“Good resort for groups but in need of upgrade” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront

You added HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront to your Saves list
HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Jl. KH. Ahmad Dahlan | Marina Waterfront City, Sekupang, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Sekupang
Melbourne, Australia
“Good resort for groups but in need of upgrade”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We travelled in a group of 5 and picked this place because 1 wants massage and the other wants activity. Our package included 2 hr massage spa (1 1/2 hr massage plus 1/2 hr milk bath) and a choice of activity. The massage was decent but the masseur cut short of my hubby and my massage to just over an hr. We were offered a make-up 1/2 hr as our friends did enjoy the full 1 1/2 hr, but my hubby's mood was already dampen. There weren't much activity to choose from as it was raining so no flying fox and the sea activities were already closed some time. There's just shooting target, paint ball and it was agreed that we could bowl but shoe rental not included.

It was great that we were given interconnecting rooms and had a lot of fun. The pool was great with sufficient space. As it was Hari Raya holiday, Most malls and shops were closed except Nagoya shopping mall. so we stayed in the resort. We had foot reflexology which was good. Overall we were happy with the service and the cafe food was good for its Mexican flavored dishes, local dishes and Indian vegetarian dishes. We were rather disappointed with the lack of activities and the need of maintenance especially the activity centre. KTV was also closed. The pizza that we ordered can't meet the standard of the Italian restaurants as the crust was too dry although the toppings were fine.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Harris Fan EstelleFoo,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where is all Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your holiday experience with us and many other
members of the travelling society.

We would like to thank you for your so positive feedback and we will look into the comments that need to rectify for our guest comfort and fun stay.
We thank you for your nice comments on our Food and Beverage outlets and the Spa and Reflexology treatments.

Thank you once again for choosing HARRIS Resort Waterfront Batam

HARRIS Resort Waterfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Vietnamese first
Singapore, null, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Hello fellow travellers, I have pen down my trip to Harris Resort at the Waterfront over here. Please do kindly visit my blog. http://thesnowflowerrr.blogspot.sg/2013/08/travel-with-me-batam-short-getaway.html

But just a gist of it all, the hotel's hygiene was not up to my standard, and there were a lot of confusion from the staff - whatever package I ordered wasn't given to me, until I revealed the email which I found it was unacceptable. I paid for it, and yet I was demanded to pay extra, until I revealed that I have already paid for the item earlier.

And ants are seen almost everywhere, even on the bed. Sigh, and if you are looking for watersports, go somewhere else, there is no longer those banana boat rides and parasailing available there. Don't waste your trip...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Harris Fan thesunflower.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your personal opinion about your holiday
with us.
We will also follow to review all your comments on the advertised blog which I do not know if
is allowed to advertise on the tripadvisor other relevant blog sites.

We are sorry to see some of the aspects of your stay where not up to your expectations and
we will have a meeting with our team to discuss further your feedback.

On behalf of all the HARRIS players

HARRIS Resort Waterfront Batam
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is my first time staying at any Harris hotel. I did not expect any 5 star frills for this resort as I heard mixed comments on the hotel but the price I paid is too good to resist. Boy was I disappointed.

Room :
We were given 2 separate rooms (we requested for connecting rooms) in 2 different wings so we were not very impressed and requested for rooms at least within the same building and were given 2 connecting rooms immediately. Imagine our shock when someone was already occupying the rooms when we opened the doors!! We went to reception to complaint and they immediately upgraded us to their cabana rooms. Don't be deceived with the word "upgrade". The rooms looked nice but was actually infested with mosquitoes. My daughter was bitten on her face when she woke up in the morning. The water heated was not working fully. We had limited heated water so the last ones got to shower in cold water.

Meals :
I was glad we only have to put up with having breakfast. People were fighting for tables. Queues were everywhere but limited staff on the floor. The scenario at breakfast was, when there were fresh replenish of food, the utensils ran out or vice versa. It was constant waiting for this or that. Food quality was the worse I had ever had. The kitchen could not cope with the load and the taste.

Facilities :
Pool was very rundown. The hotel ground is in serious need of a major demolishing. Broken tiles were everywhere, unsightly exposed water pipes leaking
and the plants did nothing to beautify the place at all. It did not give me a resort feeling at all. The kids club was another disappointment. Old toys, lack of staff and filthy environment.

