“Wonderful people, charming and salty hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
25% Off SUMMER SPECIAL
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Island Harbour
Port-au-Prince
“Wonderful people, charming and salty hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Anguilla is expensive and the Arawak is one of the best deals you'll get on the island. It's not fancy but everything works; the rooms are simple but clean and pleasant. Big breezy white painted cottages - recommend getting a top floor room for the views of the bay.

The owners are the best thing about the Arawak. Maria and Maurice (Morris?) were both there the night we arrived, and greeted us with no formalities but just a happy and hearty welcome and asked what we were having to drink. They introduced us to everyone, their guitar playing friend entertained that night, and we had a great creole dinner (with, curiously, some of the best hummus ever) on the porch to the music. Things didn't operate quite so smoothly after they left, so if you can, arrive when Maria is there to feel the full charm of the place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Arawak Beach Inn between Friday, Feb 8 and Tuesday, Feb 12, 2013 - four nights. It is small (I think it has 17 units) - the occupancy while we were there was not that high - and you cannot reasonably expect the type of 24/7 staff presence that you can get in a bigger place. I believe our room - #16 - was a "premium" room and it was absolutely fantastic. There was a balcony that wrapped around the outside of the room in two directions which gave fantastic views of Island Harbor and beyond. There was a great sound system and flat screen tv - everything about the room was really great. Although our room had air conditioning, we never used it as we simply left the two glass doors open to the balcony and had a wonderful breeze and the sounds of the ocean. The daily house keeping was superb - we had fresh beach/pool towels every day in addition to the towels for the bathroom. Maria Hawkins, the "Innkeeper" was wonderful - without her I do not think this place would be what it is in a very tough economic and competitive environment on Anguilla. Maria pretty much does it all or at least all that is needed or wanted. She is an excellent concierge and can arrange excursions, rental cars, and I suspect most anything you would want. We had a package that gave us transfers from ferry terminal to hotel and back, a great breakfast every morning, two great dinners (which given that we were going out and stuffing ourselves at lunches was really all we could handle in any event), an excursion to Scrub Island with a great fellow named Joseph, and one day of car rental with Raymond at Bass Rental - who was great. We did the one day rental - gave the car back - and then Maria arranged for us to get a similar car a later day and Raymond gave us an almost brand new Hyundai Getz at a very nice price. There was a nice pool with great views of Island Harbor. I do not quite understand the complaint in an earlier review about the self-service bar - everyone there when we were there thought it a great thing - although we never used it, because when we wanted something, Maria was there. A couple of the guests when we were there were very comfortable just helping themselves and writing down what they took - the atmosphere was such that it seemed perfectly normal for them to get what they wanted themselves. Now, if you want a place that has a nice beach at the place, this may not be for you. This did not make much difference to us, because we are not sit at the beach people, in any event. All things considered, I will check on prices for this again, if we can get back to Anguilla.

Room Tip: 16 was the best - it was great - however, if you planning to go when we are, I have to modify that s...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

all i can say is that if i had to live somewhere this is the place. The staff makes this place the best. First class treatment and enjoyfull time came during the festival and what fun. Looking forward to going back next summer. they even had a cake for my birthday

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for 5-star lodging, turn around. If you are looking for somebody to greet you with a big heartfelt smile and go out of her way to make your stay a great one, please meet Maria at the Arawak. We must in all honesty admit that the rooms could use a little TLC... But we personally got plenty of that... :-)
Now seriously: most of the rooms are a little dated, rather old school furniture and the bathrooms could benefit from a bit of revamping. But they also have four new ones that are actually great. In any case they have great king size beds and you don't need much more if you just want to explore Anguilla's great beaches.
Maria manages the place and is its heart and soul, she will help you with anything you may need and will offer to drive you to nearby places, like Shoal Bay. You should get a car though to drive to different beaches and restaurants.
The bar is on an honour system and that contributes to making you feel at home, you don't feel waited on. We like that.
Maude is in charge of the kitchen and her pizza is renowned, make sure to try it!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was a very impromptu trip as I did absolutely no research. And what I found was a picturesque place called the Arawak Beach Inn. The taxi drove through this curved and winding road and finally stopped and I didn't quite know what to expect. I stepped into the check out area and was greeted warmly by Maria who reminded me so much of family. The bar works on an honor system, you serve your own self and write down your drinks on the sheet, a rare perk nowadays. I was taken to my room and I was floored. A king sized bed greeted me (as I was quite tired) so I layed down and looked up to a steeple of a ceiling. The real treat was the next morning when I woke up, stepped onto the balcony to an amazing ocean view. I sat down and took in the moment. After being lazy for a moment I decided to venture to the cafe to see what the cuisine might be like. Even though the menu was pretty basic I was informed that if I didn't see anything I liked, that Maude the cook would make me whatever I preferred. My personal favorites the Caribbean Chicken and the pizza is the best I have had yet! And I got to experience the locals who would stop by who have first hand knowledge of the island and great storytelling. I would definitely visit the Arawak Beach Inn again.

