“aniverseary treat” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa

You added Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ellesmere Road, Albrighton, Shrewsbury SY4 3AG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“aniverseary treat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on Saturday had a warm welcome.
Meal in hotel restaurant was lovely would recommend for a special treat.
Staff were very polite but not too over the top would go to this hotel again .

Stayed February 2014
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Guest,

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable stay at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.

The staff and I very much appreciate your lovely feedback. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We booked into the Shrewsbury Mercure - Allbright through Bookings.com as part of a mini tour around Shropshire and Ludlow areas.
The hotel is a little way outside the town of Shrewsbury, which almost means you are a 'captive comodity' as far as evening meal goes. We could not raise any response from the reception despite using the bell a number of times, no matter we will just ask for the menu at the restaurant as we pass. We were asked which room we were in so they could give us the correct menu? It seems that it depends on your booking tarrif as to which menu you get? Despite asking the 'maitre d' "why it matters which room we were in?", we didn't get a sensible answer. Incensed, I would sooner have gone hungry than eaten there, but my partner was insistent. I asked again when booking out for an explanation of why it is necessary for the room number to indentify the tarrif to identify the correct menu - is it that on a package you get smaller portions? or that on a package you only get limited choice from the 'Table-de-hote' menu? I'm afriad there was no suitable answer, I was left under no delusions that the long held feeling of 'the internet room' being the one without the view at the rear of the hotel overlooking the kitchen fans and glass bottle collection area is true, but you also get limited menu choice too.
Another point the 'mini-bar' in the room had been removed leaving an empty cupboard, which left the impression internet bookers cannot be trusted with the mini-bar?
We did eat a bar meal (not the original plan) at the hotel and the food was good with exceptional service from 'Alfonso'.
Would I stay here again, yes because the setting and accomodation is good but I WOULD GO BACK INTO TOWN FOR DINNER there are numerous options there, it just means a long taxi drive or having to not have a drink with your meal.
I'd still also like to understand from the hotel what the actual policy is on which menu you are offered?? they were offered a number of opportunities ................... We left without breakfast - a family emergency pulled us south.

Do not be fooled by the scoring on service, Alfonso saved the bacon here from the rest of the staff it was poor.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I went here for a long weekend to celebrate our 17th wedding anniversary.
The staff were outstanding, friendly and welcoming yet discreet. We were allowed to feel that the hotel was in some way an extension of our own home.
The food, we had dinner and breakfast both days, was simply outstanding. The wine list was just right and we were able to choose a good wine to complement our meal.
The bedroom was large and quiet with a very comfortable bed and substantial easy chairs.
The spa was big and well equipped, we lacked for nothing.
Highlights? In a weekend of highlights... drifting into an oak paneled lounge with a log fire, sitting with another couple drinking a good Cognac, when Felipe silently entered and put another log on the fire and this at close to midnight.

Room Tip: Just ask! We were on the corner of the building away from the sap - Room 2.
Dear Guest,

The team and I very much appreciate your kind words.

We’re glad you chose to celebrate your 17th wedding anniversary at Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa and that found time after dinner to fully relax in the drawing room by the roaring fire.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in the very near future.

Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Stayed for 1 night 21/02. Myself and my partner were attending a ball down the road at the albright hussey hotel but we chose this hotel purely because it was cheaper. On arrival I was impressed nice gardens and ample parking spaces, the hotel exterior was impressive (having been a national trust member I have visited many stately homes). The reception itself required walking up a few steps which is a small inconvenience. The reception staff were excellent, we were checked in promptly and proceeded up to the room. The house itself was great, glad to see it retained some character (mini grand piano, nice staircase and various portraits). We opened up the door to the room and it was great, decent layout, comfy bed , plenty of wardrobe space, massive bathroom and oh wait... the view, was excellent overlooking the decorative pond and gardens.

Right a few minor cons(being picky):

Window area was dated: Screws hanging out from the loose hinges and loose fittings.

TV was slow to navigate and batteries were loose(case broken on remote control), random cable that I thought had something to do with the speaker in the bathroom but couldn't get it to work. A notice said we could plug the audio cable into out mp3/phone into TV but this wasn't supplied.

Bath had a few long hairs in. Extractor fan in bathroom didn't function amazingly.

Room was overlooking reception so was quite noisy at times.

Didn't choose breakfast option as this was pricey. Looking at other reviews maybe if this was reduced a little there would be more custom.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the positive comments; I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in Shrewsbury again very soon.

Southampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

Stayed here for three nights did not have breakfast @ £15.50 or evening meal, vastly overpriced! The restaurant was empty, they need to get real, I got a lovely breakfast in town for a fraction of that, shame on them for exploiting the public nice hotel ruined by high food prices, this is not the west end of London it's Shrewsbury!

Room Tip: Rooms must include breakfast if not go elsewhere!
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments.

I hope we can welcome you back to the Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury very soon.

Plymouth, Devon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

This country house hotel experience comprised both positive and not so positive elements. Having stayed at a lot of Mercure properties over the last decade, I cannot help feeling that the continental ones perform better all round. Starting with breakfast, this Mercure did not really come up to the standard I expect; arriving in the dining room at a few minutes after 8 a.m., I was surprised to see the hot plates were still devoid of items; admittedly, this changed by 8.15 but I figure I must be charitable and assume that no guests before me expected eggs, black pudding, sausages, baked beans and so forth. Whilst the waiting staff were prompt in removing empty plates and seemed amenable, the range of produce is not what I have experienced (especially at Berlin An Der Charite, which is my benchmark). In terms of staff that I had anything more than a greeting with, Helen, on Reception, was welcoming - and efficient on check-out the next day.

Turning to the bedroom, mine was in the original part of the mansion. In fact, it must have been immediately above the main door to the hotel; if not, I am even more astounded as I will reveal. For I was woken at 03.10 by the front door being opened and closed. Incredible how the noise transmitted because the ceilings on the ground floor are high, as are the bedrooms, and I presume the intervening woodwork is probably the original structure and not think chipboard. Needless to say, I was not amused and I meant to tell Helen it would be worth installing a quieter closing mechanism on the front door. Another potential for noise transmission was the fact my room had a connecting door; yes, I could hear what was being said but the level of noise was not too loud.

Having mentioned the original part of the property, it's worth noting that conversion of a property like this is always going to mean there are quirky aspects. However, there is no doubt that some refurbishment is due. One of the photographs with this review shows some of the poor paintwork in the bedroom - I was reminded of Mayor Giuliani's zero tolerance policy in New York... that might seem abstract but the little things do matter because they become incremental. This is reinforced by the large hair I could not help seeing as I looked at the bathroom for the first time for it was beside one of the taps; being generous, it was just one.

On the positive side, the hot water from the faucet was almost immediate. There was a steam iron and trouser press. On the other hand, the wi-fi connection was weak to put it mildly; having two appliances with me I tested both in case it happened to be the table or telephone and not the hotel system. So, I mixed experience at the Mercure Albrighton Hall.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for leaving your thoughts on Tripadvisor.

The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My fiancee and I booked a one-night winter escape spa package at Albrighton Hall through spabreaks.com, which included a Privilege room. The first couple of hours of our stay were slightly unpleasant - We arrived at 1pm, two hours ahead of the designated check-in time of 3pm (which did seem a little late), in order to relax and have some lunch in the bar. We did not receive a particularly warm welcome at reception, and nobody took the time to explain how we may use the spa facilities prior to checking-in.

Upon returning to reception just before 3pm, we were told that our room was still not ready. No apology or explanation was offered for this, and the cleaners were still inside at 3:15pm. We were also told that we had a dinner reservation at 6:15pm, rather than 8pm, which we had booked several weeks in advance, and was clearly marked on our confirmation. When we challenged this, the staff agreed to fit us in at 8:30pm, but again no apology or explanation was offered, and we were made to feel like this was all somehow our fault.

On the positive side - the room itself was large and lovely. There was a big comfortable bed, and it was dual aspect, with views of the lake and main building. The bathroom was also large, even if the shower was slightly weak. Robes and slippers were provided.

Our experience at the spa was excellent. We were greeted in a warm and friendly manner, and provided with excellent massage treatments, on time, by the lovely staff. Afterwards we were able to enjoy the facilities too, which were busy initially, but became a little quieter after 5pm. There are two saunas and a large steam room, as well as a small jacuzzi.

Likewise, we really enjoyed our time in the Oak Room restaurant at dinner. The food on the three-course set menu was very good indeed, and the service was excellent throughout from the staff.

We paid a supplement to have breakfast delivered to the room in the morning, and this arrived on time, was very good, and correct to order.

Check-out was smooth (if a little early at 11am), but I was disappointed to find that I had been charged for my newspaper on the room bill. When offered the option of a newspaper on checking in, I specifically checked that this would be free of charge as we had a privilege room, and was told that it would be. This was all very misleading.

Overall - great facilities and spa/restaurant staff, but very poor service from the reception team let the side down.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a privilege room - nice view, larger, nespresso machine
Dear Guest,

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay.

Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed.

Front Office Manager

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!