“Good for the price we got.” 4 of 5 stars

Parklane Motor Lodge
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   222 Greenlane West, Epsom, New Zealand   |
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Epsom
india
“Good for the price we got.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We booked pretty early, got a gr8 rate as we compared with many others, stayed there 3 different times during our 21 day NZ end to end drive holiday. The ladies at the reception were wonderful, the best part of the place, helped with all information we wanted, ensured everything worked and we were comfortable, not that we were demanding. The room was OK, the bed a little too soft, sagging springs, but OK for a coupe of night. The towels clean, the kitchen as expected and overall positive experience. The bread toaster did not work on the first day, we informed the reception and they replaced it pronto. We did find one small cockroach in the kitchenette and nuked it with hot water :) hot water was plenty everywhere, every time you turned the taps on. The pool behind the room, not much, we did not use it, but would be just enough to do a dip and cool off. Location was OK, restaurants a 5 mt walk away, not too noisy and rooms away form the road to be quiet.

Room Tip: We took room no 7 all 3 different times, OK for us, could work for you too.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
ParklaneMotorLodge, Manager at Parklane Motor Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to do a review of our property, the ground floor rooms in the middle of the property are the most sought after as you can sit outside beside the pool area and unwind, many thanks for your continued patronage and we look forward to seeing you again soon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

I was booked in for 4 nights and stayed 1.
The staff here are fantastic - but that is where this nice little story ends!
When I found my room which was a labyrinth in itself, I immediately notice how run down the room was. The couch had a cut that looked like someone had put a knife through it down the right armrest. I dropped my bags and went straight to the bed to pull the covers off (I travel a lot and always check the bed first), on the pillows was mascara from the lady (or man) the night before, and hair (not the head kind) on the sheets. I thought to myself I can cope with this, until 2 hours later when putting my bathroom stuff away, the soap from the last person was still in the shower. Thats when I went to see the lovely ladies at reception and asked to be moved. She was very sorry and moved me straight away - to another nightmare. After unpacking, I put my tea bags on top of the microwave, boiled the jug and walked away. 5 mins later went back to find 2 cockroaches had made themselves at home on my tea bags. After talking about it with my friend, decided that I would spend the night and check out in the morning. I called at 9.50pm and told them that I wouldn't be staying. She totally understood and was very sorry.
I think if this place didn't have the wonderful staff, it would have closed years ago. If I owned a hotel/motel, these 2 girls would be working for me.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
ParklaneMotorLodge, Manager at Parklane Motor Lodge, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
We once again apologise as the first room you walked into had not been cleaned due to a miscommunication between desk and housekeeping, and as soon as you notified us of a cockroach problem we had the pest controllers in to spray the units, we were unaware of a cockroach issue until advised by you, I hope that you will consider using us again and we would really appreciate another chance to accommodate you.
nz
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Pre booked a room direct to find when arriving they had change the room from type arranged even though they had confirmed special request by email. I don't like to put establishments down but house keeping beyond par, people in reception nice enough but lots of attention to detail in rooms lacking, such a shame as this could be a good four star facility with a bit more work and better training of staff etc. wont list all the problems as it would seem like I am a real moaner but we wont be back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns, we pride ourselves on our customer service and are continuously up skilling our staff in all aspects of our expectations of cleanliness and service for our guests
Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

To get straight to the point, when you pay $166 for one nights accommodation, you expect to be able to have a hot shower - not so. The room and facilities felt dirty and uncared for, dated and in desperate need of maintenance as it was mouldy, damp and the heater we had on all night during spring. The fridge still had the previous guests food in it, the hob had mangy food all over the knobs that hadn't been cleaned off and the when letting the owner know about the hot water situation, all she had to say was, well there would of been at least 50 showers taking place that morning and yes they do have issues with getting enough hot water around the place. The bedroom has dome windows that let all the light in, so a sleep in was out of the question and as for the bathroom, it felt like something out of a sci-fi movie - illuminated yellow domes as windows that make everything change colour, the white bathtub was a manky yellow tinge, the shower was in an awkward situation and would have to say is the worst shower I've found anywhere in any accommodation I've ever stayed at, it just dribbled out and you had to be careful to not to let the water go everywhere as it was placed in the middle of the bathtub not at one end which would give more room for actually showering. Have stayed in many places, and never felt the need to write a review before now.

