“So relaxing...and well fed!” 4 of 5 stars

Hintlesham Hall
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hintlesham Hall, Hintlesham, Ipswich IP8 3NS, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hintlesham
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“So relaxing...and well fed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed this month for 1 night using the tickle deal.

All in all, we had a lovely restful time-staff were very friendly and the room was lovely-so comfortable and spacious. What struck us was how peaceful the whole place was, really good setting to relax in. Unfortunately the spa is under refurbishment so we couldnt enjoy that, but instead we slept, read and ate plenty!! We stayed in the outbuildings, and rooms were a lot bigger than I expected, certainly for a discounted deal. Very comfy and good facilities. The shower and bath were good, although the bath walls were very high, so not good for short legs or people who struggle to bend the knee-I am nearly 5"8 and struggled to get in!

The food was excellent-we ate far too much as it was all so good! We stayed for dinner which was very tasty and a real treat-certainly not cheap but a real occasion. We also ejoyed Sunday lunch the next day, which was really very good. Although we were full from the day of eating, we found room for the delicious lunch!

There were a couple of small issues that stopped me giving a 5 rating, I raised these directly with staff who responded quickly and thoroughly.
The deal advertised afternoon tea, however we were only given a drink and 1 scone with jam etc. I appreciate this was a discounted offer and tucked away in the small print it did clarify, however I understand afternoon tea to also include cake and sandwiches. We purposefully didn't eat lunch as we were expecting a full meal. This meant we were hungry and in the end had to order chips from the bar.

This leads me to my 2nd issue, when we got to the bar we ordered and received drinks and I stated we would want to order food. The bar staff said he would be back "in a few mins" to take our order. We were then left for over 15 mins, adding to my hunger! I looked for other staff to no avail. By the time we were served I was really very hungry.

As I've said the overall stay was great, it was just these 2 things that gave it a less than ideal start. From then on the staff were attentive and friendly, and food was delicious.

Come here for a relaxing, filling treat!

Room Tip: We stayed in Maypole, a lovely room in the outbuildings
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Diss, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Thanks to a Tickles deal my husband and I were able to afford a really luxury stay in this magnificent hotel, (made a welcome change to our normal travel lodge stay overs!). We were greeted by friendly staff and a young man took our case to our room which was housed in the close by converted coach house. As soon as I walked into the room I thought to myself, Wow! It was lovely. A small entrance hall which housed a wardrobe and tea and coffee making facilities with one door leading into the bathroom, which housed a shower as well. The other door led into the bedroom which the king sized bed looked lost in! Also in the room was a comfortable arm chair to lounge in to watch the flat screen tele; a writing desk/dressing table and chair and a chest of drawers all in keeping with the beamed room. The offer included afternoon tea which we enjoyed in the drawing room before exploring the wonderful period building; my favourite room was the garden room with the comfy chairs and sofas and an open log fire, a warm welcome to any guest. A nice touch was during the early evening a young lady knocked on the door to see if our hospitality tray needed topping up! The breakfast, which was also included in the price, was more than sufficient. We then had a walk round some of the grounds which in the summer could be enjoyed more. Good checking in and departing times allow you to have plenty of time either end. Perfect!!

Room Tip: Thought as we were only paying half price for a room we would be given a standard room but if ours...
ESSEX, ENGLAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Had a fantastic weekend staying at Hintlesham Hall on a special break booked on their e-newsletter promotion, stayed on a Saturday night which included DBB and a Superior Room.
, Hotel has the wow factor when driving in, check in was fine.
We enjoyed a great lunch in the adjacent Golf Club Bar, good choice, nice views and great value, highly recommended.
Our superior room was called Regalia, and was very spacious with stunning views, large bathroom, with three large picture windows and a open fireplace, probably best bedroom we have ever stayed at in the UK, stunning.
We dressed up for dinner and enjoyed pre-dinner drinks and canapés in the bar whilst browsing the menu and excellent wine list.
We were called into the Dining Room, which was a very romantic candlelit setting, dinner and service was truly 5* outstanding.
After dinner we enjoyed a further nightcap in the Library complete with roaring log fire.
Breakfast was good without being outstanding, then we had a walk around the Hotel/Golf Course grounds which was very enjoyable.
Book this Hotel for a special occasion or romantic break and you will not be disappointed.
Already looking forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: Superior Room Regalia was superb
wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Had a great few days at Hintlesham, despite getting a smallish room (Blossom) up in the attic - and we soon realised why it had a humungous fan in it! Very hot, could not seem to get any air in there. But it had an enormous shower and the bed was very comfy. The pool is still closed (and seems to have been since July) but as it is outside I guess we might not have used it even though it is heated. Food great - well executed and assembled - apart from the really disappointing basic supermarket crackers with the (good) cheese - no imagination or presentation which I think we could have expected for £12 - not even a few grapes or celery!

Room Tip: smaller standard rooms are on the second floor in the wings - under the eaves. Worth getting an upg...
Essex England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

A building full of character greeted us on arrival at Hintlesham, and I must say first impressions, from the welcome we received from the staff, was encouraging, pleasant but not overpowering. Our room was of good size with a large on-suite bathroom, in need, I must say, of some refurbishment, or at least some deep cleaning. (I can’t stand black mould in showers when simple products are available to remove them) Having said that the room and bed were very comfortable. To me the highlight was the dining experience. I found this to be excellent. Manageable menu choice, excellently prepared, professionally served. All the restaurant staff were efficient and exceedingly pleasant. Afternoon tea in one of the many lounges is a must, comfortable and indulgent ! All in all a good hotel that could be even better with a little more attention to detail in the bedrooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was very happy to stay here, the staff on reception and the porter who carried my bags were friendly and chatty. The room was superb, def worth £89, very comfortable bed and large bathroom.
I had room service which was delivered quickly and stil v hot.
Would certainly return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed a night here as part of a wedding party. It is in a pretty location, reasonably close to Ipswich, although we didn't go to Ipswich itself. When we arrived, the receptionist had obviously just rung someone, and could have put the phone straight down as she didn't appear to get through to anyone, but didn't. We were disappointed with our room, Streamers, it was quite small, and the bathroom needed some refurbishment. The shower wasn't very powerful. The breakfast was fine, but not outstanding. Most of the staff were quite helpful. However, my husband accidentally left his jacket downstairs in the evening. The next morning, when we asked the receptionist about it, she sent me to the cloakroom to look for it, but it wasn't there. In he end it was only because I asked the breakfast staff about it that we located it. Overall, there was nothing really bad about our stay, but if I wanted a similar place to stay, I wouldn't go back, as there are plenty of other places to choose from, where I think we might do better.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hintlesham Hall? Share your experiences!