“A rainy day at mossman gorge” 3 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$328*
and up
Cairns Super Saver: Great Barrier Reef Cruise...
Type: Geologic Formations, Outdoors
sydney
17 attraction reviews
“A rainy day at mossman gorge”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Mossman gorge has always been one of my favourite places in far North Queensland and I have had many fun days up there. So when it was a rainy day I packed up the kids and headed up there. I had read mixed reviews about the new centre . It was the first time I had used it. Anyway I was so annoyed to arrive there and be told it was raining so the shuttle buses were not running . There was no signs notifying you and the staff were very unhelpful . All we could do is turn around and head home . Before the centre I would have given it 5 but now a 3 and you had better ring if it is raining which happens a lot in the wet season.

Melbourne
18 attraction reviews
“Totally refreshing place to be”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed in Palm Cove in January where the weather was more of a tropical heat - this caused the water in the resort pool as well as the ocean to remain warm. Mossman Gorge provided me with that refreshing swim and a place to go to escape from the heat.

The gorge itself was set in a beautiful back drop of trees and a some what peaceful calm (minus tourists).

To get there we caught a bus from the main centre which was only a couple of dollars. It was good to see aborigines work at the Mossman Gorge Centre....support the local community everyone!!

The trip to Mossman Gorge from Palm Cove was approximately 45 minutes.

Note: A local in Palm Cove told me that Crystal Cascades in Cairns is a closer option for those staying nearer to Cairns and its where the locals hang out!!

Melbourne, AUS
8 attraction reviews
“Yeah, it's ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Not a bad place to visit. But I think if you didnt come here during your visits to Cairns Region you really wouldnt miss much. We were waiting at the newly built departure point platform to come back down to visitor centre (thinking ok, this is obviously where u catch the bus from). We waited there, a bus came, dropped off guests 30 metres up at walkway entrance, then we thinking " I surpose he comes over here now to pick up departing visitors" He then was just waited there, then drove right past us!!! Haha wouldnt u think he would stop and say departure point is over there, or stop to get us, or even point or something!!(note his bus was empty on way down) So we waited another 20mins for next bus. They may want to invest in some drop off, pick up point signs. That was pretty poor. We had a laugh about it. Wont advise people to go based on our experiences.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
280 attraction reviews
“Refreshing on a hot day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

We picked up sandwiches and drinks in Mossman and came wearing our bathing suits. Great place to cool off on a hot summer day. We loved the 2k walk and did it in between swimming and picnic. You have to bring your own drinks and carry out your garbage. Saw a few wild turkeys, butterflies, and dragonflies. The interpretive signs helped us to learn about the trees and other plants.

Los Angeles, California
45 attraction reviews
“Beautiful and refreshing, but be cautious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I hesitate to write anything negative about the Gorge because it is absolutely beautiful and worth a visit, but want to point out a few things. Unlike other visitors, we were unbothered by the cost for the shuttle and found the visitors' center pleasant and transportation convenient and comfortable, so no criticisms there. Before leaving the bus, the driver gave us a map of the park and we decided to do the 2km walk before going for a swim. The rainforest area is beautiful and well worth a trip, but we found the walking loop to be a bit confusing. The map was not completely accurate and had a couple of extra turn-offs that confused us and another group of visitors. That said, if you stay on the trails and go early in the day, you likely won't get too far off track.
Also, heed the warnings in the swimming area. The gorge is so pretty and the water looks calm, but if you approach the rocks, the current is swift and can sweep you away quickly! There were plenty of young children and families visiting while we were there, but I managed to lose my footing and required rescue!
Visit the gorge and enjoy its refreshing beauty, but do be careful.