I am definately not going back till they get a major make over. Even for the low price I pay, I can get something more decent else where.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Harris Fan Amy9610,

Thank you very much for sharing your personal opinion during your stay with us.

We would like to thank you for your comments and feedback and all of the issues mentioned
we will discuss further with our team.
We are sorry to see that some aspects during your stay were not up to your expectations and
we are having always a manager on duty on the site to resolve any issues coming up.

On behalf of all the Harris Players I would like to thank you for having chosen our resort for your
holidays.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

we stayed there 2D1N 21/07/2013. I went with my parents and I ordered a triple room. I sent about 10 emails before the trip and got only 5 replies or so. so some of my inquiries are left unanswered until I reached the hotel. I was given a double room with an extra bed. but I called once and made two personal trips to the front desk and I waited for more than 1 hour, the extra bed never came. Nor did the slippers, toothbrushes, etc. So I paid extra for another room because I was so tired and sleepy. the rooms are OK (one of the trendy rooms), but not 4 star quality. the free buffet breakfast was OK. there is a small balcony facing the pools, but strangely there is only one chair in each room. we found blood on one bed sheet, and multiple stains on the sheets and towels. we asked the room service/housekeeping/frontdesk several times before someone came to change. but the rooms are still acceptable. I had a good night sleep after turning off the noisy aircon and fridge (which is empty). The food in the cafe is extremely expensive ($45 for buffet lunch for 3 persons, the price was still acceptable but the quality and selection of foods were no match of the price. don't eat there! but there is nothing else to eat around ... the hotel was so far away from other places. we paid 15 singapore dollars to travel 30mins to a shopping center, and we only paid $10 for a wonderful lunch for three persons. the spa was OK, but the spa room needs renovation and the 1 hour spa ended within 50mins. The staff was quite friendly, but they may have communication problems from one department to another. I saw the front desk staff called the housekeeping guys for changing bed sheets, but they never came... I had to call again. so next time I may try another place in Batam.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
executive5, General Manager at HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Harris Fan Dakeke,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your personal opinion about your stay in our property with other members of the travel community.

We are sorry to see that some aspects of your stay did not match to your expectations and we are looking into the matters further to your current feedback.

We would like to thank you once again for choosing our hotel for your holidays

On behalf of all the HARRIS players

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

It had been a few years since we last checked into Harris Waterfront. We had many past good experiences with this place. People are friendly and helpful. Place is well maintained. Thus this time we went back with the same expectations.

However, we are very disappointed. Checking in takes forever and the staff at the booking counter for activities (transport to town, ferry tickets) is very rude!

Our room take forever to cool.. and we did not use any blankets. Maintenance of the room needs to be look into. Floor is sticky as well.

Overall, staff service level have dropped tremendously compared to the past. Even the restaurant serves slow food when there is less than 10 pax in the restaurant during off peak lunch.

Oh and yes your H-Spa used to be very good. Your masseurs skills are just so-so now and they sort of hint to you, give me tips. We did out of pity, not cos of their good skills.

Disappointed we do not know if we will ever try your hotel again.

Dear Harris Fan Dingdangmei,

Sunny Greetings from the Resort of Smiles where all is pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your review with us and let us know about
your stay along with the other members of the travel community.

We are sad to see that your feedback for your stay was not up to your expectations and we are going to investigate further for the rectification of our services offered.

Could you please drop me a personal email in order to discuss further about your stay.

On Behalf of all the HARRIS players

HARRIS Resort Waterfront Batam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Our 2 families of 4 adults and 4 children stayed at the Harris Waterfront Batam for 3D2N and had a utterly miserable time. We did not have high expectations, but the entire resort's lack of maintenance really sets new standards for level of dilapidation. Firstly, one of our rooms (Room 508) was clearly converted from the living room of a suite. Even that is so, why did the hotel not provide cupboard, in-room safe, or even hairdryer? We asked for a hairdryer but it took forever to arrive. When it did arrive, the technician took seemingly forever to install it. The sofa and other furnishings were haphazardly placed in order to accommodate two twin beds. The bedsheets were grey and dirty to the touch. The writing table is also pushed aside blocking the interconnecting door (which we do use). Funnily, the staff said that if we want to use that door, we can inform them and they will unlock it for us. But we discovered that the door could be open freely and it was not lock! If the next door guests are strangers, we would be able to go in and out of their room freely!

