“Unique and Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Unique and Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I purchased a Groupon deal for a two-night stay, which I used in early June. The drive up was beautiful and upon reaching the inn, my initial reaction was like it was very unique. The staff was welcoming and took the time to show us around the inn, which was nice because the layout is a bit confusing. The inn is actually much smaller in person than in the pictures, but even so, it is still a great spot. We stayed in the outlook room, which is supposed to be the most popular room and aesthetically, it was unique, cozy, and comfortable. We even had a private deck and it seems as though most rooms do. The only thing that was not preferable was the bathroom not being all in one room. The toilet was in one small room and the sink and bathtub were outside. The rooms also do not have TVS, which I am not accustomed to. Despite that, the room still gets 5 stars.

There are many restaurants in the area within 15-20 minutes driving distance. The staff gave us great recommendations for food. Our activities consisted mostly of outdoor activities, such as hiking, and sightseeing and the area is perfect for it. If you are looking for a unique, fun, and relaxing experience, this is definitely the place to go.

Green Features: This is an extraordinarily green hotel, which I love and respect!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

67 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked a night here for a Christmas present. The Inn is very cool; I've never seen anything like it - almost wished we had waited until the summer so that we could take advantage of everything. Overall, the place is very clean and a unique experience.

Couple of things to know - follow the rules. There is an email sent out before you get there... read it! Also, tour your room on the website. We had 2 chairs and a bed in a loft - fine for what we needed (we tried to check in at 1:30p, but you can't until 4p, so we left an came back after dinner @ 8:15p), but there is no *room* in your room to hang out. You are really encouraged to mingle in the common areas (not my thing, personally).

Their use of wood & solar energy was great, but our sleeping enjoyment was marred by this - there should be a fan (or two!) in each room. Several times throughout the night, an alarm went off in our room because it went below 70 degrees. (We had to leave the door cracked for an hour just to breathe). Yikes! The kitchen thermostat read 86 degrees in the morning. Speaking of the kitchen, it was great to have available, but as a B&B, I was hoping for a homemade breakfast... the website outlines what is actually provided, so just don't get your hopes up (cereal, instant oatmeal, yogurt...).

I would add fans in the bedrooms and have lotion available (because it's so dry in the winter + living quarters of 70+ degrees). The soap and shower gel smelled delicious and was local - thank you! We wanted to use the hottub and sauna, but 2 guys were already in it. It's there, though, and that's a perk!

We appreciate what you're doing for our environment and hope you continue to be successful.

• Stayed April 2014
Sean L, General Manager at A Stone Wall Inn, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thanks for staying and we appreciate your feedback. I am sorry we were not able to check you in when you arrived. With a staff of one (myself) there are obviously many tasks to attend to at a property like ours. As I mentioned when you arrived, I was cleaning a chimney that day which put me a bit behind on cleaning rooms. As one might imagine, only heating with wood and solar presents other challenges guests might not think of, and with the safety of all guests in mind, we regularly clean the flues ourselves, and have them professionally completed annually. We always have the rooms ready by our check-in time (4pm) but with other tasks that pop up, we cannot guarantee rooms will be ready before hand.

I know you stayed in April, which tends to be a tricky month of the year for heating with only wood and solar; as the outside temperature is not static, and can range anywhere from the high 70’s, to below 0, in our area of Vermont. It was an average April day here in Vermont during your stay, which is why I was cleaning the chimney then. However, after cleaning it was necessary to start a fire in the wood stove to ensure a good draw through the flue. The fire, in combination with the ambient temperature, is what made the temperature in the kitchen rise to 86 degrees (that particular thermostat always shows the maximum temperature in the last 24 hours– so when you came down in the morning and saw 86 that was actually the temperature at around 3pm the day before – and its distance from the woodstove tends to throw it off by a number of degrees)

You will be delighted to know, we generally have fans in the rooms. Our rooms are equipped with Dyson bladeless fans. We know many people like to have a fan on just for air circulation, or even for the white noise while sleeping. Unfortunately, just before your stay, we received notification from Dyson, that a number of the same types of fans we use had resulted in malfunctions (and fires) and we had to send some units back to the manufacturer for replacement. I apologize that they were not available for use during your stay; while we strive to have replacements for most items on hand, this is something we didn’t foresee, and as a result had no extras.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and hope to see you again soon.
Waltham, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

I don't think it is an insult to say average. It was in a decent location for skiing, had free parking, and hot water. And breakfast was free. The innkeeper was pleasant and friendly.

I booked this room off of a deal and had limited time to use it. And had limited selection of rooms. That is not the fault of the Inn.

