“Get what you pay for!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Globales Costa Tropical

Save Saved
You added Hotel Globales Costa Tropical to your Saves list
Hotel Globales Costa Tropical
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Maestro Leonardo s/n, 35630 Costa de Antigua, Fuerteventura, Spain (Formerly Apartahotel Costa Tropical (Oasis Tropical))   |
“Get what you pay for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family, my boyfriend and I went on holiday here for 9 nights. From the 17th July - 26th July and I can say that I was feeling very nervous after reading good and bad reviews about the hotel, I didn't really know what to expect!

At the airport after we had landed we were told the transfer coach from the airport to the hotel was 40 minutes, turns out it's about 10 minutes away and was cheaper to get a taxi!!

Positives- When we got to the hotel the lady who checked us in was very helpful and cheerful which is definately what you need after a 4 hour flight!

When we got up to our room we found it pretty much spotless and with an amazing view on the balcony of the pool and in the distance the sea. Although the beams going across the top of the balcony had paint peeling off...they got painted during our visit though :)

After a few days, we got used to getting up at crazy o'clock to get sunbeds! It's quite amusing though watching the security guard taking off people's towels cos they put them on and just left them there, a tip- make sure you sit with the towels up to 8 o'clock and he won't touch the towels :)

After two days in the sun, my boyfriend got sun blisters on his shoulders! Luckily we had antiseptic cream and dressings in the first aid kit we had bought with us which only lasted the day. The next day we went down to reception to ask if they had any dressings or anything we could put on them, the receptionist asked to see them so we went into a room which was behind reception and he took his top off to show her. She recommended going to the nearest pharmacy. We then asked her where the nearest one is, she said there was one in Caleta De Fuste but it was a Sunday so it would be shut. So she offered to take us to the one at the airport. So at about half past 4, after her shift she took us to the airport, only to find that it was shut! She then said " okay I'll take you to the nearest town from here, which is on my way home anyway" so she took us to puerto de rosario and at the pharmacy she came in and translated to the lady in the pharmacy to make sure we had everything we needed! After this she dropped us at the bus shelter were we got a cab back to the hotel! She was so helpful and we were so lucky that she had offered to take us :)

Sebastian- who we nicknamed manuel (from faulty towers) was pretty much everywhere! At the bar, in the restaurant and even in the disco- when it opened one night! He was fantastic and so helpful!

Negatives- When going up to our room during the day you could smell sewage from the toilet which was really gross. We had to leave the balcony door open during the day to make sure it didn't smell! Then on top of that we had been there for 6 days and the maids had failed to change the towels! It was gross! Then after we asked them to change them they did, the next day they took the three clean ones from the previous day and replaced with only two towels! So off I went down to reception to ask for an extra towel. We heard nothing and two of us had to share one towel!

I was very disappointed to see that the pool bar wasn't open- even though I'm not old enough to drink- I'm sure my boyfriend and mum were upset too! The excuse they used was that the plastic cups would blow away in the wind and cause lots of rubbish around the pool. There were lots of plastic cups around anyway as people went to the pizzeria or the bar to get drinks and bought them out to the pool!

Overall a nice hotel and you get what you pay for really, I was very impressed with staff as we didn't come across anyone who was unhelpful or rude! Plus the food was of a variety different fish everyday, chips, some kids food was put out one night- after lots of complaints- nothing really to moan about, just your average all inclusive food which is exactly the same at pretty much all hotels!

• Stayed July 2013

906 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Polish first
Inverness, Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here for 1 week. Yes, the bungalows are basic & bit tired, but you always had clean sheets & towels. I am a vegetarian, & found it a struggle to eat mainly lunch & dinner, as fish or ham is put in everything!!! Always fresh salad & bread to fill you up..Food got very repetitive so we ate out also for some variety. The poolside was kept immaculate & all staff worked very hard.

Room Tip: Bungalows are nice but basic, didnt get much noise from bar in evenings.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have just returned from Costa Tropical, and had an interesting (and somewhat entertaining) time. We were in a group of 8 and had 4 self catering bungalows next to each other. I say self catering, but one bungalow failed to have a kitchen, merely a kettle and fridge. The bungalows were very inconsistent, and a little run down. In our bungalow we arrived to find no toilet roll, a balcony door that didn't lock and a dodgy lock on the downstairs door. There was nothing in the kitchen bar a hob, fridge and sink so we wouldn't be able to cook anything if we wanted to. When we went to report the locks and toilet roll the man behind the reception desk seemed to think we were being silly and that the balcony door would be fine. We ended up taking napkins from the restaurant as toilet roll that evening. The following morning a much more helpful woman on the desk sorted out toilet roll and sent the handyman to check the front door. However he didn't do anything except lock it for us, and we still couldn't do it ourselves, so we went back again the next day and they finally sent a new man to replace the lock.

