“Loved the staffs!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. KH. Ahmad Dahlan | Marina Waterfront City, Sekupang, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Offers & Announcements
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sekupang
singapore
“Loved the staffs!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

I read in someone's review that he told the resort that it was his fiance's bday and they arranged a bday surprise for her. Hence, i emailed harris too saying that it was my boyfriend's 21st bday. Yani (theirs sales rep) replied very quickly, saying that she can help with that. With a free small cake and a surprise! So sweet of her. Had a very good impression of harris even before i reached (:

Upon reaching batam ferry, we were brought to the side, took our passports and tickets and sent us on the free shuttle bus to the resort! We didnt have to queue to pass through customs!! Awesome! hahas

When we reached, we were greeted warmly by the stuff , with a drink and hot towel to refresh ourselves. Because we reached at 12 and check in time was 2, we had to wait. That was quite a damper. But, we occupied ourselves by walking around and checking out the place. SUPER nice pool! The spa place is like located at some errr. seperate building-which doesnt look very nice. But, acceptable i guess.

Still had some time till 2, so we redeemed our free lunch. It was either a set lunch each(a range of rice with food-abit like our mix veg rice style) or apan pizza per room. The set lunch didnt look appetising to us, so we took the pizza. It was not bad. Though quite little! Totally not filling. haha

After eating, we went to the counter to check again if we can check in already. Had to ask numerous times. We had to keep going over to ask when is the room ready. BUT. Finally when we got our room, THE WAIT WAS WORTH IT!!! They had upgraded us to the Cabana Room! So sweet of them! i guess that was the surprise! ((: The room's pretty pretty! hahas
(If your not a couple, do not opt for the cabana room. Toilet has no privacy.)

We decided to go do their water sports after unpacking. Hmmm. Their water sports are quite ex. Only kayaking was cheap. We had a lot of fun time basking in the sun! Went to some island and saw monkeys! haha

After that, was DINNER!! we opted for the indonesian buffet, located at the pool side. Nice ambience. And GREAT FOOD! i love the beef remdang! Yum yum. hahas There was even a live band! (:
Yani came over to say hi! Finally got to meet the wonderful woman. She brought the cake out and the band sung a birthday song for my bf. So sweet of them. haha But that night, there were ALOT of birthdays. So, the novelty of the idea wore off by the time it reached my bf's. haha But my bf was still soooo touched!

Next day, we woke up early for breakfast(which was quite nice) then went for the spa. Intially, before arriving at the resort, i was told that the spa was fully booked. But when i went down, there were like many empty slots! Puzzled. But oh wellll.
We did traditional indonesian message(1hr) and herbal bathe(1/2 hr). They were having 40% off! So it was quite a good deal.
After payment, we were lead to one of the many huts on the roof top. Soooo niceeeeee!!! There were two message beds and a bathetub. Undescribeable! And the message was good! Herbal bathe was sooo relaxing! Hmm, only thing was that, our appt time was 9 but we reached at 915. The massage ended at about 10. I guess you cant be late huh. hahas

Wanted to do dry sport on 2nd day, so after the spa, we checked out and decided to do go to the much anticipated GO-CART!!!
HUGE DISPPOINTMENTTT!!! We spent like half an hour finding it and guess wad. It was outside of the resort, in enclosed cage. It was like abandoned. No way of getting in and no staff tending to it. ))): Sad.

After that. we were both super shagged. Ended up sleeping on the sofa for 3 hours. hahahas!

OVERALL!!!
Awesome resort if your looking for a nice getaway to relax! The stuff are super duper friendly! You'll get caught up in their one-big-family. haha
However, if your looking to go to the resort to do their indoor/outdoor sports, probably not a good idea.

Mentioned some stuff above that they could perhaps improve on. But they are all just minor stuffs i guess. I still had an enjoyable stay!
Would DEFINITELY go back again!!!

