“Home Away From Home” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Oakview Lodge & Marina

Oakview Lodge & Marina
You added Oakview Lodge & Marina to your Saves list
Oakview Lodge & Marina
2029 Little Hawk Lake Rd. | Minden, Algonquin Highlands, Ontario K0M 2K0, Canada   |
Uxbridge, Canada
“Home Away From Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We felt welcome the minute we stepped in the door. Dogsledding, massage, snowmobiling all arranged by Val were a once in a life time experience. Great food, great wine and the at home feeling was perfect. Total relaxation, all details looked after our every need filled. Can't wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burlington, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

My wife and myself accompanied our family for a truly fantastic vacation over the New Years weekend at Oakview Lodge & Marina. We enjoyed the food and accomodations but what made this a truly memorable experience was the warm hospitality provided by the propriotors (Valerie and Krenar) and the staff. We have never felt more welcome and better cared for at any resort before. One night we were a little too adventerous and when we got lost in the woods they came and rescued us at 11:30 PM! I also belive the wonderful food we had for dinner sustained us during the three hour adventure. We are looking forward to our next vacation at Oakview, thank you for everything.

Art & Aimee Hilson, Burlington, ON.

Room Tip: The views of the lake are excellent, be sure to get a lake view room!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Valerie067, Owner at Oakview Lodge & Marina, responded to this review, January 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your very kind words. It was our pleasure to meet you and your other family members. All the best in 2012!
Kindest regards,
Valerie & Krenar
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

If you want to get away and have a fabulous time, this is the place to go. My husband and I just returned from Oakview Lodge and Marina and honestly, I can not stop talking about what a wonderful time we had. I can not remember the last time I was this relaxed with just an overall good feeling.

Where to start? Well, let’s start with our greeting. Valerie and Krenar are the owners and were both there to greet us. They were both very warm and inviting. After we registered Valerie took us on a tour of the lodge on the way to our suite. During our tour she was telling us about all the great things around that we could partake in during our stay. This place is beautiful and spotless. I could not believe how comfortable I felt right away (I am not usually like that). Two of the areas that really made our jaws drop were: the fireside lounge, WOW, it was beautiful. It has a huge flat screen T.V. that we could enjoy anytime (in big comfy couches), A well stocked bar and a gorgeous big fireplace that we didn’t need because the weather was great and the lodge was kept at the perfect temperature with the central air. It was like being at home, only better. The other place that caught my eye was the big private deck (for guests only) that I could sit and enjoy a drink while reading or just to sunbathe after a long swim. Needless to say, I spent a great deal of time there. The thing that caught my husbands eye was that in our suite was our own T.V with satellite and so many channels it was crazy. He was a happy man.

The suite we stayed in was called “The Lakeview” and it was just that…a beautiful view of Little Hawk Lake. Along with the T.V was a bar fridge to keep our beverages. That was a nice perk.
The bed…WOW again, once I got into it I didn’t think I would ever come out, it was so comfortable. If you can imagine a pillow top mattress with the most amazing sheets ever and top that off with a big duvet. It doesn’t get better. Our bathroom was a good size and looked as if no one had ever been in there. There was not one speck of dust or water spot anywhere. I think I might have to borrow Krenar and Valerie’s cleaners…lol. Overall, I have to say that the suite was big, beautiful and amazing.

Last but, far from least, I must tell you about the food. By the amount of local cottagers dinning, it looks like they all know it is the place to go. Krenar is like no other chef I have seen. He works all day then makes magic in the kitchen. Every single dish that comes out of that kitchen is like a gourmet work of art. It makes you want to try everything. My husband and I decided to do the meal plan and it was the best decision we could have made. Like I said, the food is to die for. The last night we were there my Husband ordered the blue cheese incrusted filet mignon. It was an additional $9. but, I can say it was the best $9. we have ever spent. The filet was melt in your mouth perfect, the best we have ever tasted. The dinner and the great bottle of wine our server suggested was the perfect end to a perfect get away. I forgot to mention the staff. They were all great and would go out of there way to make sure you were having a great time.
Overall, our stay was perfect. The location, the lodge, the suite, the food, Valerie and Krenar were all perfect.

We travel extensively all over, and this was by far one of the most pleasant stays we have ever had. I would defiantly recommend Oakview and we will be going back. Maybe later in the fall to see the colours.

