates etc, but no dish washing liquid. There's also a LCD tv with cable. Each room has an ensuite bathroom and a queen bed. It was clean. Aircon worked, there's hot water. No wifi.

The decor is quite tired, with furniture and paintings from the 70s or 80s. The towel rack in one bathroom was broken, and the shower head was placed too low. The bed is firm but the pillow is very thin, so bring your own pillows if you need support. What worried me was I could not lock the balcony door in the bedroom but it seemed pretty safe.

Breakfast is ok, with servings of tropical fruit, rice, noodles, bread, hot dog sausages, hash browns and fried chicken wings. But with the flies around, I only ate from the egg station.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Private = yes
Service = poor
Foods = need to improve
Guest & public relation= go for courses !
Aircon = Replacement needed
Overall = not value for $
Revisit = unlikely.

• Stayed July 2012
Medan, Sumatera Utara, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

First impressions of the place was that it was beautiful and clean. With a small marina, the view was gorgeous especially at sunset. The staff was courteous and polite, with one of them even going the extra mile to help us collect our ferry tickets. And they even got us hot water for our cup noodles while we were waiting for the bus, after checking out. However, the place is quite inaccessible. It took a 1hr ride to Nagoya hill via a mini-bus chartered by the front desk and we got back in a cab. Both trips cost us 150k rupiah ($20). We had lunch here as we were hungry, but even our hunger couldn't change the fact that the food was just average and overpriced. You'd be better off getting cup noodles and beer from the minimart. Recommended if you're just planning to laze around and enjoy the serenity. Very quiet resort.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bali, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Afternoon rains but nice and cozy resort. Cool little marina to walk around and can take the beach route to visit Turi Beach resort next door.

Room Tip: be sure to bring essentials since minimal store available.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

I do not want to write a bad review about this place since I have always praised the Indonesians for their warm hospitality and immaculate service especially for Turi Beach Resort which is managed under the same parent company as Nongsa. So when I booked this hotel, I thought I would have the same amazing service that would make my weekend break stress free. Unfortunately although this place is absolutely beautiful physically, the terrible, terrible, terrible service makes it beyond redemption.

The training/development manager of Nongsa needs to take a tip from Turi. Where Turi's service is absolute first class. Nongsa's is non -existent. Where to start?

Firstly, if you are planning to eat in the restaurant my friendly advice is "Don't". It took 45 mins to an hour to be served our food. Bad sign considering there is only about 10 other customers. All had their food arrived late. For those who think that this is probably a one-off. It's not. We also made a mistake of having drinks on 2 separate occasions. On both occasions, the drinks took at least 30 mins to arrive. The worst thing is that we asked for Coke. How long does it take to pull out the can ring, grab some ice and pour it into a glass? It takes me under 2 minutes. The staff seemed so slow or just lazy.

Secondly, the staff obviously has this pathetic 'colonial' mentality. If you are white, you get fussed about endlessly. Forget that we as a family have exceedingly high disposable income to burn there... instead preferences were given to some pubescent, rowdy teenagers, JUST because they were white. They get their water refilled constantly. We had to specially request ours and even then, the pathetic server filled one glass.. This sounds absolutely pathetic as I write this. But I have never encountered such blatant racism in my life. And I have been to places with the worst reputations for racial discriminations. Anyway, the key motto from the inexperienced and green staff here is that white rules. Other races don't. Who would have thought that I have to encounter racism from Asians even though I am one. Extremely disappointing. Are we living in 2012??? The Nongsa staff still seems to be stuck in the olden days.

On one occasion, I wanted to pay the bill for our meal and I stood there at the cashier which was manned by 3 staff. I was blatantly ignored while 2 of the staff were chatting to each other and another was doing other things. Seriously? What kind of service is this to ignore a customer who is trying to give you money? It was only when I sharply announced that I need to pay that things go promptly. Disgraceful. Bloody stressful.

The staff in the hotel also doesn't seem to understand the basic trait of customer service. Every single question or request I have asked is met with a prompt "NO". I have never been to a hotel before and been denied my requests ALL the time. Perhaps the training manager should instil the mantra that the customer is always right. Or at least, pretend to solve a customers request before straight forward denying it.

Oh and most of my requests are not huge by the way. When we checked in, we were given one key even though there were 3 of us. Later on when I requested an extra key, I was given a flat out 'no'. Im sorry but what hotel only provide a room with one set of key?????!! From the way they reacted to my request, it seemed like i was making an unreasonable demand. As I walked away from the reception, I could hear the staff laughing at me. Seriously Nongsa Resort? Do you guys train your staff to make fun of your customers? Wow. Don't expect customers to come back again.

So there are still a dozen more incidences I could go on about but writing it here just stresses me out. I can't believe that I came there to look for relaxation and get nothing but endless stresses.

A word to management. I do find that the staff hired were too young to be effective. Nongsa needs to hire older or at least experienced staff if they don't want to go bust. I for sure will never visit again and will make sure that everyone I know, knows never to go there. Business should also learnt to not underestimate the word of mouth.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nongsa Point Marina & Resort? Share your experiences!