“Great big burger” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Whitehead, United Kingdom
“Great big burger”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

A friend had told me about their burgers, one of their “specials”. I wrote this down: Crossgar 6oz steak burgers topped with smoked applewood cheese, served with tomato, lettuce, onion & skinny fries – for £7.90. I took a photograph, in case you didn’t believe me when I tell you tthat you get a great mound of chips. My friend actually shares this meal between two people, because the portions are so generous! I was actually very tempted to try the other special, it was Cooleeny goats cheese and cherry tomato quiche with house salad. I’ll go back another day for that. I like to see good “norn iron / irish” food in a locally owned restaurant.
The one thing wrong was that I had no room left for a dessert, but I bought a little something for later in one of those takeaway boxes. They do very nice cakes!
I do like the music they play in the old tea house. The staff are very good. The paintings on the walls keep changing, and the whole room takes you back in time.

Visited October 2013

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Local Artwork And Lovely Scones!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I visited recently and had a lovely cappacinino and a cherry scone. I chatted for ages with my friend. The calming background music and the array of local artwork, see attached photograph, really brought the place to life and I enjoyed my visit. I must call again soon. The old décor is lovely and the waitress was very helpful.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“Service above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Went 4 one of their occasional evening events – it’s the only restaurant in the heart of Whitehead where u can eat at night. That was handy, this was a bring-your-own bottle affair, so I could take a drink, and just walk home. We stayed for hours, and I must compliment the staff. They were amazingly polite, attentive and patient with us all night long. Top marks. All the food was great, too.

They have a bunch of new paintings and photo art on the walls by 5 or 6 artists. The furnishings and old antiques that decorate the main room have been given a makeover during the summer. They have olde world irons, tea pots, a gramophone, and many attractive period curiosities, plus books on local history you can browse.

Outside is all flower baskets for the summer season. The outdoor seating from their corner affords you the best view of both main streets, plus sunshine. They do daily specials, and I’d recommend the Irish goat’s cheese and red onion relish. They source ingredients locally, and I like that (e.g. Glenarm salmon, Crossgar steak burgers).

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“Nice lunch.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I see this place has had mixed reviews. Can only go on my own experience. My wife and I recently visited on a saturday afternoon. Staff were friendly. My homemade burger was superb and wifes soup was good also. Finished off with a cracking cappucino and seriously large piece of shortbread. Didnt cost the earth either. Whitehead is a lovely little town and really needs some places like this. Will def be back.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
belfast
“Terrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

What has happened to this cafe? The staff are awful and the quality of the food has slipped too far for comfort. The other reviewers must have gone on a really good day.Wont be back.

• Visited August 2013