“A little piece of heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Gougane Barra Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gougane Barra, Ballingeary, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballingeary
Carlow, Ireland
“A little piece of heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011 via mobile

I cannot praise this hotel, owners and staff enough, we had our wedding here in sept 2010, nothing was too much for them, food excellent, location perfect, they made our family and friends feel so welcome, it felt like they opened up their home to us, we felt that comfortable, highly recommend this hotel, Neil &Katy and all the staff made our stay for the weekend perfect we wouldnt change a thing, we should of stayed longer thanks again guys

• Stayed September 2010

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Trim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

Even before I arrived, I was impressed - while booking over the phone and speaking with the owners, I could sense I was heading to a place of hospitality. My single room, which overlooked the lake, was perfectly clean and well equipped. I ate in the restaurant and the food was excellent! Breakfast was also delicious. I had a few drinks on the night of my stay and everything was very relaxed - people were sitting in the lobby, and the rooms adjacent to the bar. The staff were very friendly. My only complaint was that the water did not drain quickly enough from the shower tray and hence it got rather full. I wish I could have stayed longer but I will definately be back. Gougane Barra is a beautiful place. A real gem! If you like hiking make sure you check out the fabulous routes through the forest.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

Our stay at Gougane Barra Hotel couldn't have finished off our wonderful tour of Ireland any better! The serene, beautiful setting with attentive service (from Neil, the owner/manager, no less!) was remarkable. Rooms were simply and comfortably furnished, with genuine antiques and lovely views; our room had a shower ensuite, all expected amenities and had a clear view overlooking the lake and chapel. It's wonderful to see the care and attention obviously given to the hotel, as it's an older building, but SPOTLESS inside-and-out, charming and receiving a fresh coat of paint to the front windows when we arrived! Pride of ownership shows well here.

Kudos to Katy, Queen of the Kitchen, for a dining experience out-of-this-world, the food was fresh, lovingly prepared and presented, and beyond delicious!! A nice selection of wines was available, as well ... worth every penny. Breakfast was also one of the best eaten while on tour, tasty, generous portions and wholesome, healthy choices.

A MUST to make the trip to stay here ... we would definitely stay again, and for longer!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Nenagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

Spent two wonderful days here recently. It is difficult to put into words how lovely the setting is, it is really stunning. The food is just to die for it was only after we left we considered we had two breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners and there was not a pick left on any plate when we had finished. There is innovation in the food too on our first night I had chicken with a type of curry mash - yea sounds like it wont work but was just delicious. On the second night I had some halibut and my partner had lamb as always we tend to share meals. I thought my halibut was great (well it was) but the lamb served was just out of this world, I can honestly say I have never tasted better lamb.

The rooms are very comfy (only gripe shower could be better), the hotel itself is sort of olde worlde in a charming way. The staff there are excellent really friendly and helpful.
We really really loved this place and we will be back again hopefully quite soon.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Newry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

Welcome to paradise . . .

We had our wedding in Gougane Barra at the end of April.

This place is an absolute gem in one of the most beautiful places in Ireland we have ever been to.

If you are looking for a perfect setting for a wedding of around 70-80 guests don’t waste your time looking anywhere else. The scenery is out of this world & well worth a visit for a weekend break.

The owners Katy & Neil went out of there way in every respect to make sure we and all our guests had a stress free couple of days. You will travel far a field to find hotel owners like this. They are genuinely interested in making sure your stay is 1st class.

The food was amazing also, we had called down a few months before the wedding unannounced & the standard of food was top notch, tasty & very well presented.

This is a great family run hotel with great core values that add to the experience. Perfect for a great Irish wedding, weekend break or retreat.

Would recommend this to anyone with any hint of taste.

Will be back!

Room Tip: Lake View Room
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Mystic scenarie at the end of nowhere. Friendly owners, helpful and informative. Small rooms but nicely furnished. Well equipped bar with good whiskeys. We got a good introduction by the owner into the differences between the various brands that he could offer. Lovely dining and breakfast room overlooking the lake.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

My partner and I stayed in this remarkable hotel during a recent bicycling tour in Ireland. I'll get the basics out of the way first. From nook to crook, the hotel is gorgeous -- everything you'd expect from a word-class hotel. The rooms were extremely comfortable, beautiful, and with lovely facilities. The restaurant was outstanding. I wasn't expecting amazing food in a remote part of Ireland -- but got it. The location: it simply must be seen to be believed. In the shadow of a massive hill, overlooking a stunning lake with a beautiful chapel in the middle, and surrounded by forestry, you'll feel like you've stepped into an Irish fairy tale. This hotel matches the best of them by every possible objective standard.

I feel compelled to make a special mention of the unusual level of hospitality provided by the owners Neil and Katy. On our way to the hotel, we got lost and, after more than 12 hours of bicycling in cold, windy weather, ended up arriving well into the night and after dark. We found out that Neil had been very concerned about us and had made several calls to try and find out where we were. Seeing that we were physically exhausted, Neil spent a lot of time making us feel comfortable, warm, and relaxed. Even though the restaurant had closed, he had the staff make us a dinner (it was delicious), specially served us in the drawing room area, and Neil repeatedly checked in with us to see how we were doing. He also spent some time just hanging out with us -- he has quite an interesting background as a service industry professional and a great sense of humor! The next day, he volunteered to review the next day's cycling instructions line by line, re-writing them for us in "plain English," and generally making sure we were "good to go". His wife Kay went out of her way to spend time with us as well, and is a charmer! In any event, this sort of personalized, genuinely warm hospitality went above and beyond what anyone can reasonably expect at a top-tier hotel and what really makes this hotel unique. I hope to return to this hotel one day, but in the meantime anyone reading this go out of their way to stay here. It's an experience they'll be very glad to have had.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Gougane Barra Hotel? Share your experiences!