“Overall, It was a pleasant experience for the first time!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Sekupang, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Sekupang
Singapore, Singapore
“Overall, It was a pleasant experience for the first time!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

In fact, this was the first time for me and my hubby visiting Batam. We decided to hunt for a neat and affordable 2D1N package to Batam as a quick weekend getaway. Thus, after much exploring around the travel webbies, we choose Holiday Inn Batam since I read largely positive reviews on Tripadvisor. The trip from Singapore to Batam was rather fast, an hour or so.

When we stepped out from the immigration at Waterfront Terminal, a friendly guide asked if we were going to Holiday Inn. We were promptly taken to our hotel without much waiting time.

Once we arrived at the hotel, we were given a refreshing pineapple welcome drink. It was really good especially after all the travelling.

The concierge were friendly and prompt in checking us in. All the processes including booking of the return ferry tickets were really smooth. We managed to confirm our return tickets for the next day.

Upon arrival to hotel to getting to our room took about 15 mins. We booked a one bedroom suite and we were pleasantly surprised at the big layout.

There was a master bedroom with a bathroom attached and a spacious hall with a TV and cushion sofas. A balcony right outside with a table and chairs. There was another room with 2 singles beds. We loved the space we had. It was just like an apartment. The queen sized bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. You can be promised of a good night sleep.
The bathrooms were clean but smelled a bit musky. The TV had plenty of channels to choose from, something you will need because the hotel is rather quiet and not much to do around it except swim and maybe check out the spa. I did not go to the spa though, but it looked a little run down. but I have heard great reviews about it, so you can try if you ever visited this resort. The downside to TV is that the next day when it rained really hard for like alomst 3 hours, the channels kept getting disrupted. We had to wait 5 mins to 10 mins before you can view the channel again. It can be frustrating.

Okay so coming back to the first day at the hotel, an hour after chekcing into the room, we decided to go for a swim since the weather was great. We checked out the indoor swimming pool and realised only the two of us were at the pool.

Later, we walked over to the outdoor pool which was obviously more crowded. I personally preferred the indoor swimming pool. It was tucked at one end of the hotel and more quiet.

As for our lunch, we were decided to dine at the hotel since we were left with only an hour to go to Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre. We went to Terrace Cafe and it once again we were the only ones. Maybe we lunched too late around 4pm I guess. Their menu had different cuisines. We chose to stick with their traditional Indo cuisine. I chose their famous Ayam Penyet and my hubby chose Fried Rice. The portions were rather small and the chicken was very bland. The food was pricey too. We paid around SGD$30 for our two dishes alone without any drinks.

After lunch, we took the hotel transport to Nagoya Hills Shopping Centre. The journey took around 50mins which we did not expect. I then found that the shopping area is kinda far away from the hotel itself, but the good point is that the hotel lies 5 mins away from the ferry terminal. You could just walk over if you wanted.

Nagoya Shopping Hills was kinda boring. The only joint we could relate to almost immediately was JCO donuts. You cannot find big brands here. Most of the shops carry very cheap stuff and fake branded goods. The food joints are mostly their own franchises. We did have coffee and some toast which cost us $5. We did not buy anything as we could find the same stuff at better price and quality in Singapore. We only bought some bottled water from their Hypermart while being there. We had dinner at A&W, something we cannot find in Singapore. We went crazy over their root beer float! It was too good even after all these years.

The second day at the hotel, the buffet spread for breakfast was pretty amazing. We had many varieties to choose from. And the chefs kept topping up the trays of food once it runs out.

We checked out at 2pm and were taken to the ferry terminal by hotel transport. We were glad we did not have to spend a cent on transport which saved our pockets extra money for a magnum at the ferry terminal. Lol.

Overall, I would say that you could only stay 2days and 1night and not more than that cos you can be bored. And the shopping places are far away from the hotel. But if you want some quiet ambience and better quality, i would strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful and very detailed feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city centre a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We are pleased that you also experienced our bedding concept which is one of the hallmarks from Holiday Inn. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Frank Schoenherr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

a nice value for money place to laze by the poolside. if u are looking for a hotel with a sandy beachfront, this is not the one

hotel is located in a corner of the island. in case u are bored, hotel has free shuttle to nagoya hill for some shopping and massage. wish they have more shuttle trips on the weekdays

breakfast is good! food in hotel restaurant is expensive by batam standard

room is simply great, couldn't have ask for more (at the price i am paying). room is spacious, bed is comfortable (slumberland).......sofa looks a bit aged........... notice that part of the hotel is under renovation, i supposed the newly renovated rooms will be even better. although hotel is old, it's well maintained

cheers...........

Room Tip: ask for smoking room which is on the higher floor and rooms facing the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our hotel during your visit to Batam and the time you took to give us you valuable feedback. Although you might have expected a beach we are pleased with your comments regarding our services, especially the room size and bed comfort. Please be assured that your comments have been shared already with the team. Once again thank you very much for being patron of our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

The first time I stayed here was in 2007 and since then I didn't even look at other hotels in Batam. I've been coming back to Holiday Inn Batam every year for a spa getaway and last year was the most frequent. 3 times!

I have tried other spa but nothing could beat Tea Tree Spa here. Engaging the same spa therapist a few times, made the getaway more comfortable and meaningful. Like coming back to meet a friend, as we share updates. Although I miss the refreshing towels upon arrival at the Balinese-inspired spa. It's just a little something for ua to freshen up.

Besides the spa, the rooms are spacious even the 1 bedroom suite. The bed and pillows are comfortable but I realise the pillow menu is missing. Something which I thought was unique during the first couple of years I was there.

