“AMazing Location - loved the wildlife” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hanson Bay Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hanson Bay
Hanson Bay Cabins
You added Hanson Bay Cabins to your Saves list
Hanson Bay Road, Hanson Bay, Kangaroo Island, South Australia 5223, Australia   |
Gloucester. UK
“AMazing Location - loved the wildlife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2008

We stayed at Stormy Petrel cabin for just 2 nights in August.
The weather wasn't brilliant for the duration of our stay but still the location is stunning. To lie in bed hearing the sea crashing on the nearby rocks was just great!
The cabins are fairly basic but have everything we needed and we were there for the location and experience and not all the comforts of home. It was perfectly adequate for us - 2 adults and 2 children.
As soon as we arrived we were greeted by two large kangaroos (who semed to like to lurk by the washing lines behind the cabin) and we had regular visitors in a little wallaby, some magpies and a possum each night.
We did the koala walk during the day and also did the nightime walk which was great. We learned a lot- saw lots of koalas, kangaroos and possums - and it was a lovely clear night so a good chance to see all the stars too!
It is only a short drive to Flinders Chase (Admirals Arch, Remarkable Rocks etc) - the Finders Chase area was badly affect by fires at the end of 2007 - which we werent aware of before we went - so a lot of walks were closed while we were there and there was very little wildlife to be found - but it was fascinating to see how the trees and plants were growing back and starting again.
We stayed two nights in Penneshaw and 2 nights here and felt it gave us a really good chance to see as much on the island as possible in 4 days. We loved the Little Penguins near Penneshaw, the Pelicans at Kingscote, Willoughby Lighthouse, antechamber bay, between the two we did Seal Bay (although as it was cold and windy we saw very few seals here - we saw far more around Admirals Arch) Vivonne Bay, We visited Little Sahara and tried a toboggan down the dunes (only really works in the summer I think!) and then we also did Flinders chase with Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and the koalas at Hanson BAy sanctuary - a real fun packed time. Our children (10 and 12) still look at the 4 days on Kangaroo Island as one of the best bits of our 5 week trip!
On main tip - we were tol that although many roads were unsealed a normal car was fine! We are so glad that we ignored this and took a 4x4 - in winter the roads were very pot holed - a very interesting experience!! - I have included a photo of one of the roads!
Hansons Bay is a great location and we thoroughly recommend it!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2008

This place is great. The accommodation itself (6 cabins) is pretty basic but clean and well presented. What really sells this place is the fab location. The cabins overlook Hanson Bay - several white sandy beaches with a calm sea to swim in. Just past the first beach the sea rages over reefs (don't swim here!), making a fabulous crashing noise which I loved listening to at night. We had a family of possums visit us every night, expecting to be fed, and wallabies hopped in the undergrowth beneath our cabin. The couple who manage this accommodation are lovely and also run the koala sanctuary which is a must if you visit the region. The location is around an hour's drive from the airport, but all bar the last 5km is on sealed roads (speaking of which, a trip to Seal Bay breaks up the journey there). the last 5km is fine though (and I'm a nervous driver). Great place to relax, swim, fish..

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
Adelaide, SA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

The cabins are well spaced out with great views over Hanson bay. Articles in the cabins were light on, but I had expected that. You don't go there for the great cabins - you go there for the location !

Bring electric / gas powered cooking gear with you if you want to cook your own food as the common BBQ is electric and was average.

The bay is sensational and the cabins are close to many KI attractions.

Will be going back.

• Stayed June 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
KANGAROOS10, Manager at Hanson Bay Cabins, responded to this review, November 12, 2010
Thank you for your comments.

Since mid 2007 there has been a large 4 burner solid plate gas BBQ at the cabins.
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2007

What a great location! What we were looking for was scenery and animals and boy did we get both!

From my research on the internet, I knew I wanted to be near the southwest portion of Kangaroo Island, however, there are not many places to stay in that area! So when I found the Hanson Bay Cabins, I was thrilled.

I must admit, right after booking the cabin, I read the reviews about how "rustic" it is and about mice and possums and panicked! I did NOT mention this to my husband or kids!

When we arrived we put all our food in either the refrigerator or the plastic locking box provided in the pantry. I noticed some mousetraps, but did not make a big deal out of them.

I was also worried about the pot belly stove being our only source of heat, but that was NOT a problem - that baby can let off the heat! I think building the fire every morning was one of my husband's favorite parts of the vacation!

Anyway, I did not see or hear any sign of rodents... until the very last night. We were reading the guestbook which seemed to be a scoreboard for who caught the most mice. Well, that night I heard squeaking! But I was able to get some sleep and all worked out fine.

Back to the location - it was brilliant! First of all is the view and the access to the beach and hiking - GREAT! Also, it made for easy trips to Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch, Seal Bay, Little Sahara, Kelly Caves and of course, Hanson Bay Koala sanctuary. All of these are HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

We stayed 4 days and loved every minute of it. It was our best vacation! Our kids were 4 and 6 and had a blast! It was so cool for them to be nose to nose with wallabies and possums (with the window in between) at night - watching from our room!

