“Not bad for our first hotel in Koh Samui..” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui

Save Saved
You added Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui to your Saves list
Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   111 / 1 - 2 Moo 5, Chaweng Beach, Ko Samui 84320, Thailand   |
Ranked #12 of 13 hotels in Chaweng Beach
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Not bad for our first hotel in Koh Samui..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Bhundhari Spa Resort was our first accommodation as part of our 14-day stay in Koh Samui. My husband and I honeymooned there in September this year. The resort was a good ten minutes away, by car, from Koh Samui airport which was a relief after travelling on two planes to get to the island. It was also only five minutes away from Chaweng (the main town), by taxi or tuk tuk.
Upon arriving we were impressed at the colour schemes and external design of the resort. When we got to the lobby area we were greeted warmly and were attended to straight away. There was no wait for our room to be ready, which was another relief as all we wanted to do was relax and laze away in our room.
We stayed at one of the secluded villas. To get there you needed to ride on a buggy to get up on the steep hill. There were no problems walking down the steep hill, we just had to take extra care. It was a beautiful and picturesque area. We had our own private pool overlooking the rest of the resort and the ocean, with other small islands in the horizon.
My husband and I spent a good amount on spas, massages, manicures and pedicures whilst at the resort. It was good value. The environment was serene and peaceful. The Thai people really do great massages.
The resort could do with providing English lessons for their workers. The workers were really friendly and attentive, just their lack of speaking English hindered them a little.
We were provided with breakfast buffet for all the seven days that we stayed at Bhundari. The resort also provided representatives from travel companies to speak to us about activities to do while on the island. There were special themed dinners everyday at the resort, but not much activities to do. There was happy hour everyday, where if you buy one drink you get another free. The pricing of food at the resort for lunch and dinner is higher than if you trek to town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Pommoy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, it means the world to us knowing that you had a pleasant stay here in Koh samui, We do hope that you will consider staying with us once again and become one of our family.

Many Thanks and all the very best.

423 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Tatura, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I had a fantastic experience on our Honeymoon recently at this great resort. Everyone looks for different things in a holiday. We wanted something that showcased people, place and food that was relaxing also. The staff were fabulous, always happy to do whatever. They would run you to you room promptly from reception, ask always at the restaurant for breakfast, lunch and tea if they could do anything more. The band that plays there every night make it really relaxing there in the evenings. There is a fellow there who manages the restaurant Mr A who is superb. He talks to you over breakfast and helps you with things you might want to consider during the day. His local knowledge really helps you get the best out of your time on the island. He encouraged us to consider the Thai cooking class and the romantic dinner on the beach where they cook 5 courses for you. Both were great and provided by them. Highly recommend! The pools on both sides of the road in the resort cater for all. The bar in the pool is great in one of them. It was great to stay were it was Thailand too... Not influenced by outside influences. The Gardens and finer details around where you stay just really gives you that warm Thailand feel! A great experience we will always remember!

Room Tip: All would be great I would suggest, We got pool villa, which was great..
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Graeme,

Thank you so much for you kind words, it was a pleasure having you stay here at Bhundhari and we all very much look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

kind Regards
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

My wife and I (we are in our late 50's) stayed here for 10 days. We were impressed by the location away from the hassle and bussle of noise of Chaweng Beach. Only 100baht each way for 2 people to Chaweng. We had a room on the high side of the resort just above the pool and with a view of the ocean. There was some maintainence problems with the room 2103 ( would still recommend this room), not a enough to condemn the room and we spoke to Andi-Andrew Jones who sorted out 2 of 3 of the problems, third problem was very minor. We were impressed that most of the problems were fixed. At other hotels, we have been moved on average 2- 3 times Andi had offered another room above 2103 before fixing the problems. The reasons that we wanted to stay where we were ,
one, my wife has a broken leg (plated and bolted) which was on the mend and whilst there was a steep incline, it actually helps with her recovery, I did not want her to overdo it. Golf carts were available if we needed them. My wife wanted to walk every time.
two, the shrubs in front of the decking actually reduced the afternoon sun heat and was quite comfortable to sit out there and watch the sun setting and drinking the local beer. View was impressive, especially the night view of the fishing boats.
Whilst I agree with some of the other comments about the staff understanding English - remember we are in their country, maybe we should be more aware of their language and try to be in their position if they came in our country and expecting us to understand their language.
We found that Andi- Andrew had time to say hello and discuss any thing that I wanted to say, My wife reckons that I bent his ear but he was interesting. Andi has a unsual fitness hobby and people who stay here should ask about it as he likes to discuss it.Keep it up Andi.
Andi- Andrew is the best promotion for the hotel.
The other person that I would to recommend for assistance is the Crossing Officer. This person is always cheerful and willing to help. This gentleman is an asset to the resort. He will tell you how much to pay for when using the local transport and will suggest places to go. I have checked with other holiday makers on the island about the transport cost and this gentleman is spot on. My recommendation is to take the local truck transport around the island, 100 bath per person to Nathon. This is a nice place to visit. Just remember, know what the transport costs are before you get on.
Breakfast- the best that we have had, the staff were impressive, one of the staff there, a little lady,I am so sorry that I did not get her name for this comment, keep my cup full of tea, I love my tea in the morning. The head person took time out to talk to us, the personal touch, a good feel.
Whilst we were staying at the hotel, a youg lady had an accident on a motor scooter and would like to commend Andi for his follow up of the lady, it was the personal touch that makes a hotel.
Summary,
1. English is a problem but we are in their country and thats why we like to travel overseas.
2. Any problems, see Andi- Andrew
3.For local transport, see the Crossing Officer.
4. Hotel ratings are not about the buildings itself but also the people who work there. it was a toss up for the hotel rating between 4 and 5 rating. I believe that by saying 4 star rating, it will help the hotel to drive itself to improve.
5. Like to see more of the other management staff out there talking to guests.
6. Some of the areas would need to be improved/ maintained. Standard problem for most hotels.
7. Have breakfast at the hotel.
8. Outside the hotel- barter on price, accepted practice
Would have liked to see their other resort, my problem, should have asked.
Overall, great place to stay, staff are friendly, location away from noise.
Finally, to the hotel, keep it up and strive to better.