The maid service was inconsistent, some days we had the bedding made into a bow and lots of towels, but we rarely got a bath mat so the entire bathroom flooded due to the shower curtain being too short. One day the bed cover was left thrown on my suitcase-the maid had taken it off my bed and obviously couldn't face putting it back on. A few times the bathroom didn't look like it had been cleaned at all after their visit.

The pool was bitterly cold, and at least 5"7 deep which I didn't like as the sides were quite slippy so if you needed a rest you had to cling on for life to the side. Lovely big pool area though! However not enough beds for the size of the hotel, and by half 8 every bed would have been reserved by towels (grrr). The pool bar was never open which is a shame as its a lovely bar and would have been really nice to use. The excuse about plastic cups is ridiculous, as people just went to the bar or pizzeria and brought out drinks from there instead, so cups were still everywhere.

I can't understand why the pizza is not included, as it is surely cheaper to produce than veal stews etc? And much tastier too! the buffet in the restaurant was a mixed bag, but over the week we were there I didn't find much I enjoyed eating! I wish the restaurant had a sangria pump like the bar and pizzeria, as its much nicer than the wine! And all the drinks are served in ridiculously tiny cups, so we would get 4 each every time we went up to the bar/pumps!

It was quite a quiet area, but as we had hire cars we went off to a different part of the island each day as the pool area was always full. Beautiful island, lots of empty buildings though due to banks pulling out funding during the recession. Quite sad to see really! The beaches at Castillo and Corralejo are beautiful, and the restaurants at Corralejo are fab, in a beautiful setting.

The hotel has so much potential, and could be really lovely if they just stopped cutting corners and were more consistent. The staff were very friendly overall, and despite a few issues we had a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: Check it has a kitchen and toilet roll!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chichester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My fiance Mick and I just spent two weeks here and loved it.
A lot of people are moaning about the food, especially saying "there were no chicken nuggets for the kids" Well all I can say is shame on you for being so narrow minded and not introducing your children to something a little more adventurous than Icelands finest!!!!! And just to be picky, yes, there WAS chicken nuggets one night ha ha. There was so much to choose from but if you are there for 2 weeks you will notice it is repeated on exactly the same days. So much salad and fish to choose from, dishes from around the world, fresh vegetables, rice, pasta and of course ALWAYS chips on offer. We had pizza one night but only as a treat, not becasue we couldn't stomach the restaurant food. Also went out for a meal in town to Slow Boat II. Lush! Again, just as a treat.
It is very quiet however and not a lot to do for the kids but it never stopped me when I was one, there was a pool and other kids, what more do they want? :-) Some of the part time parents there however did need to stop enjoying the bar quite so much and pay attention to their little devils! Chickie was the worst child ever (fondly named by friends we had made, you can imagine why!)
We paid £19 each for a transfer from the airport to the hotel which we were told would take 20 minutes. Don't!!!! It takes just under 10 minutes and some other friendsds we made told us they only paid 8 Euros in a taxi to the hotel. Seriously, you can see the runways from the end of the road out of the hotel. Do not let this closeness to the asirport put you off though, there is no real noise polution being slightly off the flightpath.
Water polo every day was fun (apart from Wednesdays, poor Jose's only day off) which Mick loved! The evening entertainment is a lot to be desired. I think we entertained most people one night with our "beer pong" antics! I do not enjoy watching poor parrots and eagles etc being paraded around by the most dull man in existence and then the kids parents get charged to get photos taken with them. Sick!
Pool is freezing but ok when you get in.
Safe is a rip off at E29.50 per week and E10 deposit but had no choice as upstair bedroom patio doors did not lock!!!!
Squeakiest beds ever!!!! I was so tired the second week after keep waking myself up every time I turned over I think I just passed out one night! But hey ho, nothing is as ever as good as your own bed is it?
The bar is ok and well stocked, Sebastian is a dude. Plastic cups ok for the day and around the pool but seriously for the night!???? Bring your own glass/beaker!!!! They will top it up for you, no worries.
Go feed the chipmunks on the seaside walk from the hotel to town (which takes more like 40-50 minutes! Never believe a review that says 10 minutes. I walk fast and even without a poorly foot (which I injured BEFORE my holiday) it would have taken me at least half an hour.
My best tip for other things to do - go to the marina and book to swim with the sea lions!!! AWESOME!!! David you swim and dance in the water with, then get kissies and the after more kisses and photos with Donna! LOVED it!
Piero's is a scream in town. You have to go for a giggle and reasonably priced beer or 2. The acts are fun. It's basically 4 pubs in one sunken "valley" of a beer gardent with lots to choose from and a massive games room for the kids.
Would I go back? No, but that is more to do with being done with Spain more than anything else. Tired of it now and itching to go further afield again :-)
Never did find the jacuzi or sauna!
Girlies take a couple of cardigans/pashminas etc with you. It's still very windy at night and it gets seriously CHILLY!!!!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow if you can, quieter, bigger if a wee bit dated.
East Wittering, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My Fiance' & I returned on the 24th after 2 weeks at the Tropical.