We stayed in the pond view room. The description of the inn indicates that they do not use fossil fuels to heat the rooms. It does not indicate that you have no control over the temperature of your room. Our bed was located in a loft area that was so hot while we were sleeping, we tried to open a window. The windows don't open. It was unpleasant, but manageable when we cracked open our patio door. A necessity since I have a cold and couldn't breathe otherwise.

Our seating area was small and slightly uncomfortable, but we didn't spend much time in the room. What could make it better would be a rug on the floor of our seating area. The grounds are covered in sand for traction. But with no rug in our room, the floor got covered in dirt and salt and we had nowhere to sit/stand without the floor being filthy. Our upstairs was just a platform bed with sloped ceiling, so hanging out up there wasn't an option. A rug would fix that.

The email I got from the Inn the day before we were to check in was a bit off-putting.

My advice: book if you are willing to give up some comfort to minimize environmental impact. And understand exactly what that means.

• Stayed March 2014
Sean L, General Manager at A Stone Wall Inn, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Thanks for the comments regarding your stay.

Yes, it’s completely accurate that guests have no control over the temperature of the room. Keeping this pleasant homeostatic environment with only solar and wood heating is not as simple as turning a dial on a thermostat, and it has taken us many years of trial and error to keep all the spaces of the building at a reasonable temperature; it would be very difficult for a guest to figure out in a few days what took us years to be able to do. Because of the lack of fossil fuels, we have temperature sensors throughout the buildings and rooms that communicate with the office computers and alert us to any temperature extremes. We do this to both ensure a reasonable temperature for our guests, and also to prevent damages, such as pipes freezing. During the course of your stay, the maximum temperature in your room was 70.6 degrees. I’m fairly certain that this is the very definition of “room temperature.” However, I will point out that you put the infrastructure of the building in harms way by keeping your door open all night (when the outside temperature dropped down to 1 degree).

It was a little disheartening when I checked in with you about the low temperature alarm going off, and you just sort of shrugged like it was no big deal. From a guest standpoint, I was concerned with your comfort. If your room was sweltering hot, (which at 70.6 degrees, it certainly was not) we could have found a better solution. Also, I’m not sure how opening an external door on a 1 degree evening is a remedy for the common cold. I checked the Doctors Book of Home Remedies, but couldn’t find a solid answer.

Additionally, I shudder to think of the damages that could have been caused, and to the displacement of other guests, if water lines had frozen and/or burst because of that. I’ll also point out that if you were this uncomfortable, you should have come to see me. I live here. I would have made every effort to make your stay more relaxing, within reason.

Regarding the floors in your sitting area, most people enjoy the parquet wood flooring we have in many rooms. Many guests choose to wipe their feet of sand and salt before entering the main spaces of the building, and generally what doesn’t come off there, comes off before even reaching their room when walking through the hall. In any case, I’m not sure how a rug would have solved the problem. Wouldn’t the same sand/salt you mentioned being on the wood floor, then just be smashed into carpet fibers? Carpets are a heck of a lot harder to clean, and usually necessitates the use of harsh chemicals; something we frown on here at the inn, as they usually end up in the drain, and then leeching into the soil, potentially spoiling the amazing plants in our gardens.

I’m sorry if you found our pre-arrival email off-putting. It simply relays 4 important pieces of information: A copy of your confirmation, How to access the building, Check-in times, and directions. Many people are not accustomed to a bed and breakfast, and sometimes they expect a 24 hour front office. That is not the case, we a one or two person operation (depending on the day) and we are simply not sitting by a computer or telephone all day. Like most bed and breakfasts, we ask your anticipated arrival time, so we can be sure we greet you expeditiously. The piece about directions to the inn is intentionally snarky, as we continuously receive guests who ignore our directions in favor of using their GPS to find us, and then get angry when their GPS gets them lost. We have tried many other methods of getting this point across, with little luck. We simply want people to arrive here safely, and most importantly, happy and ready to relax.

In closing, I’m glad you enjoyed your stay. I’m sorry that some things didn’t meet your needs. But I’ll remind you for future stays, here or elsewhere, if you are having an issue, talk to the staff about it. It’s much easier to work toward a remedy in the moment, rather than complain about it after the fact.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My boyfriend and I stayed for two nights in February as a weekend getaway from Boston and a chance to get in some downhill skiing. The B&B was fairly close to many ski options, and the Innkeeper provides a very helpful list of nearby attractions, including directions to nearby restaurants, ski mountains, etc. The Long House was so unique in construction and quite beautiful and tranquil. The breakfast was a delicious assortment of cereals, fruits, fresh juices, pastries, etc. We are intrigued by the Corner House and might consider renting out with other couples over the summer. Also, we appreciate the dog-friendly nature and would like to bring our dog next time.

