“Good place to stay for the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Chablis Palenque

You added Hotel Chablis Palenque to your Saves list
Hotel Chablis Palenque
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Merle Green No 7 | Centro Eco-Turistico La Cañada, Palenque 29960, Mexico   |
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Palenque
Ottawa, Canada
“Good place to stay for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I found this place on TA. Rated high with a good price. Accomadation were fine. I was on the 1st floor facing the lovely courtyard/pool area.

Restaurant had ok food. Small bar selection available, adequate for me; I was only drinking Corona.

Pool a little chilly, but clean. Bathroom was a little small, but brand new, spotless and very very clean. Bed was ok. Lots of covers. Pillows fine.

One night the noise was very loud, but I think it was a rarity.

I recommend this Hotel and would stay here again; But on the second floor, facing the courtyard.

Easy easy access to the ADO bus station. 5 minute walk up a beautiful street.

Safe travels

Room Tip: Second floor, courtyard view
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed for 3 nights in December to visit the ruins at Palenque and Bonampak/Yaxchilan.

The good bits:
- The room was a good size, with 2 double beds and a good-sized bathroom. It was kept clean
- 2 bottles of water were provided each day, and there was free wi-fi.
- Service at the reception desk was efficient
- Good access to the bus station, and combis to Palenque ruins
- Also not far to walk into town, or to a supermarket

The irritating bits:
- The noise! As has been mentioned in other reviews - the whole of the road outside is currently a building site (not just outside of this hotel - it also affects the Maya Tulipanes and others on the road). There is almost constant noise from very early in the morning until late at night. The road is still accessible to pedestrians - but watch your step as there were several unmarked large holes in the pavement!
- Not only the noise from the building site - but also on one afternoon there was some kind of party going on by the pool, with loud disco music and people screaming and shouting for 2-3 hours. This was at about 3-6pm, so not unsocial hours - but we were trying to relax in our room as I wasn't feeling very well, so it wasn't really appreciated. The walls to the rooms are also quite thin, so one morning we were kept awake by our neighbours at about 5am.
- Security: There are no safes in the room, so valuables need to be left at the front desk (they are padlocked into a fabric bag). There are prominent signs in the rooms saying the hotel will not accept responsibility for anything that goes 'missing' in the rooms.
- Credit card policy: Be aware that if paying for anything in the restaurant by credit card you will be asked to provide ID (even though the hotel has your room number, and even if you successfully use a PIN for your card). In our case this meant a trip to reception to unlock our valuables - at which point the waiter starts recording my name, nationality, and passport number on the back of our restaurant bill. I appreciate that this is not the server's fault - but I take care over my personal information, and we found this practice completely unacceptable. Why should I have to provide my passport number for the sake of 100-odd pesos for a breakfast? Especially when nobody could tell me how it would be used, or assure me that it would be stored confidentially. We were never asked to do this anywhere else in Mexico, and it left us feeling really angry with the hotel.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at Hotel Chablis in December 2014.

I travelled to Palenque for the historic ruins. Ironically, it was the peace that was ruined. Road and building works were happening all around the hotel. The sound of an electric saw cutting stone is like fingernails on the blackboard. It cuts right through you. Incredibly, the works started before 7am and finished at midnight, with no let up in the sound.

Of course we complained. The staff listened (above the din from the street works). They moved us to a room away from the road. I'm at a loss as to why they put us on the road in the first place. They had no idea when the roadworks would end that night and laughed in disbelief after they checked with the workmen.

Personally, it think the hotel should have contacted us about this noise in advance. It rattled through the whole hotel for 17 hours a day. The hotel is sold on its quiet, relaxing location and atmosphere. I would not have stayed here had I known.

Without the noise, this may have been a good hotel. Large beds, well located close to the bus station, pick up for Palenque ruins and a fascinating stroll into town. I'm unlikely to be back to Palenque any time soon, so I'll never know how nice this hotel might be without constant sound torture.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
western US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Stayed here two nights. My traveling friend, an academic colleague, said the hotel looked like a beach resort, without the sea or sand? Arrived by ADO bus from Villahermosa, and the new bus station is just across the main avenue/highway fronting this EcoTourist hotels and restaurants development. No taxi necessary to get to the hotel and/or the short walk into the town centro. We also picked up/waved down a collective shuttle out to the ruins, out front on a nearby corner. Yes, there was lots of street work and sewer water pipe installations going on, but this was not a negative factor in our hotel experience. I had been to Palenque years ago and found the city center to be small and gritty. This La Canada development just on the edge of the town is a very pleasant surprise. I would now say, the Chablis or one of the several other hotels in this section is the only place to stay. We were here in October, weather was extremely hot and humid. The room air-con and pool were wonderful.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Gorey, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This is a bright cheery place with a good pool. Rooms are a good size with air con and WiFi. I always like to be near the bus station, but this is near the town as well. No distance to pick up a collective to the ruins. At the moment, the road is torn up, but should be lovely when finished. Lots of restaurants nearby but food in hotel very good and reasonable. Bear in mind that the shortest way to town is quite dark and not so beautiful at night, although I would have no hesitation using it.

Room Tip: I stayed twice. Prices varied so worth checking different sites.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, staff were helpful and internet was free and available in the room (but really slow like everywhere in Palenque). The area will be nice and quiet once the paving works are done (they work 7-21 so no problem sleeping). Just don't book tours with them. I got asked 4x what the travel agent across the road charged me in the end.

Stayed November 2014, traveled solo
Perth Western Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The room was good, the bed a bit too hard for me. The staff were hit and miss, sometimes helpful other times busy having a chat with other staff members. The road outside was being dug up when we were there with workman working 'til 8pm (the restaurant overlooks the road) and access only from rear of property. Our room was next to the car park where there was more work being done on the hotel with workers starting at 7am.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Chablis Palenque? Share your experiences!