“Good Food. Good Bear. Good Price.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: English, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Bolton, Lancashire
“Good Food. Good Bear. Good Price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

The Jolly Crofter's is nothing more than a typical English Pub. That being said, I am frequent lunch time visitor - you can guarantee quick service of food which is what you need at lunchtime (if you are working). Other pubs in the area are very hit-and-miss on timing. The Fish & Chips are excellent and always taste very good and freshly made. There is also always a fine selection of Real Ales be they from Bolton's own Bank Top Brewery or other local brew houses such as Northern Brewing or Moorhouse. They are a member of a pub group (can't recall which one) that offers free membership to a Diamond Club that gives additional food promotions. I always go in for lunch but, Quiz nights, football games and occassional entertainments are also advertised.

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“But I would go back…”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

I read the reviews posted here the day before I visited the pub with friends, and I must admit that I had my reservations. I was there at a mid-week lunchtime and it was reasonably quiet though others arrived while we ate, but it was never even nearly full. Being a group of ‘old codgers’ from sixty-three to well over eighty, we took advantage of Diamond Club membership for a good deal, though this seemed to reduce our options from the menu.

I had a stuffed mushroom starter which was quite good, though it was spoiled a little by the garnish (rocket salad) which looked very sad and dull as if it had been left on a hot plate awaiting the mushrooms. It also lacked any sort of dressing which might have improved it. The mushrooms, though, were well cooked and the breadcrumb stuffing was crisp and pleasant (many such breadcrumb stuffings are soggy and often cheese or garlic then makes them overpowering).

My main course was fish and chips (at the recommendation of one of my friends and one of the reviews). The fish was freshly cooked, well prepared and presented, and of adequate proportions, but it was of a quality available in many restaurants and by no means ‘cordon bleu’. The chips were good but not exceptional. The mushy peas were very good.

The liquid refreshment was John Smith's bitter and the total cost was more than reasonable.

The service was reasonably quick and pleasant, but there were only four of us and I cannot say how a larger party might find it.

By and large I would say that it was value for money and it is a pub I would visit again for a lunch with friends, though I would hesitate to celebrate something special there as the menu seemed quite ordinary with nothing available that shouted out that it was a house speciality. I also have to express further disappointment in the menu. I have been in pubs in this scheme before, particularly the one in Sevenoaks. The menu seems to have become much reduced and much less adventurous in the couple of years since then...but I would go back...

Visited March 2012
Bolton, United Kingdom
“A few people clearly have a grudge...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

My folks have dined here for many years with family AND friends, and I can atest that both the ambiance AND the food has ALWAYS been impeccable. I've read the petty and small minded 'MOB' reviews that clearly seem to have been orchestrated to ruin this 'FINE' establishments reputation and quite frankly, in my opinion, it's VERY sad indeed. I have to say that everything on the menu sounds delicious, and can honestly say that the 'Fish and Chips' are the finest that I have ever tasted.

Ao do yourself a favour; ignore the narrow minded grudge posse and stop by any weekday for a delicious lunch!

p.s. the comments about the toilets etc are completely unfounded - and VERY childish - GROW UP!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012 via mobile

Rhis used to be a very busy pub great for food but when u go in the Blundell Arms a bit up the road and it's an hour wait to get a table yet in here you walk in and its empty , you know why! Terrible staff, leaks with paper coming off the walls, smell from loos , old decor tables and chairs tells it all. Poor staff and food say it all. We won't be going back !

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Best fish and chips”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

I read negative reviews but still gave it a chance. Well pleased, The fish and chips were brilliant. Fish obviously cooked to order, large portions and tasty. No problems when we went!!

• Visited August 2011