“A nice B&B.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast

You added Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   62 Avila Way, Alexander Heights | Perth, Western Australia, Alexander Heights, Wanneroo, Western Australia 6064, Australia   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Singapore, Singapore
“A nice B&B.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was in Perth on business and normally stay in the city. This is the first time I have stayed in a B&B 15kms outside of the city.

My two colleagues and I were given 3 rooms situated close to each other.

I was given the spa room which meant that the bathroom was huge as it had a jacuzzi inside in addition to the normal shower facilities. It was a good size bigger than the bedroom which had a queen bed and a little space to walk around. As the majority of my room was occupied by a queen bed, it did not have enough space for a writing desk to work.

The two rooms my colleagues had were of a more proportional size with lots of space surrounding their beds and their rooms had nice little desks for working on the laptop. However, their bathrooms were on the smaller side.

Our three bedrooms led to a common pantry area with a fridge and a kettle. Tea, coffee and biscuits were provided gratis. Chilled drinks in the fridge had to be paid for.

The beds were excellent and we all slept well during the 4 nights we were there.

Wifi signal strength in my spa room was fine. However, my colleagues found that the signal in their rooms was weak but usable.

All our rooms were super clean, well kept and tidied up each day.

A reasonable large continental breakfast is provided everyday at 730AM. Should you be lactose intolerant, you would be well advised to either purchase your own lactose-free milk, or arrange with the hosts for it to be provided ahead of your stay.

Check in times are limited to after 330PM. Do bear this in mind if you are arriving early, it's best to inform the B&B ahead of time. Unfortunately for us, we arrived an hour early due to tailwinds on our flight but were not able to check in until 330PM. Thus we had to spend an hour driving around Perth to kill some time.

Traffic into the city from 730AM to 9AM is heavy and we were stuck on the freeway for more than 45 mins.

If you're looking for a quiet, comfortable place away from the city, or if you're visiting businesses around Malaga, you may consider this place an option.

We had a pleasant stay here.

Room Tip: If you need a desk to work, please let them know and if you prefer your rooms to have more space, do...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Michael M, Owner at Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking your time on writing such an informative review. It is really pleasing for us to know that you appreciate the two free upgrades that we applied for you and your colleagues in order for you to have an exclusive area on our premises. It also allowed you to enjoy the most expensive room we have to offer. We’re also glad that you enjoyed the therapeutic massage shower and spa.
We are a bed and breakfast, by this we differ from hotels, as we need time to clean rooms after check-out, do shopping and prepare our place for next lot of guests, our check-in time is 3:30pm, which suits 99% of our gusts. As a small business however we are more capable of catering for the individual needs of each of our guests. We can provide particular information on a number of things on our city such as the best travel routes into and out of the city, shopping and eating advice and tourist attractions. Communication, however, is the key. All of the guests’ needs and wants need to be expressed before we are able to help. Specifically if you asked about lactose free milk we will be able to provide it to you, as well as travel to the city, there are different roots as well as good and not so good timing, it is local knowledge, if you ask we will be able to advice you. We are always trying to guess our guest wishes and fulfil it if possible, but we rely on communication, so thanks again for your review, as it will help our future guests to ask us more for help and us to be even more aware of our guests needs.

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My partner and I decided to stay here for a few nights in the Spa room.

The gentleman at the front desk incessantly reiterated the need to be quiet here and my partner felt somewhat patronised by this. My partner also found that there were a lot of hairs still on the bathroom floor when he arrived and there were stains in the toilet (although he did not take this up with staff). Don't expect to use the spa after 9pm because of noise.

The good: Natalie was very friendly and welcoming. The spa room is a great feature and very spacious with a double shower. Breakfast was sufficient. Room quite small but nice, clean and tidy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,
Thank you for your time on writing this review. It was not our intention to patronise our guest. I am the gentleman at the front desk and I am the owner of the business and I treasure every one of the guests. I never intended to patronise anybody as it is not my personal style or intention. Let me however explain, if you book to any chain hotel (Novatel, Sheraton, Holiday Inn) everywhere in the world the rooms are the same, so check in procedures does not need to be explained, only keys are given. However, since bed and breakfasts are all different and individual, check-in procedures and explanations take a little bit longer. We do that for your comfort and security. Using SPA after 9:00 pm, sorry but we do not apologise for it, we equally care for every guest, SPA motor by it’s nature makes noise and we do not wish any other guest to be disturbed by it. Being in this exquisite room with such well-equipped bathroom you had another option of our exquisite massage shower, which you could use anytime. By the way, thank you for your acknowledgement of how great is the bathroom attached to our Platinum room.
All of our rooms and bathrooms specifically are thoroughly cleaned prior to every guest arrival. It is double checked by the cleaner and the owners of the B&B. Cleanliness are our virtue and are proved by number of reviews.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

A fantastic find, clean and comfortable b&b with friendly owners feels like your at home. Great bathroom (but shared) healthy breakfast (cereals, toast, juice & yogurt) secure, comfortable bed set in an outer residential suburb not far from airport. Rooms do have thin walls which forces you to be quiet to respect others. Owners go out of their way to be of assistance for you. Recommended

