“Great for a short stay....extras and food are expensive.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Resort Batam

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Resort Batam to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Resort Batam
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterfront City, Sekupang, Riau Islands Province 29422, Indonesia   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Members Exclusive:25% Off
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Sekupang
Binfield, United Kingdom
“Great for a short stay....extras and food are expensive.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Holiday Inn Batam

Came to Batam for a 5 night stay to escape the extraordinary expense of Singapore hotels, which seem to be universally more expensive than London in Olympic year!

I chose the Holiday Inn as I have  Platinum membership of priority club...for this year at least. The hotel was booked at the last minute and an email was sent asking for a pick up from the ferry. The hotel replied and seemed to suggest hey would meet us but upon arrival there was no one there. A taxi was then used for he 20 minute ride from Sekupang to the hotel.

Check in was a problem as the reservation was apparently made for he day before, I have to take some responsibility for this, however the booking was made on the hotels own site at at 3am local time, how it could then book a room for the previous day I am not sure but it did. It took the receptionist about 25 minutes to resolve and get us off to our rooms.

Status was recognised but nothing tangible was offered by the hotel. Reference was made to a free newspaper, a turn down service and 15 minutes extra in the spa. Nothing  ever materialised and once again the priority club failed to deliver any meaningful benefits.

Reception is a grand affair with a huge sweeping staircase and gives the hotel a sense of grandure but that is where it starts and ends.

Rooms are located in several blocks around a large tropical pool area, our room was in block 4 and on the 3rd floor. It was a two bedroom suite with separate sitting area. I had hoped for something higher up but it was not offered and I had not been aware of the hotels layout before checking in.

Our room was clean though a bit tired but for the price paid, around £80/US$125 a night including breakfast it would be hard to complain. There were two bathrooms and two flat screen TVs, one in the sitting room and one in the main bedroom. The sitting area also had a dining table and four chairs plus minibar. The was free tea and coffee and some mineral water that was replenished each day.The second bedroom and two single beds making it perfect for a family. There was air conditioning to each room but not the bathrooms and it was fierce. The room also benefits from a balcony with a view over the pool.

Breakfast was included and the food on offer was perfectly acceptable. The buffet provided hot western and Asian food as well as a good selection of cereal, pastries and breads. The coffee was very good indeed prepared using a coffee machine on an individual basis. How they would do this when busy I cannot tell but as the hotel was very quiet service was not an issue.

The hotel has tennis courts,table tennis, bikes and a separate lap pool. There was a games rooms that always seemed closed and when we did ask to use it discovered there was a  charge!

There were a wide range of food outlets including Japanese, Thai, Chinese, and the coffee shop. Food quality could not be faulted but prices were exhorbitant. In particular the price a children's food and drink with milkshakes 3 times the cost of coke.  Even sharing lunch the bill was never less than $50US and this was outrageous. Dinner was worse with bills averaging US$80 without alcohol.

My issue main issue with food is this is a Holiday Inn, but it is the first Holiday Inn I have used that does not have kids eat free programme. Now this is not always very good as the menu can often be ' anything with chips' and there is rarely a vegetable in site. However why this is not standard across all hotels I just do not understand.

Neither is free WIFI which in the USA is universally free but not everywhere else and the rules are not clear. This type of product differentiation is frustrating and it extends also to the other priority club benefits.

Wifi was available in the lobby but never worked anywhere else in the hotel. There was cable in the room however I have an iPad and had not brought the connector, in any event the  costs  were ludicrous in a resort hotel. You cannot even access the ICHG web pages to make bookings and that is simply bad business!

The staff were universally friendly and helpful and that meant a lot, from the receptionist who checked us in, to the pool attendant who provide my son with plasters and the staff in the restaurant, they were very good indeed.

My main concern was that i was seen as revenue on the hoof rather than a guest and the attempts to charge for every conceivable extra was irritating. The kids wanted to us ethe games room while we waited for mum to get dressed for dinner. The hotel wanted $5 an hour per item they wished to use and that was ridiculous.  The games included air hockey, pool a wi and an x box.

This type of greedy approach is common in hotels in Asia and in Indonesia. I am at a loss to explain it as in most other respects they are very hospitable and eager to please. I have even found some hotels, thou not this one where they charge for access to gyms and sports facilities.

This hotel has a great spa and the treatments were reasonably priced. The is also a sauna and steam room for both men and women and a jacuzzi which is shared.

The area immediately around the hotel is very run down and one night we went to what we were told was waterfront city. It is a series of bars and whilst the staff were all helpful and charming (and the food cheap) I did not think it an appropriate place for young children and we did not go back..........the rats, clearly visible on the walk back to the hotel did not help.

The hotel charged us for the 45 second taxi ride to this area without telling us we could walk in 2 minutes.

Overall a good hotel for a short stay, I simply could not imagine being here for more that 5 days. The hotel is comfortable, the food good but the prices a high.

The are no real benefits for being a platinum priority club member here and this is now a significant issue for me and a very considerable deterrent from continuing with Priority club. Indeed it will be difficult to retain my membership this year.

There is a lack of consistency to the offer and to the rewards. Compared to Hilton for example who now offer free WIFI to all gold cad holders and above worldwide and free breakfast. They endeavour to upgrade to a club or executive room and so far with 100% success rate for me. When they cannot, breakfast is still free. Priority club offer nothing like this and unless you have ambassador status with Intercontinental you will not find many benefits consistently delivered at any of the ICHG hotels be they Indigo, Crowne Plaza holiday Inn or whatever. Each hotel makes it own rules leading to confusion and in the end, few if any benefits.