We requested for housekeeping as the floor was sandy and dusty when we checked-in. While casually mopping the floor with big Z strokes, the housekeeping staff was also walking around the room in their dirtied shoes. When I requested for slippers for everyone, they only provide ONE pair of worn and dirty HARRIS UNIQUE SLIPPERS!

The resort's location is also most inconvenient as it is far from Nagoya town. Therefore we thought we could simply bum at the resort and enjoy the water sports activities such as banana boat, jet-ski etc that are advertised on the hotel's website. To our major disappointment, there were NO beach activity at all! In fact the entire beach was covered with a huge piece of black torn fabric which seems to be used to soak up oil spillage? The supposed sea sport activities office was abandoned and piled with lots of dirty junk. By continuing to advertise sea activities on its website, the resort is definitely guilty of gross mis-selling.

In addition, the Dino club was in a sad state and the kids weren’t interested. The ATV was under maintenance (again not stated upfront), and the flying fox looked unsafe. We spotted nice new floats at the pool and were delighted. But our delight was short-lived as the floats cost SGD$5 for an hour's rental. There was a pool-bar but it was no longer in service. The bowling alley was also perpetually booked out by private and corporate event. Given the sorry state of the resort, it was no surprise that mosquitoes here were ferocious and defied any sort of insect repellents.

Since there was NOTHING to do at the resort. We decided to venture to the crowded mall which is about 30mins away. As if misleading guests to stay with them isn't enough, Harris charges an exorbitant rate to bring you to where you can perhaps do something. The staff said that shuttle bus rides cost $10 per adult, and kids below 10 years old ride free. The age limit here is lowered so you have to pay for almost everything. To make things worse, while we are paying for the tickets, the staffs sheepishly spoke to one another and then duly informed us that so long as we are taking up a seat on the bus, we have to pay even if the kids are below 10yo. That means we have to fork out SGD80 for a 30min ride? It is hard to fathom that in Batam it costs so much just for a 30min ride. It is certainly more expensive then taxi rides in Singapore or many SEA countries! At this point we began to feel that all foreigners are treated as milking machines. Btw, the buses reek of sweat stench.

Harris resort had one more nasty surprise in store for us. We decided to swim in the morning before checking out. While playing in the pool, one of our girls brushed her arm against the side of the pool wall and suffered a deep gash from something sharp inside the pool. Blood gushed profusely from her wound as it was a very deep cut. We frantically tried to stop the bleeding while trying to find help. However there was only one attendant by the pool, and his job is to give out towels. When we told him to inform his supervisor, his response was “I am new here, only one week. Many children play here and they are all ok. I will write a report, tell me where in the pool she got hurt.” His defensive response made our hearts sank. This incident alone convinced us that no one should ever choose this place.

When I surveyed the pool afterwards, I saw many construction workers working. One was even sawing wood at the centre platform and there were wheelbarrows everywhere. Around the entire circumference of the pool, there were also rusty nails jutting out from the floor every 15cm. It is irresponsible of Harris to allow construction work to go on while not ensuring that the guests safety are looked after.

It is one thing to build a hotel and another to be able to maintain it. For eg. Cameron Highlands Resort is a very old hotel but beautifully maintained. The management of Harris Resort Waterfront aka general manager, clearly does not know what it takes to run a hotel. There were a lot of staff at the hotel but they are largely not trained to do their job properly. Given the useless and token responses I have seen from him here in TripAdvisor, I would expect a similarly superficial, useless and defensive response from him, if he does response at all. Hence, my advice is: If you want a decent vacation, avoid Harris at all costs.

So, you are wondering where are the naked calendar girls in this post? There's none.. Exactly how I feel about being cheated to stay at Harris!

Dear Ilovetowurtles,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your personal review and opinion about your
stay with us.
We are sorry to see the way you describe things and most of all of the inappropriate tittle to your review.
We have certainly taken note of all you have written and we thank you very much for all the constructive comments you have feedback us in order to improve our services and management
skills.
HARRIS Resort Waterfront Batam is an established property for more than ten years and certainly we are always striving to improve the services hence the renovations you have seen ongoing at our hotel. We are sorry that if in your opinion in the secluded island in the middle of the pool the ongoing work has been a real issue to the security and safety of our guests despite of all measures that were taken for no accident to happen and the task was successfully carried.

