“Favourite Italian!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Huddersfield
“Favourite Italian!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The food is always great here and the service is brilliant. Everything is always really fresh and the wine list has loads of good options. The restaurant has a friendly atmosphere and the service is always perfect.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Not relevant
“Trading on former glories”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

A few years ago Puccini's was THE place to eat and frequented by stars including David Beckham. Prices have always been steep, but the level of service and quality of food were worth paying for. Try getting a table on a Saturday night without giving a week's notice, impossible! Not now ...

I have eaten at Puccini's so many times over the years, but my last 3 visits have been nightmares. In an age of recession when they could be tempting people in with discounts, Puccini's prices have risen. Not always a bad thing, but ten quid for four pieces of ravioli? Come on ...

The warmth and genuine friendliness of the staff has been replaced by arrogance and arguments. They used to greet customers with a handshake and a smile and say goodbye at the end of the visit as if they were saying goodbye to family. On my last visit my party and I walked out of the restaurant without so much as a "ciao".

So to my last 3 visits:

1) Undercooked meatballs starter, that I only noticed half way through. I complained to the waiter, he said they were cooked. They weren't, as I found out shortly after I got home. Main course of risotto that was nothing more than mush, again complained to the waiter, he tasted it and said it is supposed to be like that. It had been overcooked by about an hour!

2) Head waiter spilled wine down my mother in law's back, not just a little bit, but a lot. There was a terse apology, but no offer of a free drink, or some other recompense. When I enquired what he would do for her he snapped "Sir, I have apologised!"

3) We were served by the most horrible waitress who if the saying "you are what you eat" is true must have eaten a proper sour faced old witch. Not a single smile from her all night, main courses not served together, we had to remind her that we should have vegetables with the main course and she kept us waiting another ten minutes. A horrible experience.

The question is, do I give them one more chance? Or do I accept that this once great giant of a restaurant is now trading on former glories?

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“really good..................”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

really good food, excellent service and courtesy, the owner and a great sympathy and kindness, we will gladly return

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Singapore living in Shanghai
“Good Food and Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We saw the review and was recommended as one of the italian place a tourist must go. So we tried it on July 15 for dinner of 4. We arrived around 6.20 pm and within miniutes the places were filled. The tables were a little bit cramp but the services were good and friendly. Environment is a little bit noisy, but they make you feel at home.

I ordered my usual special italian dish (not on the menu - lobster lingunie with tomato). They were very well done. The taste is excellent. You should try their desert as well. I would recommend the terimitsu - excellent as well. We are going to go back again before we leave Manchester. Thank you. Tourist from Singapore.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Loved the food, but very very busy place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We went to Puccini's after reading all the great reviews about it.

We went early on a Saturday (6.30pm) and it was very busy even early, so book in advance.

I thought the food was brilliant (Had the lobster linguine & Steak Al Pepe) and so did my partner but we couldnt help but feel we were been rushed. Also all of the tables are close together, which felt a bit like you couldnt have a private conversation.

No real complaints about the staff, we were greeted by the owner on the way in and also he thanked us when we were leaving for our visit.

Value wise £80.00 for two including desert and drinks so i thought it was good value for money and would eat here again.

• Visited February 2012