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We are so glad that you had a fantastic time at our B&B, that it was comfortable for you and that you felt as if it was your own home. We appreciate that you mentioned futures of our budget section. There is a difference in staying in a room with an ensuit, and a room where you have a neighbour on one, or another side, whom you meet on the corridor to the bathroom or the toilet. This is however more than recompensed by the price, having said that we are pleased to let you know that we made a renovation in January and added additional insulation layer to walls in this section. It is very nice of you for noticing our healthy breakfast, the security on our premises, the comfortable bed and also the good location of our B&B for you trip. We also thoroughly enjoy your company.
We hope to see you again.
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived from Adelaide to stay for 3 nights and Natalie couldn't have made us feel more welcome.
GOOD POINTS
Security here is excellent, our room was spotlessly clean and the breakfasts were varied and delicious.
A big thank-you to Natalie who prepared a special breakfast for us and left it ready in the communial kitchen for us when we told her we had a function to attend the night before and would not make usual breakfast times. That fruit bread was AMAZING!
BAD POINTS
We could have stayed on the beachfront for less money per night
TV in the room was small.
Communial fridge and not one in the room.
Pool needed cleaning
Not a smoker friendly venue you are actually out with the bins to smoke there
Overall we spent little time there

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Michael M, Owner at Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time and sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent stay in Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.
It gives us great pleasure to know that you enjoyed the clean rooms and our delicious continental breakfast. We are very happy to know that our efforts to cater for each guest individually are appreciated and thank you for complementing us on our sophisticated entry and security system.
In regards to the price we in Western Australia are selling a lot of iron ore, but buying most of the rest from Eastern Stated of Australia and around the world. Transport and storage costs a lot and all of this is reflected in prices. Perth is the most remote city in the world and one of the most expensive in Australia and in the world just because of the distance. By Perth standards we are very modestly priced.
The pool is not a heated one, so in winter is not in use, in fact it was in winter maintenance and upgrade and a note next to the gate said just this.
When we planned our bedrooms, we took into consideration that they were for sleeping not for entertaining; and that is why we believe this TV size is appropriate. This is not your home theatre, but a bedroom. The main elements of the bed and breakfast bedroom are a top quality bed, with top quality linen, doonas and pillows which were all provided for you.
We don’t have any small fridges in the bedroom because the quality of sleeping of our guests is paramount for us. Small fridges tend to be noise and this may disrupt your sleep. One big fridge in the kitchenette is better in allowing the guests to put big items into it and the noise from the compressor is not disturbing you at night.
And lastly, yes we are not a smoker friendly venue. On our welcome page written in red ink “The property is strictly non-smoking except in one designated place” 99% of our guests are non-smokers, so for us it is very important to accommodate their needs, your needs were accommodated by providing you with the place to smoke.
Please be assured that all of your valuable feedback is important; through this we ensure that we will constantly deliver the ultimate experience of Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I arrived in Perth with my stay already organised through work so I had no idea what things were going to be like. I was also booked in for a two week stay. On the day I checked in I couldnt of been made to feel more welcome by both the hosts. They were extremely friendly and made me feel at ease right away. The room I stayed in had a nice view, was quite big and was absolutely spotless. The bed was very comfortable and it had an electric blanket also which was really nice on some of the colder nights. The breakfasts were really nice and the shower room was a good size also. The bed and breakfast seemed very well looked after and was always clean. The hosts, Natalie and Michael were extremely helpful in offering me tips on Australian life, where to go, where to find things and places to see. Nothing was too much trouble. This was my first visit to Australia and I also didn't know anyone out here so I cant thank them enough for making my stay so comfortable and for making me feel welcome. I cannot recommend this bed and breakfast enough!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
We glad that you felt welcomed on your first day in our Great Country. We are pleased that our advices were useful for you. You lived in our budget section for fairly long time, as we went to great length to make it very nice and liveable for our guests it is great to know that the result was so good. In our business the measure of success is the guest who is happy to come back himself, or recommend us to others. It is wonderful that we found in you such a person who gave us such a great recommendation.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Just a quick note to say thanks to the good people at the Astoria Retreat B + B in Perth , i travel widely with my work so i am looking for quality and quiet accommodation during my business time across Australia , Astoria is quiet , modern accommodation with good healthy breakfast , perfect fit for me .

See you next time i am in Perth !

Cheers , Kim

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your time on writing this review on Tripadvisor. We know that you are a great traveller and that your opinion about our B&B is vital for us because you can compare us with your past experiences in other similar places of accommodation. Thanks for your good words in your review, commenting that we are a quiet, modern accommodation offering a good healthy breakfast will help other seasoned travellers to notice our existence. The best recommendation however is the fact that you plan to return to us when next time in Perth. Please do, you are always welcome, we try our best to make every our guest stay a pleasant one, but a returning one especially.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I am usually in Perth for business and always looking for a nice place to stay which is different from big hotels. I've been to the Astoria Retreat B&B twice and always had a great time and stay. The hosts are very nice and helpful. All rooms are very tidy and new. (Stayed in 2 different rooms) The breakfast served always has a surprise from home baked bread, cake or fresh picked strawberries. I will definitely come back. :-) Thank you!

Room Tip: The gold room is my favorite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this beautiful review. You’ve stayed with us twice already and was fortunate to experience two of the rooms we have on offer. Thank you for the kind words about your good experience with the rooms, breakfast and service. It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to see you again when you are in Perth.
It’s taken us a long time to answer your review because it has been extremely busy, it is still not late to wish you all the best in the New 2013 Year.

Been to Astoria Retreat Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!