Room Tip: They are all great but, if you want a lakeview be sure to ask.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Oakview Lodge for 2 nights. We chose the Lodge based on reviews and we wanted to do some snowmobiling. We were greeted by Valerie. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome and at home. We were shown to our room and given a quick tour of the lodge. If you are planning to snowmobile, the lodge is located right on the main trail. There is ample parking for trailers and trucks. There is also fuel on site.
The food, as mentioned in other reviews, is phenomenal. Krenar is a wizard in the kitchen!! The atmosphere is quiet and homey. Valerie and Krenar make you feel so at home. My husband and I enjoyed drinks and dessert by the fireplace where we watched the hockey game on the big screen t.v.
Our room was small but adequate. We stayed in the sunrise suite with a fabulous view of the lake. The room included a mini fridge and a small t.v with several satelite channels. My only complaint would be the bed. In this particular room, the bed was very hard and lumpy. The room, however, was very quiet and we would have otherwise had a great nights sleep.
There is a spa and hot-tub on site but we didn't partake...
I would recommend this place to anyone. Even if you're just looking for a place to eat... The restaurant is open to the public tuesday - sunday for breakfast and dinner.
Thanks again to Valerie and Krenar for their hospitality! We plan to return someday.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Great location on the RAP trail. Very comfortably equipped cabin with a warm fire. The food was fantastic and plentiful which was much appreiated after a long day out on the trails. The owners were exceedingly friendly and attentive. Great value

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Mississauga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We stayed 3 nights and we both agreed it was one of the best vacations we've had in recent years. From the moment we arrived everything just went so wonderfully well but there are 3 things that really stand out about this place (not in order of preference)

1. Location: A beautiful spot right on the head of a quiet lake with hiking trails almost in their backyard &10 mins drive from bike trails. We intended to hike and bike during our stay so this was just perfect for us

2. Hosts: Valerie and Krenar are the most amazing hosts. Valerie is warm & bubbly and she made us feel comfortable from the get go , she gave us great tips about nearby attractions and made sure we were well looked after. We had a tour booked one morning and they had no problem serving us breakfast two hours earlier than their usual service time. Krenar is the star of the kitchen which brings me to the third and most important reason why if you are ever in the vicinity of Haliburton County you must give this place a look up.

3. Food: When we booked we knew they ran a fine dining restaurant on the main floor of the lodge (with a lounge and bar area equipped with a television) so we booked the meal plan (breakfast and dinner included) and it turned out to be the best decision of our lives The food is gourmet quality, each of us chose a different appetizer and entree everyday and every one of our choices was simply superb. Whether the unique Thai style Mussels or Lamb Shank, the Veal Chop or the Grilled Atlantic Salmon, I'm talking quality that fine dining restaurants in Toronto or New York city would be proud of. The restaurant gets busy at dinner so they obviously already have a reputation with the local cottagers. If you stay here be prepared to gain a few pounds as we did.

There are other positives too, our suite was very clean, spacious & comfortable equipped with a mini fridge and flat screen television with over 200 channels available via satellite . The beds are super comfy with feather pillows that your head and neck will just sink into at night, just what we needed after our active days. The restaurant by itself is worth a visit, I would drive the two and half hours from Toronto just for a meal, its that good.

Thank you Valerie & Krenar, you will be seeing us again

Carl & AJ

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Erin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We travelled to Oakview for a weekend snowmobile getaway with friends. We found the resort on the net and took a chance without have had the benefit of many reviews. It was definitely worth the risk.

Facility
We stayed in the Loon's Nest cabin which is just beside the main lodge. It was perfectly comfortable for 3 couples and had all amenities that we needed. The main lodge is very pretty, with vineyard style decor. The restaurant area is very comfortable with a good view and fireplace. There is also a lounge area with bar/couches/fire place which is great for just hanging out if you chose. Hot Tub area in the screened in porch section which is very convenient. Great to come back to after a day outside.

Spa Services
We booked the spa services about two weeks ahead of our arrival. We had full day of treatments for 2 people - full body massage, facial, manicure and pedicure. The great thing about the spa treatments was having them come to us, as we had everything arranged in our cabin.

The food is exceptional. Very unexpected in middle of nowhere. The menu is very extensive and the prices are very reasonable for fine dining. No burgers and fries, but for a weekend without the family it is exactly perfect! The menu is so appealing that we felt compelled to try one of everything! We spent the weekend trading meals so we could all have a taste! If there was something you wanted that you didn't see on the menu, all you had to do was ask for it.

By far the most gracious service that I have ever experienced at a resort. Valerie is a fantastic host. She remembers everyone's name immediately and treats each guest like a visiting family member. Everything we needed, she made it happen with a smile and a friendly comment.

Location
The location is perfect for snowmobiling as it is right on the main trail. Very accessible to get to many different spots.

I can't think of a single thing that wasn't perfect. We will be making a winter weekend to Oakview an annual event!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Oakview Lodge & Marina? Share your experiences!