“Combining social work, cultural experience and vacation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nusa Penida
You added Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali to your Saves list
Banjar Bodong | Ped Village, Nusa Penida, Nusa Penida 811111, Indonesia   |
Konstanz, Germany
“Combining social work, cultural experience and vacation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

When I arrived with the boat on Nusa Penida, I felt like entering another world. After the buzzling life in the south of Bali, Nusa Pendia seems at first to be really quiet and peaceful. I spent just a few days at FNPF in Nusa Penida, but during these couple of days I got to know the local community and saw lots of nice places on the island. In the morning everyone could pick the work he would like to do and I got the possibility to work on an organical garden together with school kids and another organical garden close to a small village. That was a good possibility to get involved in the daily life of the people and they introduced us to the making of coconut oil. They said everyone in their village from the age 6 till 60 knows how to climb a coconut tree. One day I had the chance to work in the library of FNPF and in the afternoon watched one of their traditional dancing lessons for the school kids (it is possible to join!). I loved to spent my time at one of the beaches with fantastic snorkling possibilities or exploring the area around (cave temple, weaving village, ceremonies...) and wished I could have stayed longer...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have been to FNPF on Nusa Penida twice now and I loved my experience each time! I wish that I could go back!

The first time was with a group of volunteers and our main project was helping to build an organic garden in one of the local schools. While taking a break from picking up trash and pulling weeds, I was able to interact with local children and I gave an impromptu English lesson. I went back the following day and a whole group of girls were enthusiastically asking me questions and teaching me Indonesian. Volunteers can also help with growing trees, the bird sanctuary, and various other projects which Mike dreams up! The staff are a group of local guys who are contagiously funny and really friendly. After a day of gardening, it was a lot of fun going to the beach with them and later playing the guitar and singing late into the night.

The second time that I went to Nusa Penida, I was hoping to return to the school where I had volunteered the first time; however, it was during a two week school holiday and school was not in session. Though I and my boyfriend did not do as much volunteer work as my first trip, it was lovely staying in the fisherman's homestay by the beach and spending time with the local staff, going to a full moon ceremony and to a local concert.

If you want to give back to the community, spend time with locals and learn about Balinese culture, FNPF is the perfect place! While the center might not be the most organized volunteer program, you have to adjust in general in Bali to its "rubber time." My memories on Nusa Penida with FNPF are some of my favorites moments during my trip in Southeast Asia, and I will definitely return someday!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, I wouldn't stay in one of the dorms by the office. The staff sometim...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
fnpf, CEO and Founder at Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks Kristine for taking the time to review our volunteer center, it’s great to hear about your experiences. We appreciate your feedback and we love to hear about volunteers returning.

Hope to see you again one day.

Nimbin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

i have just returned to Nusa Penida for the 5th time to be a volunteer at Friends of National parks Foundation. i return to help the locals and volunteers with re-forestation, organic gardening and rehabilitation of the bali starling. Originally the king of Klung Kung sent all the prisoners here and they were ordered to cut down every tree and drain every swamp, so the island was decimated, up until now. The entire island is powered by wind generators so the air is pristine with not to many cars and mainly scooters. there is a bemo taxi you can call. FNPF has a nursery that grows many species and these are offered for free to village banjar locals. the bali starling prized for it's putih (white) plumage was almost at extinction, up until now as Bayu, pak Mike, Nyngah, Wayan and many more carers and donators help this bird become rehabilitated in it's natural environment, you get to live in either a bamboo house, dorm or a private room all with mosquito nets, of course it only cold water showers but with perfect temperatures and weather who needs to warm up more.
Volunteers can work up to 4 hrs per day, but it isn't really work when you sing in the garden and pot up rainforest specie, knowing that they will bring fresh air, cooling temperatures and of course much wildlife back into nature, after that freedom in paradise is awaiting with snorkelling and diving along coral reefs and seaweed beds, take a guide as the currents are very strong, Tambiling forest is serene and is completed with male and female water holes. There are beautiful temples including Dalem Ped, the only temple in all Bali to house the 4 temples, it is a mecca for hindus due to this reason. Giri Putri is immuculate,a caved entrance into a giant cave with white limestone naga steps and many small meditation caves. many more things to see and do so i guess i,ll have to plan another trip.

