“Nice hotel to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Maya Tulipanes

Save Saved
You added Hotel Maya Tulipanes to your Saves list
Hotel Maya Tulipanes
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Canada St. 6 | Ecotourist Center La Canada, Palenque 29960, Mexico   |
Ranked #6 of 31 hotels in Palenque
Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia
“Nice hotel to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

It is nice hotel 10 minutes by walk from Palenque center and 15 minutes driving from Palenque ruins. City Palenque is not worth to visit. We spent 2 nights in hotel. Airconditioned rooms were nice and clean. Hotel has a pool where you can relax, Good service, pleasent atmosphere.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

276 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We spent 2 nights in this hotel to visit some ruins in the area. The hotel is basic but sufficient, with the airco working properly but being quite noisy. The property also has a small swimming pool which is convenient for relaxing, although it can be too crowded. Mind the mango tree at the pool as mangoes regularly fall and you don’t want one on your head! (I guess it depends on the season).

Front desk staff was not very friendly nor really helpful to book trips.

In summary, an acceptable option in Palenque and good value if you get it for a good rate.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Corona, Ca.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

Hotel Maya Tulipanes is on a street overgrown with mature trees, this makes it easy to forget you are about 500 meters from the main highway. It was tastefully decorated with a lovely mural at the entrance. We planned our road trip through Chiapas about 2 weeks before Christmas and felt lucky to find a room anywhere near Palenque.
NEGATIVES: Pillows were huge and very uncomfortable , I almost felt like I was sitting up with my head on the pillow, so I rolled up a towel and used that instead. I was never able to take a hot shower, don't know if my son may have used all the hot water but on the second day I even waited an hour after he got out and still no hot water just warm. I know this is petty , the only reason I complain is because we had just come out of Lacandon Jungle having slept in quite primitive conditions and I was much more satisfied with that. I guess I was just expecting more comfort since I was paying so much more for the room.
Must DO: Palenque for sure. The earlier you show up the better, and if you go around the Holidays just accept the fact that it will be packed with people as if you were at Disneyland. This was hard for me to get over , our road trip took us on a loop from Tuxtla Gutierrez, to Comitan de Dominguez through Selva Lacandona up to Emiliano Zapata which were all very serene and quaint, some little lodges had no other guests and then we show up to Palenque on our way to San Cristobal and it was major culture shock . Still a ton of fun and worth a visit, be sure you do not miss las Cascadas de Misol Ha. One more tip. If you are on your way to San Cristobal de las Casa hold off textile shopping until you get there or stop in San Juan Chamula. The only thing I found here that I didn't see in those other towns are some beautiful wooden spoons and cutting boards, I felt lucky to pick those up in Palenque ( little downtown area) because I didn't see any again after that.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Deinze, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

I enjoyed my stay at Maya Tulipanes. Hotel is well located in a green area, just 10 minutes walking of Palenque centre. Palenque Ruins are 10 minutes driving. Rooms are cozy and clean. Rooms also have airconditioning. The hotel has a nice, small swimming pool with lots of green around. There's a private parking for cars (free).
We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant, because food was overpriced. There are a lot of good and cheaper restaurants in the neighbourhood.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Sahuarita, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for two nights in order to visit Palenque, Yachitlan, and Bonampak. We picked this hotel because the price was reasonable considering it was a high season rate ($55 USD). I wasn’t expecting much of a hotel and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived. Our room was very clean and comfortable, but a bit small. The staff was courteous and helpful. The hotel had enclosed parking which was very convenient. I would rank this as a 3 star hotel and would not spend more than what we paid for it.

I would not recommend the hotel restaurant unless you are looking for something convenient and bland. The food isn’t all that great and incredibly overpriced. Their menu is more geared towards foreigners who fear regional cuisine and want to stick to sandwiches, burgers, and simple dishes. You are much better off taking a taxi to the city center and dinning in one of many great restaurants for a lot less money. However, the food servers at the hotel were very helpful and did a great job! It isn’t their fault that the hotel food isn’t anything special. Also, when you ask the hotel staff for restaurant recommendations, they always suggest places that are owned by the same owner. Don’t bother with that and head for the city center instead.

Other reviewers listed the town of Palenque as “boring.” We found it to be a very active and friendly town. We were there during holy week so there were several festivities in the town center which included Marimba music, food, and artesian shopping.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2011 via mobile

Standard hotel. Pool small little character. Palenque is a dull town. Only stay here if you are visiting ruins - which are a must see!. Much nicer places to go in Mexico than Palenque town though

• Stayed April 2011
Lodz, Poland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I don´t know other hotels in Palenque, but this one is not the best choice. We have paid 885 MXN (80 usd), with breakfast. The room we were given at the biginning was at the first floor, looking at the street. we asked for another room and we were offered 2 rooms with windows into the corridors, no daylight, and at last one quite nice room at the second floor (thanks to the efficiency of the concierge, thank you!).
The room was average but the AC was very noisy (no central one!) and there were more clients asking for another room due to this noise. Also there is a karaoke bar downstairs, so we were listening to it all first night long. Wifi was slow and restarting again and again.
What we liked the best: concierge, cheap laundry (1usd/piece), gorgous inner patio, hotel´s quiet location
What we didn´t like: room price, cash change rate at the desk, air condition soooo loud

Room Tip: Book this one online, it´s cheaper
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
obarafun, General Manager at Hotel Maya Tulipanes, responded to this review, April 22, 2011
Dear polska_parka,

In this month we've bought mini split air conditioners for all our 74 rooms to upgrade the rooms. We are waiting for the holidays to end so to start installing the brand new equipments.

Regarding Bar Karaoke, it has installed isolated windows and doors, but sometimes there are clients who sing so loud that we have to tell them to reduce the intensity. We will install isolation painting onto the walls so to reduce the echo.

About WiFi, we have fix the access point that was affecting the others. Now internet is 100% ok.

Cash rate is $ 1 mexican peso below the bank exchange rate as a protection of any sudden increase in the finance market.

Thank you for your input.

Carlos A. Sanchez

Been to Hotel Maya Tulipanes? Share your experiences!