Note - the pot belly stove would have worried me if we had toddlers who could accidentally touch it. And DO bring everything you need, there's no phone (and no cell phone coverage) in addition to no tv.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions!

• Liked — The beautiful location and accessibility to the parks and sights
  • Disliked — The distance in getting there!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

The cabins at Hanson Bay are isolated and rustic ,the bathrooms are small and its 20 miles to the nearest store .But if you have ever wanted to stay at a beautiful beach with spectacular scenery and no crowds this is it. During our stay we had the beach to ourselves most of the time.

These cabins have no radio or TV but they have a view which is spectacular and changes throughout day .I sat for hours on verandah looking at the sea ,the cliffs,the waves and the sand. I was occassionally interrupted by Wallabies ,Goannas, and at night possums .

We saw a fisherman surf casting half a mile away ( he was the only person on the beach ) We walked down and talked with him .He said there was a 10 ton school of Salmon just beyond the wave break . but that there were 20 tons yesterday. He gave us a 5lb fish and instructions on how to cook it.

The visitors book in our cabin made reference to whale sightings .We didnt see any ...apparently they pass through in the spring on their way to Antartica .Also the visitors book indicates these cabins are very popular with photographers .I know why !

I hiked extensively from our cabin .There is no developement nearby .On the map it appears there is nothing on the coast for 15 miles in both directions .

Stayed December 2006
Chicago IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2006

These are beautiful log cabins. The views of the bay are just breathtaking, as the waves dramatically crash against the rocks. The cabins are well-equipped and come with a full kitchen, bathroom, living room and two bedrooms. At night, you will see many kangaroos on the Hanson Bay road. At the cabins, the possums come right up to the windows and the wallabies are everywhere.

The location is very convenient for exploring the western end of Kangaroo Island. We used it as a base to see Flinders National Park, Seal Bay and Kelly Hill Caves. The Hanson Bay sanctuary is also something to see. Visitors to the cabins receive free passes to the koala walk, which I highly recommend. The best time to see the koalas is early morning or late afternoon (6-7pm) as that is when they are most active. There are also discounts for the noctournal tour, which is a great experience and very informative about KI's wildlife.

The cabins are easy to get to, located about 5km off South Coast Road along Hanson Bay Road. Hanson Bay Road is not paved, but is an easy drive.

I would recommend having a CDMA mobile phone, as GSM phones do not work in the western end of the island, and there are no public phones at the cabins. The managers are located in the sanctuary, about 8km away, and are very helpful and knowledgeable about the island. The occational mouse is seen in the cabins. However, the views and the wildlife at Hanson Bay made it well worth it and staying at Hanson Bay felt like much more of an authentic KI experience than would staying in a more tourist-oriented place like KIWR.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2006

Hanson Bay Cabins are *extremely* rustic. They are 5 km down a badly unpaved road which they dont warn you about in advance - if you bring a rental car - you are not allowed to drive on these roads. The cabins do not have central heat but instead have a pot bellied stove. This was definitely not child friendly and not good for us given that we had a 2 yr old with us. We had to run the stove constantly to be able to stand the cold. The firewood was very damp. Nobody was around to greet us or even around if we had questions about anything (like can we get dry firewood since it's freezing cold out and there's no heat). If there had been a problem, we wouldn't have been able to reach anyone. I called the mgmt the day before we arrived just to confirm directions as we were arriving after dark and there is no cell/mobile reception and they were extremely rude and said it should be in the letter they sent me and hung up, not exactly what I wanted to hear when I was paying $200/night and wanted to make sure we arrived safely.

If you enjoy extremely rustic places or you are going to write a book or read, you will enjoy this place. Otherwise, if you have kids or want some basic comforts, you will not.

I also felt that we were extremely mislead. The brochures and reviews I've read other places say that there were wallabies and possums right out the front door, penguins on the beach. I never saw one of these animals, and I looked. Regarding penguins, I asked every single person I could find about this. The tourist office in Kingscote says there are no penguins in Hanson's Bay. The local residents say that they have been looking for them for months and have never seen them. Other guests have never seen them. The people at the sanctuary said they'd never seen them but that just maybe if you take a flashlight and put red cellophane over it, and walk around with that, you might see them (the red prevents animal's vision from being blinded at night). All in all, I was extremely unhappy with the level of service, the accuracy of information, the value, and what we got. I was led to believe that the cabins would be serviced daily and they were not.

Just to put things in perspective, I am a backpacker and a camper, and I was very disappointed. So, I wasn't expecting the Ritz. But for $200 Australian/night, I was definitely expecting more than this.

One other thing to keep in mind is that Hanson Bay is probably the coldest part of the entire island. Local residents confirmed this.

• Stayed April 2006
KANGAROOS10, Manager at Hanson Bay Cabins, responded to this review, June 26, 2011
Dear Worldtraveler94131,

Sorry to hear that your experience with Hanson Bay Cabins was an unpleasant one.
Since your stay in 2006 Hanson Bay Cabins has had a few small changes including a change of management.
Please rest assure that our management and staff strive to make guests feel welcome and at home.
Kindest regards,

Been to Hanson Bay Cabins? Share your experiences!