“Great Experience at Hotel Del Mare” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Spa Villa del Mare
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Nazionale, 85041 Acquafredda, Maratea, Italy   |
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Acquafredda
Denver, Colorado
“Great Experience at Hotel Del Mare”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

My friend and I were doing a southern Italy coast line trip. No agenda or hotels planned. We definitley wanted to see Maratea and the large Jesus statute. The small town of Maratea was my favorite place in Italy. The coast rivals Amalfi and I like Maratea better than Positano.

Now for the hotel. We showed up late and dusty from a long ride from Sicily. This hotel was perfect. It was in mid Oct and was a little slow. We got treated with great respect from staff and the rooms were awesome. Overlooking the water and beach. Pool was nice and I don't know why others complained about train, both my friend and myself loved it. Great place to stay. Convenient to super market and the quaint little town of Maratea. We ran out of time but I believe this would be great place to explore Pollino National Park then come back and hit the beach, pool or spa. We saw the spa and the staff was really friendly and the facilities were nice. We could not have been treated better by staff and management. My friend spent some time with the owner and was quite impressed. I am hotel snob and would stay here in a second. Did not eat any food. We went to town for that. You can get rooms that open up and drop in pool or ones with views from bay. Cool hotel.

Room Tip: Depending on time of year you can stay walk out to pool or room with view to sea.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for 5 days at the beginning of September for a short holiday and had a wonderful time. The cliff edge location is truly stunning, overlooking a beautiful turquoise bay with a small private beach (snack bar parasols, beds etc.) the beach is reached by steps or lift.
Our room was tastefully furnished and comfortable, the hotel facilities are good and the heated seawater spa is something not to be missed. We treated ourselves to a massage and wow, what an exquisitely relaxing experience.
The hotel staffs were friendly, could speak English and were very welcoming; we are intending to return for another stay.

Room Tip: Looking up from the beach they all seemed to have balconies with wonderful views. Our end of the hot...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

This hotel was a distaster. I think it has not been renovated since it was opened - I had ants and mould on the walls in my room! Furniture were old and stinking, so I was keeping all my clothes in my luggage. Staff was rude, lazy and they did not speak english. Cleaning service was poor - they did not clean well and when I came, I discovered that one of the shower gel bottles contained water - so actually it could contain everything even something harmful and cleaning staff should have checked if the bottel was opened or not. I was there for a business trip, so we were 60 people only and busy for most of the day, but I cannot imagine hotel full of families with children as there is only small outdoor swimming pool and small, not nice beach. They do not have a luggage service, and there is no lift, so I had to carry my luggage alone in this "luxurious" hotel. Also restaurant is very poor, food looks cheap and is not tasty - again, service is horrible.
About their buiseness/conference facilities: air conditioning in conference room is so loud that it is hard to hear the speaker, and usually when the air-condidioning was working, the microfon did not (sometimes also all electronic devices, so we had to sit in hot room, to continue...)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Essen, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

First of all, this is my first review for tripadvisor. I feel the need to write so I can save someone else the trouble I went through here. I was here for a business trip together with 70 other colleagues for an international meeting. The rooms have not been renovated for decades, there are ants and mosquitoes everywhere, the breakfast buffet is the poorest I have seen in years of travelling and this hotel is definitely NOT a 4-star - you are told to carry your own luggage to your bedroom!
But the worse came when my wallet was stolen from my bedroom (which I duly locked every single time, even when I was inside). The lack of cooperation from the manager included trying to cover up the incident (completely insensitive to the fact that I was left with no money, no credit/debit cards, lost my ID and driver's license, all this only 2 days before having to return home), initially refusing to send a staff member with me to the local police so I could report the missing documents and in the end charging me the taxi that took me there (which I had to ask a colleague to pay for me)!! And I thought I was being considerate when reporting it as "missing" rather than as "theft" to the police... one of the lousiest pieces of hotel management you'll ever see.
I am SURE that you can find a better place to stay than this. Save yourself the trouble - the only good things here are a hotel that has an access to the beach and a swimming pool (a single one, mind you) plus three or four friendly staff members, and that's most certainly not worth what I have described above. 4 stars??? You must be out of your mind.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

If you want to pay 120 euro for a good view (with a very loud train passing every 20 minutes included), go ahead. This is hotel that should be closed right away. Auwful rooms, everything looks old, outdates, from past times. The breakfast is zero! They should be ashamed to serve this to people and claim they are a four star hotel. You have to schlep your own luggage down and up many stairs...The isolation is terribe so you can hear everything what is happening next door or below or on top of you. Try to find another hotel in Maratea or even better a small B&B with good service and fresh and new interior and motivation! This hotel just wants to cash in without doing any necessary investment. Lost glory!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

Hotel overdue renovation. The rooms are no fun to be. But very friendly staff and beautiful beach. (See photos).

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Switzerland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Ants everywhere
Extremely expensive for very low quality services
Air conditioning not working

• Liked — nothings
  • Disliked — ants in the bed
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Spa Villa del Mare? Share your experiences!