In order not to comment more as you describe with superficial defensive and useless comments i would like to thank you for choosing our resort and we are sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay as you describe.

On Behalf of all HARRIS Players

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

First of all I would like to thank you for the great hospitality that you and your team has provided to us on our Family Retreat from the 5th July 2013 – 7th July 2013. My whole Family had a lot of fun and was actually impressed how everything was very well organized. I must say all the credit goes to you and your team who made life much easier for me.. 

It all started from our pick up at Sekupang (Hari) and Batam Centre (Not sure of the name). Both guys we already there ahead of time and greeted us with a smile the moment we arrived. They even assisted us to book our return tickets without much hassle. When we arrived at the hotel everything was well organized at we all had our own booking numbers and the staff was very fast to get us all the rooms even before 12 noon. I know that is not easy to do especially if you are running a full house the previous day. Credit definitely goes to the Front Office and Housekeeping team. The housekeeping team was also very efficient to ensure all rooms we clean and comfortable for us throughout the stay. To name a few – Linda who had been very helpful even before we came to Batam when we were communicating via email.

Most importantly your team was ever ready to meet our expectation expectations and answer to all our queries. Upon check in I know some of the rooms has very minor issues but the maintenance team was very fast top rectify the problems and solve the issues almost immediately. One room that the problem could not be resolved, the rooms was changed for them immediately.

Throughout our stay we has we had meals and namely the Buffet dinner on the first night. The food was great and I must say we were spoilt with choices. The service in the coffee house staff was also fast and attentive attending too all our needs. They staff did an excellent job locating us in the corner for the dinner which the family has must room to move around and chit chat and enjoy the privacy….

Also to comment is your staff in the Guest Relations Desk. On Saturday Evening and Sunday Morning (can’t recall her name.. sorry!!) She did an excellent job to confirm our ferry booking for us. Some of my guest did not even have a return tickets but she manage to get us the reservations. I can imagine how difficult it was for us as we had different groups leaving at different timings. Even when we did not have a confirmation on the same day, Next morning the staff followed up very well and made sure she got us the reservations. She was always there to give us a smile and ensuring us that everything will be fine even when we needed a bus which was not part of the hotel service. She made sure the service was made available to us.

Finally the man behind the curtain is yourself. I personally think the team are all doing a great job because they have a leader like you, who is always on top of situations, always being so calm in accommodating to our requests. Most importantly you are always there to make sure that everything went well and has always been checking with me if everything is ok and is there anything else you can do for us. This give us guest the personalized service which all the guests are looking forward to when even we check in into a hotel… Not forgetting how you personally sending us to the ferry terminal in Sekupang. That was definitely the cream of your service which proved how sincere and down to earth of a person you are. I am impressed..

Overall it was an amazing experience and I felt that the you and your team did an excellent job. I trust you guys are master of your job and that’s why everything went very well. The only this that we were a little disappointed was that the watersports were not available as most of us wanted to enjoy the beach. Having said that the team and yourself did a good job to explain to us the situation which we fully understand. Sometimes it’s beyond our control when these facilities are outsourced. With all the good things happened to us during this trip it did not matter if we did not do any wartersports… Everyone was too busy being pampered by your staff.

Since me and my wife are only in Singapore we will surely visit you yours again one of the weekends and will be looking forward to the great service again. 

Meanwhile keep up the good word and thank you for everything.

Dear Harris Fan Shuhanth,

Sunny Greetings from the Resorts of Smiles where all is Pleasure and Fun,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive report of our services facilities and most of all our friendly staff.

We are so glad that your stay with us has been so relaxing and enjoyable and all of our staff
has been courteous and has stayed in your memory to give their names to us on here.

We are sorry if some minor issues have occurred but I am sure all were resolved on the spot as you well mention it.

We would like to thank you once again for the genuine comments and also for choosing our resort for your holiday.

On Behalf of all the HARRIS players we are looking forward to having you all with us once again in the near future.

Harris Resort Waterfront Batam
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sekupang
HARRIS Hotel Batam Center
Harmoni Suites Hotel
Harmoni Suites Hotel
#3 of 21 in Nagoya
4.0 of 5 stars 106 reviews

Been to HARRIS Resort Batam Waterfront? Share your experiences!