Room Tip: front can be alittle noisy in the morning as the scooters go to the school at around 6 am, the dorm...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
fnpf, at Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thanks for your lovely review of our volunteering center. We agree Nusa Penida is indeed a paradise. We hope that you can one day get back to volunteer with us again. Terima kasih.
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was volunteering for a little bit over 3 weeks and I loved every bit of it. This island is unique with it's nature, peacefulness and people. FNPF is doing great work on the island and the staff and Nusa Penida people are big part why I felt welcome from the beginning. This island has a special spirit, unspoiled feeling which I hope will never be spoiled. If you want something else than touristy beaches and constant noise, this is the place to visit. Just don't spoil it!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for your review, we are glad to hear you had a great time.

Thank you also for your kind words about our staff on Nusa Penida and our important conservation work – there is a lot to be done out there to protect Indonesia’s wildlife, its habitat and to help local communities. Terima kasih.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

We volunteered as a family (kids 6 and 2) for a week - FNPF works closely with the communities on Nusa Penida and it was a unique way for us to give back to Bali.
We did some gardening in the morning and swimming/snorkeling/playing on the beach in the afternoon. It was a fun learning experience for us all - my kids did not want to leave and became good friends with the local children.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Melaka, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

This place is magic. It's a miracle that near such a tourist infested place like Bali, there is something that is still unspoiled. We took the scooter that we rented from Kuta to here with the ferry. I must say this was the best idea so far. You can really explore the island more freely this way. Ant there is a lot to explore.

I recommend visiting this place when in Nusa Penida. Enjoy

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Hanoi, Vietnam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We booked a week here at the start of our 6 week holiday in Bali and then went to the mainland for the next 5 weeks but only lasted 4 weeks as our kids were begging us to go back for our last week as they loved the Penida experience so much (we gave in to them pretty quickly as it is a great way to escape the constant pressure of buy buy buy on the mainland).
The last review I feel was a bit harsh and displayed a lack of understanding of the local culture.
The great thing about this place is that you can do as much work as you feel like or not. If the previous reviewers had any problems with amenities they should of done something about it instead of leaving it and then complaining.
MIke is a wonderful, generous, welcoming man who made us feel completely at home and was nearly always up in the mornings before us and I ventured out of bed usually around 7am. We did some sweeping, collecting manure, attending to compost heaps, digging veggie patches, observing the birds and a lot of chilling out reading books, playing cards, meeting other wonderful people, lazing in hammocks, eating great cheap food at the warung across the road, attending numerous local ceremonies and festivals, snorkeling and day trips exploring the island.
The kids had some real interaction with the local children via- reading with them, dancing, playing soccer, learning songs, and many other things.
If you want a very different holiday experience were what you put in to it is what you get out of it, instead of a prepackaged holiday experience were everything is handed to you on a plate, then this is the place for you as we will definitely be going back there again
If your a family and wondering my children are aged 9(girl) and 12(boy).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali

Address: Banjar Bodong | Ped Village, Nusa Penida, Nusa Penida 811111, Indonesia
Location: Indonesia > West Nusa Tenggara > Nusa Penida
Beach Free Parking
Ranked #1 of 5 Specialty Lodging in Nusa Penida
FNPF (Friends of the National Parks Foundation) is a not-for-profit conservation and community development organisation. We offer simple accommodation for singles, couples or larger groups on our property, located directly opposite a beach with amazing coral, and amongst our tree nursery, endangered bird release facility, and community library. You will see the rare Bali Starling and other endangered birds that we have released flying free in the trees at our centre and other locations on the island. Volunteers can help in our nursery and organic vegetable demonstration plots, teach English to local children, plant saplings on our reforestation site, and monitor the released birds. ... more   less

If you own or manage Friends of the National Parks Foundation Volunteer & Conservation Center in Bali, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.