THANK YOU HARRIS RESORT TEAM!!
Esp YANI!!((:

• Liked — The friendly staffs!
  • Disliked — The sports facilities.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

Stayed at Harris Batam from 12-15 th October. We had booked on the internet and recieved a total bill of 198 sing dollars for three nights stay . Upon check in we were told there had been a mistake and our bill went up from 198 sing to 250 Sing!!!!!. We were expected to pay 20 dollars for breakfast on top of a charge of 98 dollars per room. We had booked the super deal package and obviously it was not a super deal at all. My husband and I were fuming that after we had a written confirmation for a price of 198 sing dollars for three nights that they would honor this. They did not.
We told the staff that we did not want breakfast charged at 10 sing dollars per person and we would do without.

We never saw the manager or deputy manager once in our three nights at Harris. Where were they? we heard so much about the manager welcoming guests, well where the heck was he???
Our room was fine until we lay on the bed and discovered a dry blood stain on our sheet. I felt sick when I saw this. Wjhy would staff put a stained bedsheet on a bed knowing customers will see it?

We went into the D Lounge for drinks and to listen to the band only to find that it had been taken over by a very loud Singaporean man and his possy. He was so embarrasing. He took over the singers microphone, as well as the guitar and drums. He was very embarrassing and twice as annoying. The band were very patient in putting up with this clown of a man. He was so loud and extremely annoying and should bear in mind that other guests do not want to listen to his awful warbling along with his wife and her friends line dancing and making fools of themselves. They would not give up at all.

This was our third trip to Harris and the staff could not be less interested in welcoming returning guests as they had no clue. I really doubt we would return to Harris resort Batam again because of our last experience there.
The Japanese/Korean restaurant is very expensive and the service is rubbish. The staff are incompetent and do not know what service is apart from standing in the doorway sniggering at customers, very rude.
As a couple of previous posters mentioned also that they were not happy with Harris Resort Batam this may be a wake up call for the management to do something about it and maybe try putting in the odd appearance for the guests now and again instead of not at all.
Very dissapointed with our third stay at Harris and will look elsewhere next month.

• Liked — size of the bed
  • Disliked — certain front staff not honouring our reservation and check inn. mosquitoes (bitten five times) invisible manager and his deputy were never seen.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 25, 2008
Thank you so much for your feedback, the package you have bought has been emailed to You with clear details:Super deal for the first two nights:SGD132, third night simple deal:SGD98 wihout breakfast, breakfast SGD 20, total of the package SGD250.
In the Resort there is a General Manager, General manager in charge in case of the absence of the General manager and a duty manager for 24 hours whose photo is posted at the Front office. All three of them can be contacted anytime around the clock.
As far as the japanese restaurant is operated by a third party. This managemens is changing by end of October 2008 for a better quality of service and food.
Thank you so much for alerting us on the various issues and looking forward to welcome you at the Harris Resort Batam once again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

Before i start my review, i would like to stress that this is just my personal view and experience.

I had went to Harris Resort for a couple of times and everytime Harris Resort had done a wonderful job by welcoming the guests and all the staffs were busy, trying to check in as many guests as possible. I could see that some of the staffs even went to the extend of checking in guests from the lounge area by ushering them from the main lobby in order to prevent conjestion.

It was a Saturday and there were many guests at Harris Resort. Naturally, the staffs had a difficult time handling the crowd. But the efforts that they put in to accomodate the guests is sometime that is worth mentioning.

Harris Resort at the end of the day, is just another simple resort in it's own unique way, but i can see that Harris do take the intiative to make their guests feel warmly. For example, that nite itself, i see the staffs celebrating the birthdays of 3 different persons during dinner. I mean how do they know the person's birthdays and where they sit and how they looked like? I understand that these are some of the efforts taken by the staffs of Harris and i really appreciate them eventhough i was not the birthday guy.

Harris Resort, good job!! Keep the Spirits up...dun take the adverse comments to heart, just like wat i had said one man's food maybe another man's poison.

• Liked — Spa, room and attitude
  • Disliked — Nil
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

Hi travellers,

Upon reaching the Harris Resort lobby, we were greeted by a group of very friendly staff with loud jingles and a clown hiding in a soup. I was quite impressed by the enthusiasm of the orange tee-shirt staffs.