Our stay was very quiet & tranquil. We did not hear or see other people other than one or two other couples at breakfast. It was exactly what we needed for our getaway, but others might not want that level of isolation and quietness. We also took advantage of the hot tub but the sauna (and the pool is outdoors and therefore seasonal).

Green Features: Whenever the B&B could utilize a "green" alternative, it did. Eco-friendly toilet paper, etc. Wood stove for heating, passive solar heating, compost bin, etc.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We enjoyed the quick stop at this unique inn and the owners. On the downside, It is esentially a home with many rooms and little privacy. However, it was in a quiet area and we appreciated the home made breakfast. A good alternative to immpersonal hotels.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean L, General Manager at A Stone Wall Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
We’re glad you enjoyed an escape from the impersonal and cookie cutter hotels and gave our bed and breakfast a try. However, a bed and breakfast is exactly what you described: a large home with many rooms. A Stone Wall Inn is no different, as it was, in fact, a home in its previous life. Of the over 17,000 B&Bs in this country, the overwhelming majority are a home and business all rolled into one individual package. So, we’ll just take that as a compliment instead of as a criticism. We pride ourselves on the fact that we provide a unique escape from the ordinary, while encompassing many of the comforts of home. We do understand that a B&B is generally not a place where you can remain anonymous from other guests, given the numerous common spaces we have. We’re sorry we that our inn didn’t entirely meet the mark for you, but we sincerely appreciate the feedback, including the positive feedback. Thanks again!
Unionville, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

A Stonewall Inn has a very unique lay out and design. We enjoyed staying in such a special place and appreciate the length they go to be envirnonmentally conscious. However, that being said, if I were to be honest there were a few things that could be improved. We stayed in the "stargazer" room. From the pictures online and the name of the room, we thought we could see out a window near our bed, but it was frosted glass. It was disappointing and made the bed area feel very cramped. There was a nice big window in the shower, but the steam fogged it up pretty quickly, so no stargazing there. I will say there was a nice deck with a beautiful view. The rooms were toasty when you come in from the cold, but in he middle of the night it was VERY warm, even with the fan on. The rooms are tight, but still cozy. The soaps they provide were very nice and Sean, the manager was very welcoming and warm. Bottom line, it is worth the stay, but there is room for improvement.

• Stayed February 2014
Sean L, General Manager at A Stone Wall Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks for the kind words on the design and our eco-friendly features. Part of both those attributes was putting windows where some might think it odd, but those windows were tucked into areas to ensure natural light (and also passive solar energy) hit each spot, thereby lessening the amount of electricity needed here at the inn. However, if that glass wasn’t frosted, other guests would be able to peek into the lofted bed area, something we don’t think any guest would appreciate.

There is a certain trade off in being heated only with a woodstove and solar energy, and not fossil fuels , in that we can’t turn off the sun, or the woodstove. We think a couple more degrees of warmth in the winter is worth saving the planet for.

The room names were chosen by friends of the owner many years ago while they were giving the inn a “test run”. The room names do fit attributes of the rooms most of the time, but obviously we can’t control when it’s cloudy and when the stars will be visible. While many things may be within our control, try as we might, those pesky laws of physics keep preventing the warm moist air of a shower from condensing on glass exposed to an outside temperature of 5 degrees.

If you didn’t get a chance to see the other rooms during your stay, we have a complete 360 degree virtual tour of the buildings and every interior space, including the rooms, to help you choose your next room. Again, thanks for the review, and we hope to see you again soon.
Berlin, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Staying at the Stone Wall Inn was fantastic! Sean, the manager was kind and thoughtful, the building unique with surprising details around every corner. We stayed in the Pondview Room, which is located at the far end of the building. The bed in the loft was very comfortable with tons of pillows, the shower has amazing smelling, locally produced soap and shampoo. The common room has tons of games and a dock for playing music, as well as comfortable seating for relaxing around the woodstove. The hot tub and sauna were clean (and wonderful after a long day of skiing), and the kitchen, which is available for use by guests, has a wonderful breakfast every morning.

Since we were up for a skiing weekend, we did not get to explore the grounds, but we are looking forward to returning when the weather warms up! Nestled in the Woods of VT, it is quiet and peaceful, but if you go up in the wintertime, make sure you have AWD!

Green Features: They absolutely fulfill their promises of an eco friendly location and stay!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to A Stone Wall Inn? Share your experiences!