“Appalling accommodations but great staff and good food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa

You added Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa to your Saves list
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ellesmere Road, Albrighton, Shrewsbury SY4 3AG, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 40% OFF THIS WINTER
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Albrighton
Lot-et-Garonne, France
“Appalling accommodations but great staff and good food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

I stay in a lot of Mercure hotels and most are very good but this hotel is a sad exception. The staff are great, food good but the building is terrible. It must once have been a boarding school or maybe a mental hospital I think, but the building was wrecked in the the 1980's. The interior is a shambles - full of cheap 1980's faux brass and dodgy patterned carpets. Horrid.

I suffered several rooms! One with wafer thin walls, one in an outhouse that smelt as though someone had died in it and a third one with broken blinds, filthy windows, a wardrobe door that fell off in my hand, used soap in the shower, no tea tray, stained carpet and a remote control that needed new batteries.

For the infirm, there's no lift and I had to scale more flights of stairs to get to my room than I care to remember,

All of the staff I spoke to were charming and my late night snack and breakfast were great but this hotel is a shambles and completely unmanaged. I can't recommend it and I'm very surprised its part of Mercure.

• Stayed June 2013
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would personally like to thank you for your constructive feedback. I would like to reassure you that we will look into the points raised and address them accordingly.
Kind regards
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed a couple months ago. Booked for one night. Ample car parking which is great. Reception was ok. the room was on the second floor . No lift which is a pain as it was quite a walk and uncomfortable when your partner packs so much for a night away!

BUT the room was very good indeed. Four poster bed, comfortable. it was more of a suit as it had a lounge area. Bathroom was good EXCEPT that the shower did not work and could not get fixed .

We were then snowed in. So we stayed another night. I expected a decent discount for second night under the circumstances. A discount was given but it was not very decent. We were moved to anoher room for the second night which was in their new(ish) wing. The bed was v comfy and we made lots of use of it ;) .

The breakfast on both days were really poilt by poor service. No smile, no 'good morning', no er, nothing except when i asked for cutlery, the reply i got was ' I am French'...

Carpets on stairs need changing, badly worn. Not very good value or money. Oh, there was a Spanish/Italian chap in the bar.. he was cool.

Room Tip: Ask for the new ish rooms. I think it is the lakeside rooms..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you, for taking the time to add your feedback to Tripadvisor. The staff and I very much appreciate this. I do hope that we can welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in the not too distant future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel. Staff were very helpful and the rooms very relaxing and spacious. Only thing missing for a 4 star hotel was a safe in the room.
We attended a family wedding and witnessed one the day before - all parties seemed very well organised and the staff very obliging. Prices of the drinks were equivalent to London prices, which was disappointing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,
Thank you, for adding your lovely feedback to Tripadvisor. The staff and I very much appreciate your kind comments. I do hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa in the very near future.
Dolgellau, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We always like to wait before writing a review because so many seem to be written to express an injustice on the spur of the moment. This is so in the case of the Mercure at Albrighton, we have stayed at many Mercure properties and because Shrewsbury is not far to travel we decided on a one night stay to celebrate a birthday without having to drive back home after a good dinner. The Wine & Dine experience seemed ideal. Let us mention all the good points first (by now, you, kind reader will realise there were some bad ones) The room was lovely, furnishings good and ultra clean - Mercure can always be congratulated on their housekeeping. The staff in reception were helpful when booking. We always have a problem when booking any hotel with lifts or ground floor rooms as we must have one or the other. My wife and I both have problems when walking, she being worse then I, and cannot do stairs or walk very far. When mentioning this matter we were told there was a ground floor room near the restaurant, so far so good. What we were not told was that the room was in a separate building across the driveway and that we had to phone reception who would then phone the restaurant who would open a side door! Needless to state when we did this there was no answer to the phone because they were busy with incoming guests so I had to walk all the way through reception to ask personally for the door to be opened. I do wish receptionists could understand just what it is to be disabled. As is was we were lucky it was a fine evening otherwise we would have been wet.

However, having finally achieved the Dining Room we looked forward to our 'Dining Experience' and the Mercure 'Tasting Menu'. To me this implies small quantities of various dishes so we were surprised that the menu given was virtually a standard three course meal plus and 'Amuse Bouche' and a sorbet. Actually the 'Amuse Bouche' should not be part of the menu but is a little treat from the chef after the meal is ordered and is being prepared. Also included were wines from 'Les Grand Vins', but we were just asked red or white and then they were poured, only when asked was the bottle shown, the white was an Arien , not the greatest variety. Back to the meal, the Amuse Bouche was a little trout pate, the first actual course was a crab and prawn terrine, this was very good, then a small over sweet sorbet followed by a main course rump of lamb, quite enjoyable but very ordinary - what happened to our experience? The dessert offered was a chocolate dish but we chose cheeses which were the best part of the meal in variety and presentation. It was not a meal worth driving 70 miles for. It is unfortunate that all hotels cannot be all things to all men. This Mercure is undoubtably a superb conference and Spa hotel but serving the older and incapacitated members of society is a different world.

Room Tip: Only having seen one room can't be helpful
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Thank you, for taking the time to add your constructive feedback on Tripadvisor. Please allow me to offer my full apologies for not living up to your expectations. We’ll look into the issues mentioned and address them in order to prevent them from happening again. I hope we can welcome you back to Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury some time in the future.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I have been this hotel many times and every time I've been I'm wowed !Perfection is truly the Albrighton Hall!Great leisure facilities ,just lovely to relax !Rooms are perfect!I will def be back soon :)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
h6629, General Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you, so much for adding your lovely comments to Tripadvisor. The team and I very much appreciate this. We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.
Sutton Coldfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We use the hotel every year to hold our annual management planning conference (for 8 persons only). Suffice to say, we've been doing so for 20 years now and we've only been disappointed one year. when we told them so, they bent over backwards to ensure that everything was fine the next year and it was and has been ever since. Great rooms, great restaurant, great service, beautiful grounds. Brilliant!

Room Tip: I have to say that, having stayed in all parts of the hotel, all the rooms are excellent. However, m...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you, so much for your lovely feedback. We as a team at Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, fully appreciate all constructive feedback, and we then use this as a training tool with all staff on how to move forward in providing good customer service and satisfaction.

I will of course forward your very kind comments on to all staff, and we look forward to welcoming you back next year.
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Spa was a welcome relief after a days cycling! Comfortable accommodation. Welcoming staff. Best of all was the help yourself breakfast figs and other lovely fruits, lots of choice. However wine cost a fortune £22 a bottle!! Restaurant food was nothing special. Service was excellent in a hotel way not friendly but very efficient. It was a lovely quiet place to stay and facilities were very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
h6629, Front Office Manager at Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Guest,
The team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit to Shropshire. We look forward to welcoming you back at Albrighton Hall Hotel & Spa in Shrewsbury.
Kind regards,
Front Office Manager

Been to Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!