Room Tip: Food prices are high and no kids eat free!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012 via mobile

ok..we stayed there twice on March 2011 and July 2011.. and each time we stayed there for 4D/3N..we went there in big groups 8 Adults and 6 young kids (aged 1yr-4yrs)..the kids really enjoyed themself at pool wif slides and also the huge rooms! booked 4 suites rooms.& to our surprise 2 of the rooms we upgraded to 2bdroom suite..their service is great..good breakfast..clean room..and everytime we went there its off peak..so the plus point is..u feel at home everything to urself...hehe..the room service is quite prompt and the place is well kept...its great for families travelling wif kids as theres game room and kids corner ($5 half day). my big family are looking forward for our next visit there..

• Stayed July 2011
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

The pool seals the deal. We got four kids, and the slides and little-ball means we can laze around the pool all day long (if it is up to the kids to plan our itinerary).

We got a twin room facing the pool. It comes with a hall, we do appreciate the spaciousness.
We are traveling with two adults and 4 young kids.

Love the daily breakfast, but lunch and dinner are too expensive. Batam charge in Singapore dollars, and each meal in the restaurant will set you back by $15 to $20 (per person).

As Holiday inn is out of town, it is 30min to city centre, via hotel's free transfer.
1/2 day city tour should be enough for those who wish to explore more.

Some travellers (likely Singaporeans) will lament the lack of shopping facilities and restaurant near Holiday Inn. (correction, there is none !)
I would not go swimming at the sea, the sand is not pristine condition.

If you are looking for a short getaway from Singapore, 3D2N should be more than enough at Batam. If we are going again, it will still be the water slides at Holiday Inn !

Read our 4D3N full review here -->

Room Tip: Request for pool facing room. Kids will love it.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012 via mobile

I recently stayed in 2 bedroom suite on weekend and found rooms spacious but kitchenette was missing . The property is good and looks pretty attractive from outside while indoors corridors are not very well maintained . Anyway this seems best option in Batam and is value for money atleast . Some major issues i found was that our rooms wash basin was choked , we left the plates outside the room which was not collected till we checked out next day . This is good for short trip with right price and near the waterfront ferry terminal

• Stayed January 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed in at this resort during the Chinese New Year weekend in January 2011. I loved the pleasant surroundings of this resort. It is quiet at most times except the pool area in the morning, and seemed to be well-maintained. Check-in was smooth and the staff are very friendly and helpful. It was a pleasant surprise to receive a simple welcome drink of guava juice at the check-in counter - its little touches like this that make a hotel experience great.

Our room was HUGE! Seriously, I could fit in my husband and myself, as well as 3 kids! It had a small kitchen, a big sofa (which er, smells a bit) and TV area and a great king-sized bed. I loved the room plus its comfortable and homely.

But what spoilt it for me was the awful water drainage in the toilet. If you take a shower or bath, and the water goes through the faucet, it overflows under the sink area... and then you come to the realisation that you are walking around in your own liquified filth. We placed towels on the floor to soak up the water, but the bathroom floor was still wet after several hours. This sort of spoils it for me, in what would otherwise have been an almost perfect stay.

The restaurant food was above average but slightly on the costly side. I liked their pizza and my husband liked the lunch buffet. But generally yes, there isn't much to do around the resort without incurring a cost (other than swimming) plus the location isn't good. There are shuttle bus services to the shopping malls, but these get booked fast during the holiday season.

I would stay at this hotel again, but only during the low-peak season where I can swim without bumping into someone. :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

I spent my chinese new year with my family at holiday inn batam during the Chinese New Year for 3 day 2 nights.
We reached at the hotel, I spent about 30 mins to check in with only 2 persons ahead of the queue.
When I entered the room, I found out that there were no towels, toothpaste and toothbrushes provided. I called up the room service to ask for towels, it took them 2 hours to be delivered.
I went to the convenience to buy a toothbrush, a toothpaste, 2 bowls of instant noodles and 2 big bottles of mineral water, they cost me SGD$25.
Had our lunch at the cafeteria, the price was exorbitant with SGD$60 for a nasi ayam penyet, a currry chicken and a milkshake. Both the dishes tasted awful.
As there was nothing much for us to do, we decided to go for a swim. The water was slightly dirty and our skin felt sticky after the swim.
Next day, we reserved 3 seats to Nagoya Hill Shopping Centre. The mall is big but relatively nothing to shop.
Therefore, given a choice, I will not return to this hotel in future.
Pros - all the staff able to communicate in English, rooms are clean, provide free transport to shopping malls.
Cons - price of food is expensive, no towels provided, aircon very noisy, service is slow, view is poor.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Stayed in a 2 bedroom suite with 4 other friends in Dec 2011.

Room had a living and dining area, very spacious. Living area had a TV with USB port available on the TV. Too bad we didn't bring any hardisks.

Two bedrooms:
1. Master bedroom
This was the better room of the two. It was great! Clean and fairly spacious with a King sized bed. A second TV available in the room with a bedside alarm clock which doubles as an iPhone charger and speaker as it has a dock which you can dock your phone. Ensuite bathroom was very clean and spacious with bathtub.

2. Other bedroom
This room had 2 single beds and a writing desk. Nothing special about it.

The breakfast selection was very wide. Good breakfast. Pool looked great but we never used it. Wifi reception only available at lobby area but signal wasn't too great.
Overall we were happy to have stayed here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Resort Batam? Share your experiences!