Couldn't wait to get home! Very misleading. On the plus ... Great location as we needed to be in one tree hill.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Many thanks Geoff for your review I once again apologise for the shower hot water as it was over the one of our busiest weekends and with every room showering at the same time i had adjusted the hot water temperature but this couldnt be avoided, the yellow dome covering in the bathroom is so the guests above cannot see into your unit, this is what gives the bath etc a yellow appearance
We are sorry that the room didnt meet your expectations
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

After a 37 hour total transit time ABZ-LHR-DBX-MEL-AUK this was our first New Zealand terrestrial stopover. We'd decided not to hire a self drive car from the airport based on the tiredness level we expected from the journey and as the hotel is about 16 KM from the airport it is easily and quickly accessible via taxi. Reception and checkin was quick, friendly and very helpful. For our 2 night recuperation stopover, we'd reserved a penthouse suite with spa. The room was spacious and the facilities were as described. The sleep was comfortable. The spa really requires a full service and internal pipework cleaning & maintenance. The sleeping facilities are tired and require a much more frequent servicing& replacement strategy. The hotel ring fences a holding deposit of $200 and I suspect this may be warranted and also explain ( in part ) the service level of the room,although not completely.
The hotel is about 6.5 KM from the CBD and very close to outer link 'orange route' bus transport services providing 1way services for a maximum of $3.40 per person. It is in a well serviced location and easily accessible.

The hotel externally is reasonably maintained, the hotel staff were extremely helpful and friendly. Overall rating brought down by our room's standard, which is a shame as it is refreshing to find such helpful friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback, we are currently working towards replacing our spa baths in every unit, we are sorry our motel did not reach your expectations and we can work towards improvements with the help of guests feedback
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I booked for 20 nights and stayed for 19 nights. It was a business trip.This must be one of the coolest motels I have ever visited. It is directly across the road from the Auckland Alexandra Park.The lady at the desk was very helpful. The room was clean, and luxurious. The room roof was partially transparent and excellent day light was there inside the room during day time obviously :)

Room Tip: Excellent location and cool accomodation
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ParklaneMotorLodge, Manager at Parklane Motor Lodge, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you so much for the great feedback the room you booked was a penthouse spa with the sky-dome roof, these are very popular because of the privacy and the layout of the unit, we look forward to seeing you back again soon, we try to make every guest feel valued as soon as they walk in our doors.
Taupo, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We booked for 4 nights and stayed for 2. This must be one of the noisiest motels we have ever visited caused, we hasten to add, not by any fault of the proprietors but by the antics of other guests directly overhead. At 4.00am after a visit (no doubt to Clubland) the noisy guests returned - high heels clicking on the stairs outside, very audible use of the toilet and shower above our heads and equally audible romantic use of a squeaky bed, then another shower at 5.30am. The second night a second and different drunken group returned, this time at 2.00am with similar noises etc.
Admittedly, management were extremely sorry we were inconvenienced. It was the weekend, there was a race meeting at Alexandra Park across the road and yes - they did get up to see what was going on. Will we go back? Maybe. The motel is old and needs an update but the Managers were friendly and helpful we felt a bit sorry for them.

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room - at the back if possible.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you both for being so understanding about this and that we were able to have a laugh about it, I thought the guests would have been embarrassed enough when I went up there the first time, but I guess they were still celebrating maybe after a win on the horses, hopefully we will see you both again and we will make sure you get a room up the back of the property

Been to Parklane Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!