“Worst Meal I've EVER Had” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US-518
Kingston, NJ USA
“Worst Meal I've EVER Had”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Service extremely slow. Food horrible. Main dining room is too large and open, so noisy and not intimate. Expensive. I don't have anything nice to say.

• Visited June 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Princeton, New Jersey
“Never going back”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

The bottom line: slow service, terrible food, higher-than-advertised prices.

We made a reservation for Mother's Day brunch after seeing their online brunch menu, which looked interesting. When we got there, the prices were approximately 50% higher than online and many of the items weren't available on the "holiday brunch menu". Our fruit platter was a few pieces of melon and some berries; it came with whipped cream rather than the cottage cheese listed on the menu. When we asked for the cottage cheese, they said they were out. My Tropical Waffle was so awful I didn't eat it - it was gluey and tasteless and just had some chopped up fruit on the top with a few crumbles of granola. My husband's Grand French Toast was advertised as "double thick french toast in our batter of pure vanilla, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, cream and a touch of orange liqueur" - it was completely plain French Toast. My daughter's stuffed French Toast was fried, which was not mentioned, and rather than coming with the banana blueberry salsa, just came with some chopped up fruit. None of the dishes came with maple syrup; when we requested it, we were given those little plastic tubs of "breakfast syrup" like you get with the free breakfast at a hotel. Speaking of the free hotel breakfast, I've honestly had better waffles and French toast out of the warming trays than I had at this restaurant. We were exceedingly disappointed and on top of everything, had to go home and eat lunch because the food was so awful we couldn't eat it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hillsborough, New Jersey
“Great atmosphere, excellent dining!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

It was my birthday and we decided to go to Tusk. It was amazing! The restaurant is beautiful and is a bit exotic looking with asian statues and marble flooring. It is expansive so many people can sit and enjoy their food without being on top of people. The service was outstanding. Dan, our server, was very attentive to each of us even though we had a party of six and we came in at different times. The chef came out to say happy birthday and checked on our table a few times to make sure we were happy with the food and servce. The wine list is strong and there were many options for non-wine drinkers as well. The food was nicely presented and everyone enjoyed their appetizer and meal (even my picky family members!). There was a small band/combo playing and, as I left, they played a jazzy rendition of Happy Birthday to me. It was a great experience. Even if you just wanted to eat in the bar, it is graciously appointed, the same food available there and there are large flat screen TVs if you want to watch sports, etc.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
East Windsor, New Jersey, United States
“Place is extremely nice - lacking patrons though”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

If I was rating this place on how nice the building and staff were, I'd give it a five. However the food was mediocre and the ambiance was 'empty.' Therefore, I came up with a 3. I was here at about 6pm on a sunny saturday, and it was dead. Completely dead. Not sure the place will last long considering the property is huge and someone has to pay the rent! I do hope it takes off though!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Big and bold, Tusk delivers on taste, if not style”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I visited Tusk with six co-workers at the beginning of a two-week stint in Princeton. My boss selected the restaurant, and I almost passed after reading the mostly negative reviews. After reviewing the eclectic menu on-line, however, I felt compelled to give it a try. I'm glad I did.

The restaurant is a large stand-alone just outside Princeton proper. It is an attractive, modern design with ample parking. The interior is large, perhaps too large, and we were greeted at the door by a lively crowd enjoying (apparently) the happy hour specials at the fully stocked bar. The dining room, again, is extremely spacious, which regrettably gives the restaurant an empty feeling, though there were plenty of couples and groups dining. The decor was new but not fresh. It was nice but cliche.

We were seated quickly by a friendly hostess (who wisely recommended the seafood blini). The servers were attentive and prompt, but we never knew who was actually responsible for our table, and the servers never knew who ordered what. They called out each dish, and we raised our hands to let them know where it went. Perhaps that was intentional and meant to enhance the charm. If so, it did not work. If the food was not as good as it was, it would have been a significant turn-off. As it happens, it was only a minor distraction from an otherwise lovely meal.

The table shared a variety of appetizers, including the calamari, which was prepared with an Asian flare, pot stickers and raw oysters. All were well-presented and tasted great.

I opted for a spicy tuna roll instead of a salad and was not disappointed. For an entree, I went with the hostess-recommended seafood blini, which was stuffed with lobster, scallops, lump crab and ricotta. It was a risky choice given one review that described the crab cake as mostly breading, so I was pleased to discover that the ricotta did not overwhelm the seafood, which tasted fresh despite our fairly rural, inland location.

No one at the table complained about their food. I do not know what everyone had, but a couple of my colleagues tried the pad Thai (one chicken, the other shrimp) and the beer braised short ribs. They were extremely pleased.

I would recommend this restaurant. Although I was close to ranking it "average," the food quality and unusual menu warrant a "very good."

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

If you own or manage Tusk Restaurant, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.