There was a big crowd at the reception and a staff approached us for the hotel confirmation slip. My friend passed to the staff and we were asked to wait while they process the check-in.

We understand that it may take a while for us to check in due to the high volume of guest, I decided to wait at a corner where there is a sofa. After waiting for almost an hour, it seems that there is no response from my friend at the reception area. The reception area is cleared with only 2-3 couples - obviously most guest had checked-in. I went to check on the situation and was told by my friend that there are several staff handling our package. So I went back to the same sofa corner and waited for another 30mins or so. Then my friend came and told us to go for lunch first at the cafe.

I found a nice space in the cafe and served by a waitress asking for our choice of food. She then explained to us some very confusing food vouchers entitlements that we are not aware of. She asked for the food vouchers which we do not have it. My friend told the waitress to check with the manager for the voucher - we did not received any vouchers or anything besides the map in a lanyard.

There came a man and claimed that he is the 'senior manager' of the resort. He asked if we are having some problems with the resort. I said yes we are having some big problems. Another friend asked him to imagine that how would he feel if he is the customer who had waited for rooms for hours but the request was passed around a few staff.
His words was ,'If you do not like this resort, you can always go to other hotels and we will refund you'. At this moment, all of us were extremely SHOCKED by his reply.
Two of my friends pulled him one side to discuss further.

After that, my friends came back and told us that we had our rooms and the 'Senior Manager' had realised that his staff had made some mistakes on our arrangement. He offered us some 'Foot Massage Vouchers' and persuade us that it will definitely be 'a place to heaven', we rejected the voucher and he did not want to take it back. we left it at the receptionist - No apology was given to us for your information.

I need to call up both the Harris Singapore & Jakarta office using my mobile phone to demand for an explanation. I had asked for the superior of the 'Senior Manager' however it seems that they are not available(Saturday). I left a message in both offices to the subordinates of the 'Senior Manager' and requested for an acknowledgement of my greivances via email by Saturday night - A check on Sunday night showed that both office did not acknowledge me.

Anyway, we had our lunch, check-into the hotel rooms however, there is something that is permanent in our mind - Are we going to enjoy the Harris after the commotion?

The key points:

1. We were not given any vouchers to go for lunch which the waitress asked for. - That means we had not check-in and get any of these vouchers
2. If there are no rooms available, the staff should inform us about the time to check-in so that we would not have to wait at the reception for so long.
3. My friend who organised this trip is embarrased in front of all his friends. It is supposed to be a short getaway for us to catch up. - That is why he pulled the 'Senior Manager' aside.
4. When the 'Senior Manager' asked what is our problem, did he investigate or check with his staffs before talking to us?
5. Is he listening to our problem?
5. If a 'senior manager' can tell a guest such things, would the rest of Harris be the same?

After all the commotion after 10mins check-in, we decided to seek other available resorts in batam and again my friend used his mobile phone to enquire. Fortunately for us, we manage to secure an alternative room.

We looked for the 'Senior Manager' and told him that we would like to take his offer not to stay in Harris. He agreed however, there was no proper documents given to us and mentioned that we have to claim it back at Singapore office. We left the Harris and headed to the booked hotel. Upon that, We don't feel good as the impression of this 'Senior Manager' seems not reliable for what he had claimed. What if he turned back his 'words'? My friend decided to go back to Harris and demand for a black-and-white. They came back with no outcome and does not want to bring this unhappiness to us.

Anyway, we had fun at the other resort - no regrets for choosing it.

The only consolation came when we are back in Singapore on Monday, when the Singapore office called to apologise to my friend for the unpleasant trip. It was followed by an email to address our complaints which is very professional.

How can I rate Harris after our experience? There seems to be no way to rate these factors -price, service, quality, food, activities.

So, consider your choice.