Service staff are amazing....from frontdesk staff, spa therapists, concierge, restaurant staff. To be greeted Welcome Back and Welcome Home by a few staff, makes me feel really at home.

Breakfast spread - I recalled there was more variety in the past and there used to be a wide selection of tea. I am not a huge eater so this was not a major concern for me. It is getting crowded recently (good business for the hotel, but I miss the quiet breakfast I used to have) so do get up early to get a good seat!

Scheduled shuttle service is provided to Nagoya which is great as taking a taxi would cost about S$14 one way. If you are not a shopper and simply want a spa getaway like me, this would be an excellent choice. Otherwise, opt for hotels in Nagoya.

To be recognised as a Priority Club Member upon check-in (with some perks) in my last 2 visits was also something welcoming.

Room Tip: I prefer top floors. I don't really like the first floor facing the pool due to noise level of g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort during all your visits in Batam and the wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with our team. We hope the next time you come you will find time again to take advantage of all our services which our Tea Tree Spa is offering. Here we are working on several new promotions to come out soon. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts about the towels, the breakfast and the pillow menu. We hope to welcome you back as one of our regular Priority Club members very soon.

Semarang, Indonesia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Stayed at Holiday Inn Resort Batam for 2 nights in a 2-bedroom suite. Upon check-in to the rooms, I was pleasantly surprised that it is more like a mini apartment rather than a hotel room. The room consists of a living room with sofas, a dining area, a balcony and two bedrooms. It is really spacious for 3 adults occupancy. I like that the rooms are spacious and clean. However, the curtains can get a little dusty so I thought it will be good if they change or clean it regularly.

The hotel is located near Waterfront Ferry Terminal, which is approximately 10 minutes away by car. However, if your main purpose is to go to the city center for shopping or entertainments then it will be a little far and not convenient for you as city centre is approximately half an hour away.

Holiday Inn Batam has several inhouse restaurant. Tried the Terrace Cafe for buffet breakfast and Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant for dinner. The buffet spread was good and the food there was really sumptuous as compared to some other hotels that I have stayed in the area. There is also a convenience store located at the resort lobby.

Plenty of facilities in the resort ranging from swimming pool, ktv lounge, bar with pool table, games room, gym and spa. Tried the swimming pool which was really huge and great for a weekend relaxation.

Staffs were also friendly, accommodating and attentive. They are efficient as well when I called up the Front Desk to ask for bedroom slippers which are not available in the room. Slippers are delivered promptly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As you mentioned although we are not located in the city center a lot of guests are commending the resort feeling while staying with us. We are pleased that you also experienced our comprehensive Food & Beverage options. Thank you as well for sharing the comment regarding the curtains. Currently we are in the process to replace them. We are apologizing for the inconveniences this may have caused. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam.

Redhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

I spent a weekend after visiting friends in Singapore. The pool resort in the middle of the hotel is amazing. I am a priority club member and my room was upgraded to a suite. We attempted to travel around batam which was disappointing. I wish i stayed inside the hotel resort longer. Room rates are very affordable. Perfect for a weekend getaway! I would definitely come back!

Stayed March 2012
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team. As one of our valuable Priority Club members obviously it gives us a great honour to be compared with other IHG hotels. We are looking forward welcoming you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam and hope that the next time you can even more enjoy all the facilities.

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had a 2D1N stay with my boyfriend and it was more than perfect!

The resort looks amazing and the staff there are very polite and friendly. They can speak simple english and that was good enough. We had a poolview bedroom suite and it was beautiful. I requested for a change of my spa time and it was done for me immediately. Only thing was that I was given a 2 single bed when I requested previously via my travel agent, JA Travel to make sure that I was given a king size bed room. Nevertheless, the room was still up to expectations. I love love love the sofa because it was so soft and comfy. We had our lunch at Dragon Inn Chinese Restaurant which was inside the resort. Their porridge and dimsum was nice and delicious.

Tea Tree Spa was really not a disappointment. You can enjoy the jacuzzi and sauna as well. The hotel is facilitated with gym, in house clinic and a nice swimming pool too. The alacarte food at Terrace Cafe was not very nice, just average. Buffet breakfast was awesome tho.

Hotel arrange cabs to bring you to your destination too. We went to Nagoya Hill Shopping Mall and it was SGD$16/trip. The cab (not the normal cab you flag on the streets) was very comfortable and the driver was very friendly. We got him to pick us up at 7pm after our shopping.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a relax getaway.

However, upon our arrival to Singapore,we realised that the room charges was charged to my boyfriend's credit card when the front desk said the credit card was just for guarantee purposes. I had already made payment before going on the trip via JA Travel and they imposed a duplicate charge on the credit card. I hope the resort could be more careful in this matter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for choosing our resort during your visit in Batam and the great feedback which we are glad to share with the entire team. We are also happy to hear that our Tea Tree Spa service met your expectations and and our restaurants have contributed to your relaxed stay. Please be assured that we are already taking a look into your additional comments to further enhance all our services. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here for only 1 night, wish it had been many more. The resort is stunning and the staff are very helpful and polite. We had the BBQ buffet on the night we arrived which was delicious. The buffet breakfast in the morning was also fabulous. Our room was much larger than we had expected and was very grand. Everything about this stay was fabulous. All the facilities are also very good. Oh and the mattress was one of the comfiest I've ever slept on.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
ResortBatam, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Batam, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear guest, thanks for this wonderful feedback which we are glad to share with the team especially in the beginning of a new year. We are pleased that you experienced the BBQ dinner and also our new mattresses which you can find now across all refurbished Holiday Inns. It will be our pleasure to welcome you again in our Holiday Inn Resort Batam and hope the next time you can spend some more days for relaxing.

Frank Schoenherr

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Batam? Share your experiences!