Room Tip: Try for room 2103 or near it
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Boyd,

thank you so much for this very pleasant review, I have passed on all your remarks to our team. They were overjoyed to hear that you had a wonderful time here at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas. Please do stay in touch, It would be wonderful to see you and your wife here once again.

From all of us all here at Bhundhari, we wish you both all the very best.

Kind regards
Birmingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

On first arriving at the hotel my wife and I were very impressed by the look of it. Yes, there is a steep hill but it adds to the feel of the place in my humble opinion.

Unfortunately as we arrived at 9am we seemed to take the front desk staff by surprise, no welcome drink was offered to us although throughout our stay we saw the same privilege being extended to other guests on arrival. This in itself is not a major issue but we were then told that our room was not quite ready and we were told to wait an hour. After travelling 24 hours and being awake for all of them this was not welcome news but it was a nice day so sitting at the bar was no great hardship. Over an hour had passed so I enquired again as to the state of our room only to be told that it would not be ready for another hour and a half by a different member of staff only then to have a supervisor say that check in was at 2PM. This was the straw that broke the camels back and following a heated exchange between my wife and the supervisor a very agreeable compromise was reached which involved us receiving a free room upgrade for the duration of our 2 week stay. The room was also ready! I liked the fact that the staff were willing to rectify this problem instantly but the point of this little moan is, if guests are due to arrive early then provision should be made to ensure their room is ready. Especially as the hotel was nowhere near full to capacity. I've been to hotels in many places around the world and never been told to wait for my room regardless of arrival time.

Anyway, from there things got much better. Our bags were taken to our room for us on a buggy. The room we were given, a Deluxe Villa (4217), was superb. Clean and spacious with an amazing sea view. The bed was very comfortable and large. The bathroom was great and the outdoor shower was very nice. The room was cleaned daily with no issues.

We ate in the hotel on 4 occasions. Three times at the top hotel closest to reception and one at the Mediterranean closest to the sea front. The top restaurant was very nice with a good selection of Thai food. The food and drink prices are similar to what you would pay in a decent restaurant in the UK. The same goes for the Mediterranean restaurant but the food was better than the top restaurant. The steak was one of the best I have ever tasted and a nice break from spicy Thai food which I do enjoy.

The pool areas were excellent and due to the time of year and lack of guests we had the pool to ourselves 95% of the time. The staff were attentive and served us at our sun beds. Just be aware that when you buy drinks they levy a 10% service charge on all drinks which are not as cheap as elsewhere but I expect that from hotels as you are a captive audience. The hotel does run a happy hour between 1pm and 6pm and beer is 2 for 1 which brings the price somewhere near the bars on Chaweng Beach and Bophut.

On the subject of Chaweng and Bophut taxis are not cheap. 200 baht to Chaweng and 400 baht to Bophut, so by the end of our holiday we had spent the best part of £100 on taxis. No signs of any tuk tuks. The taxi drivers are friendly though and are willing to tell you the best places to see. Just a tip, you can walk around the beach to Chaweng. It takes around 20 minutes and you have to walk through the sea (up to your ankles) for a few minutes, nice walk though. Bophut is the nicer of the two

I have read a few reviews moaning about the manager not saying hello to them? The chap seemed fine to me and on the several occasions we passed him in the reception he said hello and our last day, whilst waiting for our cab to the airport, he kindly offered to switch the air con on in the library for us to sit in. Personally I don't really expect much more from a hotel manager as he is going to be busy with hotel matters.