• Liked — The service skills that the hotel staff possess.
  • Disliked — Makes my mind and energy worked very hard.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
SG
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2008

I had stayed there twice and I'm still looking forward to return to Harris in the near future. The staff were helpful and cheerful. And they always serve you with a smile. The spa packages are cheap and worth every penny spent. I got a deluxe room with a great pool view and it comes with a 3 hr spa treatment for 2. This deal also inludes ferry transfer, lunch and breakfast. I couldnt get any cheaper than this... The rooms were clean and spacious and the suites were great too... They have plenty activities too, bowling, karaoke, soft gun, archery, water sports... And if you have kids, they have a Dino club for them so you can fully enjoy your holidays without your kids around...

• Liked — The spa
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2008

My girlfriend and I were spending our 2nd year anniversary over at Harris. The spa experience was very good, considering that this is the first time I tried out the body scrub and aromatherapy massage as part of the spa package.

But actually, what stands out the most is that the hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. One of the managers over there, by the name of Vincent Gunawan, is one worth mentioning. Having known that we are spending our 2nd year anniversary over here, he tried to make our stay more unforgettable by volunteering to give us priority to upgrade to a bigger Cabana room for the 2nd night. He went out-of-the-way to ensure that we are able to get the 1st Cabana room available. But we eventually rejected his offer as the Cabana available was a bit far away from the hotel lobby, cafe and swimming pool area. Regardless, I applaud his services.

Vincent Gunawan also came to talk to us a few times during our stay and asked whether our stay was ok so far. He also helped to recommend some of the nice dishes in the hotel cafe. As part of our anniversary gift, he even provided us with some hotel souvenirs. What a surprise!

My girlfriend and I enjoyed the satay sauce that the hotel cafe provided as part of the satay set that we ordered. Not only did it tasted very different from normal satay sauces that we had eaten, it was also spicier. Vincent then came along and during our short conversation, we mentioned that we liked the satay sauce very much. What he did later was really unexpected. He started telling us what the main ingredients of the sauce were, before he went into the kitchen and came back with the satay sauce in a butter-like form. He told us that we can have it. and also told us that we only need to take a small portion of it and mix it with hot water and the satay sauce will be formed. What else can I say? Great service!

My girlfriend and I are looking forward to going over again for a short trip whenever we can.

Stayed September 2008
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

THE H SPA EXPERIENCE

Harris Resort Batam is undergoing some revamps and the "H Spa" is the one of the recently completed projects.

Located at the roof top of the "Activity Building", it cuts itself away from the fuss and buzz created by family travellers (screaming children accompanied by equally anxious, screaming parents, etc).

However, do not be naive to think that noise can only come from fellow guests. As the building is located close to a fairly busy road, the tranquility creates an opportunity to heighten the sounds of engines/honks coming from motorcycles and other vehicles. So yes, the H Spa is well segregated from fellow resort guests, thus offering a tranquil environment for you to enjoy your treatments, the tranquility also becomes a perfect backdrop for passing by vehicles.

Here are the pros and cons of the H Spa.

PROS
--------
* Spanking new facilities
* Experienced masseurs
* Friendly staff
* Privacy
* Complimentary use of its Jacuzzi, shower and Sauna

CONS
---------

* Poorly Ventilated Spa Reception. A fan stands behind the spa reception counter, cooling the host/hostess. The rest of the reception area does not have any fan/air condition. After climbing 3 storeys to reach the spa reception, a little cool air to relax and calm you while you wait would be nice.

* Poor Layout for Massage Rooms. The Spa gave me an impression that they are trying to squeeze as many facilities/massage rooms as they can into a single roof top area. As a result, while each massage room is considered fairly big in size, I would actually consider it rather cramped and minimalistic, resulting in minor inconveniences for the guest.

Some massage cottages house a bathtub next to the massage table and only a mini cupboard is offered for guests to store their clothings and belongings.

Now, imaging removing your damp, sweaty clothes and storing them into a cupboard with no air circulation, only to take it out in its equally damp and soggy state a couple of hours after your relaxing massage to wear them again. How's that thought? Bet it's money well spent.

And no, the Spa does not believe in hooks. From the shower cubicles to the dressing area to the massage rooms, only 3 hooks could be found (They are mounted against the wall facing the shower cubicles). There is absolutely nowhere else for you to hang your clothes and to air them dry while you are enjoying the massage/facilities.

