“Breathtaking location, fabulous food and wine” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Zaranda

Zaranda
Carretera Es Capdella-Galilea, km 1.7, 07181 Es Capdella, Calvia, Majorca, Spain
971-138 620
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romance, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: The restaurant is situauted in Castell Son Claret and has a former michelin star chef who has just moved there
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Breathtaking location, fabulous food and wine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

I took my husband for dinner to celebrate his birthday. In my opinion it is an absolute "must visit" location and restaurant and probably one of the most memorable meals we have ever had in our 4 years of marriage.

Starting with the venue, lovingly restored as recently as April this year, Castel Son Claret is breathtaking! A beautiful tree lined drive takes you to some incredible gardens and a brilliantly renovated Spanish style farm/castle.

We took a drink in the Olivera restaurant, overlooking the infinity pool and orchards, complete with sheep wearing bells. I had a Castell 75 - champagne, citron and Hendricks gin cocktail which was ridiculously tasty!

We took dinner in the Zaranda restaurant in the courtyard. Beautifully decorated tables, fabulous service from all the staff with special mention to the maitre d for being so welcoming, a cracking sommelier and our waiter.

The food was delicious. We went for the shorter tasting menu with matched wines and we thought it was excellent value. The Mallorcean pork amuse bouche, lobster bisque, pigeon breast and re worked Black Forest gateau were particularly good courses. The matched wines presented were excellent, when there is only 2 of you it is so nice to still be able to match your wines to your courses without having to buy 3 or 4 separate bottles (not to mention how drunk you would be)! A Spanish cava, 2 whites, a sensational rose and beautiful dessert wine really complimented the meal.

All in all a first class experience!! We will definitely be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oslo
“Good restaurant, but not Michelin standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We opted for the shorter of the two tasting menus. The chef focused on local traditions and ingredients which we liked. All the dishes were tasty and good, but nothing extraordinary. The waitors were in general quite slow and seemed to be very focused on one table (not ours) instead of giving all the guests equal attention. Small things which you expect at a Michelin restaurant lacked. We had to wait a long time to put in our wine order, then waiting a long time to actually get the wine. We werent too impressed with the skills of the sommelier. We've been to a few Michelin restaurants, but Zardana does unfortunately not live up it's star. It's certainly a place to visit if you just want a nice meal with nice ambiance (inside the hotell Castell son Claret. It has moved from it's previous location).

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Tromso, Norway
“Poor manners by the maitre. Destroyed the whole experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I was there in sept for my girlfriends birthday. I had made a reservation 6 weeks before and I had gotten the confirmation through sms.

When arriving, it took us probsbly 1hour with taxi. The maitre(short haired women 40-60)
She looks at me like im an alien when i say i have a reservation. She says We dont have it but you can sit here becouse we have 1 cancelation. I show here my confirmation. But she didnt care.

Then we choose the large menu . They try to rush it so hard that we. Fellt stressed and uncomfortsble. We had all our snacks together with tje first amuse. A joke. This was not even late. 2100 we had the booking. But we were the last table.

The sommeliere from argentina was very good!
The chef de rang made strange noises from his throught the whole night.

Food was great but service ruin. Our experience. I was emberassed that this dinner was my birthday present for my girlfriend.

To bad for the kitchenstaff aswell. This behavoiur in the diningroom will surely make you lose tje michelinstar

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Limited Menu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We selected the Michelin * restaurant as we were staying close by and love fine dining.
When the highlight of the evening was architecture, it tells you enough about the meal.

The menu was a very limited and the service deteriorated during the evening.
This then made the experience seem expensive.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“What a Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I was apprehensive when I discovered this Restaurant was attached to the Hilton Hotel but the food was superb and a lovely location. Watch the local wine which is bit expensive compared to other quality Spanish Wines. The hotel is worth visit just to view, my party were speechless at its fabulous layout.

• Visited October 2012