Room Tip: The Premium rooms on the upper level is a must!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

It was our first trip to Anguilla as we have been trying to see some of the smaller islands of the world.

The Arawak was as described and is not for those expecting a 5 star stay.

What it was for us was a quiet escape with a balcony view of the harbor and Scilly Caye. Wake up to the sunrise coming over the hillside and illuminating the harbor water that is dotted with fishing boats and the sky filled with pelicans and other birds that spend their days fishing for bait fish.

The room was clean and the only issue was a screen that needed replaced in the bathroom and Maria and Clinton took care of this the same day we requested the repair. The adirondack chairs on our balcony were perfect.

We only had a couple of meals there as we rented a car for the week and like to explore the island and try new places. Maria was awesome with setting up the car for us which came with one free day when we rented it for 6. We were able to drop it off on the Ferry on the way back to St. Martin which was a plus as it saved us from the 30 dollar cab fee. The meals that we did have were decent though....pizza with ham, pineapple and red peppers, and a chicken salad sandwhich of the day with fresh cut fries. The menu is fairly limited but we expected that due to going in the semi off season. We made our way to the local markets for bread, cheese, and fruits for our daily breakfast which we had early in the mornings before heading out.

The honor bar was great and always stocked with a decent selection and the ice machine was always full.

The island is awesome and the people are very nice....the special rate for $99 a night was pretty spectacular as we can't find a hotel in our city for that price let alone on the water with a bay view from our balcony.

Misquitos were biting when the winds were down but that is why they make bug spray.

We are not high maintenance people so this was the perfect place for us.

Maria went out of her way to drive us to Shoal bay and pick us up since we didn't have a car the first day there and she even offered to pick us up food and such from the market when she was heading out.

We would stay there again no problem....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Tropical storm Isaac was around in August and we were not able to fully enjoy our week in Anguilla. We had to come back only three months later! The value was that the room was at a special rate, and we wanted to fully enjoy the experience of Anguilla. We got a PERFECT view with an outstanding breeze and the rooms WERE clean. One has to remember that this is the Caribbean and there is sand and are bugs and it isn't as if there is a Home Depot is right down the street. The bed was clean and a king size, which is unusual in a smaller inn.We had our own balcony and few mosquitos on the upper floor. You have to let it sink in and learn to enjoy the people and the ambience, and their pace is different, slower, than that of a bustling Chicagoan or city person. Maria was WONDERFUL and Maude made my boyfriend feel right at home when she waived and smiled as she drove by one morning. We loved serving ourselves at the bar, and this is what makes it so special is that at-home feel to it. Why spend the money at Cap Jaluca? I don't see the value. You can meet people at the pool and feel like you are a part of something there. Samantha was all smiles, and Clinton was a take-at-easy kind of guy. Normally you dont get to meet an entire staff at a hotel! The maintenance man was a plethora of information, although unfortunately we never got his name. I did get irritated with some of the guests not noticing that things really are different here, and they were scared of this dog or that dog when all they had to do was be nice to them. Anguilla does have dogs. And goats, and fish, and great beaches, and wonderful people. We regretted not eating more of Maude's food as it smelled devine, but we had such a foodie agenda that we really didn't spend much time eating at the Arawak.We felt safe there and it was a great way to really SEE the island life and meet real people. Island Harbor is right there and Shoal Bay isn't that far away. We will miss you the people of Arawak!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor. the water pressure is a bit light and floors not perfectly even, but ag...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Arawak Beach Inn? Share your experiences!