When you sign up for a higher end treatment package, they will offer you Ginger tea/Green tea at the end of the session. You have to stand and consume the drink because there is no chair for you to sit. Sure, one can sit on the massage table - if you want massage oil/bits of body scrubs on your shorts.

* Poor layout of Spa Facilities. With the renovation comes new facilities and they are free for guests to use. These facilities includes lockers, shower rooms, sauna and cold plunge jacuzzi. Next to the locker area is the dressing table. Two combs are offered for guests to use and they really look "used". It would be more presentable to offer a few more combs in wrapped plastic sheets so that guests will have choices, thus more tempted to use the combs.

There is also no bench in front of the lockers for guests to sit and pack their belongings. One has to stand and juggle to keep their belongings.

As mentioned previously, there are only 3 hooks in the entire H Spa and they are outside the 3 Shower Cubicles. Imagine this - After you have stepped into the cubicle and removed your clothes, you have to walk out in your birthday suit to hang your clothes which are OUTSIDE of your shower area. And once you're done washing up, you have to once again step out in your birthday suit to retrieve your clothings.

"Why not leave them inside the shower cubicles?" you ask? Would you like to have water splatter all over your dry clothes as you shower? Plus, there are no hooks inside the shower area to hang your clothes, remember?

The island's surrounded by water but the taps/sprinklers don't dispense them. Imagine my shock when I tried to turn on the shower tap to find no water coming out of the sprinkler. Luckily, I have not applied my shampoo/body soap. There is something wrong with the water system - the water pressure is weak when the taps are working. Throughout my 3 days' stay, most times the water in the H Spa's shower area don't work and when they do, the water pressure is usually weak.

If the prices were kept in its original range before renovation, I would expect less. However, since prices were revised and it's fairly close to what spa charges in Singapore, the H Spa will need to match up to expectations of that price bracket.

* Frequent Electricity Outage. I had 4 spa sessions planned out during my entire 3 days' stay. In the morning, electricity is not a problem. If your appointment is in the evening, then you will witness occasional power supply trips. On my first night of 2.5 hours treatment, it tripped once. On my second night of 3 hours treatment, it tripped 3 times and there I was lying alone in the massage, wrapped in body mask when the music, fan and lights went off. The staff knows what the problem is but there is little they can do. I don't blame them - they are not Engineers, afterall and they don't control the budget. So each time it trip, they can only turn the master switches back on again.

Side Note:
The hotel staff are, as reflected over and over again in other reviews, friendly and polite. Even the housekeeping staff display such friendly traits.

I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of work Housekeeping staff puts into tidying up a room. Eddy Sufriandi, one of the housekeeping staff who tidied my room not only mopped the floor, he vacuums it too! Right in front of my eyes. The hotel might be old but the management tries to make up for it through a proper housekeeping and maintenance:

While inside my room on the first night, the bathroom ceiling started dripping water. My intention was to close the bathroom door and let it drip till the end of my trip :P Eddy noticed the drip while performing housekeeping the next day and offered to ask his fellow Maintenance colleague to fix it. Within 15 mins, the Maintenance staff arrived with his tools and replaced the faulty heater with another working one. Nice.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Disliked — The value I receive taking into consideration the prices charged for facilities, food and spa treatment.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, October 4, 2008
Thank you so much for the constructive comments concerning our H Spa.
For your information the H Spa is being at its soft opening stage at the moment, with half of its facilities being completed. Our H Spa suites, meditation pavillion etc are under the final stage of completion. The Grand Opening is scheduled to be on December 2008. We acknowledge all the input and we are seriously taking it into consideration for improvement.
As far as the prices are concerned there are attractive promotions and deals where the guests could enjoy.
The noise of the road was an exception during the Hari Raya holidays as many local people were visiting the Waterfront city area and also the resort , which is not the case in normal weekends or weekdays as the Resort is located on a private real estate and majority of the rooms are facing the peaceful ocean or swimming pool
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekupang
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
Harmoni Suites Hotel
Harmoni Suites Hotel
#2 of 19 in Nagoya
4.0 of 5 stars 101 reviews

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!