Special mention to 'Char' the porter. Really friendly guy and would always be willing to take us to our room in a buggy. Didn't experience a bad member of staff really. Yes, the English could be improved but you get there in the end

The odd little thing stops this from being a 5 star for me. Outdated TV and poor selection of channels, below par standard of English from staff, quite a dull and repetitive breakfast selection and fairly ordinary entertainment. Not deal breakers but maybe need addressing. I'm aware that an English teacher is now employed which is a step in the right direction.

Overall a really nice stay and we'd consider it should we return to Koh Samui one day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences of Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villa's, feedback like yours is essential to us in order for us to continually improve our service. It was a pleasure having you stay with us, and we look forward to your next visit to Koh Samui in the near future.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

This hotel have a great location,close to Chaweng center but not too close.
Very nice pool with the ocean view.
Rooms are rather small but very comfortable.
The staff are very friendly and polite.

Very good value for money!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Many many thanks for taking the time to share your wonderful experiences here at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villa's. We wish you a safe journey home and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

I don't even know where to start with commending this resort for making our stay so enjoyable. The staff were exceptionally friendly, courteous and always willing to go out of their way to look after us. Each and every staff member!!

I had a scooter accident during our stay at the resort and spent most of our time there on crutches but this only further proved how caring and generous the staff really were. Always willing to help, making sure I was comfortable, and genuinely caring about how I was feeling each day.

But I really want to make a point of personally thanking the manager - Andrew jones. Both my partner and i cannot thank you enough for what you did for us during our entire stay. From driving us to and from the hospital, to lending me DVDs, your constant generosity, and positive and friendly manner. We will have no hesitation in recommending this resort to anyone heading over your way. And we will definitely be staying here again when we come back (minus the crutches) :-)

The resort itself, the food, the cleanliness - everything was perfect.

Thanks again to EVERYONE there!!!

Joel and Jen - room 2203!! :-) xx

• Stayed November 2012
GMBRS, Manager at Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Hello Jennalee/Joel

I hope your flight back was comfortable, Thank you so much for posting such a lovely review, It will be so nice to see you both again. All the very best.

Andi
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We had a 4 - night stay at Bhundhari and I don't really know where to start.
The staff were lovely upon arrival, providing us with a cold face towel and an amazing refreshment drink which was a blessing during the heat of the day.

We were then taken up the hill (it's quite steep but good exercise if you feel up to it and are able bodied).

Upon arrival to our room (Deluxe Villa) we were very disappointed, the room had a musty smell and was very hot (the air con hadn't been turned on). The basin and shower glass were very dirty but the bed felt soft and the sheets looked clean and fresh. The view from the balcony should of been beautiful but we were looking at the rooftops of other villas.
We went to reception straight away and requested a different room. They were able to offer us a luxury villa (that was the only room that was available) for an extra 3000thb per night to which we agreed.
The new room was much better, a spectacular view and our own pool which was lovely (aside the dirty bandaid and empty cheese stick wrapper on the terrace).

The resort was quiet and we had no disturbances. It was very close to Chewang and paid 100thb to travel there each way in a tuk tuk.

When we paid for the upgrade to the luxury villa there was also confusion as to "club" membership, which should of been included but the staff insisted it wasn't and we had to pay. This was soon resolved after we produced a copy of an email confirming a luxury villa would include club access.
This was a waste of time anyway, we were shown into a hot room where they closed the door behind us and just left us there.... (utter confusion ensued after this, we had no idea what we were doing in this uncomfortable hot and small room)
No welcome drink (as stated) and the only amenity in that room was a laptop computer which didn't work.

Breakfast food was awful - the bacon was old and tasteless, the pancakes undercooked, just to mention a couple
of things... and it was served outside in the heat - very uncomfortable, however the staff were lovely and kind.

The next issue was the bed, my partner was woken up constantly after being bitten on the body, he developed large lumps where the bites were and they were extremely itchy. We put it down to being in a rainforest type area and obviously around lots of mosquitoes and bugs ect. I'm not sure if the bed contained some kind of lice within the sheets but new sheets were placed on the bed everyday and we had the same issue every night.

I'm really not one to complain generally, I tend to look for the positives in every experience however, our overall experience at Bhundhari was not a pleasant one.
The resort is quite old and tired but it is in a beautiful location overlooking the ocean (if you get a good room) and the staff are lovely.
Much nicer places to stay for less money.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

I am deeply sorry that your stay at Bhundhari did not live up to expectations. Likewise regarding our breakfast, the majority of our guests praise our Restaurants and breakfast buffet.

With regards to the confusion about "Club benefits" it sounds like you were taken to our Pariya lounge adjacent to our Club lounge, again I am very sorry our front office staff should have explained all of our facilities and the club benefits to you and shown you around explaining restaurants opening times, our Mixed bar etc.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again, so we are able to show you our usual high level of customer satisfaction.

Very Kind regards.

Been to Bhundhari Spa Resort & Villas Samui? Share your experiences!