So, here we go.....

Reception: Very good. There were a few couples in front of us on arrival, who had to wait for their rooms & check in was quite a lengthy process, however our "apartment" was ready & we quickly got the keys. The chap was very polite & spoke very good English. Throughout our stay, they were very helpful.

Accommodation: We were given Bungalow B33. Basic, old but spacious & clean. It was set back from everything so no noise from the bar, yet close enough to the pool area. Straight away I noticed there was no water, at all. I returned to reception to let them know. Within 5 minutes the maintenance guys were there & we had water. The beds were comical. Every time we turned over, it was like being on a really noisy trampoline! Full sized bath & the shower was good. The safe's are a rip off. 28.50 Euros per week plus 10 Euros deposit. We felt we needed one as the bedroom patio doors do not lock. All the bungalows need a full refurb as they are now looking & feeling tired.

Pool: The pool was very nice, if not cold. Once you have braved the initial "Flippin 'eck!", it's not too bad. The area & pool itself was cleaned every evening & morning. Be prepared to camp out from 7 am on-wards to guarantee beds with parasols. You will also need to stay with the beds until 8 am, other wise the grumpy security guard will remove the towels & put them in reception! Take an iPod, the radio station that is aired from the pool bar plays the same old stuff over & over again. I now hate Daft Punk & know every word to Blurred Lines.

Restaurant: A controversial subject. For us, the food was actually ok. More than enough variety & all seemed to be fresh. This is, of course our opinion. Breakfast was the usual affair. Que for 10 mins behind the family getting 145 slices of toast. There is only 1 toasting machine.... For us, there was a good choice in the mornings. Lunch was ok too; Salad, fish, various meats etc... Dinner was also ok, if not a bit repetitive. You may read about the Pizza's. Get one, they are very nice! We only had one once as a treat, not because the restaurant food wasn’t good enough!

Bar: This really grated me. Sebastian is fantastic. Always knew what I wanted, always polite & was always smiling. During the day I can understand the small, plastic cups. However, it makes no sense in the evenings. You get massive ques with people totting up their drinks & getting wet feet while balancing them back to the seats. Take your own glass, it will gladly get filled & I wish we had.

Cleaning: Overall, the hotel was kept clean. Our bungalow however was missed a couple of days and I had to report this to reception therefore meaning no loo roll. The guy at reception promptly raised his voice to a member of staff & apologized.

Entertainment: Poor old Jose'! Football, darts, table Tennis & my fave Water Polo filled his days. The evenings were pretty poor, as I'm sure the previous reviews have mentioned.

Staff: I have to say, we did not come across any rude members of staff at all. They all seemed to be working very hard & were pleased to help.

We met some amazing people while we were there. Michael & Lyndsay, Andrew & Sian, Emma & Laura & Paul ("FREEEEEDOM!") The Scot and many more.

Girls – take a cardigan or something, evenings are very windy and can be a bit chilly!

I would not say this hotel is for couple's. There were A LOT of children & unfortunately some were with part time parents.

DO NOT pay for a transfer. The hotel is a mere 8 Euro taxi ride away. I'm annoyed we payed for our transfer when booking.

Calete is a 5 Euro taxi ride away & offers a few bars & restaurants. You have to try the Slow Boat II Chinese, it's amazing & Piero's for a giggle.

If you want to pick holes & moan about things that you would have no doubt read about in previous reviews, what's the point in booking?!

Would we go back? No, only due to some other guests (and their kids!) and the evening entertainment, nothing else. If you want a no frills holiday, I would recommend it though.

Room Tip: The majority of people preferred to be in the rooms in the main complex.
Chester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am a great believer in the principle, you only pay for what you get but I also believe what a company advertises for the money, should be provided. This is where the Globales Tropical fails miserably, I have stayed at another Globales hotel, the Cortijo Blanco in San Pedro, which is fantastic value and does provided what it says it will. Both hotels are of a similar cost but they are like chalk and cheese in comparison.

The surrounding location is as promised, quiet, which is okay as long as you want to stay in an area which is half built. It is a half finished development that has been stopped midway through the project. For the villas that have been built, half are empty with for sale signs in their windows. It is not an encouraging sight to see.

The hotel itself is basic which was expected but the food was appalling. I have lived abroad for most of my adult life, I will eat almost anything but it has to be cooked to a standard which is edible, something the Globales Tropical knows little of. There were were numerous complaints by many guests, with the usual management promise of improvement but of course none was seen. On one occasion there was a mass complaint where the guests children could not eat and a tin of chicken nuggets was hastily prepared for them, a temporary appeasement. Bugs were present in the salads, now I like salad but not with bugs.

Kids can only have an ice cream whilst the main restaurant is open, they have to pay at all other times. The snack bar stops the snacks around 6 pm and that is it until the next day.

The hotel does have a Pizza bar which you will pay for. Now it has to be asked why a hotel where the emphasis is 'all inclusive' does such a good trade amongst the guests for pizzas which cost upwards of 7 Euros.

There are a handful of restaurants in the area, one being Chinese, serving excellent food. It is extremely busy in the evening, with all inclusive guests from the Globales Tropical.

The brochures display a pool side bar but it is not open. The management gave a few reasons, amongst them being the wind. Apparently in July it's too windy and blows the plastic cups over therefore it can only open in August. Another classic reason for it being closed was a lack of staff. "A 25% increase in staff next week" he told us. We were there for that next week and it remained closed. It seems to be a hotel that specialises in the 'NEXT WEEK' syndrome.

Regarding service it could argued that the Globales Tropical excels. My wife and I awoke one early morning to the sound of scraping. The walls of our apartment were being prepared for painting, this was long before the restaurant was open for breakfast. We then endured 3 days of paint fumes in our apartment.

However the security at the Globales Tropical is present. We arrived back from a very pleasant evening in Caleta de Fuste, it was 12.30 am. We sat outside the bar which was closed and chatted to another couple. Two uniformed security men arrived and used only four words "GO TO BED NOW" I am 60 years of age and I have never been told to go to bed before. Yes thank you Globales Tropical, you made my night special, it was a first for me. Do they need reminding people are on holiday?

I am an occasional drinker but be prepared for queues to get a drink and if you are in the queue for a drink at 10.45 pm, the bar will close to all inclusive guests at 11 pm if you have not already been served. You can of course purchase a drink after that time.

Entertainment is promised, now if my wife and I were younger with children, there would be very little for them to do. My heart goes out to those with children who have booked the Globales Tropical. As for adult entertainment, 14 nights with entertainment on just 3 nights, a snake show, a parrot show and one singer. The snake and the parrot show were basically a chance for children to see a snake and a bird and be photographed with them at a cost of 10 Euros for each picture.

I feel sorry for the staff at the Globales Tropical, my wife witnessed one of the hardest working young ladies we have seen, being reduced to tears in front of guests, by what we presumed to be the head manager. On the subject of the manager, yes this rather plump bespectacled buffoon walks around raising a hand to guests saying "Ola" but my wife overheard him ridicule the English guests one morning at breakfast time.

As I say I we have stayed at another hotel within the Globales group, which was fantastic in comparison to the Globales Tropical. It did not turn out to be a reasonable priced holiday for us because we were forced to eat out.

Yes I still believe 'you pay for what you' get but this hotel ranks as the worst I have ever stayed in and the reality is they should be paying you to stay there. But they could never pay me enough to go back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Stay here was great, you definitely get what you pay for, food is ok there wasn't much for me but I'm a fussy eater but overall the food was ok, pool area was fantastic don't think I've stayed anywhere cleaner, but confused as to why they didn't open the pool bar but the normal bar opened at 3:30 and was also very clean, all the staff are lovely and speak fairly good English, the best staff member being the entertainment manager who's name I don't know but he was lovely, as I said you get what you pay for. The rooms and such could do with a bit of attention for instance, squeaky beds (very comfortable though) and door frames that came away from the wall a bit, but other than that the rooms were fantastic.

Really get what you pay for, would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2013

Been to Hotel Globales Costa Tropical? Share your experiences!